Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Jack the Smack posted:

You can literally grab both the positive and the negative parts with wet fingers and you wont get anything more than a tingling sensation.

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

http://tinyurl.com/cajw3w first result.

quote:

If a normal healthy person (without a pacemaker) touches the two terminals of a 12 volt car battery while this battery is disconnected and away from the car there is absolutely no chance that you will be injured. If there is a particularly good connection and your hands are wet you might feel a tingle.

I was once challenged over this statement, and so sure was I of my facts that I demonstrated. I didn't feel anything.

As an absolutely worst case scenario with an extremely good contact 17 volts might, in extreme circumstances, be enough. Not twelve. 30 volts is used in industry as a safe limit.

When the battery is in the car however, it may be close to the coil and sparkplugs which carry a potential of thousands of volts - so be careful.
Also, it may not be too difficult to touch metal against a +ve side of the circuit and the -ve side (the car body is connected to one terminal) - that would cause a current big enough to melt metal.

But if the current is travelling soley through a reasonable amount of you at some point in the circuit, your resistance to current is too high to generate a dangerous current with only twelve volts.

So if the bike is turned on you may wanna be careful.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 19, 2009

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Jack the Smack posted:

You can literally grab both the positive and the negative parts with wet fingers and you wont get anything more than a tingling sensation.

Just be careful if you're wearing anything conductive. If you short the terminals, the battery can deliver huge amounts of current (since it has to do this to run the starter), which will heat or even melt the conductor. And burn whatever it's touching. People have lost fingers wearing rings, for example.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

So it looks like Suzuki won't be selling the 650S in the States for 2009. I really like the V-Twin and the bikini fairing. Suzuki still offers this combo in the V-Strom, a bike I know nothing about. Same engine. It looks like it has a pretty upright profile, too. Anybody ever ridden one?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
It's a big, comfy bike, that is nicely suited to touring around, and some light off-road (fire roads ahoy!). It has brilliant ergos, and with fuel injection, it's a doddle to ride around. It also makes a pretty nice noise. Go test ride one if you can find one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

elsanto posted:

So it looks like Suzuki won't be selling the 650S in the States for 2009. I really like the V-Twin and the bikini fairing. Suzuki still offers this combo in the V-Strom, a bike I know nothing about. Same engine. It looks like it has a pretty upright profile, too. Anybody ever ridden one?

The SV650N is being discontinued in the US (replaced by the gladius) but the SV650S will continue. I'm not quite sure which bike you're refering to.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Z3n posted:

The SV650N is being discontinued in the US (replaced by the gladius) but the SV650S will continue. I'm not quite sure which bike you're refering to.

Looks like the internet agrees with you. Suzuki's website doesn't have a 2009 SV650S up yet, which threw me. I was under the impression that both the naked and the S were going away.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

elsanto posted:

Looks like the internet agrees with you. Suzuki's website doesn't have a 2009 SV650S up yet, which threw me. I was under the impression that both the naked and the S were going away.

That was my initial impression as well, but I recall checking into it a while back and realizing that only the SV650N was going. The 2009 SV650 will likely just be exactly the same as all of the previous models.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey dudes. Need some help.

Whenever I get my bike up to a constant 85mph, which is around 6 grand rpm, it'll go for a minute or two and then lose power all of a sudden. Then when my heart is good and racing it lets out this HUGE backfire and then goes right back to having all throttle control.

Ideas?

Seems to happen with the bike around 6grand in any gear.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Sounds like a "high speed miss." You lose spark for a while and fuel is allowed to accumulate in the cylinder. When the spark comes back it all ignites as it goes out the exhaust, backfiring. You can do the same thing revving the engine up, hitting the kill switch, and holding it at WOT. When the RPMs have dropped significantly, turn the kill switch back to run. Ypu'll get a nice pop.

