Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
In one of the Opera threads, it was said that the two-line Enter is supposed to be a feature, and that shift-Enter skips only a single-line. I don't know what garbled text problem you're talking about though. Screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I've always known about this "feature" but thought I might mention it here:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab. If you want to refresh a background tab, you can hold right-click and move up then down. Or closing a tab you can hold right-click and move down then right. You can also go back/forward with the mouse button rocking gestures too.

It's useless most of the time, but it's kind of useful in selecting/closing a bunch of tabs without activating them.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

thrawn86 posted:

hm nope. actually it hasn't worked for the last several builds. driving me nuts having two opera icons on my bar (one for 9.5b and one for whatever the current build is). it hangs on the "loading" bar, about 90% completion

It does the same thing if I Identify as IE. Changing it to Identify as Opera makes it work for me. Maybe check that?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Since for me the biggest downfall of Opera is its apparent diarrhea when it comes to distributing its config/settings files all over my OS, i finally switched over to Opera@USB and im loving it so far (since i have to switch pcs/dual boot different OS often). Has anybody here tried it before and found a huge flaw? If not just see this as a recommendation.

I've been using Opera@USB for a couple of years now. There's a 10 alpha version somewhere on the myopera forums too. I like that I can zip up the entire folder and copy it to another computer and retain my settings/passwords/searches.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I was wondering if anyone else had this issue:

I run into trouble when I click on a dropdown menu/box, and then hit a key to select an item, and then hit Enter to activate it. The link/option doesn't "activate" correctly.

For example, when I use the forums dropdown box at the bottom of a page, I click the dropdown menu where it says "Please select one:"

When I press "U" for User Control Panel, the correct item is selected. However, when I hit Enter, it takes me to an invalid forum. It's most annoying when I'm entering my address at online stores, and I'm using the dropdown menu to select my state.

Does anyone else have this problem with Opera 10 beta (or alpha)? I had the same problem in alpha but I was hoping they'd fix it in beta.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a slightly strange issue: When I scroll through a page (with mouse wheel, arrow button, or space bar, etc), I notice a faint sound through my speakers. The sound occurs whether I have it connected via HDMI (to my TV monitor) or via a stereo mini-plug cable (to external speakers). I've found that when I turn off smooth scrolling it goes away. Firefox and IE don't give me this sound, either with or without smooth scrolling.

I'm using Opera 10 beta on Windows XP (however, it also occurred with 10 alpha).

I haven't been able to test it on another computer, but I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed this.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 9, 2009

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I muted it and the sound is still there. Like you said, it's probably just noisy hardware. I cranked the volume up on the speakers and now I can hear it on Firefox and IE too.

It's kind of funny that Opera makes a scraping sound, while Firefox makes the same scraping sound but at a lower volume. IE makes a screeching sound at the same volume as Firefox, all tested on the same page.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Jobarr posted:

Does turning "Smooth Scrolling" on or off change the sound? :)

Yeah, I could have sworn that I mentioned that in my original post. It doesn't really bother me, but I just thought it was interesting. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :)

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

thrawn86 posted:

yeah, google does something similar. when I type something in and hit enter, most of the time it doesn't catch the keypress and I have to manually click on the search button.

I think you're talking about a completely different issue. Try this: on the Google page, go to Preferences, and choose "Do not provide query suggestions in the search box."

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=77aff63ce72c6c32&hl=en

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Usually when operas tabs go above 50, i switch to the "Windows" panel which has handy 'quick find' filtering to quickly switch and drag tabs between Opera windows - it even has multiselect with shift or ctrl. Im still looking for a better "Sort" option, though i guess the name sorting is okay in most cases.

I've always wanted to be able to drag tabs between windows and now I find out it's been built-in all this time. :(

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Uhm, why didnt you just, you know, try to actually "drag and drop" them between windows (on the tab bar that is) like you can do in a single window to manually reorder them? Granted, its one at a time, but its still more intuitive. Also grabbing a tab and pulling it outside of the window (or on areas that cant 'process' tab drops) automatically opens the tab in a new window. It doesnt even reload/refresh the page, so movieplayers just keep on playing.

God drat opera, why is your weakest point your piss poor declaration/advertising of gui-features. :argh:

I knew about dragging a tab outside to create a new window, in fact, as you said, to make it easier to watch videos. But the last time I tried to drag tabs between windows it didn't work. Maybe because I didn't drag the tab to the tab bar?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
What urlfilter.ini (adblock) list are people using?

When I use the list from http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ almost all pages from SA don't load fully and it always says Elements: 0/0 in the progress bar. Is there a list that's less aggressive or is there some entry in the list that I can delete?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm using Opera 10 beta, build 1642. Has it always worked well with the previous versions? I've had this problem since Opera 10 beta, I think. I don't remember about the alpha.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Casao posted:

I'm using http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ on 3 separate machines with the latest builds of Opera 10 and I don't have this elements 0/0 thing on any of them.

So far this works perfectly. Now I can browse even more efficiently.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Casao posted:

I'm using http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ on 3 separate machines with the latest builds of Opera 10 and I don't have this elements 0/0 thing on any of them.

Originally I said this list was working great, but I've been experiencing a problem. With this list on, I find that I have to click "Back" twice in order to go back a page in SA. And when I try to go forward again, it ends up going to "Next page" instead of forward in my history. This only happens in SA.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

turtle_07 posted:

The forums "double back" problem is back for me with Opera 10.

Any ideas when opera unite is going to join the main build?

Do you use an ad blocking list? I downloaded a huge premade one and at least one of those entries caused the "double back" problem for me.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
If you choose the "Opera 9.2 Compatible" keyboard setup, everything (almost everything?) will be back to the Opera 9 shortcuts.

