Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I can probably find you a new set of vortex rearsets for cheaper than that. If you're interested, hit me up via e-mail or PM. Less well known brands tend to be a little difficult to source parts for.

Also, LEDs don't draw as much current as normal bulbs, so if you're going with LEDs just in the front, count on a blink rate that's around twice as fast. If you go all around, you need a flash rate controller, or they'll pulse rapidly rather than blink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks for the info Z3n, I guess i'm just looking to clean things up a bit, since the stockers have always been a bit of an eye sore. Looking for the brightest pair of flushmounts I can find.

PM inbound.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Oh my, whats this?

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Yay, my rear hugger has arrived, from Germany of all places.

Took off the wheel to get in there and clean out the gunk before i fitted the hugger. It was easier to line up the hugger this way too.

Out dammed spot! Ahh, much cleaner.

A bit of kerosene and the rear wheel is nice and clean too.

Hugger drilled, sanded and cleaned awaiting paint.

Painted in gloss black, but with the light sanding has a nice satin finish.

Fit perfectly, i had head there was problems with the OEM huggers fitting the K8 models due to the ABS. But everything lines up fine, there is around 4mm clearance on the right and maybe 2mm on the left. After taking it for a blat it doesn't look like it moves or rubs on the tire.

YAY! Well that's my Christmas present to myself...

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 13, 2008

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well I'm on the same page with spiffness here.

I'm trying to completely replace my turn signal lights. Front and back. I have a first gen sv650s. Can anybody point me in the right direction of what will work/be easy?

The look of the light itself is secondary to getting new ones and having them fit properly.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/16420?mg=6803&t=1&td=1

or

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=MRX_LAT1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170265087210&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=#ebayphotohosting

What do I do :(

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 13, 2008

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Tentacle Party posted:

YAY!

Holy poo poo that's cool

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170265087210&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=#ebayphotohosting

I saw these while I was looking for flushmounts for mine, and by chance I ran across a CBR that had what I think were the same ones installed. I roughly measured against my bike, and I'm almost certain you'll have to drill into the fairing to mount these with screws. Why doesn't anyone make flushmounts specifically for the first gen?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
yuck. I keep reading and searching svrider for ideas. What have you ended up doing zenaida or are you still in the hunt?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

yuck. I keep reading and searching svrider for ideas. What have you ended up doing zenaida or are you still in the hunt?

I epoxied my right signal back together for the third time the other day. I'm currently in the process of trying to forget about it again. :P

e: I did see some LED ones on SVRider a while back that were supposed to be a good fit for the 1st gen, but I haven't been able to find them again.

e2: This thread has some that look like they'd be a good fit. The guy doesn't know what they are though.

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 14, 2008

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
seems christmas came early this year :shobon:

Leo Vince SBK for those wondering

it's already installed and i'm loving it.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I went to cyclegear and bought these:

I'll probably install them on Saturday.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zenaida posted:

Please let us know how they work out. I think thats the set I'm looking to get.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Please let us know how they work out. I think thats the set I'm looking to get.

Sure thing, I'll try to remember to actually take some photos this time. I'm pretty concerned about visibility with these, so I'll be testing that out as thoroughly as I can as well.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
This is my 07 with ABS. I had to spend a fair amount of time and money to get it set up the way I wanted and fitting me properly but god I love this bike.

Click here for the full 1512x1455 image.

Click here for the full 1858x1289 image.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

MourningGlory posted:

This is my 07 with ABS. I had to spend a fair amount of time and money to get it set up the way I wanted and fitting me properly but god I love this bike.

Click here for the full 1512x1455 image.

Click here for the full 1858x1289 image.

What all did you do to it? The rearsets look pretty stock, what do you mean by "fitting me properly"? Lowering links?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Zenaida posted:

Sure thing, I'll try to remember to actually take some photos this time. I'm pretty concerned about visibility with these, so I'll be testing that out as thoroughly as I can as well.

I can't tell you how interested I am in you doing this, posting pictures, and then me following your guide step by step :D

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Zenaida posted:

What all did you do to it? The rearsets look pretty stock, what do you mean by "fitting me properly"? Lowering links?

Hmmm, there seems to be remote reservoir for the rear shock... maybe its all suspension setup?

