Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I have a GS500 I have ridden for a few months and it has a host of problems I really dont feel like fixing anymore. I feel very comfortable (confident) riding it. Would an SV650 be an ok step up or am I going to feel like I have too much power for someone who has only been riding since august?

The 650 is awesome, don't give me an answer I don't want to hear :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
What kind of premiums are you guys paying for your bikes? I plan to get into the market sometime soon for an 05-08 SV650 and I was checking out the rate I'd be paying for full coverage with progressive (who I use for my current bike) and they quoted me about 1500 for the year, or about 130/Mo.

does that sound about right for a newer SV and full coverage? I'll shop around of course but it would be nice to know a good ballpark figure of what its going for normally.

Thanks!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
24, going on 25 in July. Los Angeles, CA.

I havent really shopped around yet, but it did seem a little high to me, but my only other experience with a bike is my current 92 GS500. I pay around 200/YR for liability/uninsured (ditched collision and comprehensive since its a beater), but even then, 1500 sounded like a rip.

Good to know its so cheap though! I dont have much to compare with with my IRL friends who have bikes because they're either dipshits who bought a 1000CC bike and dont have a license or insurance, or they have a driving record a mile long. :sigh:

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 20, 2009

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Welp

Click here for the full 502x632 image.

My quest continues I guess. Do my coverage choices look weird or something? 1000 dollar deductible even!

I pay jack poo poo for car and my current cycle insurance, I guess I'll keep looking!

EDIT: haha wow, I pulled an AIS quote which pulls from a bunch of companies and the very last one was a quote from a company called Arrowhead QBE Motorcycle. They wanted 775 a month for the lowest coverage you can get. sure bro, I'll pay 9K a year for a 6K brand new bike :waycool:

2nd EDIT: going to have to go with these guys by name alone: http://www.pirateinsurance.com/

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 19, 2009

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Ha sorry, yes I meant per year. For a test I tried out my same information but put in my old home address when I lived in Santa Barbara, and it dropped me to 600/yr.

I guess its my area? :sigh:

I haven't made any plans to get the bike yet, probably either late summer or after summer is over, so I'm not serious yet. Just killing time at work. :)

I'll keep that guy's info on hand though, sounds like he'd be the guy to use.

Thanks!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Speaking of craigslist links, I was internet window shopping to see what was out there and saw this one for sale near where I live.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1178076938.html
I'm bummed because I don't really have the cash and I'm not really in the market at the moment, but that bike has been done up with exactly everything I would have wanted to do if I owned one. The dual headlight setup looks awesome.

Oh well. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Z3n posted:

Eh, that one's alright, but doesn't have any of the real suspension work done, and doesn't have much really going for it, honestly. You could buy a stock one for less and convert it, including a GSX-R front end, for much cheaper than that, and have a nicer bike to boot.

Thats good to know, I was more going on looks rather than performance upgrades. I havent really done much research on the proper upgrades yet so I just took a look at this one which caught my eye. v:shobon:v

Is it mainly suspension upgrades that are important on the bikes? any other upgrades that I should be considering?

When I get more serious about buying one I'll definitely be checking in here with possible options. No point in looking now since when I'm ready they'll be a whole new set of bikes ready to get sold.

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 21, 2009

• Locked thread