Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Wow this is useful. Just when I thought Opera couldn't suit my needs any more perfectly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Previous page:

Lakitu7 posted:

http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#menu

You're right; you can't customize it. However, you can kill it and recreate it to a fairly large degree as part of another bar via some hacky custom buttons. Their behavior as "menus" isn't perfect when finished, but it works okay if you rarely use them.

I'm using "Toggle Menu bar on/off AND dropdown the main menu (with image if using several custom skins)" on my status bar (which I move to the top, not sure why but it might have been default in like Opera 5) and it works without a hitch.

e: Opera on a netbook is the god of space. Skin is Breeze Simplified Micro.

Kameleon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 15, 2009

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Casao posted:

F will also do "Find in page"

Which isn't as cool as just hitting / to bring up the Firefox-esque search box, something I also discovered entirely by accident.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Meroin posted:

With every new browser release, it becomes more and more frustrating to avoid using tabs. When I click the "O" icon from my quicklaunch, if I already have Opera open, it will just create a new tab. How do I get it to open in a new window? Better yet, is there a "disable tabbed browsing" box that I can untick (I seem to remember one in Firefox).

e: This is with the new Opera 10 beta 1.

It's almost as if you haven't looked at the tab options at all!

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Opera has stopped me installing the touchpad drivers on my Eee, as the default W7 ones allow me to three-finger swipe to do gestures and the Elantech ones don't. Left for back, right for forward, down for close, up for refresh. Eventually I'll remap all the other hotkeys I use even infrequently to various up/down/up combos and my need for a keyboard will be non-existent. Bliss.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

ufarn posted:

Can anyone track down an "Open in Chrome" bookmarklet/button for me? My Google-fu is weak.

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/open-in-firefox-internet-explorer

Second result for '"open in chrome" opera'.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

ufarn posted:

Yes, but I am lazy and want drag and drop. :colbert: :P

wow you really are lazy aren't you

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

rincewind101 posted:

So I upgraded to Opera 10 and my browsing is extremely slow
The program is fine, but it seems like my internet connection got downgraded to a 56k modem.

Like just going to google just now, it spent on the order of a minute trying to connect. Then it loaded the page fine. But once I visit a page once in a browsing session, I can then load the page fine (new tab and enter in google.com is instant). This behavior is happening with all addresses.

Is Opera doing some sort of phishing check, or some sort of checking with some service that is slowing down my browsing? I searched through the prefs but didn't see anything that caught my eye.

Is Opera Turbo switched on? There'll be a button with a little speedometer icon somewhere. It actually makes things slower on fast connections as all webpages get routed/compressed through Opera's quite-overloaded servers.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Yeah, I saw the keyboard layout under advanced preferences but the list of things you can edit is looooong. Any idea which ones I'm looking for? The ctrl b one I mentioned in my last post is the most important, I can do without the others.

It's called "paste and go".

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Tyrion posted:

I'm an Opera employee, working on Opera desktop temporarily.

Don't suppose you know if the transparency flickering is being fixed? Might just be because I'm using the Glass skin but when scrolling occasionally the entire screen will flicker to my background. I read it was something about large images and the memory cache but I increased mine to 100MB and it still happens.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Is there a way to make the status field a popup like Chrome instead of being on an always-on bar? Would save me a hell of a lot of screen real estate.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Blodskur posted:

I think this is what you want: right click address bar > Customize > Appearance > Toolbars > Progress bar > Pop-up at bottom.

Status field, not progress bar. Currently my status bar only contains the status field and a couple of buttons that I only have there to make it look a bit more full, I would like to eliminate it altogether.

I can't see any way to get the status field to appear inside the address bar, that would be an ideal solution for me.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Tyrion posted:

Maybe Customize -> Appearance -> Buttons -> Status -> Status field, drag to address bar somewhere. It won't go inside the address field though...

At 1024x600 there isn't enough horizontal room for that either. A Chrome-like popup or replacing the address bar on hover would be the best solutions.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Now i only need to have the Glass Skin fixed.

What's wrong with it? Apart from making all the other browsers very jealous...

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Is it a weird quirk with 10.5 or have the SA ads gone poo poo again? The top ad won't ever load and without it loading I can't block it.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Both in normal and maximized state 1.19,1.23,1.32,1.33 disables the min/max and close buttons in the top right corner. 1.11 works oddly enough.

Working fine for me in 1.33. There's no hover animation on the buttons but they work. Moving the tab bar off the title bar restores the hover animation.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Some other things:
-The gesture system still seems a bit wonky. Occasionally the window will just close when i try to do the "new tab" gesture, the "close tab" gesture is only recognized 50% of the time, "reload" requires a much more precise and bigger up-down movement than before. I already played around with the treshhold value, but alt tabbing from 10.10 to 10.50 and using the same gestures its persistence is starting to irk me.

My gestures are working fine too. I changed the threshold value before they 'fixed' it and haven't changed it back. I'm using three-finger swipes on my touchpad rather than a mouse, though.

Can't comment on the dual-screen issue or flash, really. Are you sure that's skin-related and not just 10.5 bugs?

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

It's not been mentioned on this page yet so here's a quick plug for the Z1-Glass skin which brings full transparency to Vista and 7 systems running 10.5. Utterly fantastic.

Kameleon fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 13, 2010

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

I've also had some issues with the 10.5 beta, once my GDI count was over 2000 and I've had memory leak issues too. Currently what's annoying me is 100% CPU usage, which I can't pin down to any particular tab (if I close all but one it goes away, but it doesn't matter which one I leave, the second-to-last to close always stops it). Beta really does mean beta, hopefully this will get fixed sharpish.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Stop moaning about lack of updates, there's a new snapshot out! Lots of 'general fixes' apparently.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Another crash-fixing build!

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah, it's not great.

EDIT - found this in the desktop blog post comments:

quote:

Preferences dialog can be fixed by editing ui\dialog.ini file.

Find "Widget_notification_checkbox" (there are two lines with that string next to each other) and remove ", End" from first line.

Works a treat.

Kameleon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 18, 2010

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

A question regarding "." or Ctrl-F find, does ESC automatically close the Find bar? Because mine doesn't even on the cleanest of installations (literally no Opera Link, no previous files, uniquely named Folder) and it seems like it should.

It does. Have you used a clean install of 10.5 beta? They warn you from upgrading your main install for a reason (not that I listened, but it sounds like I have a hell of a lot less bugs than you).

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Immediately closes, as you would expect from any piece of software.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Startacus posted:

Am I the only one not having any issues in 10.51?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

JonTheDon posted:

Since installing the new build, Opera crashes every time I close a tab.

Not every time, but this is now happening occasionally to my ultra-reliable install too since the latest build. Grr.