Check out your ignition system, starting with the spark plugs and working to the CDI and coils.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How much should I expect the price to drop on a SV650 naked if the bike has less than 10,000 miles over it first year of life? Second year of life as well? I keep seeing bikes that are 07's with 5,000 miles and the owner has them listed for $5,000. These bikes list as $6,000 new on the website. Should I be expecting less than a 20% in value? I thought these bikes would be going for cheaper especially considering the economy right now.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Some of the higher priced used models are priced that way because the seller is trying to get back what they owe on it. Also, keep in mind that the $6,000 sticker price of a new bike does not include tax, title, registration, dealer fees, shipping, etc. Most of the extra costs could potentially put the final price closer to $8,000.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anyone do their own valve adjustments? My SV is going track whore and is going to need it done within the next month and a half. Last interval I checked the clearances and didn't have to do anything, but judging by how they were last time there will almost certainly be some tight ones.

If anyone has any advice on special tools I might need, shims, etc it would be appreciated. I have a service manual but the pictures and descriptions could be better, and I think I remember it actually being wrong when it was describing how to point the cams when checking clearance (I think the lobes had to be facing up and away from each other, haynes had them to be pointing down and towards, I'm pretty sure you would never have any valve clearance that way?).

Anything else I should do while I'm in there like cam chain tensioner? Probably have to do a throttle body sync? Bleh. This will probably be the last time it needs to be done but it would be nice to save $400+ or whatever a shop would want to do it all. My street bike (tuono) will need a check in a few thou, and while that motor usually doesn't need adjustment I guess it would be nice to have all the tools I need around. Why'd I have to get V-twins ;|

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Hey guys. Whenever I start up my 2001 SV on a hill, it gives me a nice, solid, loud click as the engine turns over. Normal? This seems to coincide with the oil pressure light going off, but it never does this on level ground. Only when pointed uphill.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

TheUltimateCool posted:

Hey guys. Whenever I start up my 2001 SV on a hill, it gives me a nice, solid, loud click as the engine turns over. Normal? This seems to coincide with the oil pressure light going off, but it never does this on level ground. Only when pointed uphill.

Clarify? The light turns on, or the light turns off?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Posted this in the other bike thread but since this is the sv650 related one, what is the average cost of replacing the broken bits on this bike? eBay didnt have much of what I was looking for on either the headlight or instrument cluster.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1064084180.html

Few other bikes in the 07 range that are about 4000-4500, but if it costs under a grand to make it pretty again it might be a decent deal. If it is the same area I am in it should only be about a minute or 2 away to get a full inspection of the bike.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Ahahaha, just got an email back, damage is a bit more than I had expected. Handlebar is bent, tank is smashed in, cluster LCD is hosed. Unless I find parts for that super cheap it just went over the average used price for my area.

http://home.fuse.net/edge/racersedge/bike41.htm

EDIT: Salvage title too, weeee

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What do you have right now? Nothing?

I like sv's. I do not like that bike. Honestly though, those things mentioned would probably be the only thing wrong with it.

Replacing that stuff could be fun with the help of a motorcycle buddy!

real edit: but salvage??? how hard is that going to be to gently caress with?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

What do you have right now? Nothing?

I like sv's. I do not like that bike. Honestly though, those things mentioned would probably be the only thing wrong with it.

Replacing that stuff could be fun with the help of a motorcycle buddy!

real edit: but salvage??? how hard is that going to be to gently caress with?

I have an 88 zx600. Ohio isnt the best for dealing with salvage titles, and it would basically destroy all resale value. I just want a 2nd bike so when I am tearing apart one for something (carbs, fork seals, tires, breaking 20 year old bolt on instrument panel) I have something else I can ride. :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Anyone do their own valve adjustments? My SV is going track whore and is going to need it done within the next month and a half. Last interval I checked the clearances and didn't have to do anything, but judging by how they were last time there will almost certainly be some tight ones.

If anyone has any advice on special tools I might need, shims, etc it would be appreciated. I have a service manual but the pictures and descriptions could be better, and I think I remember it actually being wrong when it was describing how to point the cams when checking clearance (I think the lobes had to be facing up and away from each other, haynes had them to be pointing down and towards, I'm pretty sure you would never have any valve clearance that way?).

Anything else I should do while I'm in there like cam chain tensioner? Probably have to do a throttle body sync? Bleh. This will probably be the last time it needs to be done but it would be nice to save $400+ or whatever a shop would want to do it all. My street bike (tuono) will need a check in a few thou, and while that motor usually doesn't need adjustment I guess it would be nice to have all the tools I need around. Why'd I have to get V-twins ;|

Find a cheap set of small screwdrivers, break the handles off, and then bend them so that you can retract the cam chain tensioners without removing them from the bike. Hold them in place with vice grips and you're good to go. Unless you have the special 'zook tool, which I've never had, it's pretty absurdly difficult to get the cam chain tensioner in while still holding the tensioned rod back via the slot in the back.

