Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GuyGizmo posted:

I just tried out the Mac version of Opera 10. Sadly it looks exactly the same as Opera 9 (didn't they hire Jon Hicks to fix the look of the Mac version? Maybe his influence isn't being felt just yet), but it feels much faster. Because I use the email client I'm going to wait until a stable release to upgrade, but it's looking good so far.

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect any UI overhaul until it hits mid-beta at the earliest. The new v10 alpha is all about the new rendering engine.

edit: on first thought, gmail is much faster

gret fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DevastatorIIC posted:

I just noticed a new feature in 10 - When you page down to the bottom of a page, it'll show you the bottom of the previous page in the background margins.

Example. Notice the line through Casao's post.

So how is that useful?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Gmail seems to load up faster in the new build.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

rincewind101 posted:

I'm trying Opera on OSX
My main problem is the scroll wheel is way too sensitive.
With Safari/Firefox, the behavior is normal. But with Opera, it's so sensitive that the little movement generated by middle clicking causes the page to scroll.
How can I change that? There's nothing in Preferences that I could see.

I'm having the exact same problem and AFAIK there's no fix. It's the one thing that I always hope they'd fix but I'm invariably disappointed when each new version comes out without a fix.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Has anyone else noticed that websites will often get confused about which country you're browsing from if you visit the site using Opera?

For example, even though I'm in the U.S., Microsoft's Bing search engine thinks that I'm browsing from China, eBay thinks I'm browsing from somewhere in Europe, and MegaUpload thinks that I'm browsing from Germany.

Meanwhile, none of this confusion occurs if I'm using, say, Safari on the same computer with the same IP address.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Lakitu7 posted:

Do you have Turbo on? I'm just guessing but that would be a logical cause of issues like this.

No. It's also been a problem for me on previous versions of Opera, IIRC.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah this is pretty lame. I'm not sure what big problem this is solving.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Casao posted:

And Opera beta 2 is out. And then there's a separate beta 2 w/ unite build.

Mostly just bug fixes, though the loving horrible red error page is gone.

The red was kind of jarring, but I'm kind of missing that now. :(

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Anyone else going to the Opera tweetup in San Francisco later tonight?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ugh... Mac Opera 10.10 is constantly crashing on me. I can't go more than 5 minutes of web browsing before it crashes. Anyone else experiencing something like this? I've tried deleting preferences and such, but it's not helping at all.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Casao posted:

Try uninstalling using AppTrap or AppZapper or whatever your "Basic functionality that's not included in the OS WHY?!" application of choice is, run through your Libraries and Preferences folders(global and user-specifics) to be sure nothing referencing Opera exists, then reinstalling. If it persists, file a bug report with Opera.

Thanks, after a bit of sleuthing I think that a corrupt Flash (surprise!) plugin was causing all of my Opera woes. After getting that straightened out my Opera hasn't crashed yet (fingers crossed).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

quote:

If you're using Mac OS, you will notice that Opera looks a lot more Mac-ish. This is the result of some big changes under the hood. Opera 10.5 for Mac has moved to using the Cocoa framework, which makes it possible to introduce the Unified Toolbar, more native user interface widgets and support for Growl.

:woop: :woop:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wow, the latest 10.5 pre-alpha is a lot faster on my Mac. It's really noticeable how much faster it is compared to the previous pre-alpha.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Newer snapshot (for Mac users). Apparently Mac Beta 2 is coming.

Yay! The scrolling is finally tolerable on the Magic Mouse. It could be smoother and a little slower, but it's alreay 100x more usable than before. They've now pretty much addressed my only remaining dealbreaker with Opera.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I've just looked out of my window and was disappointed to not see any flying pigs. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So is Opera not going to work any further on 10.70 and putting all of their effors on 11? Or are they still going to release a release build of 10.70?