Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The new 12 alpha with GPU acceleration works very well for me. I have an ATI 5770 VGA card and I have tested in on Linux Ubuntu and Windows 7 x64. So far so good, with a few bugs that are to be expected (I've reported them)

Also, the option to disable the hardware acceleration from the opera:config settings is retained if I restart Opera.

Note that Opera has introduced a way to run an Opera-next snapshot with a clean profile, without going through unistallation procedure or backing up and moving your old profile manually. You can just use the -pd switch in the Opera-next shortcut to create and use a new clean profile directory:
http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2011/09/28/the-pd-personal-directory-switch

Finally, with regards to Mithaldu's post above, I have had a different experience with Opera dev team. Whenever I have reported a crash or freeze issue through their bug reporting form, they eventually responded back to me and requested additional info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The new opera:cpu view is an excellent idea. Like people said in that opera desktop blog post, they could expand on it, showing memory usage per tab and allowing you navigate to or close tabs that are hogging CPU / memory.

Also, if there was an option to quickly locate the tab making noise/playing music, that would be awesome too, especially if working with more than 30 tabs (which is my normal session).

But the build is still unstable, mostly because of that random virtual function call error (@ Win7 x64 SP1 at least). It's in the known issues, but it doesn't happen only upon launching Opera... it may also occur while browsing, and you don't find out until you close Opera frustrated because it has *mysteriously* stopped being able to load pages. Also, scrolling performance is still ridiculously bad for many sites.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
They are attempting to do too many things with this new build.

They have the WebGl support, HWA support, which are not fully stable,
they have new html5 features (drag and drop), user webcam support, also WIP, and the 64 builds with the plugin wrapper for windows, also unstable-not working quite right. And then they do mail fixes, address bar autocomplete/history modifications, the opera:cpu view etc.

I can see why they would want to add so many new features (some of them are indeed quite useful), but they end up with very unstable builds, when they are supposed to move towards something more stable... And then it's again the good old "we are interested in regressions and crashes".

So again, low priority is given to bugs that have to do with usability like, you know, being able to successfully log on to some sites, scroll down smoothly in many pages (some of them being very popular e.g. gmail), view youtube videos without freezes/crashes. I am through filling bug reports that get fixed one or two years later (like that nasty text selection rendering bug). I only report something in the comments section or send a crash report and that's it.

And yet somehow, the final product for quite a few stable releases now, still suffers from crashes and random freezes. And more often than not, it requires disabling extensions or even full uninstallation and a new clean install. How many users are willing to go through this process with almost every upgrade?

And the ones that do, are probably the ones that are not interested in "improvements" like the default "mouse gesture UI" (ugh), the (by default) absence of the dropdown arrow in the address bar, the partial showing of a url address (until you select "Show full web address"), and other such improvements that I have to manually change EACH AND EVERY time I do a clean install.

However, I agree with them in the decision (which they did not take lightly) to have HWA and WebGL disabled by default. Too many testers of the Next builds would report crashes for the HWA without updating their gpu drivers, trying a clean install or disabling extensions, and many frustrated reports where as stupid as "Opera now sucks".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Once again they seem to be rushing to go to beta, ignoring very prominent and repeatedly reported (by most testers) issues.

A beta is still far from a final release, but still, at least in theory, more people will be motivated to try it, and this RC beta is by no means something that advertises Opera in a good way.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This will probably get fixed in the next RC build, but today's 12.00 RC(!) build trolls the somethingawful.com hard.

You can't click on anything with it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Cuntpunch posted:

Yeah I just tested on 1450 by turning AdBlock & Ghostery off and things are back to behaving normally as well.
Yep, fixed for me, as expected.

However, I don't think it's good practice for Opera to name such builds RC, as RC means strong possibility that the exact same build will be released as final.

Also, since 12.00 has dropped focus in hardware acceleration and webgl (which was supposed to be one of the most anticipated features in it), they'd better fix the scrolling issues, flashback compatibility issues (some of these work way better in the 11.6x builds) and plugin wrapper issues.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm keeping this as a Next build (it is the RC6 build, released yesterday).

The devs were aware of crashes and freeze issues reported in the blog comments for almost each and every one of the RC builds and still chose to release this.

