Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stanley Pain posted:

Holy crap Opera 10 is FAST. Facebook has never felt this responsive. What're some good pages to test out javascript performance?

Netvibes.

Arranging the widgets on Netvibes, moving them into other tabs, or just moving them inside a tab. So smooth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Did you know: Clicking on a image while holding Ctrl opens the "Save image as" dialog.

<-- Try it now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zuffox posted:

I've just installed Opera 10.0, but I can't switch tabs with keys 1 and 2. Can anyone recall how you bring back the old keyboard shortcuts, because fidgeting with the Shortcuts tab doesn't seem to work.

Shortcuts -> check enable single key shortcuts. Or something like that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

HUMAN FISH posted:

eriously, the way ctrl-tab works in FF drives me loving crazy after being spoiled with Opera's proper ctrl-tab. I can't understand people that are content with the FF/Chrome ctrl-tab.

It's weird because in Windows and in Linux (with xfce) at least, alt-tab is "most recently used first", and not "next window in the stack."

So in my mind Opera's function is the correct one in that sense also.

(I use right mouse button + scrollwheel down. Scrollwheel up is "least recently used tab", or "the tab i just opened by clicking a link with the wheel/middle button.")

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zuffox posted:

When trying to listen to a radio stream, I get the message that I need to install a Windows Media Player plug-in. It doesn't offer me a link to said plug-in, however.
Try the instructions at http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/434/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

golden_appel posted:

This is on 9.63 that I installed a few days ago, with no previous versions ever having been on this PC. Any suggestions for alternative methods of ad-blocking, preferably something like the Ad-Block extension for FF that has a sensible starting list with the ability to whitelist certain sites/pages.

You can probobly google a starting list and you can enable content blockgin on per-site basis. Right click -> Edit site preferences -> Content

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zuffox posted:

No dice.

I find it odd that they force this feature upon people.

I prefer the new behavior. Formerly it used to show the raw xml and pop up a dialog that asked if you wanted to subscribe to the feed. Now it only shows the preview, and you can copy the feed url from the address bar.

I admit that just having a "copy feed address" in the feed icon would be better, but I can live with the current behavior.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mo_Steel posted:

e2: Does anyone know how to disable my mouse6 button (thumb button on the G5) from being the Back button? I tried editting the settings in the advanced window and also editting the config files, but no dice unless I did something wrong.

I think that might be you OS's mouse settings.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Opera Mini loving owns. If you use Opera link to synchronize, all your bookmarks and notes are available to you in Opera Mini as well. Plus it supports fit-to-width, which is really great when you're actually trying to read something.

A QVGA sized peephole into a web page designed for 1024 pixels wide browser window gets old pretty fast.

Too bad Opera Mobile doesn't support new Nokia phones, but Opera Mini works better than it has any right to.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay, so they're giving up on the user agent version string issue. When the first weeklies came out, they said that using a version string such as "Opera 9.9 (10, really)" would just lead to "Opera 9.999 (10, really)[no, actually, it's 11]{seriously though, it's 12}"

9.8 sounds like they are synchronizing the minor version with IE's major version. When the world is ready for Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0), it's ready for Opera 13 or whatever.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Anunnaki posted:

uhh... what? :pwn:

Users reported that some sites that sniff user agents break since they don't expect a user agent string to contain more than one number. So "Opera 9" is correctly interpreted as Opera browser, version 9. "Opera 10" is incorrectly interpreted as Opera browser, version 1.

Broken sites then refuse to let you in and tell you that you need to upgrade your outdated Opera 1 browser to at least Opera 6 or something. People suggested that as a workaround Opera change their user agent to something like "Opera 9.9 (Opera 10)" and initially the developers refused.

Now the changelog says that Opera 10's user agent is "Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.00"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Opera can do the dumbest stuff:

XHTML, javascript and SVG This page works in Firefox as well.

User javascript file that does the same effect on every web page

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

mcyahwe posted:

E, post your opera layout

No toolbars at the bottom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

thrawn86 posted:

^brilliant! I set mine to popup though, so it doesn't bother me because I'm not getting the 0/0 error anymore

I use the status field mostly to see link urls. Transfers I've set to show inside the address bar. If Opera had one "navigation history" dropdown button, I wouldn't need separate back and forward buttons either.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Casao posted:

Real men use rockers or mouse gestures.
Well that makes me a real man then :smug:

Except if I want to go back a dozen or so pages.

Actually, I'm going to try your setup, but with the reload from cache button. Just to see if I really need the status bar or buttons on the left.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

mcyahwe posted:

Aaaaaam, never realized you could turn off the menu bar. Has that been there for long?

Since some Opera 10 beta or RC

Mithaldu posted:

Just hold your right mouse button and click the left one a bunch of times. :)

I knew that, but just selecting a page could be easier than flipping back a bunch of pages. "Could be," that's why I'm going to try to do without the buttons.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I'm assuming that Reload from Cache button is a custom button because I can't find it anywhere in Opera by default.

Yep, made it with The Opera Custom Button & Command Creator

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cocaine posted:

I don't see reload from cache in the actions lists. How did you do it?

The command's name is "Refresh display"

Are there any good skins for Opera 10 on netbooks. I'm using Breeze simplified micro, but it's becoming more and more broken the more outdated it's getting.

Okay, not broken-broken, but it doesn't have an "undo close tab" or "show menubar" buttons, so Opera uses the defaults, which have needless margins on the left and right.

MY SCREEN REAL ESTATE

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

down1nit posted:

If you have a phone capable of it, go to m.opera.com/next to grab Opera Mini 5 Beta.

Do it right the gently caress now!

down1nit posted:

That said: I really miss the scroll bars in Opera Mini 5 Beta. Specifically, I miss the U/D/L/R controls with the D-pad that lets me page up/down.