Looks good though, not sure about the graveyard photo shoot though :(

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Zenaida posted:

I'm 5'9" with a fairly short inseam and fully geared up, I weigh close to 300 pounds. Obviously for someone as heavy as I am, in factory form the bike was profoundly undersprung and underdamped. I also had a hard time flatfooting the bike under certain conditions.

The front fork has Sonic Springs and 20w oil in it and the rear shock is a Penske double clicker (thus the remote reservoir). That took care of the ridiculous wallowing and pogoing, but then I really couldn't flatfoot the bike at all. So I spent a day carving down the seat foam and then had the whole thing recovered at an upholstery shop. I've also tweeked the position of the levers, the shifter and rear brake pedal.

So I guess I haven't really done all that much. It just feels like it to me :)

Tentacle Party posted:

Looks good though, not sure about the graveyard photo shoot though
Yeah, that's kind of a crappy pic, but it was one of the few I have of the bike at the moment. As for the cemetary in the background, it's actually a very pleasant place. I stop there all the time.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Zenaida posted:

Didn't work. They don't cover the stock hole, and the bolt part on the back is not long enough for the nut to attach to. I wound up putting on some small (non-flush) Lockhart Phillips signals instead. :( I took a bunch of photos though, if you guys want to see a full writeup.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
i do! I don't know how to take my lights off.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

i do! I don't know how to take my lights off.

It's pretty straightforward. You take off the side fairing (Four allen bolts, one screw, one plastic pop-rivet, and that tab that sticks into the rubber bushing on the radiator mount) Unhook the wire going to the signal (Lift UP on the tab on the connnector). Once you've got the side fairing free, unscrew the two screws that hold the metal plate onto the fairing, it's sort of egg-shaped with two little square tabs. Then you gotta kind of shove the rubber part of the signal out through the hole.

I'll try to post a couple photos when I get home tonight. The hardest part is getting the rubber stalk through the hole, you gotta kind of fold it up by the tabs over the screw holes and push and prod it until you get it to slide off the lip that holds it.

Take these two screws off:

and jam that rubber piece through the hole:

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 23, 2008

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Stop editing! I go 5 days without seeing a new post, then I come back by and everybody has added pictures with an edit :(

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Hey, on my SV 1000 bike is a rear passenger rail. Is there any way to remove it? I physically can remove it, but it has a lip for the passenger seat to be secured and without it the seat jiggles all around. Here is a picture getting the basic idea of what I want:

I tried to do a search online but couldn't find any after market parts that will eliminate it, nor would I want to do metal working since it would look ugly.

And on the question of safety, none of my passengers ever use that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I find it to be useful as poo poo when I'm loading the bike on and unloading the bike off my rearstand.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

TheFonz posted:

I find it to be useful as poo poo when I'm loading the bike on and unloading the bike off my rearstand.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm not gonna remove it now, thanks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheFonz posted:

They're also handy points for tying down luggage.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

the mono tail price includes a replacement that gets rid of the bar. I've been running without for about a year and haven't missed it. I think it cleans it up a bit.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
This is why the curvy is superior! Just unbolt it and away you go or put in a pair of blanking plates if the barely noticeable holes bother you.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Nevermind, I found the metal piece that fits in this box full of parts the original owner gave me.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Blue 06 SV-S, reporting for duty! It's got assorted bits of cosmetic damage and is long overdue for tires and maintenance but it's still running like the day I bought it. Now that I've got a job again, I can take it to the shop and get that all squared away before something critical breaks and kills me. After that, it's time to pop on the frame sliders and take it to the track.

Also, the SV love in this thread will surely stop me from buying the sexy, sexy, Ducati 999 I keep oogling.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, the SV love in this thread will surely stop me from buying the sexy, sexy, Ducati 999 I keep oogling.

Yeah, I bet...

Even these pretty ladies are convinced that you will eventually cave in and buy a Duck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nope, sorry, it won't. :v: I'm pretty sure the 999 is the dark mistress of most SV riders. :xd:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Z3n posted:

Nope, sorry, it won't. :v: I'm pretty sure the 999 is the dark mistress of most SV riders. :xd:
You're doing it wrong!