I don't know why I bother commenting in the RC build posts anymore. Once the developers get on-board that RC train, it's a constant nightmarish frustration for the build testers reporting bugs and crashes, that we mostly know they won't be fixed by the final build.

I am looking forward to stability improvements and certain fixes for bugs that make Opera unusable for me, but until then I am sticking to 11.64 as a secondary browser and switching to probably Firefox as main.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm so confused.

Excepting that last month's sprint-to-release, over the last year or so Opera Next has mostly been ignored completely while 11.6x kept getting patches and fixes and feature additions.

Now that Opera 12 has been released, all the patches and fixes are being given to Opera Next.
It was because the Opera-Next 12.00 was still in the works, that it seemed that the 11.6x kept getting patches and fixes. However, all those patch versions went through a short period of test builds (not in the opera-next branch in order to keep things separate with the 12.00, though).

It is normal now that the 12.00 is out, that the patches will go through testing in the opera-next branch first before being released for the main branch.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^ Same here, as compared to the 12.01 build. *

It randomly crashes (with crash report prompt) or stops responding (and windows shut it down, but no auto-crash report), and not only on flash based sites or site with flash content/video. It's probably not once every day, but it's still very annoying.

*. by the way, what's up with skipping the 12.01 build and going on directly to 12.5. It seems like a very arbitrary development decision. (Or are they not leaving the 12.01 branch? )

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
They have a new 12.01 build out (1517) that now installs over your stable 12.00 Opera (it's not in the Opera-Next branch anymore!).

It has a bunch of crash fixes and some of the HTML5 drag and drop fixes have been ported in this one too.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
12.01 is way way better than 12.00 build in my opinion. It is essentially a more polished version of 12.00 and has patched some crashes and bugs I had experienced with 12.00.

However, it still has unfixed (reported in previous builds sometimes repeatedly - e.g. the Disquss comments bug, artifacts on the main window when scrolling, NSL in youtube) bugs.

And unfortunately, while I want to like it a lot, within the first day of a clean install usage I have had one random crash, and one lock-up where windows shutdown Opera because it "stopped responding".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

myron cope posted:

When I move my mouse to the very top of the screen above a tab, I'm hitting empty space instead of tab. Is there a way to make the tabs like...1 pixel taller?
Set the following setting to zero (0) and click save:
opera:config#Chrome%20Integration%20Drag%20Area%20Maximized

You should restart Opera afterwards too.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

hackbunny posted:

Any idea why Google search-by-image randomly stopped working, anyone? I used to care about this stuff, dig into the code of the page, but I guess I'm old people now, and I can't be arsed to see if it's a Google bug or an Opera bug

Browser sniffing. It's been like that for at least a few months (since before summer). It's fixed if you Mask As Firefox :

First navigate to http://images.google.com, right click at some blank space -> "Edit Site Preferences" -> Choose the "Network" tab -> And set the Identification field to "Mask As Firefox".

It should start working after that. (you may need to reload the page).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

RoadCrewWorker posted:

On one browser hovering over the collapsed tab-stacks to show the previews lets me select one by just clicking it, while on the other installation the preview overlay vanishes the moment my cursor leaves the original tab bar.

It could be a bug with portable Opera and/or your Operating System, and/or having hwa enabled.

I am using Opera 12.02 1578 and Opera-Next 12.10 (currently 1618) on Win 7 and Linux x64 (normally installed) but I have not encountered this bug yet.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

spoon0042 posted:

edit: a second build in two days! which apparently segfaults all over the place so I'm not going to bother.
I don't get seg faults with the latest build (x64) but I do have the two listed known issues, about restoring an Opera window and getting a black screen. I don't know how they managed to cause this bug, but it looks bad.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

mike12345 posted:

I use that right click + wheel option with firefox (add-on), but I don't want to switch because of that.
If it's a keyboard issue only, you could use the slider in the bottom right of the Opera window.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It never ceases to surprise me how they manage to botch each and every release at apparently the last moment by introducing annoying bug(s).

This time it's not being able to see text selection on GMail, near unusable HTML5 youtube video, disappearing folders in rapidshare... That is, on top of a bunch of other bugs that Opera drags for months or years now and have been reported time and again.

