Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I've been messing about with the ad-blocking functionality mentioned in the OP, but it seems to be causing more problems than it solves. For example, every page on the forums never seems to finish loading - the progress bar sits at Elements 0/0 indefinitely. This wouldn't be a problem except that if I leave a tab open while it's in limbo Opera starts to chew up memory. I left the PC for several hours with 2 tabs open (Wiki page and SA Forums main page) and came back to find Opera using around 800MB of memory.

This is on 9.63 that I installed a few days ago, with no previous versions ever having been on this PC. Any suggestions for alternative methods of ad-blocking, preferably something like the Ad-Block extension for FF that has a sensible starting list with the ability to whitelist certain sites/pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Wheany posted:

You can probobly google a starting list and you can enable content blockgin on per-site basis. Right click -> Edit site preferences -> Content

I think this would leave me with the same problem, that whenever I access a page that has blocked content the page never seems to finish loading. It displays OK but the progress bar never closes and memory usage creeps up and up.

In the meantime, I just removed the blocklist because I'm finding that Opera WITH ads is still a hell of a lot quicker than Firefox WITHOUT ads (and much nicer to use too).

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I've been running the 10.5 alpha since the weekend now, and I'm really impressed with the speed. I encountered fewer problems (and no crashes to date) than I have with many 'final' versions of other software, to the point that it's easy to forget I'm running an alpha version at all.

The integration with Aero and Windows 7 features such as speed dial sites appearing on the taskbar jump list are nice touches. I never hated the earlier default themes as much as some, but having a proper Aero UI is a welcome change.

With a bit of fiddling around with menu layout I managed to get Opera spartan enough to suit my tastes:

Click here for the full 917x750 image.

If only there were a 'new tab' mouse gesture so I could kill off that button too.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Mithaldu posted:

Does "rightclick -> pull down" not work?

Heh, all this time and I never knew that one. I think I learnt a number of gestures ages ago and never expanded my knowledge since. Guess I'll have to dig out the list and see what others I've been missing.

thrawn86 posted:

Is there any way to stop opera tabs from showing up as separate windows in aero peek? I routinely keep 2-3 different windows open with different sets of tabs in each, and its very confusing to see 20+ tabs open all at once.

What made you bring back the title bar? also, how did you get transparency in the tabs like that?

Not sure what you mean by 'bring back the title bar'. All windows have a title bar :confused:. As for the tabs, in 10.5 the tabs seem to be transparent by default but it isn't really noticeable unless you set the colour scheme to 'None' in the Appearance dialog.

edit: I haven't found a way to disable Aero Peek within Opera yet, mainly because I don't really want to. One option would be to modify your Opera shortcut to launch in Vista compatibility mode - this will keep the Aero Glass effects but disable the Win 7-specific stuff.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 6, 2010

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I'm experiencing a very weird thing since upgrading to 10.51. Whenever I click on a link to download something (or right-click->Save link as...) no matter what type of file it is Opera always wants to save it as an AVI. It also deletes the existing filename extension and replaces it with .avi leaving me clueless as to whether I just downloaded an .exe, .zip, .mp3 or whatever.

The only time it behaves as expected is when right-clicking to save images. I've no idea where to start looking for a solution in the configuration.

edit: Doesn't seem to be all files. Maybe only those where the server isn't sending correct mime types in the header or something, I don't know.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 8, 2010

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

DuckConference posted:

Are there any extensions that would let me opera to run only certain plugins on demand, but whitelist certain sites so that plugins run automatically?

It can be done without extensions. In Preferences go to Advanced -> Content and tick "Enable plug-ins only on demand". Then for every site you want to white-list, open the site, right-click and select "Edit Site Preferences..", go to the Content tab and untick "Enable plug-ins only on demand".

edit: Oops that's for all plug-ins, not for specific ones like you asked. To be honest, Flash is the only plug-in I use. I disabled all the rest a while back and no sites seem to have required them since.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

DuckConference posted:

Thanks, this should work fine for what I need.

I think this is new from 11.5 onwards. I only just noticed it today while looking for something else. I remember looking for a similar thing not long ago in v10.x and there was no option to enable plug-ins on a per-site basis.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Meroin posted:

Why can't I rearrange tabs by dragging without putting them into a group with the adjacent tab? This has been a problem since my first 11.5 alphas. The rearranging ][ cursor that shows up between tabs has always been lovely.

Rearranging cursor? Not sure what that is, my cursor stays the same throughout. When dragging a tab the underlying tab will change colour when the dragged tab moves into the hot spot for creating a tab group. Just don't release the mouse button when that's the case? Keep dragging it until the tabs do their switchy thing and then release. The hot spot isn't that big. Until 11.5 it was hard enough to hit accidentally that I didn't realise tab groups existed.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I just went to check my bank balance in 11.5 and noticed it popped up the "Save this password?" dialog when I logged in, which it never did before on banking sites. Curious to see what happened I clicked yes and logged out again. It seems Opera remembered both the username and password.

Isn't there an HTTP header or something that sites like banks use to tell browsers not to save passwords? It's not a change to the site, Firefox and Chrome don't offer to save it.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Wheany posted:

You can add a autocomplete="off" to a <form> tag to request that the browser does not save the login details. Opera ignores it.

If you don't want Opera to remember the password, just click on "never for this site"

I was certain that Opera respected the autocomplete attribute in versions prior to 11.50, but it may just have been that I'd told it to never remember the password some time in the distant past. 11.50 was the first clean install for ages so maybe I'd just gotten used to not seeing it. It seems the attribute is going to be standardised in HTML5 so I imagine Opera will have to support it eventually.

Bonus posted:

A lot of the times the pages in my history are pretty arbitrary. I know I've visited some but they just don't show up in the history page. Has been like this for a while though.

This has been annoying me for some time too. It's really irritating to type a phrase into the address bar and see the drop-down list filled with entries I bookmarked 3 years ago but not the matching page I visited 30 minutes ago. It's not just an Opera thing, Chrome seems to be equally useless at recalling things from history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Riso posted:

Not to forget the Fast Forward feature, allowing you to skip to the next page in an article/forum with a simple press of a button.

This is one of those features I hadn't realised was an Opera thing. I was so used to reading pages on SA and other forums with <space> to page down and <space> to jump to the next page when it reached the bottom, I thought it was just how things worked for those sites.

It wasn't until I switched jobs to one with a restrictive group policy that won't let me install Opera that I realised it wasn't standard behavior. Other browsers still use <space> to page down but it stops working for no reason whatsoever once they reach the bottom of the page.

edit: On a negative point my personal experience of v12 has been terrible so far, mostly based on its handling of plugins. Seems there is a new plugin wrapper designed to prevent Flash killing the whole browser when it crashes. I've never had that happen before, but now watching a Youtube video in a new window fullscreened on my second monitor seems to crash the browser completely about 50% of the time.

If it doesn't crash and I close the window, the audio from the video keeps on playing until I open Task Manager and kill opera_plugin_wrapper.exe, at which point opera.exe dies as well. Nothing worse than a solution to a problem I didn't know existed that causes brand-new problems I never experienced before.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 20, 2012