Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

ranathari posted:

Kneel on the left side of the bike, look inside the triangle just before the vertical section of the frame. Should see a small black knob pointing outwards and backwards with a slot in the top, which is the idle adjuster. Get the engine warm then turn it off, adjust the idle speed with a screwdriver and turn it back on.

Edit: couldn't find a single photo of the left hand side of an SV but it's this area of the bike on the left hand side.

Here you go. I think this is what you're getting at:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Captain Apollo posted:

Cool. Is that black screw cased in a plastic housing? I didn't think it would be that one because its so easily flexible. I'll give her a try later.

After running around for an hour today, stalling at low rpms, I tried to start her up after about a 3 hour rest.

She barely starts, after a couple unsuccessful tries. Then when she does start and I try to put her in first, the engine grabs and the clutch seems to engage even though I'm holding it all the way down. Then it stalls out completely.

I'm kinda hoping I didn't get really screwed on this bike. I'm sure I just need to clean the carbs or blah blah blah but I'd really just like to start riding.

Minor projects are awesome, but only when I know what to do/how to figure it out! :D

Can anybody help me diagnose my bike?

So you were able to ride it around just fine for a few hours? It sounds like your battery is screwed up. Before you go tearing into the carbs I would have the battery tested. Carbs are usually a work or don't work situation.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
well I got the idle up to par. Now I have a new set of problems.

Sometimes when I start the bike and put it In gear, the gears grind when putting it in first and will sometimes jp or stall the bike. I'll be holding the clutch IN the hole time. When I shut off the bike should I put it in neutral before I hit the killswitch? I seem to think my clutch isnt fully engaging.

Randomly the bike will sometimes rev to 8000 rpm even when Im completely off the throttle. I ran a stop sign because the bike all of a sudden hit 8000 rpm in first gear. Rolling on he throttle and letting off cures it but it's still scary.

And finally, sometimes the engine towards the front of the bike makes a loud pop. Can happen once or twice every minute or so and then doesn't happen until maybe the next time I run the bike.

What's up with my haunted sv?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
and yes I'm able to faithfully start it in the cold using choke. I seem to think the idle screw was set to 0 or something and prevented faithful starts.

Or I could just be a newb and I love this thread!

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
I don't know, but after reading this I am so glad my SV only has a leaky fork seal.

MuffinMan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 3, 2008

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
LOL I have a leaky fork seal too

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I have a GS500 I have ridden for a few months and it has a host of problems I really dont feel like fixing anymore. I feel very comfortable (confident) riding it. Would an SV650 be an ok step up or am I going to feel like I have too much power for someone who has only been riding since august?

The 650 is awesome, don't give me an answer I don't want to hear :(

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I say go ahead, people ride the 650 as a first bike, remember though, the 650 has more horsepower and torque and it weighs less. Don't hop on and forget what bike you are riding.

npn
Mar 7, 2006

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I have a GS500 I have ridden for a few months and it has a host of problems I really dont feel like fixing anymore. I feel very comfortable (confident) riding it. Would an SV650 be an ok step up or am I going to feel like I have too much power for someone who has only been riding since august?

I made the exactly the same transition a few weeks ago (started riding in August and have a broken GS too...) and, given you're reasonably confident in your abilities, would have no trouble recommending it. I find the SV easier to ride than the GS both from a handling and throttle control point of view but as TheFonz said you do need to remember that you're riding something with more horsepower, more torque and more pronounced engine braking. There's been a few interesting moments when I've momentarily forgotten these things.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I went from putting 300 miles on an EX250 to an SV650 as a daily and I didn't have any issues. You just need to be aware of what trouble you can get yourself into and have some personal restraint.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Don't forget that both the carb and the FI models of the SV can be restricted to 33hp if you're really not sure you can handle the full 70hp. 33 is still good for 100mph and you'll be faster off the line that any car on the road outside of proper performance ones.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ranathari posted:

Don't forget that both the carb and the FI models of the SV can be restricted to 33hp if you're really not sure you can handle the full 70hp. 33 is still good for 100mph and you'll be faster off the line that any car on the road outside of proper performance ones.

What are you talking about, pulling plugs to run a thumper?

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

ranathari posted:

Don't forget that both the carb and the FI models of the SV can be restricted to 33hp if you're really not sure you can handle the full 70hp.
Just out of curiosity, how do these restrictor kits work?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Spiffness posted:

What are you talking about, pulling plugs to run a thumper?