I guess they consider it acceptable to have a series of long-time reported bugs that mess up the users' browsing experience and force them to switch (even temporarily) to another browser.

And a few builds ago, I actually had a good feeling for 12.10.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is flash video completely hosed for anyone else? Flash player and Opera both updated recently and things are bad. On my Windows 7 desktop, flash videos crash the system. On my XP laptop videos play at 1 frame per minute. Both systems are fine with flash if I use Chrome or something.

Nope. Flash videos seem ok here (Windows 7 x64 SP1 with latest Opera 12.12 x64 and Flash 11.5.502.110). One or two times in a week or so I closed Opera and got the plugin has crashed message, but other than that it didn't crash Opera.

HTML5 videos (eg. youtube) on the other hand are a complete nightmare for my Opera. They won't crash the browser but they are hardly manageable, slow, unresponsive interface, full screen mode completely botched.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
They must be working on something else (maybe a new Next version? maybe those webkit rumors are true?) because they seem to not have worked on these last builds (including the 12.13 final) or taken into consideration the testers' feedback as much as they should have. The comments talk about crashes and a few not-really-fixed bugs that are reported as fixed in the changelog.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Over at the Desktop Team blog, they have now released a new build (for testing) with a fix for the check for update crash (which also is the one responsible for the crash-loop).
Hopefully the new hotfix will be public shortly.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yes, sadly that's another thing that's been reported and hasn't got any attention (except perhaps that's due to migrating Opera to the webkit engine -only rumors as of yet ).
The UI feels slower in the last few 12.1x releases (and I run Windows 7 on a quad core Phenom II @3200 with 14GB of RAM and a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD).

For one thing, if I start Opera with a previous sessions, the tabs are really slow to load, and you can click on a tab and still see the previous tab's contents because the current one has not loaded -even though in this case it's supposed to be loaded from cached content(!). Also certain actions, like opening a new tab, now display the loading animation for the cursor; if it was happening before, it was barely noticeable.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^^ No, for me that's not a "show-stopper" or anything. It's just feels slower in the latest builds (and then it's that thing with the tabs). And now that I've got used to it, it rarely feels like an issue. What bugs me is that I know they did something in the code that resulted in this behavior (I don't get this in 11.64).

The SSD drive helps a lot with the speed (all the programs, including Opera).

Anyway, Opera has just released 12.14 to the public, with the crash loop fix.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I mean, removing features and making what's left more buggy isn't anything new, but did they at least give a reason?
I don't recall them giving a specific reason. Opera did make some decisions of droppping integrated moduels and functionalities that they had no resources or interest to support any more around the time of Opera 12.

It was also something similar to Firefox's "Personas" system (which I think is useless but, whatever, so are Opera's themes).

They did seem to be receiving large amounts of feedback concerning skin related bugs (especially about those transparent background skins), so that could be another reason.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, there is a potential that they will be able to code new features in a better more efficient way for the browser.

It's a bit sad that they promoted 12.x features such as gpu hardware acceleration for every OS, that they never did polish enough and will now be chucking.

Hopefully they will also drop junk features like that embedded torrent client that's there only for the end-user to disable it.

And hopefully they will actually benefit from not having to develop their own rendering engine, and focus on making Opera significantly better to experience than the 12.x series ended up being.

In the last weeks, I've gradually moved some stuff from Opera to Chrome, and have Firefox as a secondary browser. It took time to setup, with the proper extensions but at least I can now use those when I get too frustrated by Opera's glitches and bugs (which is in everyday basis now).

Opera is insufferable in Youtube as of late. Still has the greatest mouse gesture handling, speed dial etc.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ufarn posted:

Do we have an idea of when Opera for desktop switches to WebKit?

Nothing concrete, except that they're working on it (like that twit that Lakitu7 posted indicates). I think they intend to make the switch later this year, but my bet would be after the summer (I think I vaguely recall reading something about such a rough time schedule, but I don't know where I read it).

But they just released a Release Candidate for Opera 12.15 (!), with a couple of fixes
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/03/19/opera-12-15-rc

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Ouch! They probably have every right to pursue this, and it seems that that person is in violation of his contract with Opera.

