Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My sv650 is my first bike. I honestly can't imagine starting on anything else. God I love it.

I'd recommend the MSF course and THEN the sv650 :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Captain Apollo posted:

My sv650 is my first bike.
This, and...

Captain Apollo posted:

I'd recommend the MSF course and THEN the sv650 :D
this. I bought the SV because I'd heard it was a good learner bike. I hear a lot about being well-balanced and not overly-powerful, plus it's fuel injected so you don't have to worry about cold starts or screwing with the choke, so it's got one less thing to gently caress up.

Also, I recommend you just push it the hell over as soon as you get it. No use worrying about when it's going to get it's first scratch. Seriously, though - I'd had mine for something like two days before losing my balance backing out of a parking space and setting it down. I don't think anyone's first bike stays pretty long; the scratches are like fingerprints - that's how you can tell which one is yours.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

or just let your buddies ride it. Betweeen rear end in a top hat UPS drivers and the back of Zools kawi, they are sure to scuff it for you.

To make it up to my SV I had to go big for Christmas, parts arrive this week and I can't wait. Now if the snow will gently caress on off all will be good

Keanu Reeves
Jan 2, 2009

by Fragmaster

Spiffness posted:

rear end in a top hat UPS drivers

I'm so sorry <=(

Also zool and I rode today and it went from dry to blizzard in 2 minutes. gently caress Seattle.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, I recommend you just push it the hell over as soon as you get it. No use worrying about when it's going to get it's first scratch.
I agree that some damage is probably inevitable, but frame sliders go a long way toward preventing serious damage. My new at the time SVS rolled off its kickstand in my driveway about a month after I got it. I already had Motosliders on it, and I only suffered a shattered turn signal, broken clutch lever and broken shifter nub. None of the plastic or frame touched the pavement. The sliders paid for themselves probably 5 times over in one drop. It would have been far, far worse without them.

I really don't understand why everyone doesn't install them immediately after buying a bike (or why bikes don't come with them from the factory).

EDIT: Also, this is my first bike. You could definitely get yourself in trouble with it, but I felt like it was a good choice for me. However, I'm in my mid 30's, I spent a lot of time on ATV's as a kid, I'm naturally very cautious and I took the MSF and read a few books prior to buying it. The only thing that bothered me at all was the twitchy throttle response at low rpm, but that seems to have gone away after I adjusted the TPS.

MourningGlory fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 7, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, I recommend you just push it the hell over as soon as you get it. No use worrying about when it's going to get it's first scratch. Seriously, though - I'd had mine for something like two days before losing my balance backing out of a parking space and setting it down. I don't think anyone's first bike stays pretty long; the scratches are like fingerprints - that's how you can tell which one is yours.

Mine was purchased in 2005 by the original owner, had it for 2 months so far, and not a single scratch.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Jack the Smack posted:

Mine was purchased in 2005 by the original owner, had it for 2 months so far, and not a single scratch.

Hey this is a new sub-forum. I bought my SV march of 07. The awesome 07 sv650s model.

I've put about 10k miles on it, all commuting. This year I am shipping off to basic for USAF on april 21st. I'd really like to drive up to the dragon and meet some goons early spring if it's warm enough. It'll likely be one of the last times I get to ride my bike for the following year due to a 12 month tech school.

I still need to do some mods to it. I had to put 2600 bucks last year fixing it from a wreck. But while that happened I went ahead and got pazzo levers and watsen leds since I got a great deal. My goal this year is to get a new exhaust, get rid of that bulky undertail and a new windscreen that works.

Right now it's my only vehicle.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

edit: this was never here

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 6, 2009

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hrm! I want to email because I like to win, but I don't know what a lowering link does. :|

Help me motorcycling internet!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Captain Apollo posted:

Hrm! I want to email because I like to win, but I don't know what a lowering link does. :|

Help me motorcycling internet!

Lowering links lower the back end of the bike, for more easy flatfooting.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

djfooboo posted:

First person who emails me djfooboo at yahoo dot com gets a free set of Vortex lowering links (LL544), just pay shipping.

Are they bike specific?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Simkin posted:

Are they bike specific?

On the package it says SV650 03-05/GSXR600 97-00/GSXR750 96-99, but on the website there are more.

