Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

What if we all post what year sv650 we have. Then I can update the first post and we can have an ongoing listing of who has what!

2002 SV650S with

2000 Yamaha R6 frontend with stainless brake lines
Puig windscreen from PO
"Jim"-style speedometer
SV-Racing parts rearset riser plates
Motosliders frame and swingarm sliders
Tech-Spec tank grips
CF front fender & Vortex clipons (Which are upside-down so they clear the SV fairing) for the R6 frontend

I'll have to get a nice sexy picture of the bike with everything on it after I get the frontend problem fixed (knock on wood) tomorrow.

Edit: Problem solved. Steering head bearing just needed tightening. Rides like a dream now. Here's my for sale thread on SVRider if anyone needs front end bits: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=87755

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

ranathari posted:

Might as well ask here before I go to one of the dedicated SV forums.

My 01 SVS refuses to start unless the bike's on the sidestand. If I take it off the sidestand, stand it up and clutch in, pressing the starter does nothing. If, however, I put it back on the sidestand or just sit on it and lean it over to roughly the same angle, it'll start up first time.

I have no idea if the curvies have lean sensors to kill the engine when the bike's on its side but, if so, I imagine that's the culprit. Any ideas how to fix it?

If it was a bad lean sensor, wouldn't it not run at all instead of just not starting? I don't know if they have sensors either.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Infinotize posted:

2004 650S, yellow. ~29k miles. I have had it since February '07 at 1000 miles.

Dunlop qualifiers (with 120/70 front)
15wt fork oil, .90 springs, with emulators
Penske 2-way
GPR damper mount and a damper that causes weave and probably needs a service
CFM rearsets
Leo Vince aluminum slipon
R6 throttle tube (must have, $10)
Stainless lines on the front
Motoslider frame sliders and swingarm spools (saved me so much money it's ridiculous)
Givi windscreen
SW-motech topcase rack for Givi 45L case
Heated grips, heated vest hookup through relay

I use it for everything although it's going to be a track/race bike next year, which explains the Frankenstein collection of track and touring bits. All it really needs is bodywork, some more safety wire and DOT race tires. Until then, it's my daily driver. I hate the rearsets for the street because they're supremely uncomfortable.

It's had a rough history: 6000 mile 10 day cross country run, several 0mph drops from maneuvering it in awkward places and falling off lovely stands. Crash on track doing "at least 60" says the guy behind me, and a 15-20mph lowside 2 weeks ago when I went from pavement to fresh parking lot sealer mid corner in the rain (I should know better). The exhaust has a scrape, the front fairing is cracked and rashed on the right but it runs like the day I got it. It's on it's third chain and probably half a dozen turn signals, one of which is currently held together with electrical tape. I almost never wash it (it'll just get dirty) and am overdue again for a valve check. They were just borderline in spec 15k ago so I'm sure they are tight right now! Recently getting 40-45mpg. It hates Baltimore pavement. Unfortunately the most action it sees now is a 25 mile commute (each way) and errand runs, or rarely a weekend afternoon 50 mile stint.

I love it.

How do you like that topcase? What does the Givi windscreen do that the stock one doesn't? Mine has a dark smoked Puig one from the PO, I'm not really a fan, I'd kind of like to be able to see through the screen.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Hooray, photo time!

Here she is all ready to go tear poo poo up with her little backpack on :3:

And here's the leftover parts. If anyone needs brakes, front fender, rotors, or an R6 lower triple or rear wheel feel free to email me at thermald (at) gmail.com

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
This website has a bunch of very detailed howtos for most basic SV650 maintenance, as well as some simple mods:

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/

She's got stuff for a few other bikes on there as well.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

Sup, leaky fork sv buddies. Is blown fork seals a common things for the SV? I don't think any of my other bikes have ever had seal issues. I really don't feel like disassembling my stupid front end to fix this.

Mine never leaked in all of their 10000 miles. Seems like a good excuse to put in springs/oil and/or cartridge emulators.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170265087210&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=#ebayphotohosting

I saw these while I was looking for flushmounts for mine, and by chance I ran across a CBR that had what I think were the same ones installed. I roughly measured against my bike, and I'm almost certain you'll have to drill into the fairing to mount these with screws. Why doesn't anyone make flushmounts specifically for the first gen?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

yuck. I keep reading and searching svrider for ideas. What have you ended up doing zenaida or are you still in the hunt?