There are restrictor kits that limit power so the SV can be ridden by people with restricted licenses (in other countries, the US doesn't give a poo poo).

Edit: They work by modifying the ECU or ignition circuit of the bike, apparently. [source]

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah, the more you know...

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
For the FI models, it's just a replacement ECU you drop in. Carbs are slightly trickier - you can either put new slides in that have a small hole to reduce power or you can put some washers under the carbs to restrict the airflow.

I have different slides in mine because it's a requirement of my licence in the UK, although I take great pleasure in completely ignoring that when I ride bikes in other countries (or even in the UK). The restriction ends next August but I think I might just put the originals back in when my next major service happens because there's no way the police are ever going to find out.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

MuffinMan posted:

I don't know, but after reading this I am so glad my SV only has a leaky fork seal.

Captain Apollo posted:

LOL I have a leaky fork seal too

Sup, leaky fork sv buddies. Is blown fork seals a common things for the SV? I don't think any of my other bikes have ever had seal issues. I really don't feel like disassembling my stupid front end to fix this.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

Sup, leaky fork sv buddies. Is blown fork seals a common things for the SV? I don't think any of my other bikes have ever had seal issues. I really don't feel like disassembling my stupid front end to fix this.

Mine never leaked in all of their 10000 miles. Seems like a good excuse to put in springs/oil and/or cartridge emulators.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
decided tonight I'm running on one cylinder! Then the other one kicks in and that's when I soil my pants.

I always wondered why people made a big deal about 70hp. Now I'm afraid to run on 2 cylinders!!!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
What's the disadvantage of having that much horsepower on a bike?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

What's the disadvantage of having that much horsepower on a bike?

It makes it easier to turn a slip of the wrist into sliding on the pavement.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think as long as the bike is consistent then I won't be afraid. Howwcer when I get used to the bike a certain way, and then all of a sudden I get a burst of speed, it throws me off guard.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I think that has to do with the Throttle Retardant on certain SV bikes. I plan to install a Retarder Eliminator today or tomorrow.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

decided tonight I'm running on one cylinder! Then the other one kicks in and that's when I soil my pants.

I always wondered why people made a big deal about 70hp. Now I'm afraid to run on 2 cylinders!!!

I've had the same thing happen to me one night while riding in the rain. I guess water leaks in the front spark plug hole and as a result the plug won't fire. You're definitely right about the surge in power once that second cylinder starts firing again. Mine cut out on me several times that night and every time it did, I was afraid of it kicking back in and breaking traction from the power surge.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jack the Smack posted:

I think that has to do with the Throttle Retardant on certain SV bikes. I plan to install a Retarder Eliminator today or tomorrow.

That only cuts horsepower a bit in first and second gear I believe, and even then it's not a massive difference.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Wouldn't a retard eliminator just be some burly dude kicking JTS off of his bike? :iiam:

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

waptang posted:

I've had the same thing happen to me one night while riding in the rain. I guess water leaks in the front spark plug hole and as a result the plug won't fire. You're definitely right about the surge in power once that second cylinder starts firing again. Mine cut out on me several times that night and every time it did, I was afraid of it kicking back in and breaking traction from the power surge.

Get a Fenda Extenda to stop spray from the front wheel soaking the spark plug. When you change the plug next time, coat it heavily with grease when you put it back in to help repel water.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Simkin posted:

Wouldn't a retard eliminator just be some burly dude kicking JTS off of his bike? :iiam:
Thank you for this.

Also I think it's pre-2006, might be pre-2007 SVs had issues with the spark plugs getting wet and shutting off. My 2007 has 2 plugs per cylinder which I'm pretty sure is unique to 2007+ bikes. I think around 06 is when they started protecting the plugs from water a bit better out of the factory, before that it was common for people to buy a bit of extra protection or rig something up to keep water off the front plug which in heavy rain was prone to giving out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Thank you for this.

Also I think it's pre-2006, might be pre-2007 SVs had issues with the spark plugs getting wet and shutting off. My 2007 has 2 plugs per cylinder which I'm pretty sure is unique to 2007+ bikes. I think around 06 is when they started protecting the plugs from water a bit better out of the factory, before that it was common for people to buy a bit of extra protection or rig something up to keep water off the front plug which in heavy rain was prone to giving out.

