Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Tentacle Party posted:

Bel-Ray Superclean

It is really, really good for not flinging off. Buuuuuuuuut.... It turns into loving gummy poo poo after a short while, and holy crap, does it ever bind well with sand/dirt/grime/wildlife. I now just relegate it to use on my track bike, as I can't have anything flinging off where it could gently caress someone else's day up, but on all my other bikes, I'm using gear oil, fling off be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

It is really, really good for not flinging off. Buuuuuuuuut.... It turns into loving gummy poo poo after a short while, and holy crap, does it ever bind well with sand/dirt/grime/wildlife. I now just relegate it to use on my track bike, as I can't have anything flinging off where it could gently caress someone else's day up, but on all my other bikes, I'm using gear oil, fling off be damned.

I run gear oil on the track.

Hell, I used 30w motor oil last time because I neglected to bring gear oil. As long as wipe off your chain nicely, you're not going to fling off in such a fashion as to cause a bad day for anyone. If you're super paranoid about it, just lube it the day before, and lay some towels down to catch it as it drips off. Then wipe it down one last time at the track and you're good to go.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 14, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Fair enough. I probably will do likewise, as I think I'm out of that Bel-Ray stuff, and it always left nasty white overspray on everything. Oh, also, I have to roll the bike over gravel/sand, so an oiled chain would probably pick up less crap.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I'm telling you guys, try the Dupont Teflon stuff. No dripping, no flinging and no picking up poo poo or turning into a gummy mess. It's the most painless way possible to maintain a chain.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sure, but does it cost $6 for a bottle that will last for the better part of a year?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

Sure, but does it cost $6 for a bottle that will last for the better part of a year?

$4.98

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hrm. I'll have a look when I'm out next time.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Simkin posted:

Hrm. I'll have a look when I'm out next time.

It's also great for lubing about a million other things on your bike and in your garage/house. I use it constantly. The fact that it's a dry wax that stays put and that nothing sticks to makes it better than just about anything else out there, in my opinion.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
^^^ I used it for the window regulators and lock linkages in my BMW 2002... Never have they been so smooth.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

MourningGlory posted:

Dupont Teflon stuff.

Sold. Seems like its a bit hard to source down under but supposedly it can be found in boating stores. Will definitely give it a go. No fling and no dirt attraction would be perfect for my :argh: polished rims :argh:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did some things to the SV today.

1) Vortex gas cap and base
2) MOTOSLIDERS LOL
3) New oil and oil filter!

Next project is new chain, sprocket, new perch for the clutch and....about a billion other things.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Loosened my clutch cable at both ends, took it out of the lever, and lubed it with a pressure cable luber. Reinstalled and adjusted back to correct engagement - BUT!

Now, while rolling, the clutch makes a rapid ticking noise that varies directly with speed. It does this in any gear and in neutral, with the engine on or off. Anybody experienced this before or have any ideas?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

TheUltimateCool posted:

Loosened my clutch cable at both ends, took it out of the lever, and lubed it with a pressure cable luber. Reinstalled and adjusted back to correct engagement - BUT!

Now, while rolling, the clutch makes a rapid ticking noise that varies directly with speed. It does this in any gear and in neutral, with the engine on or off. Anybody experienced this before or have any ideas?

Clutch on my ZX600 will make a tapping noise if the cable is too tight.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Has anyone put hard panniers/saddlebags on their 2nd gen SV? I want to do some touring and I'm just looking for input from anyone that may have already slogged through the options.

If it matters, my exhaust is stock and any aftermarket pipe I might put on the bike will stay in the stock location.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Fixed it! Not sure what was going on, but I re-adjusted it from scratch and cleaned/lubed the chain. One of those did the trick.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MourningGlory posted:

Has anyone put hard panniers/saddlebags on their 2nd gen SV? I want to do some touring and I'm just looking for input from anyone that may have already slogged through the options.

If it matters, my exhaust is stock and any aftermarket pipe I might put on the bike will stay in the stock location.

MourningGlory posted:

I use cortech sport touring saddlebags. If you look in the SA relay posts you can see them on my sv.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

If you go over to svrider.com there's an entire touring forum full of pictures and discussion on the options. The consensus seems to be that the Givi setup is probably the best, but not really worth the price increase over the SW Motech setup (which can use the Givi luggage).

