Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon
Woah...I just upgraded to Opera 10 after not using Opera at all in a year (decided to try out the desktop version after installing Mobile on my phone), and this is insane.

This version, despite being in alpha, seems to blow away what Firefox (minus extensions) is capable of. And of course it obliterates IE. Setting it up to render everything instantly and setting the cache properly makes this browser insanely fast. While it was somewhat dubious for Opera to have charged money for their early versions, it's almost justifiable for them to try charging for 10. Even if they sold it at $1 a pop, they could make some money. Or at least more money than giving it away for free, and who can resist a $1 desktop browser that's better than all the others?

I wonder if they'll ever port Opera 9 to smartphones, though. It seems odd that it would be a touchscreen only application.

edit: How do I adjust the auto-update settings, or is it fully automatic?

edit2: I used to love Opera back when I had dialup because the cache worked so much better than what the other browsers had.

iGoon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

down1nit posted:

Welcome to the dark side. I really wish Opera was in the same camp as firefox in it's popularity. Very very fast and just plain well thought out. Opera Mobile and Opera Mini are a seperate entity from the desktop versions, optimized for the slow power consious processors of the platform.

Well, I remember when Opera was advertised as being a super lightweight browser for low performance computers.

It's just a coincidence that it works really well on high performance computers.

I just wish there was a way to conveniently browse the forums on my phone. Even Opera sometimes chokes on them. Maybe I should've gotten one of those touch phones with windows mobile so I could use Opera 9.

I'm not really a big fan of Apple. I may not like everything Microsoft does, but I feel that there's a reason as to why Apple is not as popular in general as Microsoft.

That, and Apple is notorious for making hardware that is designed to fail after a couple of years. Either that or they are just plain incompetent.

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

down1nit posted:

What kind of phone do you have? Opera Mini is a Java app, and is so fast you'll shoot vomit out of a place that has never shot vomit before.

Moto Q9C.

Which is actually pretty bad because I just found out that Motorola is getting out of the cell phone business.

I'll probably buy a new phone when the new version of windows mobile comes out. At least that way I can avoid the embarrassment of being associated with a failing company.

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

Anunnaki posted:

I've been using my Ubuntu partition for the past few days, and I have to say, the Linux version of Opera kind of sucks. It just feels like I'm using it in Wine, or something; it doesn't integrate into the OS's interface at all. The dropdown menus look like the Windows Classic theme or something. I find myself using Firefox most of the time, because its Linux version just looks natural. They should really work on getting Opera a better integrated Linux interface.

I think they've had that Linux interface for something like 10 years now.

I didn't mind it as much back then because Opera was one of the best browsers available at the time. I remember the early days of Mozilla when it was worse than Internet Explorer and could randomly corrupt its own files.

And of course, I remember Netscape (non-Mozilla), which sucked rear end. Especially on a mac. Macs that were AWFUL and nearly unusable up until OS X.*

To be fair, IE has always sucked.

* I'm not sure how they managed to stay in business when their strategy was to produce software that was worse than Windows Millenium. :iceburn:

iGoon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 26, 2009

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

Magicmat posted:

Is anybody else having trouble with Google Maps? Ever since about two weeks ago Maps will never finish loading. The graphics will load, but the UI that is overlaid won't, and at the top of the screen the yellow bar stays on "Loading . . . " and then, after about 10 seconds, changed to "Still loading. Slow? Try the HTML version." And it just stays that way forever.

I didn't change anything on my end when it started happening, unless Opera updated itself silently in the background (I'm running build 1229.)

I tried using Google Maps, but it can never find my location.

I'm using US Cellular and a Moto Q9C.

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

Magicmat posted:

Uh, OK. Are you using Opera to do that? Because, afaik, the cell phone version of Google Maps is completely unrelated to Opera.

I'm talking about Google Maps

Edit: And just as mysteriously as it stopped working, it now seems to be working. Huh.

That's strange, I could've sworn I mentioned Google Maps in my post.

Anyhow, yes, it does not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

Syrg posted:

I've only seen that happen when it's still loading on my machine. Sure it's not just a "too busy" thing?

I also saw it choke on some business websites (clothing) where if you try to zoom in on various things, like shirts or jeans, with the flash applet, it'll choke after about one second.

Fortunately, just the flash applet will choke and not opera itself, so it's not a life ending flaw.