Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Captain Apollo posted:

Cool. Is that black screw cased in a plastic housing? I didn't think it would be that one because its so easily flexible. I'll give her a try later.

After running around for an hour today, stalling at low rpms, I tried to start her up after about a 3 hour rest.

She barely starts, after a couple unsuccessful tries. Then when she does start and I try to put her in first, the engine grabs and the clutch seems to engage even though I'm holding it all the way down. Then it stalls out completely.

I'm kinda hoping I didn't get really screwed on this bike. I'm sure I just need to clean the carbs or blah blah blah but I'd really just like to start riding.

Minor projects are awesome, but only when I know what to do/how to figure it out! :D

Can anybody help me diagnose my bike?

So you were able to ride it around just fine for a few hours? It sounds like your battery is screwed up. Before you go tearing into the carbs I would have the battery tested. Carbs are usually a work or don't work situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Try Allied insurance, they have good rates for my junk.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ola posted:

I'm considering an SV 1000 as my next bike, so I have a few dumb questions.

1. I might import one from England to save some money (and better choice), can the speedo be reconfigured from mph to kph easily? Or maybe they use furlongs per fortnight over there, and the rider sits on the other side.

2. Is it true that medieval torture is preferable to adjusting the valves?

3. Can you remove the pillion seat and click some luggage solution in its place? I would definitely need a full luggage solution but for shorter trips it would be nice with something small and practical, but I guess a strapped soft bag would work just fine.

Consider the Aprilia Falco or the Honda Superhawk as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ola posted:

Neither is available as a naked version with fairly upright seating :)

Don't understand why anyone would choose naked over half fairing except purely for aesthetics. At any rate, there is the Tuono or they actually made a streetfighter Falco from the factory.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you are looking to stiffen the rear and want to do it on a bit of a budget you could pick one of the many shocks you can swap into the bike and buy a heaver spring for that shock from racetech or whomever. Figure $50 for the shock on ebay and $100 for the shock spring - lots cheaper than a penske/ohlins.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

To give you another used market find, I got naked 07 sv650 with ABS, HID projector lighting, 3/4 Jardine exhaust system and about 11k for 4,200.

If you havent already, watch the for sale section on svrider.com for a few weeks. out of the blue I checked on it and found my baby, you can too!

P.S. Just swapped back to my stock exhaust system, someone buy this Jardine thing. I hate low toned thumping exhausts. I prefer the stock stealthy style :)

You have lost your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Get a decent battery - before you try to diagnose anything you need a good battery.

• Locked thread