Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Great bike, only had it for 3 weeks and so far got it it up to 130. The previous owner got it to 150 on the track.

if you notice that weird stuff on the tank, near the seat where your legs go, is a rubber rough surface. When accelerating and going over bumpy surfaces at high speed, I squeeze my legs and I'm able to stay to the bike without my butt sliding.

Oh and it's a 2005 model.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

So..what do I search for?

"aftermarket sv650 turn signals?" Is it that simple or do I can I find a place to research this stuff?

It's just that simple. Make sure to have the right year model.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Hey look, some nice levers for less than $15:

http://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-Katana-SV650-CARBON-LEVERS/dp/B0013L1BMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1226884132&sr=8-1

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
God drat that sucks dude. My sister rides an SV 650 2005, and her boyfriend a SV 650 1999. Both have really thick keys, at least in comparison to the tiny little Kawasaki ones, so you must have used a lot of force.

Don't you have a spare? You can just tape down the gas tank or something and ride with the spare.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
What's the disadvantage of having that much horsepower on a bike?

----------------

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I think that has to do with the Throttle Retardant on certain SV bikes. I plan to install a Retarder Eliminator today or tomorrow.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Simkin posted:

Wouldn't a retard eliminator just be some burly dude kicking JTS off of his bike? :iiam:

Borat: Very nice.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Hey, on my SV 1000 bike is a rear passenger rail. Is there any way to remove it? I physically can remove it, but it has a lip for the passenger seat to be secured and without it the seat jiggles all around. Here is a picture getting the basic idea of what I want:

I tried to do a search online but couldn't find any after market parts that will eliminate it, nor would I want to do metal working since it would look ugly.

And on the question of safety, none of my passengers ever use that.

----------------

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

TheFonz posted:

I find it to be useful as poo poo when I'm loading the bike on and unloading the bike off my rearstand.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm not gonna remove it now, thanks.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Nevermind, I found the metal piece that fits in this box full of parts the original owner gave me.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, I recommend you just push it the hell over as soon as you get it. No use worrying about when it's going to get it's first scratch. Seriously, though - I'd had mine for something like two days before losing my balance backing out of a parking space and setting it down. I don't think anyone's first bike stays pretty long; the scratches are like fingerprints - that's how you can tell which one is yours.

Mine was purchased in 2005 by the original owner, had it for 2 months so far, and not a single scratch.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Christobevii3 posted:

How hard is it to restrict the sv650 to 33hp for beginning use?

Very easy. Just don't throttle it too hard.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I just looked up UK law and now I know why people are restricting their bikes and such, I thought people were just scared of getting a too powerful bike.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ranathari posted:

I think the law's a great idea because it does stop a lot of idiots from doing their test and jumping straight on a litrebike but it's not perfect. The worst riders I've known generally tend to do DAS, which lets them jump on a litrebike right after a 3-day course with no previous riding experience and I do think that needs to change. Having spent the last year and a half on a 33hp SV with two years on a CBR125 before that, it's taught me a lot about the process of riding so when I step up to a more powerful bike, there's less I've got to get used to.

I wonder what would happen to fatality rates in the US if a similar law existed?

Is there a correlation between ccs and fatality rates in any published studies? I know sport bikes in general have higher fatality rates per vehicle.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Laws for how you modify your bike are retarded here in the US. I finally got a ticket for my illegal pipes, plus a few other marks for turn signals and headlights. Just gave the ticket to a friend who knows a police officer, and he signed it off without looking at my bike.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

I know where the battery is :) I've jumped it before.

How do I remove it without electrocuting myself?

You can literally grab both the positive and the negative parts with wet fingers and you wont get anything more than a tingling sensation.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

http://tinyurl.com/cajw3w first result.

quote:

If a normal healthy person (without a pacemaker) touches the two terminals of a 12 volt car battery while this battery is disconnected and away from the car there is absolutely no chance that you will be injured. If there is a particularly good connection and your hands are wet you might feel a tingle.

I was once challenged over this statement, and so sure was I of my facts that I demonstrated. I didn't feel anything.

As an absolutely worst case scenario with an extremely good contact 17 volts might, in extreme circumstances, be enough. Not twelve. 30 volts is used in industry as a safe limit.

When the battery is in the car however, it may be close to the coil and sparkplugs which carry a potential of thousands of volts - so be careful.
Also, it may not be too difficult to touch metal against a +ve side of the circuit and the -ve side (the car body is connected to one terminal) - that would cause a current big enough to melt metal.