Simkin posted:

Even these pretty ladies are convinced that you will eventually cave in and buy a Duck.

YOU'RE DOING IT EVEN WRONGER! I'm very easily influenced by the internet and I'd rather you all just validate my decisions unquestioningly.

The same place that has the 999 has that Xerox bike there as well. 40k for a car isn't that fancy, but there's something about seeing a forty-thousand dollar price tag on a bike that just seemed... utterly mad. I'd never buy a $40k bike for the same reason that I'd never buy a $100 pair of sunglasses. When your $10 sunglasses end up at the bottom of the harbor, you can laugh about it. When your $100 sunglasses end up in the same place, it's not so funny.

edit: Actually, those chicks ain't that fly. I was too busy gawking at the bike to notice at first. Then again, I tend towards practicality and I think that bike is probably the lowest-maintenance thing in that picture.

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 3, 2009

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

edit: Actually, those chicks ain't that fly. I was too busy gawking at the bike to notice at first. Then again, I tend towards practicality and I think that bike is probably the lowest-maintenance thing in that picture.

Nah, I think the chick on the left is probably the lowest maintenance thing in the photo. :P

my SV650 got a new battery today, it's happier starting for me in the mornings now. the last 2 weeks have been bad times to live in Seattle and have your motorcycle be your sole transportation.

Keanu Reeves
Jan 2, 2009

by Fragmaster
Nothing like trying to ride a sportbike in the snow on seattle streets :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The same place that has the 999 has that Xerox bike there as well. 40k for a car isn't that fancy, but there's something about seeing a forty-thousand dollar price tag on a bike that just seemed... utterly mad. I'd never buy a $40k bike for the same reason that I'd never buy a $100 pair of sunglasses. When your $10 sunglasses end up at the bottom of the harbor, you can laugh about it. When your $100 sunglasses end up in the same place, it's not so funny.

If it's 40k, they're either nuts, or that's a 999R, with the absurdly built racing spec engine. I'd gamble on the second. It still "only" makes like, 150hp, but they won a lot of championships with it.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Riding to work in a Seattle Winter? You guys are dedicated. I start getting second thoughts about riding to work if it's less than 50.

Z3n posted:

If it's 40k, they're either nuts, or that's a 999R, with the absurdly built racing spec engine. I'd gamble on the second. It still "only" makes like, 150hp, but they won a lot of championships with it.
They're two separate bikes; the 999 I want is only 10k. I didn't bother to look at the specs on the Xerox bike but the place is pretty legit so I assumed it was this. If I was inclined to buy it, I'd drat sure make sure it wasn't a clay replica with a funky-fresh bodykit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Riding to work in a Seattle Winter? You guys are dedicated. I start getting second thoughts about riding to work if it's less than 50.

They're two separate bikes; the 999 I want is only 10k. I didn't bother to look at the specs on the Xerox bike but the place is pretty legit so I assumed it was this. If I was inclined to buy it, I'd drat sure make sure it wasn't a clay replica with a funky-fresh bodykit.

Heated grips and gear go a long ways towards making cold trips on the bike more livable.

And yeah, the 999R is pretty loving absurd. One day I'll have a track rat 999...although I'd debate turning it into a streetfighter with huge rear end bars on it, just to gently caress with people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm going to be starting to ride in the very near future, and it seems the general consensus is that these are good to start on, and I like the way the naked ones look. Is this accurate or am I going to kill myself? Note I'm a big person at 6'1" 250.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
It is not a consensus, but I don't think it's a bad first bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I'm going to be starting to ride in the very near future, and it seems the general consensus is that these are good to start on, and I like the way the naked ones look. Is this accurate or am I going to kill myself? Note I'm a big person at 6'1" 250.

Depends on how restrained you are with the throttle and such. It can still pitch you off, it's the top of the power range for a new rider, but it's a bike that you won't grow out of, as well. So...if you're inclined to be safer over more aggressive, it should be fine. If you've got good instruction and good instincts, you'll be fine. If you've got previous dirt experience, that'll help a lot.

But it can still bite, hard, if you gently caress it up. It'll do 0-60 in a little under 4 seconds, and has all the cornering performance you should want on the streets...so, it's a bike to be respected.

• Locked thread