Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah that's very true. It's not a lemon, I'm just not mechanically knowledgeable enough to do preventative maintenance.

I think I'm going to figure out how to pull the spark plugs out and then put dielectric grease on the spark plugs to prevent it from grounding out so much. A poster on svrider.com suggested putting silicone grease on the sparkplug hole to prevent water from getting in. Is that safe?

Honestly, I love my sv so much, just getting ready for some stability in it's life.

So here's a question. Should I get a new battery?

Today, after it had rained for a few hours, I got on the bike and tried to start it. The engine just never would kick over. Perhaps I flooded the engine with gas and having the choke on. Not sure. I do know that I have had to jump the battery several times from my truck(not running!!!) At one point i left the bike sitting for about a month without starting it leading it to need a jump when I got back.

Is that just standard for batteries, or should I go ahead and replace it? And...is that difficult? Just unscrew the old battery and screw in the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

ranathari posted:

Replacing the battery just involves removing a few bolts and lifting the seat off; it's a doddle.

I know where the battery is :) I've jumped it before.

How do I remove it without electrocuting myself?

I guess I need to buy a battery tender too!

Which do ya'll recommend?
I see lots of Battery Tender Junior's at dealerships. Is that the defacto?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Jack the Smack posted:

You can literally grab both the positive and the negative parts with wet fingers and you wont get anything more than a tingling sensation.

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey dudes. Need some help.

Whenever I get my bike up to a constant 85mph, which is around 6 grand rpm, it'll go for a minute or two and then lose power all of a sudden. Then when my heart is good and racing it lets out this HUGE backfire and then goes right back to having all throttle control.

Ideas?

Seems to happen with the bike around 6grand in any gear.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

TheUltimateCool posted:

Hey guys. Whenever I start up my 2001 SV on a hill, it gives me a nice, solid, loud click as the engine turns over. Normal? This seems to coincide with the oil pressure light going off, but it never does this on level ground. Only when pointed uphill.

Clarify? The light turns on, or the light turns off?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What do you have right now? Nothing?

I like sv's. I do not like that bike. Honestly though, those things mentioned would probably be the only thing wrong with it.

Replacing that stuff could be fun with the help of a motorcycle buddy!

real edit: but salvage??? how hard is that going to be to gently caress with?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
LOL.

Have you looked at first gens?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dietcokefiend posted:

In stock engine configurations are there any problems or is it just when you start pushing it?

There is a reason so many people race sv's. I had full throttle for 2 HOURS yesterday and it's still rocking :). (107mph indicated LOLZ)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah was rocking some saddlebags like in the sa relay posts.

Okay well that opened up a whole can of worms about how well my SV is doing. I'm taking it to a guy my friends recommended to have my fork seals done, maybe I'll have him do an entire inspection here.

My bike needs a LOT of love to get back to stock working condition, poor thing.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did some things to the SV today.

1) Vortex gas cap and base
2) MOTOSLIDERS LOL
3) New oil and oil filter!

Next project is new chain, sprocket, new perch for the clutch and....about a billion other things.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MourningGlory posted:

Has anyone put hard panniers/saddlebags on their 2nd gen SV? I want to do some touring and I'm just looking for input from anyone that may have already slogged through the options.

If it matters, my exhaust is stock and any aftermarket pipe I might put on the bike will stay in the stock location.

MourningGlory posted:

Has anyone put hard panniers/saddlebags on their 2nd gen SV? I want to do some touring and I'm just looking for input from anyone that may have already slogged through the options.

If it matters, my exhaust is stock and any aftermarket pipe I might put on the bike will stay in the stock location.

I use cortech sport touring saddlebags. If you look in the SA relay posts you can see them on my sv.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well, I've been thinking about it. I'm going to convert my sv650s into an sv650N

Going to need some help with headlight decisions and the like. GET READY EVERYBODY :D

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What are you going to replace it with?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dude, I paid 2000 for my 2001 sv650S. It had a poo poo load of problems when I bought it but I didn't know it. I brought an experienced rider around and even HE didn't see all the problems it had.

Whenever somebody sells their used bike, they're baiscally getting rid of their "problems."

I have put way more than a grand and a half just trying to get the drat thing into proper condition.

New tires, chains, fairings, oil, headlights, fairings etc etc etc

List goes on.

HOWEVER, my bike has nearly 30,000 miles on it(I added 8 k of that on my own suck it :) )

So, what am I trying to say?

