Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
I recently bought a naked 05 SV650 and I've been riding it to work every day since. It's at about 17k miles (bought it at 16k), and I have no maintenance history, though I know the oil is clean, etc.

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a funky rattle that I can't hear so much as feel through the foot pegs and the soles of my boots. It comes on around 3-4k rpm, or during the friction zone as I begin engine breaking. Could this be due to a loose chain? I'm a maintenance noob, but the chain does feel like it's got a fair bit of play in it.

One way or another I'm planning on taking it in for a checkup next week anyway, since I'm sure it's overdue, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight before I take it to a mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Huh. I need to dig up a gen one manual and see if it's listed at 6k or 15k. I wonder if I got bad information somewhere and just never bothered to double check it...:sigh:

Have you cleaned and lubed the chain recently?

I haven't yet, but I bought a can of chain lube on the way home from work today, so I expect I'll take some time on Sunday to get a little closer to my new friend. ;)

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

So I cleaned and lubed the chain today, and I think my rattling issue has been resolved. I tried to tighten the chain too, as I found about 1.8 inches of travel, but after adjusting the tightening bolts and putting everything back together, I found that the chain was still loose! I didn't have the energy to do it all again (not to mention that I don't have another cotter pin just sitting around), so that's a "some time this week" project.

New question: I want a rear stand to make chain maintenance easier in the future. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm starting to think about upgrading from the stock exhaust. I know next to nothing about this, though, and I'd love to hear tips, experiences, and recommendations.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Pitbull it is. Do I need a spooled stand or the other type?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Oh, I see, I thought it was something intrinsic to the swingarm. No, I don't have spools, so standard it is!

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Well, I was riding to work this morning through the mess that the Bay Area turned into late last night, and right at the I-80/Highway 4 interchange my SV crapped out on me. I slowed down for a truck, then started to speed up again for the ramp, but found that I was only getting the tiniest little bit of power: full throttle in 5th was giving me about 50 mph.

I pulled off, called a tow truck, and now I'm sitting on my hands, waiting to hear back from the mechanic. I'm guessing some water got into the wiring and shorted something, or maybe one of the spark plugs went. Seemed like it was only running on one cylinder, and I can't imagine the cylinder itself seized up.

Bah. Carpooling is gonna suck.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

SVs often get water in the front cylinder spark plug. Check to see if that's what happened. People will rig up little plug guards to avoid it. Pull the part that attaches to the plug (why can't I think of it's name) and see if there's any moisture, if there is, it was grounding out there.

Turns out that the cylinder, radiator, and certainly the plug were all flooded. Torrential rains are a bit much for my particular bike, it seems.

Also, I learned that my chain and sprockets need replacing. Look for me soon in the "what did you do to your bike today?" thread.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I was riding through some seriously hard downpour for about 20 minutes, including sections of road that were about 2 inches deep in water. Some of the spray was coming as high as my chest. Since the radiator is basically just a big sponge, it filled full of water. Water also leaked in through the spark plug boot into the cylinder (unless I'm misinterpreting what he said to me).

Ordinarily I wouldn't have even gotten on the bike, but I had to get to work, and the carpool was not running that day. It was a mess.

I'm just glad that it was a (reasonably) cheap issue, and that it more or less resolved itself. It's also nice to learn how far I can push the operating conditions.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Changed my own oil for the first time today. Managed to strip the threads on the oil pan. Goddammit. Guys at the shop (who sold me the oil and filter a couple weeks ago) said they'll augur it out and install new threading. Guess I'm paying the stupid tax on this one, but at least I managed to do the filter properly.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

My bad, dunno what I meant to say in that last post. I stripped a thread off the bolt and several threads off the aluminum casing into which the bolt screws. Shop called today and mentioned that the oil I'd just put in was shot too, too many little bits of aluminum in it. Three pints of Motul down the drain on top of the labor. $200 dollar oil change, all told. Sigh.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I dunno why the hell I get such low mileage on mine. It's an 05 nekkid and I'm averaging 35-40, tops. I tend to ride at about 80 on the freeway, with very little riding other than commute riding. :-/

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Mods, power commander? Are you a big guy? Aggressive with the throttle? I'd get about 45mpg out of my g/f's old naked gen 1, she could push nearly to 60 because she was a way more responsible rider than me.

I'm sturdy, but not huge: probably about 210 with all my gear on. I accelerate up the odd on-ramp, but I'm not launching it away from street lights. As far as I know, it's stock, but I did get it from a dude who bought it as salvage from the insurance company with no prior history.