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?
So far I've put over 7000 on my commuter SVS with no problems whatsoever. Recently though, I noticed a power hitch on the freeway; it surged a bit, then seemed to smooth out. Guess it's time to check that front cylinder for moisture (it stays outside 24/7)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What year is it?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Hay guys. Almost up to 6000k's on the 08 SV, I will probably put her in for a service in the next two weeks and I'll raise it with them, but i wanted to know if anyone else notices this. When i am riding, and the engine is at or passes 4500rpm the bike has a rattle in it. Its feels and sounds like its just the resonant frequency of the engine, maybe something that just comes about once the engine wears in?

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?

Captain Apollo posted:

What year is it?

2005, I'm going to Seafoam it this weekend too.

Tentacle Party posted:

Hay guys. Almost up to 6000k's on the 08 SV, I will probably put her in for a service in the next two weeks and I'll raise it with them, but i wanted to know if anyone else notices this. When i am riding, and the engine is at or passes 4500rpm the bike has a rattle in it. Its feels and sounds like its just the resonant frequency of the engine, maybe something that just comes about once the engine wears in?

Mine kinda does that too. Is it really bad, like heavy vibration bad?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

CompulsiveGamer posted:

Mine kinda does that too. Is it really bad, like heavy vibration bad?

No, there isn't any real vibration to it. The engine noise just changes, from within the case, it sounds more hollow but as soon as it goes past 5000rpm its gone. I'm putting it down to just part of my bike character.

civvy
Aug 12, 2004

The lyric sheet's so hard to find... what are the words? Oh never mind.
Got my SV (2001) the other day, and am loving it so far, despite the British weather :D

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Wow nice! Looks like it's in really good shape body wise!

How many HP's do the stickers add?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

CompulsiveGamer posted:

So far I've put over 7000 on my commuter SVS with no problems whatsoever. Recently though, I noticed a power hitch on the freeway; it surged a bit, then seemed to smooth out. Guess it's time to check that front cylinder for moisture (it stays outside 24/7)

Check your chain slack and look for frozen links as well.

I bought my 02 SV for $1700 about a year and a half ago. Salvage title, apparently from being dropped and the odo resetting. Certainly the bike wasnt totaled, as its parts are all stock.

I bought about $600 worth of parts (leaky fork seals!) to fix it up. Since then I've had to put literally zero money into it, and it has run like a champ. Scorpion exhaust and Racetech valve emulators.

I'm thinking I'd like to replace some plastics, and do a front end swap. Might tackle the valves when I get a day off too.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
This is ridiculous.

I need to find replacement mirrors for my 2001 sv650s. I can't seem to find replacements anywhere. I've looked for OEM and aftermarket but can't find anything predating the second generation model.

Can anybody help me out on this one? Ebay has proved to be useless.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

This is ridiculous.

I need to find replacement mirrors for my 2001 sv650s. I can't seem to find replacements anywhere. I've looked for OEM and aftermarket but can't find anything predating the second generation model.

Looks like this is what you want: http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/mirror-sv650s-sv650-1999-06.html

I've ordered stuff from them in the past with no problems.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Captain Apollo posted:

This is ridiculous.

Check svrider.com's parts for sale section. They're up there quite a bit.

InfiniteNoodles
Jul 9, 2008

Tentacle Party posted:

Yes, this started happening to my SVS (an 05) at around 8000 miles. It's fairly unobtrusive, but the engine noise just subtly changed around then and took on a slight rattling noise. It's not really noticeable unless you know what the bike used to sound like.

I took it in for a tune-up/inspection and asked them to check out the noise. They didn't find anything wrong and I've been riding it for a while since then with no problem. I think it's safe to say that it's probably just a normal change in engine noise from wear-in.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

civvy posted:

Got my SV (2001) the other day, and am loving it so far, despite the British weather :D

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

If you're new to SVs, go check out the forum at https://www.sv650.org - plenty of SV riders across the UK and there's always ride-outs and meet-ups in the regional sections. Also, well done on getting the only true SV and not falling into the trap of buying one of those ugly pointy ones.

civvy
Aug 12, 2004

The lyric sheet's so hard to find... what are the words? Oh never mind.

Captain Apollo posted:

Wow nice! Looks like it's in really good shape body wise!

How many HP's do the stickers add?

I was thinking about drilling some speed holes to really compliment them ;)

ranathari posted:

If you're new to SVs, go check out the forum at https://www.sv650.org - plenty of SV riders across the UK and there's always ride-outs and meet-ups in the regional sections. Also, well done on getting the only true SV and not falling into the trap of buying one of those ugly pointy ones.

