Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Could someone lecture me a bit on "GSX-R cartridge forks with machined GSX-R caps for fully adjustable suspension done by GP Suspension" versus someone who has done a GSXR front end swap? I am looking at a bike with the former. It has the regular SV forks but I guess with fancy internals? Will these forks be a bit of a let down? I only weigh 133lbs so perhaps it is enough to cope with what I'm doing. I plan to do a lot more track days and maybe....MAYBE race but that's a ways off.

Also, how might stock SV brakes with better pads and stainless lines compare to a GSXR front end swap with the whole radial caliper deal? I am gonna give em a feel when I check out the bike, but I probably won't be able to charge through a race track when the seller lets me test ride it.

I am coming off of a Ninja 250 that I've tracked more times than I'd care to, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

This is just a guess here, but it appears that he had GP suspension do some custom work to a stock set of SV outer fork legs to fit GSX-R cartridge fork internals inside them. Most likely to be able to pass production rules. That's the only thing that really makes sense, given the stuff that he lists.

I know the seller used to race this bike (not sure what class). There's an exhaust system and power commander on the thing too, amongst some other less notable items. Are full GSXR fork swaps usually banned in lower racing classes, then (WSMC for instance)?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

Usually there's 2 classes, production and superbike/formula/modified. The proddy class will typically require all stock components with a few exceptions (exhaust, jetting/PC, rear shock, fork internals), so as long as you've got stock outer fork tubes, you can run whatever internals you like. As a result, you end up with stuff like what he's done. The modified class pretty much lets you do whatever, excluding huge overbores.

That is good to know. If I did go racing it would be in production or something comparable. I wouldn't want to wind up in a higher level class just because of a fancy fork swap.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

I went superbike because I like tinkering and on an SV, even a built engine won't offer a huge advantage. I've got flatslides/cams and that's all the HP I need on a stock Gen 1 engine. Besides that, the additional power and lighter weight really helps keep the gap between the SV and the 600s smaller when I'm just riding at trackdays.

I was looking at the specs of a 2005 R6 which I am also considering, and the R6 is a claimed 357 dry, versus the 2005 SV650's 363 dry. Did you lighten yours up a lot or something?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I took a look at the 2005 SV650 with fancy GSXR-cartridged forks and came away a bit undecided. For one, I wish I knew more about how an SV should sound. It sounded a bit clattery/clicky. I think the valve train was making a lot of noise at idle, although it smoothed a bit up towards 5k rpm.

The other thing that bothered me was the fork action. They felt (and I could actually hear) a roughness within the first few centimeters of travel, compressing or decompressing. I don't really think it was anything else rubbing that would generate that kind of feel in the handlebars or that kind of noise.

Lastly, the bike is a train wreck cosmetically. Low-sided on a high speed turn during a track day. The tank is pitted and has a sizeable dent, and there is surface rust on it. A foot peg was slightly broken off. None of the plastics are original, the front being slightly beat and the rear a cracked mess. It is indeed a true race/track bike. Lots of scratches elsewhere. The exhaust system is great however, and the bike is tuned to it via a power commander. There is also a penske shock. And the whole thing is set up for my weight, surprisingly.

There are about 6 actual races on it, the rest being commuting. The odo is off a few hundred because she cut the cable at one point for racing. Total mileage is around 5500. She allegedly changed the oil very very often and I could tell that the chain was in good condition, too. But it's never been serviced internally.

I somewhat think she is overvaluing the mods and mileage. These bikes last forever, correct? So 5500 versus 10000 shouldn't make much of a difference. And the number of mods are quite a bit less than some of the other machines I've seen, which, while going for about $1000 more, are newer and in much better condition. She initially put it up for $3500, but seemed to entertain $3000, although I still think that is far too much for such a beat up machine, pristine internals and good maintenance regardless.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 10, 2009

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I found a really nice 2005 SV650 that has a lot of good components on it, but it is of course a fairingless bike, and I want a fairing. The guy also replaced the stock headlight assembly with a twin headlight setup, and perhaps the mount for that is custom as well.

How much pain and suffering and dollars will it take to slap on a reasonable windscreen (I don't even care about having a lower fairing) akin to the SV650S? I might even not need a headlight, since my main goal is to have some wind protection during track days where you don't need a headlight. Could someone suggest a full solution for this, brackets and all?

And also, how difficult is it to install clip-ons? It has a regular handlebar setup right now.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 5, 2009

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

What sort of fairing do you want? You could swap on a SV650S fairing stay, headlight, etc. but you may have to do some form of trickery with mounting brackets/gauges.

If you're just looking to run a small additional fairing, you could slap on a Buell Flyscreen.

I'd love to at least have something like the SV650S, with a regular sized windscreen and everything. But again, I can probably do without the headlight since I mainly want this for track use. That fly screen looks pretty neat, though.

What would be involved in installing an SV650S fairing stay? Are those pretty expensive, given that they are OEM? I also recall a company that made inexpensive aftermarket fairing brackets for sportbikes. Perhaps it was mentioned on this forum.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

Delkevic makes replacement fairing stays, but none for the SV.

I'd try hunting around on an SV specific site like SVrider. They'll probably have info on swaps from SVS to Naked and vice versa and what needs to be done.

If it's for track only use, I'd just pick up a cheap aluminum fairing stay from a place like Endurance Engineering, and put some race fairings on it.

I just email EE about SV650 race fairing brackets, and if their solution is simple enough I might go that route, then. I'm not opposed to making my own brackets, either, I suppose.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I managed to track down a guy who did a naked to race faired SV conversion, and it seems pretty simple. I only need the Vortex fairing stay, and then a few OEM brackets and I should be able to mount a regular set of race fairings. Now should I go for Catalyst or Armour Bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ok, now I am looking at another pretty cool 2006 SV650. The previous one I almost bought got sold =[. It's got gsxr forks, shock, catalyst bodywork, gilles rearsets, and an r6 throttle. It's also got a non-op registration and slicks (was a track bike for about 8 track days, and that's it).

There are only 4500 miles or so, although the odo got hosed at 4000 when he put the gsxr forks on, and now it isn't tracking miles so well. Nonetheless, I take his word for it. He wants $4200 and is pretty firm on that price.

Is this a bit high? It seems like people are all over the place on SV pricing once mods start coming into the picture. I've seen some sweet SVs with all kinds of stuff on socalsv for under $4k (too bad they're all sold). Am I reasonable for factoring in the track-bike conversion as a devalue of the bike? I'd have to buy new tires, and put the lights and stuff back on, and also re-reg it.

Oddly, I start to rethink my SV preference once GSXR forks come into the picture, because for $4200 I can sometimes find an actual 600cc four cylinder with said forks, plus more power, and perhaps similar reliability if it hasn't been abused. Case in point, a guy selling a 2006 CBR for about $4750 with several thousand miles. I'm in California, by the way, so our prices are already inflated a bit.

Could someone elaborate on the pricing disparity between 600cc fours (R6, CBR, etc) and the SV? It's pretty obvious that there are so many 600s, and that a lot of them are run into the ground, that prices might get deflated with oversupply. And the SV is super reliable, I know, so the value will be retained a bit better, perhaps.

And that's it...

edit: he said he could go down to $4000 after I cried about having to buy street tires and re-reg it...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 10, 2009

• Locked thread