But if the current is travelling soley through a reasonable amount of you at some point in the circuit, your resistance to current is too high to generate a dangerous current with only twelve volts.

So if the bike is turned on you may wanna be careful.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 19, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I'm trying to find the offset bracket that goes between the frame and the lower fairing, and allows me to mount the frame sliders. When I high sided I completely split the thing in half, and was easily able to bondo my fairing together. But I haven't been able to find this bracket anywhere. I bought some frame sliders and it turned out to only have the pucks, not the offset bracket. Does anyone know where I can find this thing?

The left circle is the bracket.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dietcokefiend posted:

Odd I would have thought my i4 might have stronger engine braking than a twin. Are we talking "drat my butt is slipping forward more than I would like" or "holy poo poo gently caress I am over the front tire i am going to die ahhh" if your hand slips off the throttle in top gear at highway speeds.

It's like slamming on the rear brakes without losing traction...most of the time.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

MourningGlory posted:

When my bike is at normal operating temp, there's really just a quick little popping sensation when I shift from neutral to first. If the bike is dead cold, the noise is a bit louder and the bike does a tiny jump. No big deal in either case, though.

Try holding the clutch in for longer, then shifting to first. From what I heard is that a sprocket inside the Transmission is spinning when the clutch is engaged in Neutral, and shifting to first stops it really quick. On higher performance bikes this sprocket is much larger and causes the bike to jolt.

Holding the clutch in longer, for around 10 seconds, reduces the jolt significantly.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

MourningGlory posted:

I'm still on the factory tires (whatever Suzuki put on the 07's) and the rear is starting to show a square profile. So I'm starting to look into new tires for both ends. I'm looking for something that has good grip, wet and dry. Tread life isn't much of a concern--I ride frequently, but I don't actually put all that many miles on the bike, maybe a couple hundred per week. So if the tires last only 3000-4000 miles, that's fine. Price isn't too big of a deal either. Cheaper is always better of course, but I will gladly spend the extra money for high quality stuff.
Also, I am starting to corner much more aggressively and I would like a tire that feels very stable and handles predictably when leaned way over. The bike never sees the track. Street only.

There seem to be a shitload of sport tires on the market and I really know nothing about any of them. Are there any particular models I should be looking at?

Bridgestone BT16s are amazing. I've never slipped in the dry on them in turns, even scraping my footpegs at 80mph. I also over inflated them, reducing my traction even more. Had I properly inflated them I would have more traction over painted surfaces and in the rain.

My friend uses Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs, which are actually the same as the Bridgestone, although there is a slight difference noticable if you do track riding. The price difference for my bike was $50 though between the two due to "currency conversion" (Bridgestone is Japanese, Michelin is French)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

What the hell? There is absolutely a difference between the Bridgestones and the Michelins.

Such as?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dietcokefiend posted:

HID lighting is the best thing EVER!

Hell yea. :rock:

My SV-1000-S has two of them. Friends on their commute say I blind them in their mirrors in the middle of the day. :O

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Zenaida posted:

I need some turn signals for a gen one S-model. I'd prefer stockers, but whatever's clever. Also if anyone has a silver right side fairing...

edit: thermald (at) gmail.com

I got 2 or 3 stock bulky ones (Suzuki SV-1000-S 2005), plus 2 micro arrows. Email sent.

Although if I were you I would go with Motrax LED turn signals. Holy crap are they bright and they use less power.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 10, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Does anyone have comparison videos of different SV exhausts?

dietcokefiend posted:

Just got back from my first ride with the stock exhaust. It sound like a can of angry bees and a mixture of rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I think it is hilarious and awesome. Sooooo loving quiet not compared to what it was before. I love it.

There's also a definite noticeable difference in performance between the slip on Yoshimura and stock exhaust.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 19, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dietcokefiend posted:

Ok time for some HID pictures of the XE7 system on my 2007 SV650

Dark street, a few street lights every few hundred feet, that is what is casting my shadow. I am also on an incline right in that spot, where it levels off about where the 2nd house is that is lit up, part of the reason why the high is so high. Low cutoff is still excellent though, which you can see doesnt even light up past the grass level on that persons house. Exposure on the camera is locked to make all pictures on equal terms, but figure slightly less bright than as shown.

These dont really do it justice though when you are talking about a two lane highway that is perfectly level. poo poo is lit-up for a LONG ways away. If I can find a safe spot to take that picture I will, but for now you get shots at the end of my driveway.

