Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3d printing a form and then building a fiberglass cowl over it is not out of the question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

MetaJew posted:

There are a bunch of non OEM cowls on eBay these days. Are those trash?

I've seen mixed reviews. The color is usually visibly off.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I don't plan on spending money on it, but how much would it reasonably cost a bodyshop to prep and color match one to a bike? It seems like it would be an easy job for someone in that field.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not much I'd imagine. They're small

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A stupid question from an indecisive person: I lowsided my bike some time back at a track day and then I never got around to riding it because I bought a house and had no time or money while I was renovating said house.

So, I need at least some new bar end sliders, and maybe one day I'll buy a matching set of brake and clutch levers since I broke the clutch lever and replaced it while at the track.

1) Should I bother with brake lever guards? I'm by no means in the fast trackday group, nor do I race. But I prefer track days to riding on the street. (Also, they're a dime a dozen on ebay, and sold in pairs.)

If no, then I'm just going to buy these Woodcraft ones.

2) Are folding levers useful at all?

Also, many months ago, I was pouring Stabil into my fuel tank when the paper cap fell down, into the tank. As best I can tell, I'm probably going to need to remove the tank, and pull the fuel pump to get the paper out of there. Is there a better option than going this route?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Guy From Reddit posted:

post them?
I'll be selling them lol.
I just need to finish getting my equipment and paint :)

This guy is a shitlord, the materials cost is probably 30 cents, also why the gently caress did the dude design them in inch scale, every 3d printer in the world uses metric.

That's my machine with a 7" (around 180mm) bed and the file at its default size, heh. Everyone uses mm. Pretty cool though, wish I still had my SV :(

e: proper scale

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 25, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How hard is it to remember to multiply things by 25.4? Converting between US customary and metric is just something you gotta learn to do if you want to be able to make things.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

There's like zero reason to run premium gas in the new SV right? I know the manual in addition to several reviews say using regular is fine but I've still been using 93 out of habit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

👏 use 👏 what 👏 the 👏 manual 👏 recommends 👏

if Suzuki says the bike can run on regular, and you haven't modified it in a way that would mean it can't (i.e. decked the heads, added a turbo), then buying premium is just a waste of money. It's not better for the engine and it doesn't give you any more power.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buying premium makes your bike faster due to weight reduction in your wallet

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MetaJew posted:

I don't plan on spending money on it, but how much would it reasonably cost a bodyshop to prep and color match one to a bike? It seems like it would be an easy job for someone in that field.
Depends on the place but I think most pro painters wouldn't wanna do small jobs like just a body panel, they're in the business of doing bigger more expensive things and just setting up the equipment for any particular color takes a decent amount of work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TIL by looking in my bar end mirrors that the SV logo backwards is V2. :psypop:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:vince:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:allbuttons:

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

👏 use 👏 what 👏 the 👏 manual 👏 recommends 👏

if Suzuki says the bike can run on regular, and you haven't modified it in a way that would mean it can't (i.e. decked the heads, added a turbo), then buying premium is just a waste of money. It's not better for the engine and it doesn't give you any more power.

Cool cool...you will get no argument from me!

Truly is the Miata of motorcycles - as I'm pretty sure that was the last car I owned that I carefreely pumped regular into...thanks guys.

Also an unrelated note it will be sad if motorcycles end up going straight to electric and skip the whole downsize and add forced induction trend that the automotive world has been riding per CAFE and all. I can think of few things that are more badass than 'Turbocharged Motorcycle' :hai:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

King of the Beach posted:

Truly is the Miata of motorcycles

You aren't the first person I've heard say this. As someone who has had several miatas, I can't understand the correlation. Of course, it's an unofficial reference, but I thought the first gen EX250 was as exactly like a first gen miata as you could get in moto form, and could probably write an essay on it.

The SV seems more like a mustang GT. Big, heavy, gobs of power, cheap to own and keep.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Here's that essay for you http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?1145-700-Miles-on-a-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-A-motorcyclist-s-review

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Coydog posted:

You aren't the first person I've heard say this. As someone who has had several miatas, I can't understand the correlation. Of course, it's an unofficial reference, but I thought the first gen EX250 was as exactly like a first gen miata as you could get in moto form, and could probably write an essay on it.

The SV seems more like a mustang GT. Big, heavy, gobs of power, cheap to own and keep.

HA if I recall it used to be the title of this thread, no?

Also, while browsing the Ducati site yesterday I saw a picture of the Monster 821 Stripe and it occurred to me that the boffins at Suzuki had to be pulling one over the Ducati pisans on account of their shameless appropriation of their sacred white stripe on red gas tank as featured on the '17 SV650 (when painted red)...no doubt some salaryman in Japan had a horse's head DHL'd to him over that.

