Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Goddamnit. Opera 12 on Windows in the past week or so has started crashing randomly for no reason that I can see.

I've been using Opera since I've had my own computer (v8 or so - the first ad-free version). Guess its time to move on to Chrome. Been a good run. I'll miss the UI customizations I've had running for the longest time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ah interesting. So basically conclusion of that thread is that TLS1.1 and1.2 cause the crashes somehow (which seems really weird, since the crashes occur seemingly randomly, and not when just loading a new page). Since SSL3 is not secure anymore, basically the only thing that should be enabled is TLS1.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
If anyone wants, a fix for Youtube comments (and maybe some other Google properties?) is changing the User Agent string to identify as Firefox.

You can also apply it only for specific domains
http://www.reddit.com/r/operabrowser/comments/2ivkg4/opera12versusyoutubehowtofix_broken/ (manually)
http://www.reddit.com/r/operabrowser/comments/2ltsrb/fixing_of_youtube_broken_comments_display_on/ (via GUI)

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Which sucks because Opera 12 is still king of the hundreds of tabs open use-case.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Did the update to the forum absolutely wreck everything for the last few 12 users or is it just me?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That "issue" of being unable to directly highlight linked text is my most hated thing about Chrome (and it looks like any chrome-based browser).

gently caress you and your attempt at "helpfulness"

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Just made the switch over to Vivaldi as well from 12. It does chew up a considerably more amount of memory as can be expected, but yeah, they seemed to have checked off enough of the boxes that I wanted.

Also having actual adblock extensions rather than the cobbled together list I stopped updating is nice.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 6, 2016

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The only feature I really, really miss from Opera 12 was the filterable Links panel/sidebar. If you never realized it was there (which, with all the other features of Opera, is entirely understandable), all it did was list all the links on the current webpage, and had a little searchbox at the top. You could filter it down to, say, all the PDFs on a page, highlight them all, right-click, save-as, and everything would start downloading. Stupid-useful for stuff like https://www.humblebundle.com which lists out all the stuff you've bought, but doesn't actually (ironically) bundle it up for you.

Opera 12 (and under) is the only browser I've ever seen that did that.
Yeah, this was awesome.

And it served as somewhat of a workaround for sites that failed to render properly (e.g. Humble Bundle having all its clickable links break) if you knew what you were looking for.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Tabs -> Tab Display -> Tab Options -> Show Tab Thumbnails

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Has anyone had ALT+D break in Vivaldi?

I think it happened with the latest update to 1.2.490.39 for me

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Turns out you can just add it back in as a shortcut under keyboard shortcuts. Guess it got removed for some reason?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

Holy hell does the new UI for Opera mobile (android) suck! I don't think I ever actively hated so much a UI change, but this one takes the cake.
What did they do to it? And what version? Haven't noticed anything changed yet on my phone.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh interesting. I'm way back on 37.something from June.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
OK, Vivaldi has been annoying me lately with a few changes that aren't modifiable.

First, the "typed" history in the address bar that I can't find a way to disable - I have no interest in polluting my address bar drop down with random google queries, so I activated the split search (search field in address bar) and just tab over when I want to run a search.

Now they've added a button in the address bar that toggles "reader view", which happens to take tab focus (so two tabs to get to the split search field). OK fine, two tabs it is. But it's completely inconsistent when it appears - sometimes it appears other times it's not. So now half the time I'm not focused in the search field and and end up hitting navigating to somewhere completely random (whatever last had focus when I hit enter basically).

/rant of the get of my lawn geezer I appear to be developing into

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Or just turn autocomplete off and arrow down to suggestions.

mobby_6kl posted:

it seems to reset cookies each restart
Privacy -> Cookies controls this.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Well that's annoying. Updated to Vivaldi 1.9 and had a broken address bar that had no dropdown. Reverted back to 1.8 and somehow that trashed all my extensions. gently caress.

EDIT: OK...so reinstalling extensions kept their old settings, so it looks like the downgrade just made Vivaldi temporarily forget?? I'm confused, but whatever, things are back to normal. I'm getting curmudgeony.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 29, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

suffix posted:

"Unable to complete secure transaction" :rip:

It's sad times when you have to throw away a perfectly good browser because of minor things like being unsupported for three years and not supporting any modern crypto standards.
Can 12.18 still access the forums? I think that was released for Windows only.
Booted 12.18 up, SA forums seem to be working.

Did anything come of the source code leak?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 21, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

Since various services like Fastly are migrating:

If you have issues with HTTPS, enable TLS 1.2 in the encryption settings.

That may be off in various installations due to a 2014 bug that caused Opera to disable them via the auto-update feature.
If you don't mind random crashing. That wasn't a bug, that was a patch Oldpera pushed to work-around the random crashing since they didn't want to bother to fix it since they were already onto Newpera.

EDIT: See discussion of this starting in the middle of this page. Apparently I was the first to bring up the random crashing.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 2, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Did it get itself hidden off screen or super minimized (i.e. window made 0x0 in size) somehow? Try using <Win> + <arrow> keys to move it back / resize

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

I think they actually fixed that with 12.18. I haven't had any issues in any case.
Ah interesting. Nice of them (cough) to do that after 2 years.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Reverting to 1.13 - did 1.14 break address bar dropdowns for anyone else?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Aunt Beth posted:

Yeah. All it did was disable it for me though. I went into options and just turned them on.
Options were still set correctly on mine, tried flipping them back and forth to no effect. :shrug:

Wait for the next version for me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've run into a few other issues as well, but they're mostly nitpicks (like why is copying from the address bar so drat finnicky?) at this point.
Yeah have no idea how this even becomes a problem in the first place. Right click menu copy always works at least.