Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Atomic Hotdog posted:

So my '99 didn't start today. Engine isn't really turning, I think my battery died? When press the ignition button, everything just goes out and nothing happens.
I want to push start it, but I keep getting horrifying images of flipping over and dying instantly. Is there anything I should know? What I get from it is that there's going to be some skidding involved. Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it really is?

I don't know about the specifics of a SV650, but push starting isn't too scary. I'm lucky to live at the top of the road, it slopes down to the end so whenever my recalcitrant beast doesn't start, I just roll it down the road. Basically, just make sure you're in second, clutch in and roll the bike up to about 10mph (the speed you need depends on the bike), then let the clutch out. Engine should start, then you want to clutch in so that when you brake, you don't kill the engine.

I can never remember which bikes are easier to bump start and which are more challenging. I know it's something to do with displacement, compression and type of engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

ranathari posted:

I think the law's a great idea because it does stop a lot of idiots from doing their test and jumping straight on a litrebike but it's not perfect. The worst riders I've known generally tend to do DAS, which lets them jump on a litrebike right after a 3-day course with no previous riding experience and I do think that needs to change. Having spent the last year and a half on a 33hp SV with two years on a CBR125 before that, it's taught me a lot about the process of riding so when I step up to a more powerful bike, there's less I've got to get used to.

I wonder what would happen to fatality rates in the US if a similar law existed?

I rode my 125 for 18 months and about 2000-2500 miles before I took my full test (DAS). I took that poor bike all over the country, and did many long days on her. But driving that long with such a small bike definitely gave me a huge amount of confidence in both my abilities and how far I could push the bike because it was so forgiveable and it was almost impossible to get into a situation that I couldn't get out of.

Every time you hear of modifications to the bike testing process, I have a friend who swears that they're getting rid of the DAS course, and that they should have done it ages ago. I don't think it's the DAS that's the problem, although it does cause problems, particularly in the instance of someone with no prior experience coming in, doing the course and then walking away with the legal right to ride a litrebike (I deliberately didn't use the term 'ability').

But the SV650 is so drat popular over here because if you are limited to a certain amount of hp, it's nice to have a) something that doesn't have to have it's guts revved out every time you want to use those 33 puny horses, and b) something with a little bit more torque than your normal I4. There's also the fact that they're stupidly easy to restrict and thus derestrict. So you don't have to get used to a whole new bike when you finally get past your 2 years of riding and aren't restricted anymore.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

goku chewbacca posted:

What stops people from derestricting right after? A giant gently caress-off learner plate that screams "I shouldn't be able to go this fast!!!"?

I may be misunderstanding, but derestrict right after when? The current situation is that you can do your full bike riding test on either a 125cc or a (I forget the exact requirements, but it's almost always) 500cc bike. Test is exactly the same for either, but if you pass on the 125, you're restricted to a certain power/weight ratio and to less than 33bhp for 2 years.

If you pass on the 500, sky's the limit (that's what I passed with, and then I bought myself a 400cc bike, clever me) and that's how people jump right onto the litrebikes. But either way, you've still passed your driving test and you're no longer a learner, so you can't (shouldn't/won't ?) wear L-plates.

There's nothing stopping you claiming you've restricted your bike for insurance and legal purposes, but not actually doing so. Or even restricting it, and then removing it. But there must be a way the cops can check, or get someone to check, otherwise it's completely pointless.

*edit*

civvy posted:

I'd say it should go the other way, if I'm understanding you correctly.

You can do a test in a car at 17, then immediately jump in any car and drive it. You're going to do a lot more damage in the car if something goes wrong. Why should it have to be any different for a bike?

Damage? Yes. Damage to whom though? A somewhat serious crash in a car can leave property damaged and a car wrecked, but you're more likely to walk away unscathed in a car than on a bike. Add into that the availability to stupidly fast bikes compared to stupidly fast cars, and I can understand the extra caution for bikers. It is getting stupid though, the changes in March mean that for someone entering into the biking world fresh will have to do 4 seperate tests to get their license. CBT, Theory test, Multi-purpose Test Centre off-road portion, then finally the on-road portion.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 10, 2009

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Ola posted:

I'm considering an SV 1000 as my next bike, so I have a few dumb questions.

1. I might import one from England to save some money (and better choice), can the speedo be reconfigured from mph to kph easily? Or maybe they use furlongs per fortnight over there, and the rider sits on the other side.

2. Is it true that medieval torture is preferable to adjusting the valves?

3. Can you remove the pillion seat and click some luggage solution in its place? I would definitely need a full luggage solution but for shorter trips it would be nice with something small and practical, but I guess a strapped soft bag would work just fine.

Oi, we're not quite that backwards over here. MPH is what we use. I was going to say it ought to be fairly easily to swap the backplates over on the speedo, because I've got to do it on my friend's CB400, but I forgot speedos can be electronic.

Although we drive on the other side of the road, controls are still the same, which actually makes more sense when it comes to waiting at stops. We can have our foot on the brake, and be leaning away from oncoming traffic.

Also, that makes me wish the CB was electronic, it sounds so much easier than taking apart the entire speedo just for the want of a small disk of plastic.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Coredump posted:

Anyone got some 2nd gen stock front signals they want to sell me? The after market ones on the front of the bike just aren't visible enough for my liking.

Surely you can advertise some sort of swap somewhere, maybe even get a little cash out of it? I know that's what a lot of people do for stuff when they're swapping back to stock.

• Locked thread