Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Nice job. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Could you linkify "UserJS" with http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

DevastatorIIC posted:

You can pull anything you want (or link to) my Opera page.
Holy Christ. I could kiss you for ridding me of Opera's BitTorrent.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Does anyone know a way to circumvent Opera's proprietary behaviour, when it comes to mail and RSS; i.e.: Is there a way to integrate Gmail (in a non-POP3 manner) and direct me towards my Greader, when I go to RSS feeds - Feedburner ones in particular?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

krylex posted:

EDIT - since I last updated opera, I've been noticing a lot of threads seem to have an infinite scroll bar.
Infinite or just very long? The latter applies to me, at least.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Wait. Wasn't there a link to two spell checkers before?

Have I gone blind?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

the Dealy Lama posted:

I had not thought of this before, even though I read this already and learned some tips on how to get opera to like the forums here more. But it just occured to me that I should ask here: how can I make the spoiler tags work, for me they show the text in white with a black background. No spoilering action here.

Little help?
Are you experiencing the problems "vanilla" (i.e. out of the box) or after applying some coding magic?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Mustach posted:

I hope this has better Javascript performance and compatibility; that's all I think Opera is lacking in on the web browsing front.
Aye; browsing Google Reader is a downright nightmare.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I've just installed Opera 10.0, but I can't switch tabs with keys 1 and 2. Can anyone recall how you bring back the old keyboard shortcuts, because fidgeting with the Shortcuts tab doesn't seem to work.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
When trying to listen to a radio stream, I get the message that I need to install a Windows Media Player plug-in. It doesn't offer me a link to said plug-in, however.

Anyone?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
All of a sudden, Opera no longer focuses on the new tab opened but remains focused on the tab already in use. How do I fix this?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Lakitu7 posted:

I used the beta for a couple weeks on my laptop during the holiday and didn't run into any issues at all, which is drat good for an alpha. Has anyone found any real reason not to just start using 10.x series now?
Overall it's doing fine, but I'm experiencing some pictures being mixed (odd smilies replacing the Quote button on SA for instance), and some particular reproducible instances, where Opera freezes and crashes. As for the crashes, you're in the clear if you don't use DeviantArt, and as for the smilies, I have no clue what's causing it; I'm using an urlfilter, so I'm not going to blame Opera solely based on that.

Aside from that it's perfect - despite being in alpha fase it's doing great.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Aborted Fetus posted:

Opera 9.62 / 9.63 / 10 all seem to be giving me an odd issue with some transparent gifs. I haven't tested to see if it depends on the transparency method or color yet; I actually hope I don't have to, as I doubt any website will change every gif they have for my sake.

The images appear to be fine until the pages finish loading. Also, identifying as Opera, Firefox, or Internet Explorer doesn't make one bit of difference.

Other than that, hot drat do I miss Opera. I stopped using this browser around version 6 or 7. I can't remember which one, but javascript problems finally made me move to other browsers. Those 'other browsers' are now uninstalled.
I vaguely recall having one such problem. I can't remember the solution, unfortunately, but:

You say, that you've tried the three versions. How, exactly; did you try some other versions, when you ran into the issue? And if so, did you make sure to delete all the Opera files - remembering the ones in %AppData% (at least that's the destination in Vista)?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
R-click -> Reload every ...

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
New version of Opera 10.0 out - presumably the beta version.

The downloader doesn't work, though. :smith:

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Dangit. Do you know, where the download is stored on the computer? The Opera homepage doesn't seem to be updated with the new version.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Casao posted:

I got the update notification, but it freaked out about 9.5 still being installed and said I would have to do it manually.
That's the one, yes. I don't have any other version of Opera installed, so I'm at a bit of a halt.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Is there any way of changing Opera's native landing page for RSS feeds? For RSSs, I'd prefer to save them to Google Reader, and for podcasts I'd like to to at least be able to download the podcast links.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

xlevus posted:

I doubt it. I think Opera looks at the XML header and not the MIME type of the page.

But what you could try is:
Ceate a new handler (Settings->Advanced->Programs) for MIME type "application/rss+xml" and associate it with the program 'http://reader.google.com/subscribe/whateverthefuck?url='
Thanks. Can't get it to work - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The link seems to be "http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/<feed url>". I've tried inserting it in various creative ways, but it doesn't seem to take priority over Opera's native handler.

Protocol: application/rss+xml
Program: ?

How would you go about it?

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 8, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

xlevus posted:

Oh sorry, my bad. I meant Downloads.
No dice.

I find it odd that they force this feature upon people.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
"Added ability to open mailto links in webmail providers, such as Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Windows Live Hotmail."

Bloody finally.

E: Beat.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Unexpected EOF posted:

Is there any way to get rid of this jazz? I really have no use for the menu itself.

Nope in a decent way, no. It's been lamented recently.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Guess I missed that the first time around, too. Thanks.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

quote:

Carakan F.A.Q.

By brucelawson. Thursday, 5. February 2009, 09:47:24

Categories ECMAScript, JavaScript, Carakan

1.0 What is Carakan?

Carakan is Opera's new JavaScript engine. It's still in development, but is already 2.5 times faster than our Opera 10 alpha engine (which itself is 30% faster on real websites than previous versions of Opera). Some aspects are between 5 and 50 times faster!