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

If you go over to svrider.com there's an entire touring forum full of pictures and discussion on the options. The consensus seems to be that the Givi setup is probably the best, but not really worth the price increase over the SW Motech setup (which can use the Givi luggage).
Thanks for the information. I'll poke around on svrider and see what comes up. I guess I'm spoiled by SA. Reading other forums is painful at times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

Thanks for the information. I'll poke around on svrider and see what comes up. I guess I'm spoiled by SA. Reading other forums is painful at times.
I'm actually impressed with that forum. The people seem genuinely friendly and helpful and their typing is mostly pretty good. They also seem to be largely against acting like an idiot on your bike, too, which is always a good thing. It's definitely above the usual AOL speak bullshit at most forums.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Can anyone recommend a standard-mount slip-on that sounds good (deep, rumbly, not raspy) but is not significantly louder than the stock can? Or at least, not offensively loud?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I dont know what you mean by 'standard mount'. I went with the Two Bros. It's real deep, not offensively loud (I dont think) and I think is one of the better sounds an SV is capable of making.

You do have to do a little hack saw action though. Nothing hard.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

I dont know what you mean by 'standard mount'.
Sorry, I meant "mounts in the same position as the stock can", since there are also high-mounts and race-mounts.

quote:

I went with the Two Bros. It's real deep, not offensively loud (I dont think) and I think is one of the better sounds an SV is capable of making.
I'll check it out.

Apathy=Awesome
Jun 17, 2003

♫♪♫ Check it! ♫♪♫
Hey everyone,

I just got a 2003 SV off craigslist. Loving every minute of riding it. The bike has a Salvaged/Reconstructed title and I don't know anything about its maintenence history besides the fact that it drives fairly well right now.

The oil light comes on when I first turn it on and it probably needs some maintainence (the front wheel makes a soft but weird sound every time the wheel revolves which you can only hear at low speeds).

Due to a large bank account and limited time, I have little interest in doing any maintainence on it myself. I figure I have two options:

1) Go to a private mechanic (there are lots I see on craigslist) that has his own shop. I do like supporting the little guy.

2) Go to a Suzuki dealership. This would also provide comprehensive paperwork about the bike if I ever decided to sell it. This would probably be the more trustworthy route.

What should I ask for? A full inspection and tune up?

Thanks

edit: I'm in Portland, OR if you guys have any specific recommendations for shops/mechanics

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apathy=Awesome fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 7, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oil light buisness is normal. You don't have a lot of oil pressure when the bike isn't running ;)

The front end thing could be normal brake dragging, or it could be an issue with a bearing.

I'd hesitate to recommend a private mechanic without prior knowledge of them and their work. There's some very trustworthy ones out there, and there's some complete scumbags. At least with a dealership you've got someone bigger than a guy in their garage to go after if there's a problem.

I'd take it into a dealership, tell them what you just told us, and ask for a pre/post purchase inspection. Tell them that you want them to do anything that needs to be done. I'm going to guess that they'll check all of the consumables and the fluids as well as go over all of the basics on it, check out that noise from the front end, and just make sure you're ready to go. If you feel like you're getting shafted, just drop back by the thread with a list of what they're charging you for and we'll be happy to go over if it's reasonable or not.

What sort of mileage does it have on it? It may need the valves checked, which could be a few hundred $. What sort of mechanical experience (if any) do you have? You should learn to take care of the basics that you'll need, like checking your chain and lubing it and your oil level.

Apathy=Awesome
Jun 17, 2003

♫♪♫ Check it! ♫♪♫
Mileage is 14,500, I think I can afford to have the valves checked since I was able to snag the bike for $2100 :smug: There are some advantages to a down economy.

I figured out how to tighten the chain and have basic mechanic experience. Have no idea about the oil so I think I need to give the technical manual some serious reading.

I'm just still in shock that I actually own one of these bikes after 7 years of really wanting one but never being able to afford one. I always used to think 1st gen looked the best but it's weird now I prefer the 2nd gen look. Maybe it's just my brain trying to eliminate cognitive dissonance.

It's my only form of transportation now. I went from a lovely 1993 Ford Taurus which cost $1000 a year in insurance to the bike which is $142 a year in insurance. :dance:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Apathy=Awesome posted:

Mileage is 14,500, I think I can afford to have the valves checked since I was able to snag the bike for $2100 :smug: There are some advantages to a down economy.

I figured out how to tighten the chain and have basic mechanic experience. Have no idea about the oil so I think I need to give the technical manual some serious reading.

I'm just still in shock that I actually own one of these bikes after 7 years of really wanting one but never being able to afford one. I always used to think 1st gen looked the best but it's weird now I prefer the 2nd gen look. Maybe it's just my brain trying to eliminate cognitive dissonance.