However a) Opera needs publicity from other kind of and way more positive news right now (webkit desktop builds, android final build) and b) considering that Opera hasn't exactly been (or seem) active for their desktop browser in the last few months (and in the 12.00 series they have left a good number of their "new features" half tested/unpolished/unstable), these kinds of news make it easier for people to hate on Opera...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ufarn posted:

I'll try to find the link, if it's in my bookmarks, but they made it sound like the switch is well into the future.

They recent firing and hiring round probably means that they were only really starting their work at that point.

The most concrete thing I've read about it was "not before summer", and that seems to be referring to Opera Desktop snapshots (so I'm assuming early builds).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Wow. I didn't even know about the Ctrl+U (view source page) that enabled you to directly apply the changes in the source code -or if I knew I somehow forgot- and now I'm missing it already.

I am glad they released this Next version, to see where Opera is heading to (and it's not all bad), but I'll be furious if the stable release is just small security/stability fixes upon this one. Let it take them six months of snapshot builds, I don't care; there's a lot of features that need to come back or be optimized to work as well as in the 12.15 (or 11.64 build). All or most of them already stated in the blog posts comments section. I do want a decent bookmarks manager back, wand password manager, quick tab switching, per page settings, keyboard and mouse shortcuts customization, links manager, opera link to name but a few.

I don't care that much about separating the M2 client. I only used the RSS reader/manager feature, so I am unhappy about that, but this will probably come back (I don't think they are that fixed on not having a such a basic browsing feature).

However, wasn't Opera supposed to be sort of a "swiss army knife" kind of browser? Wasn't the future of browsers supposed to be an application that would fit all/most of your web related needs?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
In the 15 version, I sometimes (randomly) get all content of a page compressed in a narrow column centered in the main content view. It happens on forums more often (but that's probably because I frequent many forums during my web browsing sessions). Is this a known Chromium bug?

Lakitu7 posted:

[edit] Some other random things I learned from reading https://twitter.com/opvard
  • Looks like they expected the backlash to be even worse: "I don't think the comments are that bad. I'm surprised at how positive a lot of long-time users are about the change."

I think he should give it some time, and also read closer. Unless "a lot" means about a dozen.

Also in his twitter he states that Speed Dial is now replacing bookmarks ("The new Speed Dial with folder replaces bookmarks.") and he's not talking about the mobile version (which could make some sense, but not much).

Adding to pessimism, I get a feeling that the preview version (feature set -wise) is closer to a final version 15 that I'd like to believe.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Worst thing for me for 15 (apart from the fact that I have now (inefficiently) spread my workflow across 3-4 browsers to compensate for the loss of functionalities), is the glitch-fits that it goes into, every time I re-open it with about 9+ tabs open.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ufarn posted:

What glitch fits?

In opera 12 I can close the browser with 20+ tabs open, and when I reopen it they will all instantly load up (cached versions).

In Opera 15, if I close the browser with open tabs (even fewer tabs than 20+ which is my normal/work routine) and then reopen it, I get these loading empty tabs, and a few seconds in, the mouse cursor and keyboard start glitching the gently caress out until they all load up -yeah it's for a few seconds, but it's very noticeable and is probably more so with a larger number of open tabs. I even get the 2 extensions in my speed dial (two weather extensions) with a loading animation. It's really a disappointing experience.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
What a mess. They 've gone pretty much 180o on what their browser was before, and expect their user base to be understanding and adapt. To a mutant browser that assumes its average user has 9 bookmarks and can't handle bookmark managers, "fit to width" functions and tab groups.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I agree with this. There is already a Chrome and it comes in a few variations already, too.

The thing that made Opera less popular was not its rich (seemingly complex I guess?) feature list. At least not in my opinion.

It was the instability issues, as well as the lag and the lack of support from/for many popular sites*. A few sites were resorting to actively scanning and blocking Opera when you visited (and for *reasons* Opera presented this as malicious behavior).

One of the main original reasons for the move to webkit seemed to be that they wanted to rid themselves of having to deal with such compatibility issues and the (consequent) browser sniffing.

It's not like if they implement tab stacking, bookmarks managing, rss feed reader etc on top of their webkit-based implementation, users will go "well screw that, I wanted a SIMPLE browser with stash and discover".