How would I know whether it had a power commander?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I'm trying to decide between holding out for an FI sv650, or grabbing one of the slightly cheaper carbureted versions.

Can anyone attest to the merits of one or the other? Assuming both bikes have similar miles and have been well-cared for, which would you choose, and why?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

I'd choose the Gen 1, purely for flatslides. With the cam swap you can bring a gen one up to the power of a gen 2 for cheap, and the flatslides add a lot of torque and top end power, plus they sound awesome.

And they're dead simple, supposedly lighter, and are generally cheaper all around thanks to their age.

What are flatsides?

I had an 05 sv650 for a year, but had to sell it on account of circumstances. Haven't decided which I prefer aesthetically, but if that's really the only difference, I may opt for the cheaper of the two. I live in CA, so it never really gets cold enough for FI to be mandatory. :D

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I have an 02 SV650, and lately it's been drinking down gas like nobody's business. 35-38 mpg under average riding (a few trips up to 9k on highway on-ramps, but mostly street riding around 3-5k rpm). This is distressingly low gas mileage, so I thought, "I know! I'll check the spark plugs!"

I pulled them out, and they looked like this:

Now as I understand it, that's pretty crusty for a spark plug. I replaced them with new NGK plugs, but I'm wondering: should I learn how to fiddle with my carbs, too? Is this, as I have heard, a symptom of running a rich mixture?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Checked my air filter about a month back, it seemed fine. I put a bunch of air through it (in the correct direction!) just in case. Tire pressure was a little low back around the time I checked the filter, so I put a bit more in each, but I have yet to see a change in mileage.

If the trouble is in the carbs, is it an adjustment I can do with the carbs on the bike, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and learn how to take them off/apart?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I fill completely and calculate mileage based on how much gas the pump says I added. I'm getting 35-39 mpg, and it's really frustrating. I've put new plugs in, cleaned out the air filter, changed the oil and oil filter, and it hasn't changed. I think I'll save up a bit and take it to the shop to get the carbs synched, but aside from that I'm kinda out of ideas. I don't ride it particularly hard, I usually shift before 4.5k rpm on the street, etc.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Try reving it out more. Engines are most efficient at peak torque, so if you're constantly pinning it and short shifting, you're going to burn a lot more gas than you will if you rev it out a bit more but are a lot lighter on the throttle. I believe peak torque on an SV is around 6k. I'd usually shift around there when I was cruising around town, and would try to keep it over 4k because the engine liked to vibe and jump around at low RPM.

Will try this and report back. :D

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I have a pair of drag or dirt bike bars on my sv650 now, and I think they're just too far forward to be comfortable for me. The PO installed them, as well as heated grips (which I love). Is it feasible to replace them with the stock bars (or something else), so that I get a more upright riding position? Or would this be a massive PITA?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

I need a new rear tire (maybe a new front, but definitely the rear) but I am poor as poo poo. Recommend me a tire that won't break the bank but also won't dump me on my rear end? I do mostly freeway riding with occasional ventures out to the twisties.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Haha, no, just the stock wheels. I'll look around and see if I can find a set of pilot roads on sale. Thanks!

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Cheapest PR1 on ebay right now is 130$. You could get a pair of PR2s for around 300$ shipped, or just a rear for ~160$. What's your budget? Because the PR2s will have you set on tires for probably 12-15k on the front and 8-10k on the rear.

What tires do you have on there at the moment?

I've got Pirelli Stradas front and rear, courtesy of the PO. Budget-wise, well, I'm unemployed, and considering selling the bike sometime in the next couple of months, so it'd be nice to stick down around 100 bucks for the rear.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Just slap another diablo strada on the back then, they're the previous gen sport touring tire for pirelli so they should be around 100$. If you're really strapped for cash I have a DOT race takeoff you could have. Its burned up on the sides but fine in the center. Shouldn't be more that 15$ or so to ship, if you know someone who will mount it cheap it could get you through the lean spot.

This Shinko tire looks like a good option, and I could grab one from the cyclegear nearby rather than deal with shipping. I appreciate the offer, but since I don't have a way of mounting it cheaply, I think it probably makes more sense to get a new tire and mount that, rather than mount a used tire now and another new tire later when I can better afford it.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

JohnCrichton posted:

That's the tire I have on my bike. Aside from giving good grip in dry conditions it also does well in the rain and ice encrusted parking lots.

Hey, that's good to hear. Hoping to purchase and switch over sometime in the next couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

If M42 doesn't snag it, I'm interested too! :)

• Locked thread