It is pre-2006. 2007 got the kickass dual plug head.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with mine cutting out in rain, but I've only ridden through a few torrential downpours. I just always made sure the spark plug top sealed well.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

yummycheese posted:

I have an 06 sv650s

Ive crashed twice on it and it sure does crash well. Guy before me dropped it twice. It was the 4th time that it was crashed that really busted it up. Before then it was just a few minor scrapes.

Even now all I did was take the front headlamp fairing off and put a headlamp off a quad on it.

Here is a picture of it now (my personal hosting)

Just this last week I put new sonic springs and oil in the front. A zx10r shock in the back and a lightly used set of power pilots on front and rear. It really is a different bike now.

Any goons in phoenix az wanna ride?

Hey man - did your bike have that little mini-windscreen on it? like in the pic here? http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005-Suzuki-SV650.jpg

I'm looking to buy one...

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

It is pre-2006. 2007 got the kickass dual plug head.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with mine cutting out in rain, but I've only ridden through a few torrential downpours. I just always made sure the spark plug top sealed well.

Didn't that portable43021897439824 dude have a bunch of problems with his? He hasn't posted in a while

Simkin posted:

:respek:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Simkin posted:

Borat: Very nice.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
So my '99 didn't start today. Engine isn't really turning, I think my battery died? When press the ignition button, everything just goes out and nothing happens.
I want to push start it, but I keep getting horrifying images of flipping over and dying instantly. Is there anything I should know? What I get from it is that there's going to be some skidding involved. Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it really is?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Atomic Hotdog posted:

So my '99 didn't start today. Engine isn't really turning, I think my battery died? When press the ignition button, everything just goes out and nothing happens.
I want to push start it, but I keep getting horrifying images of flipping over and dying instantly. Is there anything I should know? What I get from it is that there's going to be some skidding involved. Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it really is?

I don't know about the specifics of a SV650, but push starting isn't too scary. I'm lucky to live at the top of the road, it slopes down to the end so whenever my recalcitrant beast doesn't start, I just roll it down the road. Basically, just make sure you're in second, clutch in and roll the bike up to about 10mph (the speed you need depends on the bike), then let the clutch out. Engine should start, then you want to clutch in so that when you brake, you don't kill the engine.

I can never remember which bikes are easier to bump start and which are more challenging. I know it's something to do with displacement, compression and type of engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Orange Someone posted:

I can never remember which bikes are easier to bump start and which are more challenging. I know it's something to do with displacement, compression and type of engine.

Bigger cylinders with higher compression are harder to start. Rule of thumb could be: bikes with a lot of engine braking are harder to start.

Atomic, it's not a big deal. Just get it rolling, kick it into second, and drop the clutch. Don't let it out, drop it. The bike will skid for a second (you'll hardly notice it) and then cough to life. Quickly pull in the clutch and you're good to go.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Atomic Hotdog posted:

push starting SV's sucks, you really need a hill, or better yet, a battery charger.
My sv fried its rectifier, burned up the wires in the section between the stator and the regulator somehow, have repaired the wiring and the resistance and output of the stator are in spec so that's a relief.
the replacement R/R i got of my old gsxr 400 doesnt seem to pass the diode tests but i think it may be my multimeter, if its shot two i luckily have one off another gsxr400 and my old bandit 250 available. good old Suzuki parts bin bikes

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've got a stock one from a gen one if that's what you have, if you'd like to go the easy way about things. Send me a PM or e-mail if you want it. :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Got the sv325 running on two cylinders again!

However now it only has one problem.

When riding around for a bit, choke off of course, I come to a complete stop at the stop sign. Even when I stop at the light for 10-20 seconds the idle speed of the bike is still 3000 rpm. It takes it a very long time for it to work itself down from there. But once it starts to drop it immediately drops to around 1,200rpm.

Is this normal?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Me and my sv :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Before I pulled the trigger on some parts I wanted to get an CA opinion. As I mentioned a few weeks ago a buddy of mine rear ended my bike into ZOOL and then low sided.

To get road legal again, I need signals and a new rearset. There will be a lot of things I replace just to bring the bike back to the state I want it in, but I have to start there.

I'm looking at these signals Rumble Flushmount LED's - I don't suspect much in the way of issues around these guys.

And these rearsets ValterMoto Type 3. For the rearset, can anyone make any comments on installation or comfort? I think thats what I'm going to pull the trigger on.

Then I just need to decide what I want to do about my plastics. Good condition still, but got a bit of rash. To repaint, or replace.

• Locked thread