Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

bell biv devoe posted:

Thanks, that helps quite a bit.

And to the OP - I deal with 15k+ servers, I apologize if I've grown accustomed to not having my bookmarks due to curl/wgetting/provisioning the hell out of URLs constantly. You opinion is noted and I will look into becoming a better web-browser.

It's okay man, Casao is always a little uptight about things, he means well but he's been known to flip out once in a while.

Sort of like a kitten who sleeps on your pillow at night, warm, purring and happy... but every once in a while he'll reach up and extend a claw through one of your eyelids and into your eyeball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

gg posted:

I loved Opera to bits when I used it at work but at home I can't live without the Smoothwheel extension in Firefox. It's a long shot but is there a way to tweak the mouse wheel outside of that smooth scroll checkbox that really doesn't do anything?

Unfortunately that's one of the areas Opera has been strangely hesitant to provide options for. As always, I suggest adding your voice to the Wish-List forum. Opera ASA seriously DOES listen to users (though they sometimes don't give much feedback).

On another note, Opera Mini 4.2 beta was released a bit ago and supports syncing notes, brought back skins, and adds experimental video support on some phones.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Heads up for Opera Mini users, 4.2 is out and skins are back! Also notes sync and the new North America server farm is operational!

Notes sync is my favorite. Being unemployed means looking for jobs and going to interviews, I am terrible at names and street addresses... so now i just jot in a note when I'm on the phone with names and places, and head off to the interview. Sync keeps my idiocy from showing! Thanks Opera.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I bought it too. Wonder if I have my key somewhere still.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
ColdPie, I assume you know about Shift + Arrow Keys?

Also: hitting space space space space spaENDOFPAGEce space will go to the next page of a multipage thread. It uses the fast forward feature.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah it looks like the artifacting that happens with css/html not completely loaded. Maybe there was something up with Vista?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Casao posted:

That's an odd problem, and not one I'm experiencing.

I'm experiencing it. Sometimes, when I click a link, nothing happens until i gesture up or hit stop, then the page I requested starts loading. It's an odd error, and I'll have to submit a bug report when I get home. I'm using the urlfilter.ini entries from http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ . A couple people on the Opera forums have noticed it too, but for the life of me I can't find the drat posts anymore. :(

Though I've never seen memory usage creep... like he's experiencing

in fact, it seems to be specifically: pixel.quantserve.com

I've added an entry to the hosts file but it doesn't seem to help. Also adding it to urlfilter doesn't seem to work either. Hrmph.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 5, 2009

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I've never noticed Opera being anything but fast. It never ceases to amaze me when I get home from "FIREFOX ONLY ITS MORE SECURE" work and load up Opera. The amount of work i could get done using Opera at work vs. Firefox w/ no extensions may be staggering, but at least I'll still have my (crappy) job as long as the workload keeps piling up!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Anunnaki posted:

Don't mean to derail, but what job do you have where you do nothing but use an internet browser?

ebay seller's assistant

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Welcome to the dark side. I really wish Opera was in the same camp as firefox in it's popularity. Very very fast and just plain well thought out. Opera Mobile and Opera Mini are a seperate entity from the desktop versions, optimized for the slow power consious processors of the platform. Opera Mobile is still pretty unusable on my TyTn II, but I suspect would be pretty good on a more powerful phone. Mini is the way to browse the forums. The autoupdate is controlled via opera:config and I think is enabled by default on the weeklys. Though the default value is a 0 instead of the traditional 1.

Most just subscribe to the Desktop Team's RSS feed and check it for updates to get an idea if there's dealbreaking bugs in the build. The cache has been tweaked a bit to work better with GMail and other 2.0 sites, but you can revert to the instant "exactly what i was just looking at" caching by going to opera:config , search for "history navigation mode" and setting it to "3" (unless it's changed values recently)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
What kind of phone do you have? Opera Mini is a Java app, and is so fast you'll shoot vomit out of a place that has never shot vomit before.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

GobyWan posted:

I'm actually quite happy with Opera Mobile 9 on my TyTN II, although it takes about a second to render things when I scroll. My last mobile browser was Pocket IE5 on a really cheap Windows Mobile 5 PDA, though, so maybe everything looks good in comparison. I'm also running a fairly well-optimized custom WM6.1 ROM, though, so it's probably a bit faster than it would be on factory settings.

what rom are you using? I'm using some Dutty rom that was supposed to be the bees knees. getting tired of random glitches and hangs when i use the slide qwerty, and have been wanting to reload a slick stripped to the bones rom.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

sm8000 posted:

Tried it, no dice.

