Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

decided tonight I'm running on one cylinder! Then the other one kicks in and that's when I soil my pants.

I always wondered why people made a big deal about 70hp. Now I'm afraid to run on 2 cylinders!!!

I've had the same thing happen to me one night while riding in the rain. I guess water leaks in the front spark plug hole and as a result the plug won't fire. You're definitely right about the surge in power once that second cylinder starts firing again. Mine cut out on me several times that night and every time it did, I was afraid of it kicking back in and breaking traction from the power surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
If you decide you don't want that shock and it's for an 06-07, I might be willing to take it off your hands.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
I'm in central Indiana and paying about $230/yr for full coverage with Progressive on an '03 naked. Z3n is right, you're getting reamed.

e: Where are you located? That and your age are probably the two biggest factors.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea I will hopefully have high resolution pictures in about 30 minutes when he gets back, then after that I will paypal him a deposit to hold the bike for the weekend.

Is that HID kit DOT legal like he says?

Also considering I will be riding 3 hours on the bike for the first rider ever on another bike, what might be different handling wise with the sv650 over my zx600? You mentioned higher lowend power before. Will the brakes act much different with the ABS under normal conditions?

Be prepared for strong engine braking. That's one of the things that caught me off guard the first time I rode my SV.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Yay 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms here and in Indy. Riding home in the pouring rain is going to be AWESOME :q:

Friday and Sunday it's supposed to be nice in Indy if you can pick it up either of those days. Saturday is supposed to rain like you said.

e: Since I started riding, I've noticed that I pay much more attention to the weather than I ever have. So far it hasn't really affected what days I ride, just what I wear and pack.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Coredump posted:

Should I upgrade the rear shock to match the gsxr front fork or can I preload it enough to match? I'm just going to be riding on the street and this is only the first year of me riding.

It's a pretty controversial subject, but a lot of people at svrider like the 06-07 Kawi ZX14 rear shock for heavier riders. It's either the same length or 8mm longer than the stock shock and has the 90* resevoir, so it's pretty much a direct dropin. Swapping may actually raise the rear end since it won't compress nearly as much when you sit on it, making it a little more difficult to get your feet down.

I'm curious about the first question also. If I used lowering links in the rear, would raising the forks in the triples bring the geometry closer to being correct? The only thing I would lose is ground clearance, right? Also, with the GSXR front end using shorter forks, lowering links for Coredump might not upset the geometry.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Z3n posted:

At least in the US, you can usually pick up a front end for around 500-700$, complete and ready to go. I sold mine with almost everything on it for 450$.

As someone who's gone both routes, is doing a GSX-R front end swap overkill for the street? Or are springs and possibly emulators all that's really needed? I've been on the fence about which way to go for a while. The swap gets me better adjustability, but springs are cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

PitViper posted:

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Mine is more of a commuter, so I think the GSXR fork swap is a bit overkill. I'll just be keeping an eye out for a gen2 SVS front end for a while then :)

They pop up pretty frequently on svrider due to a lot of gsxr front end swaps.

• Locked thread