Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well I am the proud owner of an award winning 2001 SV650s. You may be asking yourself, how is the bike with one mirror and one turn signal an award winner? Well, those issues are small potatoes.

BEHOLD! Pictures from the bike show! ( all taken from iphone! )

http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/badass.JPG
[url]http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize[busar.jpg[/url]
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/chopperr.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/clutchr.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/harleytriker.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/ledr.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/mosthatedr.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/pink1r.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/pinkr.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/rearfenderr.jpg
http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshowresize/twotrophiesr.jpg

http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/bikeshow for bigger pics

pics linked for better thread viewing

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
What award did you win? Most common commuter bike?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm the only SV within 400 miles of here :)

I got the award for the Bike that Leaned Over the Most ;)

(okay not really, our club went and we got club awards, I'm posing with those ;) )

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I like the billetbullet clutch lever.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Invest in a Dremel and polish that horrible downpipe.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
My '99 has a bit of trouble going on with it's brake lever. It's really loose and allows my brake light to be on when I'm not braking.. I tried tightening the screw/bolt that's on it, but I managed to brake the screw, and now I got two problems! Before it broke, it didn't seem to get any better. Is there a way to adjust this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Atomic Hotdog posted:

My '99 has a bit of trouble going on with it's brake lever. It's really loose and allows my brake light to be on when I'm not braking.. I tried tightening the screw/bolt that's on it, but I managed to brake the screw, and now I got two problems! Before it broke, it didn't seem to get any better. Is there a way to adjust this?

Perch was probably damaged in an accident. I'd bet it's bent somewhere and that's what's allowing the free play. Replace it with an Ebay item? Or a brembo one? :pervert:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Orange Someone posted:

There's also the fact that they're stupidly easy to restrict and thus derestrict.

What stops people from derestricting right after? A giant gently caress-off learner plate that screams "I shouldn't be able to go this fast!!!"?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 9, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Laws for how you modify your bike are retarded here in the US. I finally got a ticket for my illegal pipes, plus a few other marks for turn signals and headlights. Just gave the ticket to a friend who knows a police officer, and he signed it off without looking at my bike.

civvy
Aug 12, 2004

The lyric sheet's so hard to find... what are the words? Oh never mind.

ranathari posted:

I think the law's a great idea because it does stop a lot of idiots from doing their test and jumping straight on a litrebike but it's not perfect. The worst riders I've known generally tend to do DAS, which lets them jump on a litrebike right after a 3-day course with no previous riding experience and I do think that needs to change.

I'd say it should go the other way, if I'm understanding you correctly.

You can do a test in a car at 17, then immediately jump in any car and drive it. You're going to do a lot more damage in the car if something goes wrong. Why should it have to be any different for a bike?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

goku chewbacca posted:

What stops people from derestricting right after? A giant gently caress-off learner plate that screams "I shouldn't be able to go this fast!!!"?

I may be misunderstanding, but derestrict right after when? The current situation is that you can do your full bike riding test on either a 125cc or a (I forget the exact requirements, but it's almost always) 500cc bike. Test is exactly the same for either, but if you pass on the 125, you're restricted to a certain power/weight ratio and to less than 33bhp for 2 years.

If you pass on the 500, sky's the limit (that's what I passed with, and then I bought myself a 400cc bike, clever me) and that's how people jump right onto the litrebikes. But either way, you've still passed your driving test and you're no longer a learner, so you can't (shouldn't/won't ?) wear L-plates.

There's nothing stopping you claiming you've restricted your bike for insurance and legal purposes, but not actually doing so. Or even restricting it, and then removing it. But there must be a way the cops can check, or get someone to check, otherwise it's completely pointless.

*edit*

civvy posted:

You can do a test in a car at 17, then immediately jump in any car and drive it. You're going to do a lot more damage in the car if something goes wrong. Why should it have to be any different for a bike?

Damage? Yes. Damage to whom though? A somewhat serious crash in a car can leave property damaged and a car wrecked, but you're more likely to walk away unscathed in a car than on a bike. Add into that the availability to stupidly fast bikes compared to stupidly fast cars, and I can understand the extra caution for bikers. It is getting stupid though, the changes in March mean that for someone entering into the biking world fresh will have to do 4 seperate tests to get their license. CBT, Theory test, Multi-purpose Test Centre off-road portion, then finally the on-road portion.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 10, 2009

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well back to the sv650s thread!

I bought these today off a referral from an svrider.com poster. He says they're crap at high speeds, but so are my stockers and I just need a replacement set anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/suzu...06153QQtcZphoto

Also bought a set of Vortex Gas Cap and Base.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330305359120&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

Up next are.............