It's my only form of transportation now. I went from a lovely 1993 Ford Taurus which cost $1000 a year in insurance to the bike which is $142 a year in insurance. :dance:

If you don't have proof that they've been done, it'd be a very good idea to have them checked.

The oil is simple...there's a sight glass on the right side, by the clutch cover. Stand the bike upright on level ground, and it should go up to the middle of the sight glass.

I went the opposite direction with gen 1 and gen 2 looks...loved the gen 2, hated the gen 1, now I've own 2 gen ones. :laffo:

The gen 2 does have much more kickass tail lights though.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I live in Portland, OR as well and use EDR performance when I don't do my own maintenance. They are spendy but do poo poo RIGHT.

http://www.edrperformance.com/

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MourningGlory posted:

Can anyone recommend a standard-mount slip-on that sounds good (deep, rumbly, not raspy) but is not significantly louder than the stock can? Or at least, not offensively loud?

Not sure how they sound for just a slip-on can, but I'd definitely avoid Hindle, if the full system is any indication. Goddamn, that thing is loooooouuuuuuuud.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MourningGlory posted:

Avoid M4, Yoshi. I'd recommend micron if you can find one.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well, I've been thinking about it. I'm going to convert my sv650s into an sv650N

Going to need some help with headlight decisions and the like. GET READY EVERYBODY :D

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Avoid M4, Yoshi. I'd recommend micron if you can find one.

Now see, others have specifically said that the Yoshi RS-3 is fairly quiet. Which model are you referring to?

Every time I read that a given pipe is loud or quiet, someone else says the exact opposite somewhere else. I'm getting frustrated :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MourningGlory posted:

Now see, others have specifically said that the Yoshi RS-3 is fairly quiet. Which model are you referring to?

Every time I read that a given pipe is loud or quiet, someone else says the exact opposite somewhere else. I'm getting frustrated :(

Pipes are in the ear of the beholder?

I had an RS3 Race full titanium system with no baffle. It was loud as hell. Maybe other people had the "street" baffle in theirs?

I'm pretty sure that hindle, muzzy, and yoshi all make baffles.

I know for sure that blue flame does. If you want a snazzy can that can be quiet or loud, pick up a blue flame one. It's got 2 exhaust outlets, of which you can baffle both or one, so you can get a more raspy sound, a deeper sound, or have it be quiet. I'm gonna try and find one for my streetbike.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Two Brothers is loud.

It might not hit your ear loud on the seat but goddamn does that pipe penetrate urban apartments like no other.

Spiffness posted:

not offensively loud (I dont think)

I feel like I need to have a helmet with an LED halo telling other drivers and pedestrians "I'M SORRY THIS ISN'T MY BIKE IT'S HIS >>>>>>>"

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I finally found a Gladius that Z3n might want to sell his kidneys for:

Supermoto Gladius!
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Custom%20Bikes/L-R-G%20Gladius.htm

Really, aside from that heinous stock exhaust, I now think that it looks less retarded than in the press material.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Simkin likes gay colors pass it on

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ok, that's awesome.

On slipons, I like my Leo Vince, it's not really that lound and it's quiet as a mouse compared to a Tuono with full Tigcrafts. But it sounds better than stock, is soooo much lighter than the stock can and runs warm to the touch instead of burn your hand hot. Thatt will be true of any slipon though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

I finally found a Gladius that Z3n might want to sell his kidneys for:

Supermoto Gladius!
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Custom%20Bikes/L-R-G%20Gladius.htm

Really, aside from that heinous stock exhaust, I now think that it looks less retarded than in the press material.

I do like it a lot, but why have all of that front travel when the rear shock still only has a few inches? Seems kinda pointless, and like it'd toss the bike's travel all out of balance.

And I loving called it last night that the first thing people would do would be to rip off those lower shrouds.

Also, I'm not sure if I'd trust the single rotor to stop a 400+ pound bike over and over again in an aggressive riding situation, but that's probably not a concern for the urban SM rider.

I do think that's way cool though. I wonder how much weight you could strip off of it to get a good hybrid SM/Standard.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Simkin posted:

The Hyabusa in the background was featured in Cycle World a couple months ago. It has clear plastic rims

P.S. The color scheme is gross.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Simkin likes gay colors pass it on

And? I'd probably want to tart the bike up with some nice magenta graphics, just to get the full 80s :lsd: effect.

They could definitely do with twin front rotors, longer real travel, and a different mounting position for the exhaust (high mounted or undertail?). Still, I would ride the poo poo out of it, :gay: colour scheme and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

jdonz posted:

clear plastic rims

I wonder how many miles you could go before they get all dirty and look like crap.

• Locked thread