Buy or borrow a complete set of shims. You're welcome to borrow mine if you'd like (e-mail me, PM), I think it may be missing a single size range from last time I loaned it out. Either way, the SV uses 7.48mm shims, which are used in a shitload of bikes. They're gonna be expensive at the shop (around 8$ a pop, usually), so if you have to adjust a number of them or plan on ever owning another bike that will use 7.48 shims, it's worth it. Plus the ease of just grabbing a shim out of the box, and tossing it in, rather than having to pull everything, measure them, see if you can swap shims anywhere, and then going to the dealership with a list of sizes, getting reamed on price, and then having to put it all back together. Plus, if you have the shims on hand, you don't have to rotate the engine while you've got the cams out, making getting them back into the correct location much, much easier.

Rotax uses 10mm shims, which are apparently only shared by some KTMs and the V-Rod, so unfortunantly you can't double up there.

I've always used Clymers manuals, and have been led wrong occasionally (no, you can't shove your finger down the CCT hole to prevent the chain from skipping links while you turn it over), but their diagrams are dead on (probably lifted directly from the factory manual).

If you're paranoid about getting them back in dead on, turn the bike over till the timing mark for the front cylinder, check the clearences, and then if you have to pull them, take a picture of the location of the cams, dead on from the side. Then you can swap everything, and realign them according to the picture. If you're really desperate for accurate diagrams, I can take a picture out of my repair manual which I know is correct.

Diet, that bike is worth maybe 2k at most. Scratch on the frame, damaged gauge cluster (expensive), tank (expensive). I personally wouldn't buy it unless I got it for 1500$ or less. Preferably less.

Edit: UltimateCool, that click is probably your starter solenoid. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless your bike stops starting on uphills. It's probably just a little sticky when it's tilted like that, so it's snapping shut loud enough to give you a click.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 9, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Diet, that bike is worth maybe 2k at most. Scratch on the frame, damaged gauge cluster (expensive), tank (expensive). I personally wouldn't buy it unless I got it for 1500$ or less. Preferably less.

Shot this over to him, can't wait for a reply back :dance: "Since the bike has a salvage title and would need considerable repairs to register and make road worthy, would you consider anything lower (1500-2000)?"

What is a reasonable price for an 07 in good condition?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Shot this over to him, can't wait for a reply back :dance: "Since the bike has a salvage title and would need considerable repairs to register and make road worthy, would you consider anything lower (1500-2000)?"

What is a reasonable price for an 07 in good condition?

4-5k.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

4-5k.

Nice, that means this area is on par. A few spotless 07 sv650s are around here for about 4k. Since 07 was the first year to go dual spark plug with the different head, was there any problems associated with that? Also what sort of cylinder liners are on the sv650 models? Is it iron or the newer nickle plating that is seen on almost every other Suzuki bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Nice, that means this area is on par. A few spotless 07 sv650s are around here for about 4k. Since 07 was the first year to go dual spark plug with the different head, was there any problems associated with that? Also what sort of cylinder liners are on the sv650 models? Is it iron or the newer nickle plating that is seen on almost every other Suzuki bike?

No problems with the dual spark heads as far as I'm aware. I'm 90% sure that they're iron.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

No problems with the dual spark heads as far as I'm aware. I'm 90% sure that they're iron.

That new Gladius engine has that newer coating instead of liners. They dont mention that on the sv650sf, wonky.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

That new Gladius engine has that newer coating instead of liners. They dont mention that on the sv650sf, wonky.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're iron because I know people have done bores on the SV650, but it looks like that may be out on the gladius engine? It looks like it should fit the same mounts, so I wonder how long it'll be before some racer (or Zoran) ends up with a gladius engine and will see how much power it can take...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're iron because I know people have done bores on the SV650, but it looks like that may be out on the gladius engine? It looks like it should fit the same mounts, so I wonder how long it'll be before some racer (or Zoran) ends up with a gladius engine and will see how much power it can take...