Cheers, joined up there the other day after being pointed that way by a fellow SV rider I met in the middle of London traffic on the way to the MCN bike show (he knew the way better than we did :D)

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
How hard is it to restrict the sv650 to 33hp for beginning use?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Christobevii3 posted:

Very easy. Just don't throttle it too hard.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Christobevii3 posted:

if its the curvy then its two washers between the carbs and the engine, if its the pointy then you need a 33bhp ecu

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It is a 2004, so would that probably be an ecu one? Where can I buy that ecu then?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Christobevii3 posted:

It is a 2004, so would that probably be an ecu one? Where can I buy that ecu then?

do you legally have to restrict it? if you don't then don't bother, as retarded as jack the smack is, what he said is basically true. the restriction only affects top end power, makes top speed 100 instead of 130ish. it will not makes the bike magically easier to ride.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Well from watching youtube videos i've seen quit a few people accidentally grab the throttle full out before they wreck as a knee jerk reaction. My gf isn't use to driving a manual anything so just thinking as a safety thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Well from watching youtube videos i've seen quit a few people accidentally grab the throttle full out before they wreck as a knee jerk reaction. My gf isn't use to driving a manual anything so just thinking as a safety thing.

No, people are just idiots. Is your g/f an idiot? If she's not, she won't have a problem.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Christobevii3 posted:

I agree that the best thing is just to teach your girlfriend how to ride properly, but if you're really worried about her grabbing full throttle accidentally, I think the easiest thing to do would just be to put some sort of spacer on the pulley stop at the throttle body so that it can't go wide open. That way it still responds normally at partial throttle, but she can't give it 100%.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

echomadman posted:

do you legally have to restrict it? if you don't then don't bother, as retarded as jack the smack is, what he said is basically true. the restriction only affects top end power, makes top speed 100 instead of 130ish. it will not makes the bike magically easier to ride.

Mine's restricted thanks to the 2-year law in the UK and I can report it does make a difference to low down power too. I can't keep up with a de-restricted SV when accelerating from a standstill; I tried out my friend's bike after that and there was definitely a difference in response for a given throttle opening that was greater than you'd expect just between two bikes.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I just looked up UK law and now I know why people are restricting their bikes and such, I thought people were just scared of getting a too powerful bike.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I think the law's a great idea because it does stop a lot of idiots from doing their test and jumping straight on a litrebike but it's not perfect. The worst riders I've known generally tend to do DAS, which lets them jump on a litrebike right after a 3-day course with no previous riding experience and I do think that needs to change. Having spent the last year and a half on a 33hp SV with two years on a CBR125 before that, it's taught me a lot about the process of riding so when I step up to a more powerful bike, there's less I've got to get used to.

I wonder what would happen to fatality rates in the US if a similar law existed?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ranathari posted:

I think the law's a great idea because it does stop a lot of idiots from doing their test and jumping straight on a litrebike but it's not perfect. The worst riders I've known generally tend to do DAS, which lets them jump on a litrebike right after a 3-day course with no previous riding experience and I do think that needs to change. Having spent the last year and a half on a 33hp SV with two years on a CBR125 before that, it's taught me a lot about the process of riding so when I step up to a more powerful bike, there's less I've got to get used to.

I wonder what would happen to fatality rates in the US if a similar law existed?

Is there a correlation between ccs and fatality rates in any published studies? I know sport bikes in general have higher fatality rates per vehicle.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Is there a correlation between ccs and fatality rates in any published studies? I know sport bikes in general have higher fatality rates per vehicle.

Yes, higher displacement bikes are found to be underrepresented in accidents, but injury severity is higher.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

ranathari posted:

I rode my 125 for 18 months and about 2000-2500 miles before I took my full test (DAS). I took that poor bike all over the country, and did many long days on her. But driving that long with such a small bike definitely gave me a huge amount of confidence in both my abilities and how far I could push the bike because it was so forgiveable and it was almost impossible to get into a situation that I couldn't get out of.

Every time you hear of modifications to the bike testing process, I have a friend who swears that they're getting rid of the DAS course, and that they should have done it ages ago. I don't think it's the DAS that's the problem, although it does cause problems, particularly in the instance of someone with no prior experience coming in, doing the course and then walking away with the legal right to ride a litrebike (I deliberately didn't use the term 'ability').

But the SV650 is so drat popular over here because if you are limited to a certain amount of hp, it's nice to have a) something that doesn't have to have it's guts revved out every time you want to use those 33 puny horses, and b) something with a little bit more torque than your normal I4. There's also the fact that they're stupidly easy to restrict and thus derestrict. So you don't have to get used to a whole new bike when you finally get past your 2 years of riding and aren't restricted anymore.

• Locked thread