Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Now way that sprocket was that clean when the bike was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

Sure, but does it cost $6 for a bottle that will last for the better part of a year?

$4.98

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm considering an SV 1000 as my next bike, so I have a few dumb questions.

1. I might import one from England to save some money (and better choice), can the speedo be reconfigured from mph to kph easily? Or maybe they use furlongs per fortnight over there, and the rider sits on the other side.

2. Is it true that medieval torture is preferable to adjusting the valves?

3. Can you remove the pillion seat and click some luggage solution in its place? I would definitely need a full luggage solution but for shorter trips it would be nice with something small and practical, but I guess a strapped soft bag would work just fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the replies!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Neither is available as a naked version with fairly upright seating :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

Don't understand why anyone would choose naked over half fairing except purely for aesthetics. At any rate, there is the Tuono or they actually made a streetfighter Falco from the factory.

It's because I like sitting fairly upright and most small fairings will just make the wind hit my face instead of sending it over my head. Also aesthetics.

But I don't think I can afford a newer bike any time soon. Maybe if I cut some other expenses, but I don't really want to cut those and there's only dumb desires of more horsepower and a newer looking bike that drives it, not because I actually need it in any way. I'll keep my old GSX going and send a few angry thoughts now and again to you stupid foreigners and your cheap bikes. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

The stock shock is roughly 13.25 inches long

13.25 you say? :tipshat: So is my GSX. Maybe there's aftermarket SV shocks I can use, although the weight and linkage lever ratios might be off. e: it's eye-to-eye right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AncientTV posted:

Your chain slack will be measurement "A"
Just make sure to pull it down as far as you can, and then as far up as you can; check multiple spots; and always check in the middle of your two sprockets.

Since this applies to all bikes (including mine, which isn't an SV), is the chain slack usually measured with no weight on the rear wheel or with normal rider weight on the wheel?

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 24, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I suppose the geometry is designed so that even with a slightly tight chain it won't shear off the sprocket if your rear shock should happen to bottom out? I've never heard this happen but my brain decided to get paranoid over this. edit: duh on me, you explained this perfectly already.

Also, what bad things can a loose chain do apart from slapping things in the middle?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have about 8000 miles on my current chain without adjustment needed. I run it kind of loose. Lube that poo poo every 2nd gas tank with a dry-ish teflon spray, wipe it clean with rubber and environment friendly degreaser whenever it's too dirty. Lubing the chain helps the social bonds and the parental love.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Son of a bitch. Brake switch on the front is on the fritz. Getting the bike back together to a ride this weekend and the thing is working partially. I am pretty sure it isnt the connection so perhaps the switch itself. What is the average lifespan on those? Mine is 2 years and has ~15,000 miles or so in some rough weather. are those bastards sensitive to being not used for a few months?

Is it a fluid pressure switch or an old school moving contact switch? My old school switch goes on the fritz about every oil change. Open it up, clean it out with a dab of WD-40, good until the next oil change.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You don't need gloves, just make sure you only handle it by the metal bits. I don't open the box until I'm ready to put the fresh bulb in and seal it up (also making sure I open the box in the metal end of the bulb), otherwise it's no big deal.

The glass is sensitive cause it gets real loving hot and the tiniest amount of oil, fat or other similar substance will cause different heat characteristics in that area and subsequent cracking.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's probably just never reached high enough temperature.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does a rear hugger prevent said poo poo accumulation?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Additional data point: If you do gravel roads once in a blue moon and they aren't deeply rutted and muddy, a street bike will cope just fine. Just go a bit slowly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good points well made.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think a V-Strom would match that requirement perfectly. Good range, good engine, comfy for the rider, comfy for the girl (which none of the others are) and will go on any road. Tsaven Nava can tell you more, but he doesn't know what he's doing. Takes a Virago down mud roads and a V-strom to the track. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

25K is nothing. I'd ask him if the original headlight comes with it though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is it really? 25K in 6 years is slightly over 4K a year, should be pretty normal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jdonz posted:

Now that I have two bikes I think I have the balls to do the valves on my SV. I poked around on Bike Bandit and found a shim kit. I don't know if thats expensive, lovely brand, etc. Can anyone comment or recommend a shim kit?

Also, are there any special tools I need to do this on a 2004 SV650N with 20k miles on the odometer? I have the typical range of sockets, breaker bars, torque wrenches but I'm not sure what I'll need. I have the Haynes manual so I'll research there first, but I was hoping for some first hand experience. After the valves I'll probably have a shop do the throttle body sync.

I suppose there's no need for a shim kit before you've checked the clearances, unless getting to the valves is a massive pain what with the gaskets and the water cooling and all. For sync I can recommend the Carbtune. http://www.carbtune.com/ I suppose it might be pricey for only two pots, but that's what I've tried and it's great.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

invision posted:

e2:Texas also has a "I'd rather be golfing" vanity plate for bikes.

Time to lobby for "I'd rather be rofling".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Barfolemew posted:

I will most likely trade or sell it this summer and buy another bike

Then option c) gently caress it, leave the tank alone, sell as-is. Be sure you mention the rust in the ad and how cheap replacement tanks are on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Barfolemew posted:

I decided to keep the bike afterall. Since i bought it two years ago ive had zero problems with it. Looks like poo poo, runs like a dream, sounds like a paint mixer. Ill ask the local shops about how much they take to fix the tank. Or i try to fid it myself.

Keep a search going, you'll find a paint matched tank sooner or later anyway.

• Locked thread