Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

2004 650S, yellow. ~29k miles. I have had it since February '07 at 1000 miles.

Dunlop qualifiers (with 120/70 front)
15wt fork oil, .90 springs, with emulators
Penske 2-way
GPR damper mount and a damper that causes weave and probably needs a service
CFM rearsets
Leo Vince aluminum slipon
R6 throttle tube (must have, $10)
Stainless lines on the front
Motoslider frame sliders and swingarm spools (saved me so much money it's ridiculous)
Givi windscreen
SW-motech topcase rack for Givi 45L case
Heated grips, heated vest hookup through relay

I use it for everything although it's going to be a track/race bike next year, which explains the Frankenstein collection of track and touring bits. All it really needs is bodywork, some more safety wire and DOT race tires. Until then, it's my daily driver. I hate the rearsets for the street because they're supremely uncomfortable.

It's had a rough history: 6000 mile 10 day cross country run, several 0mph drops from maneuvering it in awkward places and falling off lovely stands. Crash on track doing "at least 60" says the guy behind me, and a 15-20mph lowside 2 weeks ago when I went from pavement to fresh parking lot sealer mid corner in the rain (I should know better). The exhaust has a scrape, the front fairing is cracked and rashed on the right but it runs like the day I got it. It's on it's third chain and probably half a dozen turn signals, one of which is currently held together with electrical tape. I almost never wash it (it'll just get dirty) and am overdue again for a valve check. They were just borderline in spec 15k ago so I'm sure they are tight right now! Recently getting 40-45mpg. It hates Baltimore pavement. Unfortunately the most action it sees now is a 25 mile commute (each way) and errand runs, or rarely a weekend afternoon 50 mile stint.

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Zenaida posted:

How do you like that topcase? What does the Givi windscreen do that the stock one doesn't? Mine has a dark smoked Puig one from the PO, I'm not really a fan, I'd kind of like to be able to see through the screen.

The topcase is awesome. I have a barebones black one (I think model E45LJ or some such) without additional lighting. It's nice to be able to lock things to the bike, especially when I want to go walk around somewhere I can throw my boots/gloves/helmet inside, cable lock my gear and be in normal clothes. Can fit a surprising amount of stuff.

The windscreen is a little taller than stock and has a curved lip. It moves the airstream around my forehead, so it's actually louder than stock (earplugs so I don't care that much), but it takes the wind off my face and neck, keeps more rain off of me, and provides a more generous "tuck" area. I had a ZG double bubble before, but I like this one better. A lot of it is to do with my helmet (exo-700): it lets in too much air in the cold through the chin, and the smallest visor opening setting normally let in a huge blast of air to my eyes which wasn't useful for venting, clearing fog, etc (I've found my Scorpion visors to fog like any other in cold, wet and foggy conditions). With this screen I can crack the visor and keep my neck and chin out of the cold. It's lightly tinted but still see through. My ZG was dark smoke and I'd never go that way again. It gives the front a more retarded look, as opposed to the nice racier look of the ZG.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

You could order them from SV Racing Parts, but Blair is a douchebag who bought Zoran's kit and then sent it to his machinist to get it copied. :rolleyes: The pictures that SV Racing Parts has of the F3 kit are actually the ones Zoran took of his kit.

That's really lame and I just lost a lot of respect for the always-pandering Blair. All hail Zoran, God of the SV.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Motosliders should be #1 on all SV! Mine has hit the ground I don't know how many times but I've never had any serious, ie radiator/frame/etc damage. Protects cosmetic stuff to some degree in low and zero speed drops.

I've tried stock, ZG double, and Givi touring screens on my SVS:

Stock: ok, IMO looks the best.
ZG: Little better wind protection. Was stupid and got tinted. Get clear windscreens if you've ever leant over the tank, ever.
Givi: Light enough tint to see through even at night, awesome wind protection, well made. Moves the air "up" to the head a little more but overall my favorite. Looks probably the worst.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Tenders are very useful, I've used a junior to recharge several dead (but still good) batteries. I think the deluxe one charges faster but the junior is fine, it takes me anywhere from a few hours to overnight to get a battery to full depending.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anyone do their own valve adjustments? My SV is going track whore and is going to need it done within the next month and a half. Last interval I checked the clearances and didn't have to do anything, but judging by how they were last time there will almost certainly be some tight ones.

If anyone has any advice on special tools I might need, shims, etc it would be appreciated. I have a service manual but the pictures and descriptions could be better, and I think I remember it actually being wrong when it was describing how to point the cams when checking clearance (I think the lobes had to be facing up and away from each other, haynes had them to be pointing down and towards, I'm pretty sure you would never have any valve clearance that way?).

Anything else I should do while I'm in there like cam chain tensioner? Probably have to do a throttle body sync? Bleh. This will probably be the last time it needs to be done but it would be nice to save $400+ or whatever a shop would want to do it all. My street bike (tuono) will need a check in a few thou, and while that motor usually doesn't need adjustment I guess it would be nice to have all the tools I need around. Why'd I have to get V-twins ;|

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ok, that's awesome.

On slipons, I like my Leo Vince, it's not really that lound and it's quiet as a mouse compared to a Tuono with full Tigcrafts. But it sounds better than stock, is soooo much lighter than the stock can and runs warm to the touch instead of burn your hand hot. Thatt will be true of any slipon though.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Tuono:

I have a "luggage rack" I made out of a spare passenger seat for my givi top box and it works great.