Was the new engine supposed to be better (stronger) or just cheaper to make?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Was the new engine supposed to be better (stronger) or just cheaper to make?

Who knows. The 2nd gen engine was supposed to be better (FI, blah blah blah) but it turns out that it'll snap the crank if you push over 80rwhp with mods. Gladius could have fixed that, could have not fixed that, but with the coating you can't hone to fit busa pistons (increased compression) and who knows if the cam swap will work anymore...

Gen one bike is a lot more upgradable, gen 2 has some of those upgrades done...it's a mixed bag. I'm curious to see what happens with the gladius, though.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Who knows. The 2nd gen engine was supposed to be better (FI, blah blah blah) but it turns out that it'll snap the crank if you push over 80rwhp with mods. Gladius could have fixed that, could have not fixed that, but with the coating you can't hone to fit busa pistons (increased compression) and who knows if the cam swap will work anymore...

Gen one bike is a lot more upgradable, gen 2 has some of those upgrades done...it's a mixed bag. I'm curious to see what happens with the gladius, though.

In stock engine configurations are there any problems or is it just when you start pushing it?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
LOL.

Have you looked at first gens?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

In stock engine configurations are there any problems or is it just when you start pushing it?

No, zero problems. 80hp is with a cam swap, flatslides, and a good full system on the bike, to get over that you're looking at some kind of engine work. I've heard that over 90 they start to run into transmission issues, but it'd take a lot of work to get an SV over 90, you'd have a time bomb anyways, so it's just a race to see if the engine goes or the transmission goes first.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dietcokefiend posted:

There is a reason so many people race sv's. I had full throttle for 2 HOURS yesterday and it's still rocking :). (107mph indicated LOLZ)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

There is a reason so many people race sv's. I had full throttle for 2 HOURS yesterday and it's still rocking :). (107mph indicated LOLZ)

Full throttle, even indicated, should be quite a bit better than 107. Were you loaded to the brim with weight?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah was rocking some saddlebags like in the sa relay posts.

Okay well that opened up a whole can of worms about how well my SV is doing. I'm taking it to a guy my friends recommended to have my fork seals done, maybe I'll have him do an entire inspection here.

My bike needs a LOT of love to get back to stock working condition, poor thing.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Got an email back from the guy with the salvage sv650

quote:

it doesn't need that much
used gauges off ebay $80
used gas tank off ebay $80-150
thats really it
we would fix it up if it was ours and we had the time to spend on ebay
searching
and ask more for it

So he appears to be all :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Got an email back from the guy with the salvage sv650

So he appears to be all :colbert:

Ask him about the damage to the frame and the cost to replace that. Also, gauges...that's for a broken set.

A decent condition tank will be 200$+.

So yeah, he's an idiot/full of poo poo. Not a suprise taht his price is high, as he's a buisness built around breaking bikes, but he made a stupid purchase there, and he's asking more than he should for it. Plus it's a salvage title, so it's actual value is somewhere in the 3500$ range as a result. If the title was still clear, 3200$ would be an ok price, because the worth of the bike after it all would be around 4-5k, but with the salvage title? Nah.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 10, 2009

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Had a bit of a James May day today. Its so much fun planning to just lube the chain on the weekend, only to spend the better part of 4 hours pulling the rear end apart to go at everything with an old toothbrush and some kerosine. I was using Motul chain lube before and that stuff flung like a motherbitch. Have changed to Bel-Ray Superclean which is supposedly better.

The end result.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
That is disturbingly clean. I haven't cleaned the crap off my bike since September and I'm dreading what I'm going to see when I remove the chainguard.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Tentacle Party posted:

I was using Motul chain lube before and that stuff flung like a motherbitch. Have changed to Bel-Ray Superclean which is supposedly better.

Have you tried Dupont Teflon Chain Lube? http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

It's a dry lube that doesn't fling off the chain or attract dirt.

I've been using it since I bought the bike and there are no signs of wear on the chain (but the bike has only about 2300 miles on it, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

^^^You clean the chain from the top? I just clean the bottom run of the chain under the swingarm and spin the wheel to get to the rest of the chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Now way that sprocket was that clean when the bike was new.

• Locked thread