Assuming you have a keyboard: have you tried 2, 8, 4 and 6?

Also '*, left' = previous tab, '*, right' = next tab, '*, up' = new tab, '*, down' = close tab. These work in E71 without having to press the symbol key.

I like Opera Mini 5 more and more every day. If you hold down the middle button in your phone over a link, you get a context menu that lets you open the link in a new tab. Then just *, right, and keep reading the page you were reading and let the page load on the background. Change tabs again, read the link, *, down to close the tab and continue reeading the first page. It's like using a grown-up's browser.

You never have to leave full screen mode. Plus of course mobile view continues to own.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oooh, the transitions on the tab bar when opening and closing tabs are neat.

And now the UI takes even less space than before, and you can place buttons on the window title bar. If you want to be silly, you can put everything there:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Has anyone else's bookmarklets stopped working?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Meiji Mangaka posted:

How long ago since they used to work? A while back Opera got a little more strict with regards to how it evaluated java script: URLs meaning you more often had to put them in functions or parens or whatever. I think this happened around 10.0 or so though, so if it's a recent problem it may not be that.

Okay, I just checked, and actually the problem is that all of my bookmarklets have been truncated to 130 characters for some reason. So naturally a script longer than that results a syntax error.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Another 10.5 snapshot build.

Seems a lot more unstable to me.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
New build (3202).

Opera Desktop Team posted:

Presto has been upgraded to version 2.5.20 with improved stability and site compatibility fixes. Among the fixes are the crash when enabling fit-to-width, crash when opening a PDF, and the Acid3 and DOM performance regression from Saturday’s snapshot build.

e:Link to post

Wheany fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 21, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Can you @import other css-files from inside a user css file or is it blocked for security?

I'm planning on having one base user css file, then doing site-specific tweaks in other files, so something like:

code:
@import url("base.css");
body, body *
{
text-decoration: blink !important;
}
I did a quick test and didn't get it working, but I might have made a typo.

edit: Yep, I forgot to add !important; in my site-specific css file, so it didn't override the definitions in my base css file. v:v:v

Wheany fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 22, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

spoiler tags in the forum breaking

Yes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

AnimalChin posted:

I have to hit "i" on every page I load to get pictures. This includes linking out of facebook to an external site. Images don't load if opera has never seen them before.

I just upgraded to 10.10 hoping that would fix it, but no. Any ideas?

The View->Images menu has three settings: Show Images, Cached Images and No Images.
Sounds like you have it set on Cached Images.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Blodskur posted:

New Windows only snapshot.

Cool: Merged back and forward buttons

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

thrawn86 posted:

the only "problems" I've been having are that the alpha keeps stealing default program access away from my 10.1 install, and when I restart 10.1 it refuses to ask to make itself default.

That's the reason I uninstalled it on my home machine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

down1nit posted:

but as long as Opera's servers handle all the data and stick to Apple's APIs shouldn't it get approved pretty quick?

Not gonna happen.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
RC3

User JS/Browser JS fix
Fixed DSK-284257 (DEP (Data Execution Prevention) message)
Fixed DSK-284262 (Double-clicking on sent mail crashes Opera)
Fixed US-1881 (Opera Unite applications not localized in Opera 10.50 RC and RC2)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Ape Agitator posted:

Cool. My progression was 10.50 install (whichever was most current on Feb 20th) in a clean directory, hide everything but the Tab Bar/Page Bar, then upgrade to 10.50 Beta 2 using the Classic installer.

In XP you also need to use Windows XP theme, not Windows Classic :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

gibbed posted:

Edit: the password manager is now an in-page popup, what the hell?

Part of removing modal dialogs that prevent you from changing tabs when visible.

I'm more angry about the password manager closing on its own after a while, before I'm able to determine if I typed the password correctly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

gibbed posted:

Haha. If an image served by waffleimages is loaded into the page, and there's a link to the same image (to the proper img.waffleimages.com server) on the same page, when you right-click, Copy Link Address, it copies the served image's address instead of the real link, even though it shows the correct URL in the statusbar. :v:

I noticed the same thing with url redirectors. If you visit the url and it redirects you, you cannot copy the original url anymore.

Click the first link, come back to the results, try to copy the address of the link

e: actual example
e2: gently caress, and the bug report wizard doesn't work: "An error occurred while processing your bug report"

Wheany fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 3, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tyrion posted:

It got through, I'll confirm it.

Well, hopefully there wasn't a bazillion duplicate reports from me :f5h::f5:ing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

sm8000 posted:

What's the difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile, and which is better for my Blackberry?

Opera Mobile does renders natively on the phone and also runs javascript.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Stanley Pain posted:

New Vulnerability found in Opera :(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/05/opera_vulnerability/

No proof of concept for code execution yet.

A fix will probably be out in a day or two.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

KeviNguyen posted:

How much memory is this new opera using for you guys? Mine regularly pushes 600mb which is a lot more than the old version (I think). I mean, I guess I have the memory to spare, but I'm kind of OCD about it.

I had problems with memory usage on a low-end machine when I lisened to a flash based net radio for a long time. After I disabled flash, Opera has been behaving.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Does anyone else have a problem where if you either save or load (not sure which) a session manually from the file menu, any links opened from other programs, (like IM or Email) try to start a new instance of Opera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

thrawn86 posted:

do you have separate copies of opera installed? the alpha/beta always likes to take over my app preferences when I do, instead of opening them in the current release.

I only have the final 10.50 installed. I recently re-installed Windows, so no leftover app data directories either.

The problem is that a new Opera instance is started, with the same session you are running in the original Opera instance, except that the new instance also opens the link you clicked in the other program.