Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I find that vivaldi suits all of my needs just fine and this is apparently very early in their development so that's good! I wanted a super lightweight, highly customizable browser with good extensions and it works. Now if only I can fix this stupid speed dial page to show something other than a poorly formatted screenshot of the website; I quite like big website logos like in Opera. Seriously, the image for google.com isn't even centered.

I just wish there was safari for windows, I guess.

jokes fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Woebin posted:

I really like Vivaldi at first glance, but after using it as my main browser for a few days it's got too many issues to put up with. Maybe when it gets more developed.

Yeah I went back to Opera. What's this issue in Opera with a Chinese buyout or something?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Has Vivaldi allowed for search suggestions from google right in the address bar yet? I can't get them to work on mine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vivaldi is my main browser and it owns bones. Looks great on HiDPI and high resolution monitors, interface is simple, clean and minimalistic. I almost feel bad that I'm not paying for it.

Anyways, there is a simple problem and simple fix: if you want search suggestions from google in the address bar while you type you need to put this:

code:
https://www.google.com/complete/search?client=chrome&q=%s
in the "search URL" field in the Search > Search Engines area, and enable search suggestions in all the random places it is in the settings.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I agree, that's a real dumb thing. Honestly, I wish it'd just ignore history and bookmarks altogether but whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It basically does nothing, actually. There's kind of a work-around though: just get a chrome extension that auto deletes history. Then you'll only get per-session history results and bookmark suggestions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Except no matter what settings you choose, bookmarks and history will always be a part of the suggestions alongside search suggestions. It's a minor thing, but it's there. That's why I don't think that "enable address auto-complete" setting really does anything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So Opera has privacy concerns? Is that a thing? I know it was bought by a Chinese company, but is there any credence to these claims or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Basticle posted:

As an Opera refugee this thread turned me onto Vivaldi a couple of years ago and I continue to use it (and love it). There are more and more reports about privacy concerns with Google and their products. As a Chrome-based browser should I have any concerns about Vivaldi in that regard?

Well the concern is that it's closed-source so we can never REALLY know, but on the other hand it's certainly BETTER than Chrome.