Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Hey guys. Whenever I start up my 2001 SV on a hill, it gives me a nice, solid, loud click as the engine turns over. Normal? This seems to coincide with the oil pressure light going off, but it never does this on level ground. Only when pointed uphill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Loosened my clutch cable at both ends, took it out of the lever, and lubed it with a pressure cable luber. Reinstalled and adjusted back to correct engagement - BUT!

Now, while rolling, the clutch makes a rapid ticking noise that varies directly with speed. It does this in any gear and in neutral, with the engine on or off. Anybody experienced this before or have any ideas?

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Fixed it! Not sure what was going on, but I re-adjusted it from scratch and cleaned/lubed the chain. One of those did the trick.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Anybody else get false neutrals particularly between 4th - 5th gear? The first time I thought I had just wimped out on the shift, second and third times, not so much. The oil had about 3,000 miles on it when this happened, I just changed it so we'll see if that helps.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I paid $2800 in Atlanta for a nearly-perfect 2001 with 8,000 miles. Brand new tires, brand new chain and sprockets, frame sliders, and I even liked the color. This was right at the end of last winter.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Rear's easy, front can be annoying but the spark plug removal tool in the toolkit makes it easier. Unbolt the horn, unbolt the radiator bottom bolt, pop out the grommets on the sides holding the fairing to the sides of the radiator, and swing the radiator upwards to get enough clearance.

I changed my plugs at 10k and they looked fine to me, but better safe than sorry.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Had my first trackday this past weekend, on my '01 SVS! It was at Nashville Superspeedway, on the infield road course, and it was an absolute blast. Z3N is 100% right every time he mentions trackdays being addicting; it's the most fun I've had on a bike since I started riding.

We had 8 people in our novice group, ranging from an older Ninja 250 to a brand new Ducati 1098S. The instructors were both WERA racers and were incredibly knowledgeable and friendly, and I feel like I made huge strides in my riding skill.

If anyone is considering taking their SV to a track, consider your decision made. The SV performed admirably and ran between 7 and 10k RPM all day without a single cough or complaint. I was the only stock SV rider there, but some of the expert riders had race-prepped SV's that sounded vicious.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Took my SV out for a spin today, because the weather in east TN got above 40 and I couldn't stand it any more.
Looks like my winterization was successful. Took a minute to crank (but I didn't mind, since I wanted to be sure of full system oil pressure before it fired) but then it ran just like normal.
I missed that V-twin sound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008

benwards posted:

I'm trying to decide between holding out for an FI sv650, or grabbing one of the slightly cheaper carbureted versions.

Can anyone attest to the merits of one or the other? Assuming both bikes have similar miles and have been well-cared for, which would you choose, and why?

I think the usual response to this on SVrider is get the one that looks coolest to you. The biggest difference between the two is fuel injection, which just makes cold start-up a little easier.

If you plan on upgrading your SV heavily, keep in mind that the crankshaft on the second-generation bike is more prone to breaking. The first generation bikes, with the "stronger" crank, should hold up a little better to upgrading. However, unless you're really dumping cash into the engine, this shouldn't be an issue.

As far as intangible qualifications are concerned, I have heard on occasion that the first gen "handles" better.

Either way, you're getting a great bike!

• Locked thread