I was just looking at a large picture of a steak you posted in another thread, closed the tab and came back to this post. your avatar was in the same position and I got really freaked out.

Have you tried changing the UserAgent in site prefs as well? I generally use chrome for maps.google.com or loving load up google earth because hot drat. (it does directions pretty good too)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

GuyGizmo posted:

As lame and stupid as I know it is to feel defensive over computer software, with the upcoming release of Safari 4, I feel bad for Opera. Safari 4 has a number of new features that came directly from Opera, namely a Speed Dial knockoff and the searching-history-and-page-text-when-typing-in-the-URL-bar thing. The same is true for a lot of Firefox's and Chrome's new features, too.

Not that I have anything against copying features, because that's what people do when someone creates a cool, new feature. But the big thing I feel bad about is that rarely does anyone acknowledge Opera. Opera was the originator of almost every single major feature put in a web browser, including tabs, pop-up blocking, speed dial, search engine fields, in-page text searches, mouse gestures, and probably oodles more I'm forgetting. But do they ever get credit? Almost never.

Hell, other than Chrome's every-tab-is-a-process thing, can anyone name a single major feature in any of the other browsers that didn't originally come from Opera? (Excluding of course features that are necessary for something to be a browser at all, like HTML rendering.)

And I'm done. Sorry for being a stupid internet nerd. :shobon:

As goonsay as this wall of text may seem, I'm kinda happy with where Opera is at the moment. They're making money, they're making progress, making cool changes with thier core product and still getting ripped off left and right. Perfect.

Here's where I come from: Everything about this browser still god drat amazes me. It does not seem possible to cram so much poo poo into this tiny little package and have it work on more platforms than people actually care about. The fact that it's small means it's coded tightly, the fact that it's not extensible to FF extremes means that it's not prone to potential bloat from careless 3rd parties, and the fact that it's the pinnacle of idea generation means that it has a promise of long life.

Opera's always been less than perfect in any one category... be it's polish, it's "compatibility", it's JS execution speed, marketing (heh), and many other places. It's this quirkyness that I believe keeps it the best. It's arcane to new users, too "last year" for bleeding edge 2.0 junkies, and too unsupported for businesses. All these lists add up to one conclusion in my eyes, that it will NEVER be top dog. The core dev team will never get too huge to be contained under one cold Oslo roof, the QA team will never fall asleep at meeting after countless meeting, the security team will still be trawling the internet for exploits and fixes, and the marketing team will never come up with a good idea ever, ever, ever. This means the browser will remain the LOVE of these people's work, not their stale dying horse, and all the efforts will be put into making it the best browser for years to come. New features will always be up for grabs.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2009

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

kapalama posted:

(Opera on the Mac)

Anyone have any tips on how to make Opera's file download part more useful? (

I would love to be able to
1. rearrange the order of files to be downloaded.
2. Limit the number of simultaneous downloads (Without having to globally limit connections which tends to make browsing all screwy)

In terms of the download order, simple drag and drop is not getting it done, at least as far as I can tell. I can't figure out to make it sort by queue order, (or even show queue order for that matter.)

If Opera's download manager is a lost cause, then which download manager plays nice with Opera in terms of inheriting cookies and downloads?

yeah, opera's dl manaer isnt fully featured yet and there's no real way to rearrange the queue. it does a decent job for being built in though. in the past, i used free download manager without incident. i really hope they pump up the features of the built in manager when 10 hits. edit: wow yeah totally glazed over the mac bit. still, some pc user might find some use with it.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Hey, DO NOT SEARCH your music if you have a lot of it

They need to work on some QoS or something, opera slowed like mad

Pretty sure I'm digging it. It's not HUGELY REVOLUTIONARY or anything, pretty neat way of sharing though. And dead loving simple as well. Actually it's too simple i expect my box to be hax0red in the morning. Gonna stream like mad at work though.

I like the 3 little buttons at the bottom left, they're adding up nicely. :) EDIT: by that i mean Link, Unite, Turbo. Cool features.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 16, 2009

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress it go nuts http://home.down1nit.operaunite.com/fridge

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Casao posted:

No idea, all I know is that facebook's ajaxy-js stuff stops working randomly.

it's true they're doing some big changes in presto (isn't it called somethiing else right now? some bird?) that makes it get 100/100 on the acid test. i'm of the opinion that FB is more to blame for "non-standards" compliant code.. Yes i know the rendering engine is supposed to be different than the js engine but still fb still works in 9.64 afaik. Not like i'd install a 9.x release at this point. Can someone confirm?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It seems that they aren't in/on by default in the Unite-enabled build. My laptop is on the beta before that one so I'm still noticing it over there. As for it being annoying, it was honestly more annoying not knowing why they were there, not that I would ever really use them.