This: I wish I had gone with a relatively better condition bike, for a bit more expense. I love the fact I've learned so much about my bike by having it fall apart when I travel the world(mainly texas) but god drat if it isn't frustrating sometimes.

i dunno whatever

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

ranathari posted:

No, this is you buying a bike that needed a lot of work. Pretty much everything in your list of replacements should have been obvious from an inspection or a test-ride, especially tyres and chains.

I don't understand why you led the sentence off with "No."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It's starting to cool down here in Texas, time to get back on my bike :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yessir! Just got my pilot's license and now I'm able to get back on the bike for any length of time :D

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

blugu64 posted:

So how much is it going to cost us to load the bikes in the back and fly out to some random Caribbean island and ride around for a week?

We're going to need a bigger plane hahaha

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
HEY DANGERZ WHATS THAT OTHER THING IN YOUR GARAGE YOU BIG JERK

just kidding man hope youre doing awesome the SV looks great :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hello. Today I changed my oil and filter on my sv. Stupid easy, just never had a oil pan before haha.

Next up, changing a front tire that has at least 15,000 miles on it

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No :( Felt like I abandoned Sweet Vee for the summer after I had LASIK.

It was just so god damned hot here in Texas for some reason. I just wasn't used to riding for 2 hours in HOT.

Now, minus 50 F travelling I could do in a heartbeat, for some stupid reason.....

Thanks for caring about me friends :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Tsaven Nava posted:

Man, where were you that it was -50? :envy:

gently caress man, I didn't mean MINUS 50...I meant anything below 50.

God I feel like a pansy now

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay!!! I need a new tire and then im on the way

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Christ I've been reading through the first few pages of this thread....man I was a complete newb at motorcycles.

I still am a complete newb at motorcycles, but in a less obvious way ;)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Am I dumb for thinking the oil pan is what goes under the bike and collects the oil?

What's the oil pan??

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think I get like 38 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions on how to get better? Not really sure...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My bike is a 2001...10 years old I'm sure it's not the most fuel efficient thing anymore

Wait, are we complaining about anything 30+ in this economy?? :D

Expect a post soon about a new front tire. I'm pretty sure mine in its current incarnation is TERRIBLE.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yay more SV people :)

I love my bike, but I really need to take it to the shop and have it worked on.

I don't think I'll ever part ways with this bike, and I really can't see replacing it if anything happened.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Great looking bike!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Looks great Shanchezz.

Echo, give us a step by step when you install the veypour. I'm curious how hard it is.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay hey it's time to get my sv650s looking good again!

I changed the oil yesterday. Need to do that more often.

Anyway, I have a leaky fork seal that has existed on the bike ever since I bought it 2 years ago.

What's a good price to have a shop do it for me? OR should I just buy some replacement front forks you whackos are talking about?

Help me out here with some links and prices goons.

ALSO IM GONNA SAW OUT THAT STUPID FENDER

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
god damnit somebody tell me whether to get my forks done or get new suspensions.sd.fas.df.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
link to a real suspension

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I replaced the mirrors once. Got some cheapy banana leaf style mirrors.

They sucked too after a while and I put the stockers back on.

The devil you know.....

It's a lot easier to tuck in your elbows when you need to see than take off the fairings and gently caress with it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I know nothing about motorcycles.

That being said. Do you know where the solenoid is? Sometimes if you push the starter just right the solenoid freezes if it doesn't go through its motion all the way.

Take a wrench or bar or something and tap the solenoid a couple times and try restarting it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I removed my rear wheel.

OH GOD THE REAR WHEEL IS OFF HOW DO I PUT IT BACK ON

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How hard was putting in the zx6r shock? Did you have to fabricate anything to make it fit?

I like turning wrenches but I'm not exactly a fabricator.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

GanjamonII posted:

The shock I got was from an 08-09 and it bolts in. The only thing you need to do is cut the battery box.

I have a 2001sv650s, what about you?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Went to start it up the other morning. Helmet on, gloves on, earplugs in(gently caress you I don't care), key in the ignition...clutch in, kickstand up..... START

oh hay i dont hear a rumbling from my engine.

OH HAY MY ENGINE ISN'T STARTING

OH HAY MY STARTER ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO MOVE

OH GOD MY BUTTON DOES NOTHING AND MY LIGHTS DON'T EVEN DIM WHEN TRYING TO START IT?!??!

i have hit the starter and the solenoid (that green electrical box right?) with a wrench.

This has not helped the problem :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

BlackMK4 posted:

...is the killswitch on? :v:

reporting this post

yes it's set to RUN

• Locked thread