Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
2003 SV650s, all stock except the ZG double-bubble in dark smoke, and the flushmount blinkers. Bought it last February from some guy who said he was "too afraid to ride it" and that his buddies' CBR600RR was "Way easier to ride" :lol: Just needed new tires on the front and rear, 5-year-old Dunlops are scary as hell.

I bought it with 8200 on the clock, it's got about 13,600 or so now. Still riding it to class on "nice" mornings, even though it's winter and they're supposedly taking away the motorcycle parking on campus soon :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I have very nearly doubled the mileage on my '03 SVs since I bought it last spring. I rolled over 15k miles yesterday on the way back home, and I bought it with around 8k. I checked the valves this winter at around 13.5k, and at 15k tonight I did an oil change, plug change, checked and adjusted the clutch and chain, and gave it a wash.

Last night when I got back, my chain seemed like it had way too much play, but when I checked it today the slack was 25mm, exactly perfect for the manual's 20-30mm spec. I did have my weekend camping gear loaded on the bike, which is saddlebags, a tail bag, tank bag, sleeping bag, and my tent, a total of about 30-35lbs of gear in addition to me (150lbs). The chain was in good shape when I lubed it last week, no binding links, rust, etc. Any ideas? I expect at 15k I'm getting close to a chain replacement, and I'll definitely be due by the end of summer since I expect another 6-8k on the bike by then. Thanks!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I didn't have to drain the coolant to check my front, I just popped the radiator mounting bolt out and held it forward with a bungie strap. Made plenty of space :) This was on an '03 though, I forget what year you have. Good luck!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
So as far as parts interchanges go for Suzuki's, how about forks for an '03 SV650S? I've had a bit of a tumble this weekend, and I'm afraid I'll be needing a pair of forks, radiator, and front plastics (plastics being last on my list of priorities).

I've sorta-kinda hunted around, but just got back with the bike in a truck, and have to get it unloaded now. Will be posting details in the Crash Reports thread later. Thanks in advance :)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Mine is more of a commuter, so I think the GSXR fork swap is a bit overkill. I'll just be keeping an eye out for a gen2 SVS front end for a while then :)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Any recommendations for front/rear pads on an '03 SVS? I'm due for a set here in the next couple months. Bike sees mostly commuting duty, so something that's gentle on the rotors is a plus.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My '03 SVS gets around 45-50mpg if I'm cruising at 70-75 on the interstate. If I'm riding smaller highways, and only doing 55-60, I've seen around 60mpg with just myself and a small backpack/tank bag. I'm considering changing the sprocket sizes with my next chain to drop the RPMs a bit at interstate speeds though.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

`Nemesis posted:

I'm a bad bike owner.

Last fall I never winterized my 04 SV650... it sat in a garage with the battery in place, a half tank of gas, and no sta-bil or anything like that.

This spring I charged the battery, changed the oil, and it started right up like it hadn't even been an hour since I last rode.

I dunno if that's cause FI kicks rear end or just dumb luck, but I was pretty happy.

This is exactly how my '03 gets "winterized". I usually park it in late Oct or early Nov with a full tank of gas, and then change the oil in March before I start riding again. Never gives me any trouble at all!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Mylers did a good job of repairing and straightening my radiator after a drop last summer. They have really quick turnaround as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My roommate is currently looking at an '05 SV650S, bright yellow, with ~52,000 miles on it. I understand this is "high" mileage for a bike, but the seller is the original owner, send him a list of every single piece of maintenance he's ever done on it (dozens of oil changes, at least one set of tires yearly, I believe 2 chain/sprocket replacements, two valve checks/adjustments, the last one at 50k, front springs and a rear shock, and one "wiring short"). Has the lower fairing kit, quite a few small scuffs and a large rub-through from a Givi rack on the tail section.

He offered the guy $2k, and the seller agreed. However, a friend of his father is telling him to run far away, saying that the guy was obviously put a lot of "sportbike riding" miles on it, and huge problems are sure to be popping up in the future. I've got an '03 SVS, and while it has about half the miles (25k when I put it away in November, in MN), I don't see 10k/yr being out of line, especially since the seller seems to have been a huge touring rider. He's selling it because he just bought a VFR, so from talking with the guy, he doesn't sound like your typical Gixxer Stunta, which is what his father's friend seems to be implying.

What say you, CA? I told my roommate if he doesn't buy it, I'd have to think about it, and then dump my '03 in the spring :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That's pretty much what my argument has been. He'd been looking at mostly older bikes, I told him with his level of mechanical expertise, he'd be much happier with a more modern, fuel injected, better-maintained bike, even with more miles. He's been shopping for and asking advice about gear, and getting signed up for the MSF in the spring as well. I get the feeling his father's friend saw something with a full-fairing kit and immediately thought "sportbike, oh no!".

IF my roommate even got this bike up to 75k in a few years, I'd be amazed. He wants something to commute around town with, and take the occasional trips back home or to the Minneapolis-St Paul metro, both of which are two and a half hours or an hour and a half away. Even something like wheel bearings, head bearings, etc are easy enough for him to learn how to do, and he's got access to all the tools and help he might need. I just don't want him to spend $1k on a ragged-out old Ninja or something, and them have to ask me a ton of questions or spend a lot of time tinkering, rather than riding.

• Locked thread