Also check the box for "Enable single-key shortcuts" in order to get the 1,2,z,x, etc. shortcuts back.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

kapalama posted:

http://is.gd/6NjND

Very cool little tool for shortening url from the address bar.

Before I clicked the link, I thought it would be about typing "condensed" URLs and having Opera expand them. What I mean is that if you type: google/calendar into your address bar, Opera will automatically expand it to "google.com/calendar" and go to the correct webpage. I find it useful mainly for google/calendar and google/voice

I tried it on Firefox and it seems that Firefox doesn't do this (yet?).

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I get the impression that 10.5 has a harder time with pages with a ton of images. For example: http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/

When I mousewheel scroll up/down or even when I just page up/down, the scrolling is very laggy and jerky. When I hit page down, it'll lag about half a second before paging down. Switching to that particular tab from another tab also lags about half a second too. I've tried toggling smooth scrolling but it doesn't help.

I have a 10.10 installation on the same computer and that website poses absolutely no problems for it. The scrolling is immediate and works like any other page.

Does anyone else experience this?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That page takes a few seconds to load up during which the scrolling jitters (because the browser is adding the pictures on the fly changing the page length) but after that it's as smooth as every other page for me. Using page down i can go through the page in less than a second.

RAM issues?

I don't think it's RAM issues since I have the same setup and problem at my work computer :(

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

longview posted:

Quick question: is there a way to make new opera windows act like the "primary" window when tabs are closed i.e. return to speed dial instead of closing along with the last tab?

In Preferences -> Tabs there's an Additional Tab Options button which takes you to another menu where you can select "Allow Windows with No Tabs"

The main window won't show a speed dial but it'll stay open when all tabs are closed.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

prefect posted:

The minimize/maximize/close buttons on my individual tabs disappear when they're maximized. (But when I click where they should be, the correct thing happens.) Is anyone else seeing that?

I'm having this problem too. It's useful when there's a flash site that won't let you use mouse gestures to close the window.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

naptalan posted:

You can middle click on tabs to close them! :) On my main Opera install, I removed the close buttons entirely since I always close with mouse gestures, ctrl+W or middle clicking.

I do this too but sometimes I have 30+ tabs open and it's hard to tell which one is actually activated. So sometimes having the x is useful!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Somehow I managed to get it into a perpetual "crash on startup" loop, no matter what I choose (don't load extensions, start with speed dial, start with home page, etc.). Left it for a while and it worked again but my Speed Dial extensions don't work anymore. Hooray Opera.

This happened to me and I reinstalled 12.12 over 12.13 (http://www.oldapps.com/opera.php?old_opera=8611?download I think) and it's been working ok for a few days now.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Starting sometime last night (it worked fine throughout the day), Amazon searches stopped working for me in Opera. I've tried both the 'z' keyword in the address bar and the search box on Amazon.com itself but then just return a blank page. I've done searches in Chrome and copy/pasted the urls, but they show up as blank pages too. Is anyone else experiencing this?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

sbt posted:

Is there a way in Firefox to get the right click/scroll wheel tab switching to work like in Opera?
All-in-one gestures has a function like that and it's pretty close, but it doesn't go through the tabs in last used order. I didn't see an option to do that either.

This, along with single-key shortcuts is too ingrained in muscle memory to let me switch from Opera :cry:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Regarding switching away from Opera:

I have a userjs script that's fairly heavily customized (read: big mess of a hackjob) that I use to make my job easier. I really don't want to write myself a new extension/script/whatever if I switch to Firefox or Chrome. Where can I go to commission someone to write a similar script for me for one of these other browsers?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

The things I use Opera for:

* The Opera cycle mode.
That thing where ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab do a different thing to [whatever shortcut you have set up for the other cycle mode, in my case it was always 1+2].

I can never really explain the cycle mode to people, I don't have the vocab, but you probably know what I mean. That thing where you could easily get to the last tab you were on, instead of whatever tab is physically next to the one you're reading now. That thing.

I think this is called "most recently used order" or some variation of that. It's basically like Alt+tab on Windows and it's a lot more intuitive than cycling to the next adjacent tab, for sure. There's an extension to do it in Chrome but they can't modify the built-in Ctrl+tab behavior so they set it to Ctrl+Q or something like that.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

Thanks for the replies:

That's fine by me, do you know what the extension's called?

The Chrome extension is "Recent Tabs"

hopefully this link works:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recent-tabs/ocllfmhjhfmogablefmibmjcodggknml

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Ape Agitator posted:

And then it's incredibly geeky to get into menu editing in Opera but now my right click menu is just a streamlined interface that works perfectly for me.

I still have the SA menu for Opera installed from years ago:

Muscle memory is ingrained for:
User Control Panel: alt > s > o > o
The Football Funhouse: alt > s > d > f
Ask/Tell: alt > s > d > a
etc

Is there a similar thing for Chrome? It's so hard to switch to other browsers because of these ingrained habits.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I've switched from Opera to Vivaldi and it's mostly close enough to how I want it to work, but one thing does keep irritating me. In Opera, I could select text that was part of a hyperlink. In Vivaldi it seems to just drag the hyperlink for some reason. Is there any way to fix that?

If I'm not being clear, what I mean is that, on this page for example, if I try to select the words "Opera Thread" it won't let me, like this:

The only thing I can suggest is to start the click-and-drag from slightly above or below the hyperlink and you can select the text.

For me, what's missing in Vivaldi is custom menus (mainly to browse SA with keyboard shortcuts) and Opera's handling of animated GIFs was much less resource intensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

If I'm high (or low) enough to not drag the link it just selects from the start (or end) of the line. :confused:

Works for me on Vivaldi and all other browsers on Windows 10. It might work differently on another OS. Also, when I drag a link, it doesn't display the URL like in your screenshot, so I'm thinking it might be an OS thing.