Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I saw a link to the script for SALR in the OP of this thread, but I don't get what I'm supposed to do with it. I have this saforums-operahighlight.js file, but where am I meant to put that and how do I make it go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kevin Bacon posted:

I think you look for your javascript folder in opera:about under "Paths", and just stick it in there and cross your fingers. I'm not sure though

I don't see anything about Javascript there: :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

I think it's actually Preferences -> Content -> Javascipt Options -> User Javascript Folder

Ah, apparently it was unset in there, which is why it wasn't showing up in opera:about. Hopefully it'll work now. :-)

Edit: It is working now. :-D

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You know how when you right-click an image, the menu that pops up includes the option "reload image"?

What is that supposed to do? It never seems to have any effect at all, for me. I've tried clicking it when an image was fully loaded, when it had stopped loading part way through, when the image was within a page, when I was just viewing an image by itself, it just never seems to have any effect at all. So what is it actually supposed to do and why isn't it doing it for me?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

What's Google's objective in doing poo poo like this? Why Opera, but not Firefox?

For a while they were disabling the WYSIWYG editor in Blogger if your browser identified as Opera as well. It's been changed back since then, and identifying as Firefox made it work fine, so it makes no sense that it was disabled.

I don't understand why websites disable themselves based on your browser choice. If you want to put up a warning saying that some things might not work as expected because it hasn't been tested in that browser, fine, that's reasonable, but if I want to use that browser anyway and stuff doesn't work, surely that's my problem? You don't need to save me from myself here, I can make my own decisions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

keyframe posted:

Just installed Opera and loving it but something is annoying the poo poo out of me.

It seems opera does not remember the zoom settings on the websites you bookmark or visit. The text is way too small by default on my monitor so I have to zoom in a couple times. On chrome and firefox I just had to do this once for a webpage and then the browser remembers the setting each time I visit. In Opera it keeps resetting to the default zoom level when I relaunch the site. Any idea how to fix this or is this how it is in Opera?

As an alternative, you might want to try

Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Fonts -> Minimum font size

This can occasionally mess up layouts on some websites, and if there's text that's actually supposed to be really tiny then it will come up as normal sized, but it does help make everything much more readable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I had a bunch of stuff open that I was going to look through later and Opera crashed. I assumed this would be fine since it should just bring back any open tabs, but the latest version apparently has a bug where it doesn't do that and just loads the last saved session instead. :-(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have Opera set to open windows instead of tabs but when I click a link in another program (IRC or Twitter client for example) it opens in a new tab of the first available window anyway. Anyone know if there's a way to change that? Or at least get it to use the last available window instead of the first.

Also, if I accidentally close a window that has multiple open tabs, there's no confirmation dialogue to prevent me from doing that. I'm sure there used to be and I can't find the option for it, and I'd really like that back.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I used a skin that made Opera look eerily like Chrome for a couple of months simply because the tabs/icons were slimmer so it had roughly 3.5 pixel more ~~rendering space~~. :colbert:

I have the tab bar hidden and use right-button + scrollwheel to cycle between tabs to get extra screen space. :-)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

And don't most skins merge the tabs into the window bar between the Opera Menu and the minimize/maximize/close buttons anyway? I love that feature, can you do the same for other bars (like the address bar) as well?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Here's what my menus and address bar look like.

Are you saying you can put the tab bar into the very top bit, above the menus somehow? That sounds awful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Seduced Milkman posted:

This is the setup that i use.

I have to use other browsers at work, and even Chrome's UI setup feels bloated to me.

Is it just the back, forward and reload buttons you object to?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

I'm pretty sure even Firefox does this now (just press the Alt key to pop the toolbar menu up). I'm not sure if they were the "first" or not, but Opera did the single Opera button thing in... 10.50 apparently.

That looks vaguely familiar to me... is that Linux? Gnome 2/Mate or something?

Linux Mint MATE.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LooKMaN posted:

Do you really use menus though?