I epoxied my right signal back together for the third time the other day. I'm currently in the process of trying to forget about it again. :P

e: I did see some LED ones on SVRider a while back that were supposed to be a good fit for the 1st gen, but I haven't been able to find them again.

e2: This thread has some that look like they'd be a good fit. The guy doesn't know what they are though.

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 14, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

yuck. I keep reading and searching svrider for ideas. What have you ended up doing zenaida or are you still in the hunt?

I went to cyclegear and bought these:

I'll probably install them on Saturday.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Please let us know how they work out. I think thats the set I'm looking to get.

Sure thing, I'll try to remember to actually take some photos this time. I'm pretty concerned about visibility with these, so I'll be testing that out as thoroughly as I can as well.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

MourningGlory posted:

This is my 07 with ABS. I had to spend a fair amount of time and money to get it set up the way I wanted and fitting me properly but god I love this bike.

Click here for the full 1512x1455 image.

Click here for the full 1858x1289 image.

What all did you do to it? The rearsets look pretty stock, what do you mean by "fitting me properly"? Lowering links?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Zenaida posted:

I went to cyclegear and bought these:

I'll probably install them on Saturday.

Didn't work. They don't cover the stock hole, and the bolt part on the back is not long enough for the nut to attach to. I wound up putting on some small (non-flush) Lockhart Phillips signals instead. :( I took a bunch of photos though, if you guys want to see a full writeup.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

i do! I don't know how to take my lights off.

It's pretty straightforward. You take off the side fairing (Four allen bolts, one screw, one plastic pop-rivet, and that tab that sticks into the rubber bushing on the radiator mount) Unhook the wire going to the signal (Lift UP on the tab on the connnector). Once you've got the side fairing free, unscrew the two screws that hold the metal plate onto the fairing, it's sort of egg-shaped with two little square tabs. Then you gotta kind of shove the rubber part of the signal out through the hole.

I'll try to post a couple photos when I get home tonight. The hardest part is getting the rubber stalk through the hole, you gotta kind of fold it up by the tabs over the screw holes and push and prod it until you get it to slide off the lip that holds it.

Take these two screws off:

and jam that rubber piece through the hole:

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 23, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I like the billetbullet clutch lever.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

1) New Rear tire (Power Pilots)
2) Zero Gravity or PUIG Double Bubble Wind Screen (opinions??)
3) Fender Eliminator and Tail Lights - Motrax has a good little license plate bracket with holes for turn signals, might grab that for $20
4) New Fork Seals
5) Motosliders

Why did you get the Vortex gas cap? Isn't it better to have your tank locked so nobody can siphon gas from you?

Seconding moving Motosliders up the list.

I have a Puig windscreen that the PO put on my bike. I don't really have a basis for comparison, but it does its job fine. It's tinted really dark though, which sucks. It would be nice to be able to put my head down while riding at night to keep the wind of my neck and still be able to see anything.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
These sliders are supposed to be good as well: http://www.motovationusa.com/

I don't know anybody who has them or who has crashed them, but they have some nice sciency words on their site.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Sitting in at 6'2" here... I guess I really need to find a friend that has a DB and check it out.

I think the touring screens just look awful on the svs...but maybe they're worth it if I want to go 500 miles or more?

I've done a 450 mile day with the puig double bubble on mine and didn't have a problem. I wouldn't bother with a touring screen unless you're planning on doing a lot of high-speed interstate stuff. Especially in winter. If it's really cold out, anything you can do to keep wind off you is worth it.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Simkin posted:

And? I'd probably want to tart the bike up with some nice magenta graphics, just to get the full 80s :lsd: effect.

They could definitely do with twin front rotors, longer real travel, and a different mounting position for the exhaust (high mounted or undertail?). Still, I would ride the poo poo out of it, :gay: colour scheme and all.

To me it says "Toothpaste" more than :gay:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I need some turn signals for a gen one S-model. I'd prefer stockers, but whatever's clever. Also if anyone has a silver right side fairing...

edit: thermald (at) gmail.com

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

I got 2 or 3 stock bulky ones (Suzuki SV-1000-S 2005), plus 2 micro arrows. Email sent.

