Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

I got a $10 multimeter off Amazon and it's been a great investment

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Size-Handheld-Digital-Multimeter-DT830B/dp/B00066ZZO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308666750&sr=8-1

only $6.50 now
I have the same one. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For the switch, check the continuity across it in both positions. Set it to 200 ohms (straight down, basically), and put a probe on either terminal. It should read 0 (or, well, anything, really) in the on position, and just have a "1. " in the off position (maybe reverse - I swear I've heard of bikes that do it opposite). I can't really help with the solenoid.

That is how it would work in my head, but I honestly don't have any idea if that's right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got the mirrors off my SV, but that's because I had taken them off before my accident.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually the first and second both need new front tires (and possibly rear) since those are the stockers on six year old bikes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Speed Four can be found cheaper, although it's not really any lighter than an SV. It is higher power, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Speaking of parts and such: let's say I find a good deal on a naked SV650, but it's a colour I'm not excited about, and/or the tank and rear plastic and such are in great shape so it'd be a waste to dick with them for a streetfighter mod. Is it practical to remove the fender, tank, rear plastic, etc. and look for someone on Craigslist or wherever who has a cosmetically damaged set thereof? Then I could spraypaint the dented/scratched tank and fender, put on some custom seat, etc. and not feel I was dicking up a pristine bike. Or is it better to just spend extra time finding a cosmetically worn bike, or just be willing to gently caress up the cosmetics of an otherwise clean bike provided I got it cheap? The last option just seems a little wasteful.
Personally, Id go for a better example, since there will likely be fewer post-crash problems. Not that a crashed one will necessarily be bad, but you never know. After selling the good parts, you'd probably break even, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is his point that he had easily removable cheap mirrors so he could take them off for track, and put them on for commuting to work?

Possibly, but more likely his point is that SV650 mirrors are terrible. If they do end up being cheapies, and you do buy it, I have a set of stock ones you can have for free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also use T6 (not sure what weight) since I got it cheap on sale awhile back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really, really, really hate those mask-looking headlight things, but it seems that the "streetfighter" crowd (read: naked SVs with a goofy headlight) seem to love them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xovaan posted:

I really want to do this and I know it's a terrible idea and that little voice in the back of my head is saying, "Xovaan, don't do that. It is a stupid idea and people will hate you" but god damnit I don't care

edit: either ride around like a women's prada handbag or dazzle camo

Why does it have wings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

What should a decent 2nd gen N go for?
$2000-3500 depending on year and such. Maybe as high as $4500 for a low-miles last year SF.

• Locked thread