I can't stand it when I don't know something about Opera. Can someone on Vista/XP try this: Enable Voice, download the binaries and restart and see if the menu changes. I'm on 7 and everytime I try to do it Opera crashes. This will drive me nuts, though I'm sure it's something stupid and simple that we're all missing.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Sergeant Hobo posted:

A new snapshot is out. I was going to make a joke about bug fixes but I decided against it (probably better for you all).

If you're talking about the voice download failing for some reason, there's a way to get it working by downloading it manually and throwing it in the correct folder. Let me see if I can find it.

actually i'm talking about the menu hotkey thing. i consider myself an opera knowitall so it is annoying when i can't figure somethin out. anyone else trading opera on the OSE? or am i that much a geek. (posting from opera mini sorry for nocaps)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

krylex posted:

Anyone having issues on OSX with rapid moving threads and trying to go to the new posts? It seems like it keeps going to one that was clicked a few minutes ago.

It's doing this with the last post and even if I post twice within a few minutes taking me to the earlier post rather than the new one.

even after refreshing the thead list? try the delete private data dialog. choose the delete entire cache option

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress everything in this thread. If you have a phone capable of it, go to m.opera.com/next to grab Opera Mini 5 Beta.

Holy loving poo poo. Seriously this is amazing.

Watch how loving FAST everything is. Forget iphone safari, forget zune hd iem6, forget opera mobile even. Opera OWNS mobile browsing.

On another note, RE: HTC TyTN II:

gently caress resistive touchscreens, I need me a capacitive. The HTC Leo is just in time. I could only imagine a zune hd port of mini 5.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

GobyWan posted:

I can deal with the resistive touchscreen, especially with a fairly small screen like the TyTN II's. What really gets me is the goddamn screen bezel that makes it incredibly hard to use anything at the edge of the screen (like most onscreen keyboards, anything with a "scroll through categories" feature like iContact or Resco Explorer, etc. etc. why the hell won't Rogers pick up the Touch Pro 2 so I can have a nice big flat screen without paying $800 for it?)

That said, if Mini 5 is that awesome it may displace Mobile 9.7 beta 1 as my browser of choice. Gonna go try that out now.

If you have a TyTN II you're a fool if you haven't flashed it to a PDA Corner ROM, or another 6.1* rom. Most roms have TouchFlo built in so you never have to worry about scroll bars again.

That said: I really miss the scroll bars in Opera Mini 5 Beta. Specifically, I miss the U/D/L/R controls with the D-pad that lets me page up/down. Oh, and syncing. But it's an Opera Mini release, so it will be added in final, as syncing everything is pretty much core to Opera's game nowadays.

* As pretty as Win Mo leaks of 6.5 look, it's not quite ready for our devices, and is dog slow sometimes.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 19, 2009

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

kapalama posted:

I would just like to say that my "Opera cannot print" probably has at least become completely random, rather than absolutely guaranteed.

After installing the CUPS-PDF driver (which prints straight to PDF without having to do any save as PDF stuff), I am now able to get to the print dialog box about 50% of the time.

About 50% of the time it crashes from there but....

This is true with a completely new blank user, too.

IIRC, at one time Opera used QuickTime to render pages. Is this still the case? COuld I be hanging due to a QT update? Is no one else having these problems at all?

Well it's gotta be something with that PDF printer, obviously. Does this happen in FF as well as Opera? Do you have permissions sorted and all that? Did you read the README included with the printer? What distro are you running? Any alpha/beta builds or stable?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
WTF Opera Mini on the iPhone?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/10/opera-mini-iphone/

I'm not sure what Apple's going to do. Any bets?

EDIT: Some of the TC commenters make a good point, Opera Mini is basically a web enabled photo viewer with some HTML <map> thrown in. Obviously an oversimplification, but as long as Opera's servers handle all the data and stick to Apple's APIs shouldn't it get approved pretty quick?

down1nit fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 11, 2010

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

kapalama posted:

Since everything else seems to be customizable, maybe this is too:

I am looking for a way to depopulats the context menu into a few simple things so I do not have to look so carefully when I am trying to grab stuff from a web page.

On a Mac and Opera 9.64 if that matters.

ctrl click on a picture to save as...

