Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just reinstalled Windows (with the final Win7 build) yesterday and of course installed Opera, which was probably not the latest build at that time already (3248). The process was started almost exactly 24 hours ago (though about half of that time the PC was in standby mode) and now it's up to 5140 GDI objects and 385MB with 8 tabs. Are these issues addressed in the later snapshots? I think some of the release notes mention this, but whether or not it worked is another question...

Ape Agitator posted:

Just to check, inlind find is gone for good, right? The find-as-you-type kind, I mean.

It's probably the only negative thing about the Beta but it's a big one. Find as you type inline find is nearly perfect but this popup is on the borderline of awful. You have to press F3 instead of Enter to begin searching (totally counterintuitive in my opinion), it has a crazy fast timeout so it's a race against time to press F3 so no dawdling or thinking about what you want to look for, and if you find text you want to highlight the popup will remove itself causing you to highlight multiple rows as the screen shifts back. At least they added dimming options so you could set whether the screen dimmed.

By far the worst thing about it is that the search toolbar shifts the whole page down each time it pops up. What the hell! It's extremely annoying and makes no sense when leaving at the bottom (where it was previously) completely avoids the problem. Maybe there's an option to change this as well, but I wasn't able to find it so far.

Update: I'm back down to 4 tabs but GDI is up to 8818, 500MB. Something is leaking really badly so I'll try the latest snapshot and see how it does.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I haven't tried the latest build yet, but the Beta 2 is like some kind of miracle compared to the previous releases. After running for more than 24 hours straight and with 7 tabs currently open (and maybe 70 which were opened and closed) GDI is at just 320 (calc.exe has ~160) and RAM at 250MB. Well done guys, I hope the final release is even better than this.

One thing I noticed though is that the pop-up thumbnails for some tabs appear on my second monitor for no good reason. This behavior doesn't happen when the tabs are on the left side, but reappears when I put them back at the bottom. The mouse is hovering over the tab next to the SA one:

And a few image-related things that are small and probably only annoying because I'm not used to them. First, it seems that if an image fails to load for some reason, the context menu isn't available for it so there's no way to check its URL without digging through the source. Also, Inspect Element is now the bottommost item on the context menu for images instead of Image Properties, so I click it accidentally all the time. This should be possible to change in the ini files so it's not a big deal, but maybe that placement isn't by design.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KeviNguyen posted:

How much memory is this new opera using for you guys? Mine regularly pushes 600mb which is a lot more than the old version (I think). I mean, I guess I have the memory to spare, but I'm kind of OCD about it.

This depends a lot on the usage pattern, but for me it's around 600mb with 23 tabs currently open and the process that's been running for about five days. Overall I'd say it improved significantly over the betas, but it's hard to compare directly to the previous versions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this was always a problem but I never noticed this before... does the IRC client start to choke once a room has more than a few thousand lines? The process starts to use ridiculous amounts of CPU time and basically makes the browser unusable by the time there are around 5k lines, and it's already noticeable from around 1-2k.

More importantly though, is there a way to print only the selection on a page while preserving the formatting, like IE does (without messing with custom stylesheets every time, that is)? Doing this in Opera results in just the plain text being printed, without even paragraph breaks or any other style information.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to set a maximum number of tabs that Opera will allow to open? Dad insists on opening so many that they don't fit in on the screen properly, and then complains that the PC is too slow. Admittedly I have a tendency to use tabs as bookmarks, but at least I have big-rear end monitor and 8 gigs of ram to support that habit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that fast forward no longer worked after the redesign. Anyway, there is/was a feature that marks with a red line where the bottom of the visible page area was when scrolling with the space bar or page up/down. Does anyone know what it's called?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lakitu7 posted:

It was called "scroll marker". On investigation, apparently it was removed from the options and hidden in opera:config, and then removed altogether. You can try this extension: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/scroll-marker/

Thanks, that's exactly it! I recall finding it in the opera:config at some point so at least I'm not hallucinating. The extension seems to be a bit wonky compared to the native feature, but it's better than nothing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Booo! I guess I'm never upgrading now :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, :wtf: are they smoking? Some of that can be dismissed as bug/limitation of an early version (moving tabs left) but it seems that they just deliberately gutted a bunch of nice and useful features.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone else have an issue with SA images (smilies or thread tags) suddenly not loading in O12? It's as if I accidentally turned images off, except ones hosted elsewhere (including banners) still show up. It's really weird, and the usual cache flush or restart don't help at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lakitu7 posted:

Check that you didn't accidentally adbock them, I guess? If all else fails, you can always temporarily relocate your user profile to see if a fresh one fixes it.

Welp that turned out to be something else entirely, realized that once I had the same issue in IE from the work computer. Turns out there's some kind of security bullshit getting in the way, which is only obvious if you try to open an image directly:

Since this issue is present at home and work (even if not logged in), it seems like the whole country got out on a blacklist or something. Wasn't there a thread in A/T somewhere for forum-related questions? Can't find it now anywhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: Never mind

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lurksion posted:

Did the update to the forum absolutely wreck everything for the last few 12 users or is it just me?

This is what it looks like now for me:

This wouldn't be the first time though, missing or messed up CSS cause the site to look like rear end before and that got fixed eventually.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gave Vivaldi a try as I need a chrome based browser to test stuff anyway. It's surprisingly nice for an early version and even has 1-key shortcuts :woop:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also not a fan of the javascript interface thing they did in general, because it doesn't behave like all normal native applications in some subtle and not so subtle ways. Like there are no context menus on panels and buttons, and you can't click a menu item and then move the mouse to another one, like you can everywhere else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone! Apparently the source code for Presto was leaked to Github and Bitbucket, so if somebody out there (or here) is brave enough to start a browser project based on stolen IP, we'll be finally saved from this Chrome oppression!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/opera-presto-source-code-leaks-online/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using Vivaldi full time nowadays as well. The URL auto-completion is infuriating, it seems to reset cookies each restart, and sometimes videos in yt, twitter and other places just stop working. But it's definitely the most Opera browser now so I have to use it :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone figured out how to have usable touch gestures in Vivaldi? It's pretty bizarre that this is the browser that had mouse gestures since ages but touch doesn't work at all (other than scrolling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Was there a recent change in Vivaldi or in the forums that caused scrolling past the end of a page with the spacebar to open some stupid social media window instead of jumping to the next page? It sucks very much.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2019