Yeah. I use the Bookmarks, Feeds, and File -> Sessions menus all the time and the others less often.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have a window open all the time with Facebook loaded, and that window is not maximised. All the other windows I have open are maximised, and the "Maximize New Windows" option under User Prefs is set to 2 (Always maximize, including pop-ups), but every time I open a new window it comes up the same size as the Facebook window, not maximised. Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing and need to fix or is this just broken?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I typically have 20-30 Opera tabs open and <100 Chrome tabs open. I find Chrome better at Ajax-heavy pages and the like, but Opera better at primarily-text based stuff. Funnily enough thought I was moving away from Opera for a while but Chrome has started getting a little bollocks recently, especially in terms of memory usage.

I was using Chromium as a secondary web browser for a while but I found I'd have to completely close and reopen it every couple of days or my computer would becoming unbearably slow, so I'm mainly just hoping that Opera won't start doing that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

eXXon posted:

This is facebook for the last week, both on 12.11 and 12.15 with or without adblock. :downsbravo:

I don't know if it's what you're already talking about with adblock or if that's a different thing, but if you right-click and go "block content..." then click details, if there's anything in there that isn't a specific image then that could be it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Has anyone else been getting text appearing to the top right of an image instead of the bottom right in Opera? It's been like that for me for a while now, and I was wondering why and how I can change it back?

What text? What images?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

Just like on Opera 14 for Android, we've merged bookmarks into Speed Dial, which give you a visual overview of your favorite pages. You can now group Speed Dials together into folders, just by dragging one on top of the other — if you want, you can name the folder via a simple right-click.

What the hell does this mean? How do you merge bookmarks and speed dial? Does this mean that all bookmarks will now appear on the speed dial page whether you want them to or not?

quote:

Do you sometimes find yourself browsing the web, and coming across pages you want to save for later — e.g. a list of favorite gadgets on Amazon, or a selection of hotels on a booking site? This always posed a problem in the past, and many were using their tab bar to hold tabs for later use. With Opera 15, you can Stash a page, and return to it when you have time.

Isn't this what bookmarks are for? How is "Stashing" something different from bookmarking it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

I always thought Speed Dial was very "smart phone" and never adopted it (plus I like clean, fast and low resources interfaces, maybe to a fault). I know some people love it, absolutely love it, and I mean them no ill will or anything honestly, but it is just baffling to me I won't even have the option of simple, quick lists of urls...

I use the speed dial all the time, but I have no idea how it's supposed to replace bookmarks. My speed dial has the 16 sites I use most frequently, but I have hundreds of bookmarks — I certainly don't want all of them on my speed dial page. I can't imagine how they'd even display that. Some of my bookmarks folders have dozens of items in them, would I have to further categorise them to get them to fit on the screen?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So, if Opera 15 doesn't support bookmarks or feeds, what happens to those if I upgrade? Do I just lose them all? Is there some way to get my feeds out of Opera and into some other program, keeping the posts I've downloaded and remembering which ones I've marked as read? Do I need to be worried about this or is it something I can ignore for now and only deal with after I find Opera's updated itself?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

naptalan posted:

And while we're on Opera replacements... guys, stop using a browser to store all your bookmarks! Use a service like Pinboard

Why? Serious question. What's the advantage?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

huh, yeah. I'm in that 90% and my reaction was still YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES, YOU WILL REGRET THIS for some reason. Then again I'm still using 12 and wishing there was a way to disable tab stacking.

Can't you just not use it? I never even knew it was a feature until it was mentioned here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

down1nit posted:

the quick pop up menu when you double click.

What? Double-clicking just selects a word.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm having a problem with scrolling on my laptop. When I use the touchpad to scroll in Opera it zooms around way too fast, but works perfectly in every other program. Anyone know of a solution to this? All I found with some brief Googling was a bunch of people suggesting to change the touchpad sensitivity, but obviously that would effect everything, not just Opera.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

You could try if two-finger scrolling works better, or use middle-click-panning.

I don't think there is any way to scroll with my touchpad other than with two fingers, and there's no middle-click button. Besides, middle-clicking in Opera seems to do a Google search now for some reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Are you maybe using Opera 15? Also, the other way to scroll is to slide along the right border with one finger. Anyhow, uh, maybe disable smooth scrolling? Or get friendly with the page up/down keys.