Switch to KPH/MPH is 3 button presses.

I don't know about valve adjust procedure, but it's 10k mile interval and they rarely need adjustment (it's cramped in there, though). No v-twin valve job is going to be nice I don't think.

It's soooooo comfy.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The stiffness of my Aprilia's front brake, and the mind-bending amazingness of the '09 R6 front brake I got to track test has convinced me to try and fix my SV brake once and for all. The symptoms:

MC squeaks, like a low pitch rubber dragging sound not a brake pad squeal sound. I'm hoping this is just the boot needing some grease.

MC spits very small amounts of brake fluid occasionally. Like a drop or 3 on the front fairing near the clipons. I'm guessing it's from the seal between the lines and the MC squirting forward, although there is never enough to trace a leak. This would also lead me to believe small amounts of air are entering the system.

Lever feel: There is a good bit of initial play. Needs a very good squeeze as opposed to the other 2 bikes, which brake loving hard with one finger and moderate pressure. I have SS lines. I know the SV MC and calipers are dated but it's very spongy. I actually adjusted my brake lever out a click in a track session because I was getting within a few mm of touching the bar.

I'm planning on greasing (or something) the rubber boot and piston, bleeding the poo poo out of it (with a syringe reverse-bleed method) and maybe tightening the brake line connection. I had problem with the stupid crush washers seating before and I'm wary of this, as the bolt is probably over torqued as it is.

The SV has a bit over 30k on it and I've never done much with the brakes besides replace pads, fluid, and change out to steel lines a while back. Hopefully this will make it nice and solid, but I've honestly never had much success with braking systems. I think it took me 2 days just to get resistance at the lever again when I replaced the lines, although I was only doing the old pump and bleed method.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely add banjo bleeding to the list, since I can't bleed near the master otherwise.

I'm not on stock pads and I'd love to get a nicer master but I want to stay superstock legal, so I have to stick with the stocker for now. SVs must feel awesome with GSX-R fronts and new brake systems!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I like the pointy look better, silver engine look better, and would definitely pay more to have FI.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Say I want to go rebuild my calipers and MC (front only) on a 2nd gen. No particular reason but the bike is 6 years old and I've never done anything with the brakes besides put in steel lines, change the pads and fluid every so often. I figure it could use it and I might get a more solid feel from the brake anyhow. I want the best I can get out of these mediocre brakes as this is my track bike and per classing reasons I'm not interested in changing the MC or calipers themselves. I've never gotten a rock solid feel from the brake as I've felt on other bikes.

I imagine it can't be too hard, but I have no idea what parts could stand to be replaced in a rebuild. There are a few things like "piston seal set" on parts diagrams and "piston/cup set" for the MC. Is this what I should be looking for? Any thing else I should do in a rebuild? I have a (crappy) haynes manual but it's not around at the moment.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yautja posted:

hay guys, any suggestions for a commuting luggage setup? I hate taking a backpack with me everywhere and want an easy removable topbox or some other lockable thing. I take a pillion sometimes so dont want it to block the pillion seat either.

to go on an 08 SV650N

cheers

I had a SW Motech rack and Givi monokey topcase. Very solid and did not block the pillion seat. I have the same setup on my Bandit now. Hardracks and locking luggage are awesome and worth the cash. The topcase was 45 liters and could fit 2 full face helmets (for reference) or generally a bunch of crap, and even stupidly overloaded feels fine while riding. If you get a plain case without lights and interior organizing straps it's cheaper. Just throw a towel in there to keep small stuff from bouncing around.

I never had a pillion on with the case though, I know the rack mounts behind the seat but it might be cramped there with a passenger and the case? Not exactly the most spacious pillion seat to begin with.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The r6 tube is a must-do, WOT is basically unusable without it, no more taking your hand off to adjust throttle position. You don't lose any fine tune control.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It's the opposite of the bandits!

The secret big brother of the 650 is the TLR.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

NYC sucks for bikes (I live here too). Desirable bikes are snatched up pretty efficiently here, although desirable is usually tilted towards the kind of bikes twat thieves want to ride and not dollar value (I had my WRX with a bigass disc lock stolen off the street during the day, but in my neighborhood there are SVs, a GS, and even an RSV4 on the street regularly with no locks for months on end that go untouched). The ADVrider NYC thread has a guys-in-a-van-nabbed-my-bike post what seems like every couple of weeks.

You will need a bigass chain and lock and a cover ideally. Any chain worth a drat won't fit anywhere but some kind of real luggage. I have tried wrapping them all sorts of ways around the subframe and they always vibrate loose in the wrong way. They are also really heavy and cumbersome. Also something to chain it to that is sturdy, won't piss anyone off, and won't net you a ticket. I have seen a bike chained to a pole on an uncrowded sidewalk on a queens (the land where no laws are enforced) side street way up against a building with a ticket stuffed in the gas cap. The real answer is a garage and it goes without saying you better have comprehensive insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Nice find. I'd even say that's a great deal, the bike looks very clean. What part of the country are you in? Love SVs, kinda thinking of getting one again. Oddly enough I also used to have a B12 and am a little on the fence about which I'd rather own again. Both super reliable with crap stock components. On SV reliability, my anecdote is I put 30k street miles on mine, and then track converted it and cut out the speed/odometer. Lasted 3 seasons of abuse before I finally killed it (crash not mechanical).

• Locked thread