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Opera made its impression on me as a simply genius collection of really well thought out ideas and features that were from the loving future. This was cutting edge. Now those features are everywhere. Opera has been still ahead of the game on cranking out new ideas, good and bad, and modernizing features like extensions, but it really does need a rebuild. We can NOT give up on Opera right now holy poo poo guys they need us. I see the new Opera as a Windows Vista release: the lovely release after paradigm shift which makes way for a great future (windows 7). Now that Blink can be maintained outside of the dev's working hours by people who have the desire to, they can do the whole "keeping up" thing with ease, AND CAN FOCUS ON PORTING THEIR ENTIRE FEATURESET OVER. THIS IS ALL THEY'RE DOING RIGHT NOW! I bet they had a meeting or twenty because of this or similar threads on their own forums.

Keep using opera, keep searching with google from the address bar.
Give them money and employee hours do do this poo poo holy hell. Be the old guy on Windows 95 until Opera 16.5 at least.

As to the features discussion:

Ape Agitator posted:

Describing Opera features like Fit to Width as confusing is not the kind of wording to inspire confidence. Squirrel stuff away in advanced features if it scares people away, don't abandon it or ask us to rely on unprofessional extensions.

Opera! This is who you make your browser for. There are features in Opera I would NEVER use, but SOMEONE uses them or they wouldn't be features. That guy is my buddy, because I use features no one else does, and together we make up the remaining users of your browser. Keep doing what you're doing for Opera 16.

A lot of applications have the expert switch here:

It's immediately obvious to every user what this switch does. Badass. Hell it could just be an opera:config tab.

The "Expert Mode" is everywhere! Google used to call it, "Under the Hood", now it's just a drat inline expand. Either way I get my nice, juicy list of checkboxes and radio buttons

down1nit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2013

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
God they need banner ads on sites like Yahoo or MSN. A new influx of users would be a good thing right now, the core browser is a neat new playground for a new convert. All those extra Google searches would help get monies.

Not a fan of the current stash feature: the web can be visual, sure, imgur is HUGE. But you should see all my Food Network stashes to different cookies. Most look like a picture of a BMW because that was the ad on top. Some look like cats and dogs, because I stashed some SA threads.

I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch as it's pretty obvious: what if i coud take a snapshot of the screen first, do that dimming effect like when I save something and let me draw a box around the around my raisin oatmeal cookie picture and some text, then scale that picture with the title, user text, maybe a intelligent summarize on hover. Present it in a Google image search view or similar and bammo. Allow me to sync this in Opera Link and to save this as a single file, including/excluding folders so i can send my collection of cookie recipes to my friend or backup everything on an external. Sounds like something opera would implement expertly.

And let me view in a list mode like old times because god i don't have all day.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 19, 2013

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
YESSSSS! It's happening!

Rocker gestures are a godsend. God sent rocker gestures back to Oslo.

This is looking good, stable, still fast as gently caress, with the future versions looking promising. I wish Notes would come back with Sync, it's implementation is great and I love having all my random notes synced with all my devices.

Edit: Who else has 4 versions of the Opera icon in their taskbar?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I spent a few hours today customizing firefox extensions to behave exactly like opera 12 did. I still have some little handy features to find solutions for... such as the quick pop up menu when you double click. My google fu isn't good enough to find that behavior.

However, overall, I'd say i'm pretty drat close to replicating opera 12 in firefox. Holy poo poo guys, firefox has "instant back/forward" like opera 7/8/9 used to have. That is what started me down this path. I'll see if there's a way to export all the settings and we can all use it.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 12, 2013

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Tiggum posted:

What? Double-clicking just selects a word.

Opera 12 and older: Preferences > Advanced > Toolbars: Double click text to display context menu

Used to be on by default in previous versions of Opera. Saves exactly one mouse click. I liked the feature. :)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Megabound posted:

Would you mind posting what extensions you've settled for? I've been trying to find a browser with a built in RSS reader. Getting off 12.16 will some day be inevitable but my RSS feeds and quick search Keywords are hard to leave behind.

Sure! It's working out great. It's pretty much Opera 12 with instant back and reeeally smooth scrolling (i like it).

Spent a long time setting up everything to my liking... even have the bookmark/downloads/info panels working. I think I'm done customizing, I'll post a list and export all the settings I can when I get home. I've not found a replacement for synced notes like opera link had, though I suspect I will be moving to evernote or something anyway. I'm sure there's an extension for that, but getting it in a panel will be hard.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wow, you're right. This makes me less nervous about the future of the company. At least Mobile is a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Vivaldi is trying very hard to copy O12's featureset as well as make the experience better.

They're almost there but REALLY need a sync feature. I have it installed everywhere but I loathe loading and importing my profile like I live in 2005.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 21, 2016