Opera 12.16, and my laptop's touchpad doesn't have that scroll area on the right side. Or, if it does, it must be disabled somehow, because running a finger up and down the right edge just moves the pointer. And I tried turning smooth scrolling on and off and it didn't seem to make a difference. The arrow keys do work, but it's just really irritating that I can't scroll with the touchpad in Opera when it's working fine in every other program.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I think the "right side of touchpad" thing is a driver-specific feature. Most laptops I've encountered have a Synaptics touchpad/driver, which did have that feature, and it didn't work with Opera. There's an ancient thread about it here: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=10280
I remember one of those tweaks working for me way back in the day.

Even though you're using two fingers, not that, you may want to see if there is something relevant in the touchpad driver settings. I vaguely recall an app-specific settings area where you could specify to scroll x lines instead of default y. It's been years though.

Buried in one of the menus you'll find a "middle click options" button, and if you set it to "do nothing", then autoscroll will always work without opening tabs, searching anything, etc.

All I can find is the "ELAN Smart-Pad" settings, which doesn't seem to have many options at all. I an change the scrolling behaviour universally, but not just for Opera.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wheany posted:

Oh dear, seems like Youtube has been updated again and now it's broken in Opera 12.

Seems to be working fine for me. :shrug:

Version 12.16
Build 1860
Platform Linux
System x86_64, 3.2.0-23-generic

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

So, Linux. There's a semi-official statement here, basically saying "we want a linux version, there will be a linux version - but we won't give dates until we have something good enough to let people test it".

In less public/official news, there are now multiple employees working full time on the linux version (and you certainly didn't hear that from me).

So this is a warning to watch our updates to make sure we don't accidentally "upgrade" from Opera 12?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Mmh, it's more that the old UI was also an acquired taste for a niche of power users - good for keeping a small and loyal fan base, less so for expanding into the great unwashed masses. I guess moving to a new codebase was seen as a good time to re-target for, well, a lower but more common denominator.

How is that expected to work? The only thing Opera had going for it that I can see was that it was a niche product for power users. If Opera is just a regular browser like any other then why shouldn't anyone just use Firefox or Chrome, which have far greater name recognition and are explicitly supported by most websites?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Separately - how much more or less annoying than chrome would new opera have been if it were released under a different name? (A rose by any other name might not get the same reception, etc. Not to imply that it's entirely rosy.)

I still wouldn't use it, but it would be way less annoying. I'd still be annoyed that Opera was being discontinued to work on this new browser that was way worse, but calling it the same thing when it very clearly isn't is just obnoxious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Quick answers: Rightclick+scroll is apparently one of the top causes of "wtf just happened" among opera 12 users, so it's unlikely to return as an enabled by default thing. I can nag about off-by-default but don't expect wonders.
It's one of the things I love about Opera and wish other browsers would do. I have the tab bar hidden entirely and just use that to switch tabs, it's fantastic.

Riso posted:

Also IE11 has by default a menu in the tab bar to let you reopen the last 10 tabs you closed.
This, on the other hand, is something I hate about Opera 12. My recently closed tabs list right now has over 150 things in it, and the last tab I closed isn't there, so not only is it inconvenient because of its size, it also doesn't seem to work properly. It seems like it would be really handy if it was limited to only a small number of tabs and actually worked though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Are you using a lot of different browser windows?
Yep. I like to use a combination of windows and tabs.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also my version has a button to manually clear the list of closed tabs, unless you rack up 150 closed tabs in 10 minutes that should solve the problems (and you can always access that stuff via history).
Yeah, you can clear it manually, but the only time I think to do that is when I want to reopen a closed tab and by that stage it's too late.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Opera (Next) has been really glitchy with the keyboard shortcuts as of late. For example, I will try to search for something (Ctrl+F) and Opera will sometimes randomly switch tabs instead.
For quite a while now I've had a similar issue with mouse gestures, but in Opera 12. I'll right-drag down to open a new window and it reloads the page instead (which should be right-drag up-down) and other stuff like that. I think I first started noticing it when they added that big circle thing that pops up when you hold RMB, but it's gotten really bad more recently. Probably since the update to 12.16.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

uXs posted:

Since about yesterday, when I do a Google image search with old Opera, I get a list of images with some text below them. Clicking on the image brings me to the website of the image.