1) New Rear tire (Power Pilots)
2) Zero Gravity or PUIG Double Bubble Wind Screen (opinions??)
3) Fender Eliminator and Tail Lights - Motrax has a good little license plate bracket with holes for turn signals, might grab that for $20
4) New Fork Seals
5) Motosliders

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 11, 2009

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

goku chewbacca posted:

Absolutely nothing. When I got my carbs done last summer, the mechanic asked me if I wanted him to derestrict the bike without telling anyone and, after I thought it over, I declined. If I get in a serious accident there's always the risk that the police or my insurers will inspect the carbs and, if they notice the restriction kit missing, I'm hosed.

civvy posted:

Not many kids have access to high performance cars and can afford to insure them but it's trivial to buy a cheap bike capable of 0-60 in 2 to 3 seconds. Bikes are intrinsically dangerous in a way cars will never be, which is why laws surrounding them are more stringent.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

3) Fender Eliminator and Tail Lights - Motrax has a good little license plate bracket with holes for turn signals, might grab that for $20
4) New Fork Seals
5) Motosliders

Move the motosliders higher up the priority list. A good set of frame sliders could potentially be your very best investment. The difference between sliders/no sliders can be huge in a basic drop or anything worse.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Spiffness posted:

Move the motosliders higher up the priority list. A good set of frame sliders could potentially be your very best investment. The difference between sliders/no sliders can be huge in a basic drop or anything worse.

Listen to this man. My motosliders paid for themselves like 5 times over in just one brief fuckup in my driveway last September.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

4) New Fork Seals
5) Motosliders

Why did you get the Vortex gas cap? Isn't it better to have your tank locked so nobody can siphon gas from you?

Seconding moving Motosliders up the list.

I have a Puig windscreen that the PO put on my bike. I don't really have a basis for comparison, but it does its job fine. It's tinted really dark though, which sucks. It would be nice to be able to put my head down while riding at night to keep the wind of my neck and still be able to see anything.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Zenaida posted:

I have a Puig windscreen that the PO put on my bike. I don't really have a basis for comparison, but it does its job fine. It's tinted really dark though, which sucks. It would be nice to be able to put my head down while riding at night to keep the wind of my neck and still be able to see anything.

I have a "dark smoke" Puig Double Bubble windscreen on my SVS. The quality is a little better than OEM. I don't recall the exact reason now, but I know I intentionally went with Puig over Zero Gravity after doing some research a few months ago. I think maybe I heard of people have problems with the ZG's cracking.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Motosliders should be #1 on all SV! Mine has hit the ground I don't know how many times but I've never had any serious, ie radiator/frame/etc damage. Protects cosmetic stuff to some degree in low and zero speed drops.

I've tried stock, ZG double, and Givi touring screens on my SVS:

Stock: ok, IMO looks the best.
ZG: Little better wind protection. Was stupid and got tinted. Get clear windscreens if you've ever leant over the tank, ever.
Givi: Light enough tint to see through even at night, awesome wind protection, well made. Moves the air "up" to the head a little more but overall my favorite. Looks probably the worst.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'll also throw in for the Motosliders camp. I put a set on my SV before I even rode it for the first time.

I dropped the bike once when I didn't get the side stand down all the way while facing downhill after a bee flew up my jacket while riding, and I "helped" my bike fall on it's side twice, and both times there were no damage to anything expensive, wholly due to the motosliders.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
These sliders are supposed to be good as well: http://www.motovationusa.com/

I don't know anybody who has them or who has crashed them, but they have some nice sciency words on their site.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well, to answer the gas cap question:

Earlier in the thread, right when I bought my bike, my gas cap SEIZED my key with its ALMIGHTY GRIPS OF LOCKITUDE and thoroughly snapped the key off.

Fast forward to last week, the gas cap, again, seized my key and I almost had it broken off, AGAIN.

Has anybody looked at the vortex sliders? They come with a "base" and a "top" or puck or whatever. The top is replaceable so you don't have to order the whole set, just the top. Maybe it's overkill?

Can anybody really tell me what double bubbles are supposed to do? Are they the intermediates between sport touring screens and stock?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

Can anybody really tell me what double bubbles are supposed to do? Are they the intermediates between sport touring screens and stock?
The idea is to direct the air over your helmet rather than at it. I didn't notice any particular difference in wind buffeting, but I'm only 5'9". Perhaps a taller rider would see a difference. Personally, I think the double bubble style looks better than the stock shape.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Sitting in at 6'2" here... I guess I really need to find a friend that has a DB and check it out.

I think the touring screens just look awful on the svs...but maybe they're worth it if I want to go 500 miles or more?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Sitting in at 6'2" here... I guess I really need to find a friend that has a DB and check it out.

I think the touring screens just look awful on the svs...but maybe they're worth it if I want to go 500 miles or more?

I've done a 450 mile day with the puig double bubble on mine and didn't have a problem. I wouldn't bother with a touring screen unless you're planning on doing a lot of high-speed interstate stuff. Especially in winter. If it's really cold out, anything you can do to keep wind off you is worth it.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

Yeah, the tall touring screens look like pure rear end. I'm not too concerned about looks, but drat. Those things are hideous.