*. And in the later years of 12.x, I guess also some of the botched, half-finished (new!) features drove a few users away too.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Cuntpunch posted:

It also blows my mind that they do Next->Next->Stable version hopping where Next never *sees* the next Stable version, but gets skipped over until the subsequent Next release is ready. That isn't how multi-channel development is supposed to work, Opera.

Yeah, there were a few (Opera Desktop Team) blog posts in the start of June with the first public builds of Opera 15 Next, where they were talking about how fast they were going to be releasing Next builds and stable builds as compared to the pre-15 era. I don't mind (so much) that they are going for the release cycle/practices of Chrome and Firefox. I do mind that this is proved to be PR crap, or at least obscuring parts of what really is/was going on with the development.

So, what they didn't say or failed to say (they certainly did not mention it in the blog posts' subject) was that 15 was in Release Candidate state apparently from get go and those always were coming along fast/rushed (Opera has a habit of releasing a series of RC builds before the final). Then Opera stable got released out of the blue, while the Next testers had no clue, and while it's a changed build, there's no changelog available to see what's changed from the last Opera Next build. I did like, though, the fact that they were including detailed changelogs with the changes between the Next builds.

Also there is a post that said that we would see Opera 16 around the same time Opera 15 was released (we are also expecting them to start releasing snapshots for the new-ish lab-ish Developer channel - so there's that).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
They had released a few snapshot builds back in early version 11 days, where tabs were stacking automatically. It was not based on domain, but rather on whether the new tabs where created by using the "open in foreground/background tab" from an existing tab. They had to remove it a short while later, I'm not sure why (probably it was more complex to implement than it appeared), but people were asking for it to return since (as an option).

Anyway, good news about the return of the bookmarks. Well, it's mostly vague words and promises from manager persons. But hopefully it will be sooner than later. And hopefully we will see some posts in the developer's blog, from actual developers and with actual snapshots.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

feld posted:

I thought automatic tab stacking still existed as an opera:config option?
I can't find such setting in opera:config, or the UI Settings->Preferences->Advanced
Like Cuntpunch said, there's also no option about tab grouping at all. I don't actually mind the manual tab grouping. I've used it extensively. Though, there have been a few occasions when a tab unintentionally ends up in a group (eg. while reordering the tab bar)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I don't think they do. I just tested with Opera Next 16, and nope.

That was kind of a neat feature, but on occasion it was a bit annoying, because by scrolling up a bit up or down obscuring the gif, the animation would reset and start over.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^ I can't find any setting for customising those shortcuts.

They have just released an Opera 17 Next build. The new addition related to (the missing) bookmarks is the Quick Access Bar (QAB). Contrary to earlier statements from the team, they have now decided that QAB won't be enabled by default for Opera 17 stable, since it needs more tweaking. Right now, in Opera 17 Next, in order to view and use the QAB you need to enable the option from opera://flags and then also check the corresponding checkbox in Opera -> Settings.

Opera 17 Next also features pinned tabs, some additional settings (Search engines, Startup settings), enhanced extensions API and on Windows it is now DPI aware.

Still no support for Linux (it is planned, but not for 17 it seems).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Opera 17 has been very crashy for me. I'm in the Next channel (I haven't been in the stable channel since the transition) but the build I have is pretty much the same with the stable build. About 3 to 4 times a day, maybe more, it will crash, then restart with no tabs and all the extensions disabled. It's also somewhat random when it does it. I found a link yesterday that, when clicking it, consistently crashed Opera, but a few hours later it would not. And, it's got some bugs with never loading (not never stop loading) a page like it has lost internet connection, and needs restarting.

I also find it very annoying that all my tabs have to be auto-reloaded when I close and reopen Opera. Especially on a laptop this is very taxing on the CPU and everything glitches out. Is there an option to use cached versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Cuntpunch posted:

Opera 18 Next is out and....it crashes every 10 minutes with no explanation.

This is brilliant, guys.
It's been far more stable for me. So far no crashes since yesterday.
It did show some weird behavior when trying to save a downloaded file; in the save file dialogue, I got a popup that folder "" does not exist.