They make HIDs in a yellowish color? I thought they only came in white and down the spectrum to purple. These are my HIDs and they're the same brightness as yours in your pictures.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Coredump posted:

Hahaha you put hid bulbs in stock reflectors. And by hahaha I mean dammit man you're blinding yourself and everyone else.

A more lit up road makes myself blind? :confused:

Also I didn't put it in. Both only cost me $100 since one of the high beam bulbs was damaged and a friend of mine installed them. The stock reflectors work fine and I can stare at the light directly from an angle slightly higher than the bulb, and even stare directly at the bulb. The top of the reflecter is bright as hell though and when I look from even level or lower it hurts my eyes. So I blind people a lot during the day cause of my wheelies. :P

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 10, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Was this a good deal, I just got an email about it and bidded on it immediatly. Won it for $37

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260470184478

Everything seen in this was included. I smashed up my bike good on a turn and bent the brake lever and tore the foot peg off.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Sure, if you're looking for a 2007 SV650 rear brake set. The peg is probably slightly bent, if you're looking for functional it'll be fine. I dunno if that lever will be fixable without it cracking.

ITEM SOLD IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION NO DAMAGE

Also the brake pedal looks straight in that shot. Cool thing about SVs is parts are pretty standard across both 650s and 1000s, along with years 03-09

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

benwards posted:

I recently bought a naked 05 SV650 and I've been riding it to work every day since. It's at about 17k miles (bought it at 16k), and I have no maintenance history, though I know the oil is clean, etc.

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a funky rattle that I can't hear so much as feel through the foot pegs and the soles of my boots. It comes on around 3-4k rpm, or during the friction zone as I begin engine breaking. Could this be due to a loose chain? I'm a maintenance noob, but the chain does feel like it's got a fair bit of play in it.

One way or another I'm planning on taking it in for a checkup next week anyway, since I'm sure it's overdue, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight before I take it to a mechanic.

Had the same problem. Soon as I changed the oil it went away.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
On my sv 1000 I replaced both the handlebars, but now I can't get the triple clamp (not the main one underneath, the top cover one) to get on all the way. It may be because the forks are slightly bent, but I was told by someone that the fasteners may have been jolted in the high speed crash and that if I just loosen all the bolts and screws, then re-tighten them back up everything will re-align. Is this true, has anyone ever heard or done this?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Thanks, and I got one more question:

How do I properly align the handlebars? Any tools or techniques that can be recommended? I of course need to have both sides the exact same height and angle.

And, is there a recommended angle and height? I want the most lean forward, in control, racing body position (I've been doing it so long I feel more comfortable than sitting up).

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

SVs often get water in the front cylinder spark plug. Check to see if that's what happened. People will rig up little plug guards to avoid it. Pull the part that attaches to the plug (why can't I think of it's name) and see if there's any moisture, if there is, it was grounding out there.

My sister's SV 650 didn't even have a part covering the hole!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Would an SV 650 2004 sub frame fit an SV 1000 2005?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I actually just called the dealership after my mom said "Call the dealer". They said yes, but then I asked them how they knew. They said they have a computer to cross reference it.

I guess I'll take detailed pictures of my sub frame and compared it to the one online.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

They don't. Different part numbers and the parts are visually physically different.

You could make it work, but it'd probably be a lot more time and effort than it's worth.

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv650-2cs-2004/o/m6707
http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv1000s-2005/o/m9775

OH MY GOD I love you for giving me that site! I've been looking for a site with schematics for a while!!!!!!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Here's a comparison:

The only thing that looks wrong is a bracket that isn't present is a bracket with 4 screws on the right side, but in this picture I don't see any bracket or anything mounted to it:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Notice the longer lower assembly on one of them. That's going to be a problem.

Trust me, just buy the correct part. Otherwise you're going to have a bitch of a time fitting it on there. If you don't have the right subframe, everything else isn't going to fit right. A half an inch of bend in a subframe that's correct for the bike can make things a bitch and a half to fit and get looking decent, the wrong subframe is going to be a shitload of work.

ah ok.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I am planning to intergrate my turn signals. However on the front I'm indecisive. I was thinking of replacing the blue LED lights, in the headlight assembly, with yellow LEDs that flashed. However, the ambient blue color is really nice and I don't want to lose that. So instead I was thinking about making a relay that kept the light on, but flashed it when the turn signals came on. However that would probably not be viisble enough.

My question is: Is there a way to have two colors in the same part of the headlight assembly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

I think I get like 38 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions on how to get better? Not really sure...

That's pretty impressive, I get 25 on mine.

• Locked thread