Although if I were you I would go with Motrax LED turn signals. Holy crap are they bright and they use less power.

These look pretty good, the only question is whether or not they'll fit in the side fairing on my S. The indent for the turn signals is really deep, and I had to do a bit of fabrication to get the lovely Lockhart-Phillips ones I had on there to mount up.

Edit: sweet, This page has dimensions...

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 10, 2009

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Coredump posted:

I just installed a set of these and...they are not holy crap bright. :( It doesn't look like all the leds are firing and they are just okay bright. At this point I think I still want to find some stockers.

I feel like I read a review somewhere where someone was saying the same thing about all the leds not being on. They said they called the manufacturer who said to test them with the bike running, which apparently made a difference.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I've heard good things about Wilbers

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Phy posted:

Totally out of left field: How does an SV hold up for light-duty touring? (read: weekend to a week or so)

I should get around to making a thread about my 4-day weekend on mine. It's fine. I wouldn't want to do more than 500 miles in a day on it.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Horribly, mine barely works for a day without needing to be parked away in the garage. (lol or is that my zx600)

The V-Strom DL650 is basically the same thing with an improved suspension and larger gas tank. People do crazy extended trips with them for thousands of miles at a time.

What seat do you have?

First gen stock

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
From http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462017

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

At a bike meet in Ukraine I think it was?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

ranathari posted:

I've fitted a new rear brake lever,

Where did you get one? The only ones I've been able to find are OEM ones for $70+ from Bikebandit or whatever, or questionable overseas ones for $50 on ebay.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Yeah, $50 plus international shipping...I'll stick with my ghetto-fabulous bolt-through-the-old-snapped-off-lever. Is the quality good?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

philkop posted:

i keep seeing pointy and curvy mentioned. Is it a year thing? If so when did it switch. I'm in the market for a used sv and i HATE the curvy looking one. I wont have the money until januaryish, but you know how it is. All the excitement of looking forward to my new bike. Keeps me from wasting money too. I like the pointy ones with the square geometric looking seats too. especially the 08 navy blue :O. Id get an 08 but the suzuki near me dosnt have any svs at all!! I went in to look at the dr650 i was interested in and asked to sit on an sv because its always been a favorite of mine and iv never actually sat on one. The guy didnt even know what it was, three employees later and i was referred to the gladius. That ugly POS

EDIT: I abruptly left with a smug too good for this place look on my face.

2003 and up have the "pointy" frame.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Still trying to unload the Ohlins shock I got that fits second gens:

Ohlins rear shock for 2nd Gen SV650

SU606, piggyback reservoir. Should fit any SV 2003 and up.

http://www.superbikeitalia.com/shop/details.asp?id=1320&iCat=70&iSubOne=1776

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Sport/SU-606/

New in box, never used. Wound up with the wrong shock, I have a first gen

$800 + shipping SF Bay Area residents can arrange local pickup. Shipping weight is ~10 lbs, coming from zip code 94609, plug that and your zip code into UPS website to estimate shipping cost.

email me at thermald (at) gmail.com

Click here for the full 900x675 image.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

benwards posted:

New question: I want a rear stand to make chain maintenance easier in the future. Any recommendations?

I've used a number of different stands and they've all seemed pretty lousy compared to the pitbull stands I've used. You can pick up a used one on CL for ~$100 around here.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Is there anything actually wrong with the Gladius, other than the dumb name and the subjective looks?

Per z3n's advice I'm going to pick up a used racing SV for track when I get down to CA, but would like something for commuting here. The price new is fine for me, and the riding position looks a lot better for commuting and weekend trips, as well as being a better transition from underpowered dualsports and ancient dirt bikes to a real street bike.

When are you getting down to CA? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wind up selling my SV, and it's fairly well set up for the track, especially if you weigh in the neighborhood of 200 lbs. Email me at thermald (at) gmail if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Within the next year or so, I appreciate it, but don't go holding on to it for me.

I'm not in a big hurry to sell it, and I'd prefer to sell it to someone who can properly appreciate (with $) the suspension work I've put into it.

• Locked thread