I am inclined to agree though, the EX250 is probably a better analogy (of course car:motorcycle analogies are silly, but still fun to think about as most analogies usually are - also not belittling the Kawasaki, in fact I've never even ridden one but would gladly do so in a heartbeat). As someone who has spent an abundance of time in both 1.6 and 1.8 NA Miatas I have a very hard time digesting that common comparison when the SV has a crazy little thing called torque and will gladly bust out a 0-60 on par with a late model 911 Turbo - but yeah otherwise aside from that factoid I think it's a fair comparison...though more like a NA Miata with a 302 swap IMHO~

Impkins Patootie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 26, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ninja 250 is the Miata of motorcycles, the SV650 is the modern day CB750

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nah, the SV is totally the Miata. The Ninja 250 is your mom's old corolla that you can thrash within an inch of it's life and still probably mostly not kill yourself. The fact that the SV does 0-60 in like 3.8 seconds or whatever is just why bikes own, but at that point your basis of comparison is bikes like the S1000XR. Where you'd be shifting out of 4th gear at 70 on an SV, you'd be slamming the quickshifter to take you out of first on the XR, laughing like a maniac as you ride the wheelie into second gear and warp speed. By the time the SV is topped out, you've still got 3 more gears on the XR.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 28, 2017

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well I found a $1600 SV that's about 3 hours away. I think it might be time for a new bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

First gen? Or wrecked 2nd gen?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
25,000 mile first gen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Niiice. That's a good price for a bike just completing break-in

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I got that SV for $1400. It runs perfectly but is sitting on rock hard PR2's. Gonna order a set of 4's I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Piiiiiics

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'll take some in the morning. As soon as I unloaded it I took the stock bar off to mount a Renthal fatbar I had sitting around and measure for HEL brake lines.

Well I already threw the Buell headlights and windscreen in the garbage where they belong so I could correctly route the cables for my bar.

edit: so there was a Penske 8900 hiding out back, but it's no longer charged.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 10, 2017

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Anyone know where this bracket might go? Found it in my box of parts when I was swapping my stock rearsets back on but I can't remember where this went and it didn't look like there was an obvious spot for it. Everything seems to have bolted up fine though 🤷‍♂️

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every bike has one or two spare parts, usually nuts and bolts, mounted on the frame that conveniently fall out when you take something off. That's probably just one of those.

(looks like an anti-rotation bracket maybe? check the parts fiche for your bike)

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Looks like the piece that goes between the right heel guard and the subframe (pardon the lovely garage pic):

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That actually holds the brake reservoir doesn't it? I can't really recall that part on my SV

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Is the factory sv kick stand just trash? The PO of my bike did some sort of mod or swap that involved bolting a big plastic puck to the foot of it-- I assume to reduce the chance of it sinking I to asphalt, but it also feels like it doesn't swing far enough forward. It feels like it's on a hair trigger to swing back up.

Also after basically leaving my bike on a tender for the last two years while I was doing a lot of home renovations I finally got most of all the fluids flushed and changed, and I put on fresh tires. All that's left now is to flush and bleed the brakes. Hopefully I'll be able to get some regular riding in now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have literally never thought about my kickstand. It is no more or less hair-triggery than any other bike I've owned. I'm suspecting PO fuckery is afoot.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That actually holds the brake reservoir doesn't it? I can't really recall that part on my SV

The brake reservoir sits on another little bracket above it. This thing is just there to reinforce the rearset, for whatever reason. Maybe Suzuki thought it'd bend around and gently caress up the rear master cylinder in a wreck.

My kickstand works fine, seconding PO fuckery.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
This isn't stock, right? 08 SV650SF

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah, man. They are all like that. Make sure you have a fresh shoe on that hoof.

edit: It looks bent a little backwards. There in the middle. That could contribute to it being easier to rock backwards.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Nah, man. They are all like that. Make sure you have a fresh shoe on that hoof.

edit: It looks bent a little backwards. There in the middle. That could contribute to it being easier to rock backwards.

Maybe it's the angle, but it does look a little bent. It also looks like someone cut the bottom off the original to put that weird foot on it.

Fats fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 19, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the horse hoof is not stock.

This is:

My guess, and this is just a guess, is maybe due to the extra weight of the horse hoof, they had to put a stronger spring on to keep the kickstand from sagging and/or dragging on the ground and now it snaps back up more than a stocker would?

That's giving a PO lots of credit to try to do things right, but who knows

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 19, 2017

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah, no clue on the kickstand. Just gotta be careful with it and make sure it's secure before I put weight on it.

In other news, I flushed the brakes yesterday, and I don't know what the deal is, but my 1/4" ID vinyl hose would not stay seated on any of the bleeder nipples. It was leaking everywhere. Not a huge problem on the front, but the rear brake made a huge mess. My brother was saying he had the same trouble on the rear brake of his R6. I've done the brakes on plenty of cars and my KTM, and never had much trouble. Maybe it was just the awkward angle between the wheel and the huge stock exhaust can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
If anyone needs a front stand, selling my hybrid headlift pit bull with an SV650 pin in Seattle, $100 to a goon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=75#post476097759

• Locked thread