2.0 Why are we developing it?

Because we can! Opera has always been about speed, security and a small memory footprint, so we're constantly improving these aspects of the browser. Many of today's web applications depend heavily on JavaScript, and we're developing what will be the fastest ECMAscript engine on the market.

3.0 When will Carakan be available?

Soon. We've chosen to talk about it now as we're discussing it at the Web Directions North conference, but we're still combing its hair and straightening its tie before we're ready to let you see it.

4.0 How does it work?

It's a combination of brilliant coding and Norwegian voodoo magic ("Snowdoo"). If you want more details about the brilliant coding, you can read all about register-based bytecode, automatic object classification and native code generation on the Opera Core Concerns Blog. We're sworn to secrecy about the Snowdoo. By a Yeti troll.

5.0 What does "Carakan" mean?

We thought about naming it "Unicorn-badger" or "Shouting Otter". But, we've chosen the name "Carakan" (pronounced "Jarakan"), which is the original alphabet from the Indonesian island of Java.

In other words, it's the purest Java Script. When you try it, you'll agree.
:neckbeard:

Linky.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

GuyGizmo posted:

It seems like all the major web browsers (except Internet Explorer obviously) are trying to write the fastest, bestest Javascript engine out there. I wonder how Carakan will measure up against the new webkit Javascript engine, or the one that'll be in Firefox that people seem to be excited about?
SquirrelFish, yep. Think that was what the UnicornBadger was a reference to, also.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

AquaVita posted:

Has anyone's google calendar gotten messed up the last few days? Now mine is all squished to the side. I tried updating to version 10 and it's doing the same thing. Other browsers show it fine.

Blah.
Gmail was updated yesterday or the day before (in Opera at least), resulting in my to-do list disappearing. You may not have run into a bug, but at feature.

Google are notorious for screwing Opera users over with their services. Checkout doesn't even work at all - same goes for Gmail handling going to the next line properly.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Odd about Checkout. Maybe I've run into a bug.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Is there a way to make links for the high quality videos pop up right away in youtube? IE and Firefox both do, but Opera waits until the whole video is loaded before it does.
You can add &fmt=22 to the link, stripping away the referral link if it's there. A workaround, but hey.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Saukkis posted:

IIRC, &fmt=22 is for the 720p high definition videos, &fmt=18 is for the high quality versions.
Doesn't it default to the highest resolution with =22?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

krylex posted:

if you have a youtube account, open your account settings, go to playback, and select the always start in hq option.
It doesn't work, for some reason. They may have fixed it a couple of months ago, but I ticked that one a long time ago, and I still get the low quality videos.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

krylex posted:

Mine got reset when youtube decided I needed UK English instead of US, but I just set it and it's working fine for me.
Just tried it and no dice. Also, my auto update won't work. Unlike before when it couldn't fetch the update, it can't even launch now.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Anyone using Bloglines with Opera 10.0? I've been meaning to go back to it, but it doesn't seem to work. Oddly enough, it worked the first time I tried it - yesterday.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Just tried going to lulu.com, upon which I was greeted with this baby:

Link.

Any way to find out more about this? Information's kept at a minimum to say the least.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Casao posted:

Saying that it found malware on it at recently as the 22nd and it not linked to a network of known bad sites isn't enough details? which details do you want, exactly, which virus it has specifically?

Not trying to white knight or some poo poo, but I'm really curious what more you need to know than "It has malware."
With people like sm8000 not receiving a warning, it'd be nice if they did more to prove themselves right.

Who's not to say that it's a false positive.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I'm not getting an update notification at all. I win.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Omagad. I just discovered the power of 8 (the key). Try it. Awesome sauce.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Casao posted:

Ditto, what's it supposed to be doing?
Seems to zoom in in, filtering all the padding and zooming straight to the actual content.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Is there an Opera feature similar to Adobe Acrobat Reader's hand tool?

Using scroll wheels and arrow keys sometimes makes for jolt-like movements, which is a pain when reading long pieces of text.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Plorkyeran posted:

I prefer the middle-click pan, but ctrl-alt-drag gives you hand-like scrolling, and enabling ScrollIsPan makes it always on.
Awesome, thanks. Middle-click is my usual preference, but depending on the site, it might stutter, as I scroll down. Ctrl+Alt isn't the definition of smooth as seen in .pdf documents, but it still does a great job.

Thanks again.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
My Open in IE button or bookmarklet doesn't work. I might get why the FF won't work, as I don't have it installed, but IE ought to work. Is it because I'm using IE8?

Also: Anyone using Opera for DeviantART? It seems to blow up on the site constantly, even though you'd think they wouldn't want that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Syrg posted:

What do you mean by that? I've only browsed with it, but nothing seems broken that I can tell. Does yours look like this too:

Well, aside from a couple of their advertisers triggering Avast! flags, but that just takes a simple adblock when they show up.
Try testing their JS by going to profiles, browse galleries. Should only take a few secs for it to lock up. Front page might not brick Opera right off the bat.