It used to be that I got just the images with no text, and clicking just gave me a larger version of the image, with a sidebar with 'visit page' and 'view image' and related images and poo poo.

Any idea how I can get it back to that? All my other browsers still do it the 'correct' way.

For some reason some Google sites have started identifying Opera 12 as a tablet or phone. I've got it set as "mask as internet explorer" to make image search and Calendar both work correctly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Oh come on now. When there's seriously advice being given in this thread along the lines of "well sure Opera 12's still good, as long as you have a second browser for twitter. And facebook. And tumblr. And..." it's a pretty drat good sign that the browser's broken for the current web environment, and it's not going to get any better. It's a web browser, not a marriage. The sooner you swap to something that just works all the time with no hassle the less work you'll have to do later.

I'm not any happier about it, but that's just how it stands right now.

Opera 12 still works for everything I need, including Facebook and Twitter. Google sites throw up a message telling me my browser is unsupported, but everything still works fine. :shrug:

That said, I would switch if I could find another browser that has the features I use regularly. In no particular order:
  • Mouse gestures for (at minimum) reload, new window, cycle tabs, back and forward (both right-drag and two-button methods as I use both).
  • Ability to conveniently block individual images.
  • Customisable search from the address bar.
  • Fit to width.
  • Page zoom visible on screen.
  • Hideable tab bar.
  • Customisable speed dial.
  • Loading bar that pops up at the bottom while the page is loading.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Facebook's searchbar is not usable from the newsfeed (though usable from account pages) and Twitter's interface doesn't play nice with Opera 12, specifically when you're viewing twitter account pages where the account stats bar overlaps over the rest of the page contents as you scroll down, like so:

Whatever is causing you these problems is not inherent to Opera. I just checked and Facebook's search bar works fine, and Twitter looks fine to me.

Wheany posted:

Google recently switched into some reduced functionality mode, but I guess it also works in that it still lists search results and you can click on them.
Google is genuinely weird in Opera, but you can fix it. Just set the site preferences for all affected Google sites to mask as Internet Explorer. It will tell you your browser is unsupported, but everything works fine.

naptalan posted:

You can do all of these in Firefox, and most in Chrome. I don't use zoom/fit-to-width or image blocking so I can't speak to how well the addons work, but they do exist.
What really keeps me from switching is the fact that these features are add-ons. I would actually have to find out how to add these features to the browser rather than just having them be available. In some cases I imagine I'd have to try several different options before I found one that worked the way I wanted. I basically want someone to go "Here, click this button to turn Firefox into Opera" (not that I actually expect anyone to do so).

Eventually I will probably be forced to switch, but it just seems like a lot of work right now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

That explains things. Opera 12 has always been a second-class citizen on *nixes. All of the advantages it has over other browsers are only manifest on Windows.
So what other browser does everything Opera 12 does?

Cuntpunch posted:

For SA alone right now I have a tab open constantly for pretty much everything I'm currently following day-to-day. This keeps me from needing to go hunt them down if they're pages back, or deal with maintaining my Bookmarked Theads list when I want to stop following something. I have my threads open and when I want to see updates I just open the tab and f5.
Haha, yeah, that sounds way easier than clicking a little star to have the forums software automatically keep track of threads you read and tell you when there are new posts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I don't understand your question. Did you misread what you quoted and asked an honest question? Are you trying to be funny? I can't tell. Rephrase please?
If I understood your post right, you're saying that Opera 12 has no advantages over other browsers unless you use Windows. I don't use Windows and I do use Opera 12, because I haven't found another browser as good. So my question is, what other browsers have the features that Opera 12 has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I use GMail anyway, but I really like having RSS feeds integrated, for the same reason. I can skim through the list quickly opening ones I want to read in the background then go through them once they've all loaded.