Anyway, I road about 120 miles at highway speed in ~45 degree weather with my Puig DB and I didn't have any problems. The fairing does a good job of keeping wind off the torso and that's what matters the most for comfort, I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just bought this...

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

(lovely iPhone picture. It won't be delivered till Friday most likely.)

2007 SV650 with ~4800 miles. Other than a couple small scratches in the paint, it looks nearly brand new.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Nice buy. I really do like the sound of a Yoshimura on the SV although nothing sounds better on a v-twin than a Remus.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I just drove this home tonight:

2004 SV650

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Very nice, I have the exact same bike! Except mine has about 10k more miles, different mirrors, a tail light flasher, and frame sliders. By the way, frame sliders are a MUST on this bike. I have motosliders and they're great.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Yeah, frame sliders and swingarm spools are first on the list. I'll probably do that sometime next week. I ate up a chunk of my tax return so I'll give it a few days.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Swear to christ, whenever I stop having so many god damned problems with my sv I'm going to be a happy man.

Latest failure, front spark plug grounds out while I'm doing 60 down a highway. I understand that it's drizzly outside, but I sware to god how big is that sparkplug drain hole that enough water gets in there to TAKE OUT AN ENTIRE CYLINDER. Yuck.

On the other hand, whenever my key isn't getting stuck, my pivot bolt isn't being completely torn up requiring a new tap for the bolt, my engine not starting after sitting in 65 degree weather.....I absolutely love it.

I can't help but think that I want to grab an 04 sv650 or something like that with fuel injection to stop all this stupid carburetor/sparkplug bullshit.

All in all, I love my bike. I wouldn't have so many problems if it hadn't been abused by a previous owner.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

I can't help but think that I want to grab an 04...to stop all this stupid carburetor/sparkplug bullshit.

And get the sexy tail-lights :allears:

Sounds to me like your bike just needs a little love. Alternatively, you can be proactive about it and search for the issues or keep fixing them as they pop up, but theres little the previous owner could have done to it to turn it into a lemon. I imagine at some point you'll have caught all the neglected errors and reach a SV reliability normality.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah that's very true. It's not a lemon, I'm just not mechanically knowledgeable enough to do preventative maintenance.

I think I'm going to figure out how to pull the spark plugs out and then put dielectric grease on the spark plugs to prevent it from grounding out so much. A poster on svrider.com suggested putting silicone grease on the sparkplug hole to prevent water from getting in. Is that safe?

Honestly, I love my sv so much, just getting ready for some stability in it's life.

So here's a question. Should I get a new battery?

Today, after it had rained for a few hours, I got on the bike and tried to start it. The engine just never would kick over. Perhaps I flooded the engine with gas and having the choke on. Not sure. I do know that I have had to jump the battery several times from my truck(not running!!!) At one point i left the bike sitting for about a month without starting it leading it to need a jump when I got back.

Is that just standard for batteries, or should I go ahead and replace it? And...is that difficult? Just unscrew the old battery and screw in the new one?

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Replacing the battery just involves removing a few bolts and lifting the seat off; it's a doddle. Smearing grease around the spark plug is one solution to water ingress but the long-term fix is to get a fenda extenda: the front fender isn't long enough to stop water getting into the front spark plug so extending it is all you need to do. It's also a lot easier if you're not mechanically minded - just remove the fender and pop-rivet the extenda on.

Have you, you know, tried recharging the battery instead of just jump-starting the bike every time it fails?

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
Probably want to replace that battery or at the very least get a trickle charger.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

ranathari posted:

Replacing the battery just involves removing a few bolts and lifting the seat off; it's a doddle.

I know where the battery is :) I've jumped it before.

How do I remove it without electrocuting myself?

I guess I need to buy a battery tender too!

Which do ya'll recommend?
I see lots of Battery Tender Junior's at dealerships. Is that the defacto?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Apollo posted:

I guess I need to buy a battery tender too!

Which do ya'll recommend?
I see lots of Battery Tender Junior's at dealerships. Is that the defacto?

i've been having R/R problems on mine recently so I'm intimately familiar with changing the batter on the sv now.
first remove the side covers, seat and pull the fusebox and its mounting bracket up out of the way. using a big screwdriver remove the negative lead first, push it back out of the way, then remove the positive lead and lift out your battery.
typically assembly is the reverse of removal, in fine haynes tradition

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Tenders are very useful, I've used a junior to recharge several dead (but still good) batteries. I think the deluxe one charges faster but the junior is fine, it takes me anywhere from a few hours to overnight to get a battery to full depending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

You can literally grab both the positive and the negative parts with wet fingers and you wont get anything more than a tingling sensation.

• Locked thread