Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm going to be starting to ride in the very near future, and it seems the general consensus is that these are good to start on, and I like the way the naked ones look. Is this accurate or am I going to kill myself? Note I'm a big person at 6'1" 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just bought this...

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

(lovely iPhone picture. It won't be delivered till Friday most likely.)

2007 SV650 with ~4800 miles. Other than a couple small scratches in the paint, it looks nearly brand new.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

Has anyone put hard panniers/saddlebags on their 2nd gen SV? I want to do some touring and I'm just looking for input from anyone that may have already slogged through the options.

If it matters, my exhaust is stock and any aftermarket pipe I might put on the bike will stay in the stock location.
If you go over to svrider.com there's an entire touring forum full of pictures and discussion on the options. The consensus seems to be that the Givi setup is probably the best, but not really worth the price increase over the SW Motech setup (which can use the Givi luggage).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

Thanks for the information. I'll poke around on svrider and see what comes up. I guess I'm spoiled by SA. Reading other forums is painful at times.
I'm actually impressed with that forum. The people seem genuinely friendly and helpful and their typing is mostly pretty good. They also seem to be largely against acting like an idiot on your bike, too, which is always a good thing. It's definitely above the usual AOL speak bullshit at most forums.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 07 is about $450/year for full coverage through State Farm in NoVa.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As I've mentioned before, my 07 SV is $430 through State Farm for full coverage in an area with many very nice cars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The SVRider people seem to like the greatdaytoride.com guy's work on their seats. Doing his thing on the rider seat is something like $70 plus shipping through him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered a set, too. I'm going to hold off installing until I get some springs and shock since I am a huge fatty. Not 300+ but with gear and some luggage, could hit that easy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks for the Napoleon write-up. I've been considering some barends (barens?) myself, since I'm lucky if half the stock mirrors are useful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone know where I can get a cover for the toolbox slot on a 2nd gen cheaply? I came home from riding today and noticed that it's gone. The toolkit wedges in pretty tightly, but I'm not sure I'd really want to go too far with it like that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Wait my 2nd gen has a toolbox cover? I thought the pouch just gets tossed in under the seat?
Well, *mine* has a toolbox cover. Or had, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

I decided that instead of a Ninja 500, I'm gonna hunt down a SV650. I found one a hour away from me. "Garage-kept, 7,500 miles, naked 2002 yellow-colored SV, no stuntas or tipovers. Has clean undertail (removed ugly stock mud flap) and two sets of mirrors, small tinted wind screen and a grab rail."

Asking price is $3,200. Looks clean and nice from the pictures. I'm hopefully seeing it in person soon.

What should I look for when looking at an used SV to buy?

Is the price good?
Want my 07?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yeah, first valve check is 6k miles. I agree that it's overpriced.

My 2007 manual says first valve check is 14,500 miles or 48 months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had issues getting it into first one time when I stopped to ask where I was and how to find my way home. Took me a minute to remember that I just needed to rock it back and forth and shift down through the gears.
The other way to get it into gear when this happens is to lightly press down on the shifter and lightly let off the clutch. It should pop right in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Met up with a bunch of the guys from SVRider for a maintenance day. Really friendly crew!

Bunch of girl bikes ITT

I didn't have anything to do, so I put some air in my tires and stuck my tax sticker on the fork. Whee.

Naturally, on the way back, my clutch started binding so I gotta figure that out tomorrow.

EDIT: Loosened the bolt for the lever and it works fine now.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 13, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Where can I get a flyscreen like the ones on the 05+ 650n for my 03?
I never see them being sold in a part out or even mentioned anywhere

Oneidasuzuki.com has all the parts (which means any Zuki dealer can get them for you). Search for SV650 headlamp and they're all there, alhough not necessarily in your bike's color and not very cheap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Installing clip-ons seems pretty painless provided you're okay with a couple holes in the top triple. Only thing you need to worry about is the cables and hoses being too long, but it's not really a big deal. The other alternative is swapping in clubman bars which is considerably cheaper and gives a very similar riding position.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Would an SV 650 2004 sub frame fit an SV 1000 2005?
Pretty sure no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The lower members on the 1000 look to be longer, as well. The 650 might fit, but nothing will fit right, if that's the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Er, what hydraulic clutch?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It doesn't matter as much on Gladiuses since the exhaust is running through a cat, anyway.

xkem posted:

how the heck do I remove that stupid tail light crap from the rear end of my gladius 09?

Buy one of these:
http://www.evotech-performance.com/acatalog/info_7276.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds like a problem with the gauges more than anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Typik posted:

Either way I decided i'm just going to buy a Ninja 500 or 250 first and just work my way up. Sounds good right? I get my bike sooner, and can keep riding while saving up the money to upgrade again later down the road.
Good plan. You'll likely be able to resell the Ninja for what you paid or more. Not so much with a Gladius.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would go on SVRider and see if there's anyone parting out a bike.

The parts fiche shows the two sides as separate parts, although BikeBandit is not giving me a good idea of which part exactly you'd want.

http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m6706sch500091

Bear in mind that 03 models can only use 03 parts unless you completely swap out the subframe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Binge posted:

It's a 2003, 10k miles for 3300 bucks, and no crashes.
It would be highly irresponsible because that's pretty overpriced. You could get a much newer one for not a whole lot more without too much effort, unless you're in one of those areas with no bike market at all. In which case, fly and ride.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

Should I get the Clymer manual for my SV650s, or is there a superior resource for repair/maintenance information?
I'm not sure it's cool to post links here, but a Google search for "SV650 Factory Service Manual PDF" or something similar will get you want. Unless you want a paper one, in which case, order the FSM from somewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

a built SV500
A what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

Is it necessary to use Suzuki oil filters on the SV650, or can I buy the Wix equivalent (51359) and call it a day?
While I don't if that specific filter will work, there's definitely no need to use OEM filters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2nd gen SVSes had the reservoir separate from the master cylinder like that. I imagine it was the same for first gen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Post it on Craigslist. I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere that can make use of 3 gallons of premix.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love what people are doing to Gladiuseseseses. There's some really great examples over at SVR, which is great because it looks awful stock.

How much did you sell the silver pants for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From everything I hear, they make better touring bikes, but not as good sport bikes since they're more powerful, but also bigger and heavier. Basically the same issues people have on the V-Strom vs. the Wee-Strom. (Not that they're bad bikes.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reassembly is reverse of disassembly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, unless she is enormous, .90 springs are going to be way too stiff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got a Sargent on my VFR and it's amazing. I can't really comment on the SV ones, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You may want to try out clubman bars before swapping to clipons. They're almost the same position and a lot cheaper.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If, on a scale of 1-10, changing oil is 1, that is a 0.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

Wow, the local mechanic in DC quoted me $90 per tire if I brought the tires along with me (wheels still attached to the bike). Good thing I decided to hold off for a bit, going to shop around for something cheaper now.

Anyone have any suggestions for the Washington, DC area?
There's a bunch of dudes out in Bowie from SVR who do it pretty regularly if you make yourself known in the MD thread (you should do this if you have an SV, anyway, since they're a pretty chill crew and will basically do a tire change whenever you need and also do maintenance days every six weeks or so). Otherwise, all the shops I know of are horribly expensive with the possible exception of this place that I've never actually been to, so I know nothing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

I've heard good things about The Motorcycle Factory down in Woodbridge, but I don't know about their pricing just yet.

BigRedCat posted:

Lemmie know what you figure out. I'm in Alexandria, so would be good to know for future reference.
Why aren't we going riding? :colbert:

• Locked thread