Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Jack the Smack posted:

Mine was purchased in 2005 by the original owner, had it for 2 months so far, and not a single scratch.

Hey this is a new sub-forum. I bought my SV march of 07. The awesome 07 sv650s model.

I've put about 10k miles on it, all commuting. This year I am shipping off to basic for USAF on april 21st. I'd really like to drive up to the dragon and meet some goons early spring if it's warm enough. It'll likely be one of the last times I get to ride my bike for the following year due to a 12 month tech school.

I still need to do some mods to it. I had to put 2600 bucks last year fixing it from a wreck. But while that happened I went ahead and got pazzo levers and watsen leds since I got a great deal. My goal this year is to get a new exhaust, get rid of that bulky undertail and a new windscreen that works.

Right now it's my only vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Trying to find a replacement lamp for my 07 sv650s. It's one of the front highbeams. I've found the schematics and when I went to the dealer, without the bike, the parts person couldn't find either. Plus there are three lightbulbs listed. One is 4 bucks, one is 40 and the other some other price.

Where should I go to find this?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Just like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9003ST-BP-Twin-Performance/dp/B000CO93RA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1271376466&sr=8-2

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Z3n posted:

Yeah. Be super careful installing them, they're really sensitive to the oils on your fingers, it's super important they get out of the package and into the housing clean.

I can just wear medical gloves without any powder right?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I was going to buy an SV650 with no tach.speedo unit, so I purchased one on eBay. The bike was sold from under me, so now I have an 06 gauge cluster with 22k miles on it.

I bought it for $170 shipped, so if anyone wants it it's yours for that price. It's in excellent condition and it's the whole assembly, chrome trim, brackets and backing included.

Let me know if you want pictures or anything. There's no cracks or scratches anywhere.

Many reputable places will take it back. I know new enough will take back gear and exchange it rather than lose your business.

But my own questions:

I'm doing my 3 (2) year service. I didn't have my bike for the last year since it was in storage, so it's basically my 2 year service. Tomorrow there won't be rain so I'll be bleeding my brakes and replacing the fluid, trying to find an air filter (which nobody carries), finishing the cleaning/ chain oiling, and replacing the engine coolant.

The dealer had engine coolant for 20 bucks a quart concentrate. I think that's too expensive, but the stuff at autozone was 13 bucks. I don't know if it matters what type, so that's question one. But also autozone didn't sell DI water. I think I can just take DI water from work, but where do I find it (question 2).

Where is a good place to find an air filter for 07 model.

And where is the guide for using seafoam on your bike?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Z3n posted:

If it freeze where you are, I'd use the normal mix of coolant, otherwise I'd run straight distilled water with water wetter. I can usually find it at big grocery stores.

so the ratio of 1 qt water wetter to 1 gal of DI is recommended?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/air-filter-sv650-1999-2006.html

Is this the correct air filter( under 2003-2009) The detailed images look like the aftermarket, but the top image looks different.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

ranathari posted:

If you can't find OEM then Hi-Flo air filters are equally as good for cheaper. No point pissing away money on a K&N or BMC that'll give you no performance increase for four times the price.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the airbox shape change between the 99-02 and 03-09 models?

I'm not sure, but I can't even find out how to order the part on that site.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Got my safety inspection done, apparently there's a limit of 1 inch for the alignment. If you're more than that, you fail. I was right at one inch. Which explains the slight leaning to left without any gas (and no hands), and the leaning to right when front brakes are applied.

I also need to bleed the brakes and change the the fork oil, said the front was a little too squishy. How hard is it to change fork oil?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Z3n posted:

I...how...what.

What alignment are you talking about? Fork oil isn't too difficult to change, do you have a shop manual?

I've run just about every variant of gearing out there. What are you looking for with the gearing change? More acceleration? Lower cruising RPM?

no shop manual, i'll have to find something.

My alignment is off because I had alot of damage due to a crash 3 years ago, it was never fully fixed but the shop got it as close as possible.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

So I don't know how but my clutch was feeling kind of wonky. It was loser than I remember. I had installed pazzo levers so I was able to push them rather than pull to see the wound cable is broken. Maybe 2 out of the 8 or so wires are snapped near the connection.

How easy is it to replace a clutch cable line, and can I just buy the cable from any online store?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Well I changed my clutch cable, forgot to oil it before putting it on and I had to figure out the routing after I took the old one off. So I tried my best to make sure my routing was close enough. I did put some WD40 on the cable after I bought the cable lube tool.

I'm going to have to watch the cable to see for any wear from improper routing.

I've also cleaned out a whole load of gunk from where the clutch cable perch was. Probably a solid 1/8cup of gunk including gunk around where the chain rests near the sprocket.

I'm going to try and replace my brake fluid today and bleed it. But is it okay if I just continally bleed it while topping off with new fluid while I wait for the color to change?

My brakepads also look low compared to a car. At what point should I change them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Z3n posted:

Most modern cables don't need to be lubed, they're coated from the factory, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

It's fine to flush out the old fluid by continually bleeding it/waiting for the color to change.

The pads should have an indent or a cutout where when it hits that cutout, you need to change them. How much pad is left when compared to the thickness of the backing plate?

I did the bleeding, but my helper let the drainage tube disconnect, which put air in the line. I've tried my best to make sure there is no more air, did a test run which the brakes seemed to work well. I'm going to give a couple of days before I do the rear brake bleeding/ replacement.

there appears to be 1.5 times of brake compared to the backing.

• Locked thread