Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
This is my 07 with ABS. I had to spend a fair amount of time and money to get it set up the way I wanted and fitting me properly but god I love this bike.

Click here for the full 1512x1455 image.

Click here for the full 1858x1289 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Zenaida posted:

What all did you do to it? The rearsets look pretty stock, what do you mean by "fitting me properly"? Lowering links?

I'm 5'9" with a fairly short inseam and fully geared up, I weigh close to 300 pounds. Obviously for someone as heavy as I am, in factory form the bike was profoundly undersprung and underdamped. I also had a hard time flatfooting the bike under certain conditions.

The front fork has Sonic Springs and 20w oil in it and the rear shock is a Penske double clicker (thus the remote reservoir). That took care of the ridiculous wallowing and pogoing, but then I really couldn't flatfoot the bike at all. So I spent a day carving down the seat foam and then had the whole thing recovered at an upholstery shop. I've also tweeked the position of the levers, the shifter and rear brake pedal.

So I guess I haven't really done all that much. It just feels like it to me :)

Tentacle Party posted:

Looks good though, not sure about the graveyard photo shoot though
Yeah, that's kind of a crappy pic, but it was one of the few I have of the bike at the moment. As for the cemetary in the background, it's actually a very pleasant place. I stop there all the time.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, I recommend you just push it the hell over as soon as you get it. No use worrying about when it's going to get it's first scratch.
I agree that some damage is probably inevitable, but frame sliders go a long way toward preventing serious damage. My new at the time SVS rolled off its kickstand in my driveway about a month after I got it. I already had Motosliders on it, and I only suffered a shattered turn signal, broken clutch lever and broken shifter nub. None of the plastic or frame touched the pavement. The sliders paid for themselves probably 5 times over in one drop. It would have been far, far worse without them.

I really don't understand why everyone doesn't install them immediately after buying a bike (or why bikes don't come with them from the factory).

EDIT: Also, this is my first bike. You could definitely get yourself in trouble with it, but I felt like it was a good choice for me. However, I'm in my mid 30's, I spent a lot of time on ATV's as a kid, I'm naturally very cautious and I took the MSF and read a few books prior to buying it. The only thing that bothered me at all was the twitchy throttle response at low rpm, but that seems to have gone away after I adjusted the TPS.

MourningGlory fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 7, 2009

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

This is ridiculous.

I need to find replacement mirrors for my 2001 sv650s. I can't seem to find replacements anywhere. I've looked for OEM and aftermarket but can't find anything predating the second generation model.

Can anybody help me out on this one? Ebay has proved to be useless.

Looks like this is what you want: http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/mirror-sv650s-sv650-1999-06.html

I've ordered stuff from them in the past with no problems.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Christobevii3 posted:

Well from watching youtube videos i've seen quit a few people accidentally grab the throttle full out before they wreck as a knee jerk reaction. My gf isn't use to driving a manual anything so just thinking as a safety thing.

I agree that the best thing is just to teach your girlfriend how to ride properly, but if you're really worried about her grabbing full throttle accidentally, I think the easiest thing to do would just be to put some sort of spacer on the pulley stop at the throttle body so that it can't go wide open. That way it still responds normally at partial throttle, but she can't give it 100%.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

Move the motosliders higher up the priority list. A good set of frame sliders could potentially be your very best investment. The difference between sliders/no sliders can be huge in a basic drop or anything worse.

Listen to this man. My motosliders paid for themselves like 5 times over in just one brief fuckup in my driveway last September.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Zenaida posted:

I have a Puig windscreen that the PO put on my bike. I don't really have a basis for comparison, but it does its job fine. It's tinted really dark though, which sucks. It would be nice to be able to put my head down while riding at night to keep the wind of my neck and still be able to see anything.

I have a "dark smoke" Puig Double Bubble windscreen on my SVS. The quality is a little better than OEM. I don't recall the exact reason now, but I know I intentionally went with Puig over Zero Gravity after doing some research a few months ago. I think maybe I heard of people have problems with the ZG's cracking.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

Can anybody really tell me what double bubbles are supposed to do? Are they the intermediates between sport touring screens and stock?
The idea is to direct the air over your helmet rather than at it. I didn't notice any particular difference in wind buffeting, but I'm only 5'9". Perhaps a taller rider would see a difference. Personally, I think the double bubble style looks better than the stock shape.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Captain Apollo posted:

I think the touring screens just look awful on the svs...but maybe they're worth it if I want to go 500 miles or more?
Yeah, the tall touring screens look like pure rear end. I'm not too concerned about looks, but drat. Those things are hideous.

Anyway, I road about 120 miles at highway speed in ~45 degree weather with my Puig DB and I didn't have any problems. The fairing does a good job of keeping wind off the torso and that's what matters the most for comfort, I think.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Tentacle Party posted:

I was using Motul chain lube before and that stuff flung like a motherbitch. Have changed to Bel-Ray Superclean which is supposedly better.

Have you tried Dupont Teflon Chain Lube? http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

It's a dry lube that doesn't fling off the chain or attract dirt.

I've been using it since I bought the bike and there are no signs of wear on the chain (but the bike has only about 2300 miles on it, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

^^^You clean the chain from the top? I just clean the bottom run of the chain under the swingarm and spin the wheel to get to the rest of the chain.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I'm telling you guys, try the Dupont Teflon stuff. No dripping, no flinging and no picking up poo poo or turning into a gummy mess. It's the most painless way possible to maintain a chain.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Simkin posted:

Hrm. I'll have a look when I'm out next time.

It's also great for lubing about a million other things on your bike and in your garage/house. I use it constantly. The fact that it's a dry wax that stays put and that nothing sticks to makes it better than just about anything else out there, in my opinion.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Has anyone put hard panniers/saddlebags on their 2nd gen SV? I want to do some touring and I'm just looking for input from anyone that may have already slogged through the options.

If it matters, my exhaust is stock and any aftermarket pipe I might put on the bike will stay in the stock location.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

If you go over to svrider.com there's an entire touring forum full of pictures and discussion on the options. The consensus seems to be that the Givi setup is probably the best, but not really worth the price increase over the SW Motech setup (which can use the Givi luggage).
Thanks for the information. I'll poke around on svrider and see what comes up. I guess I'm spoiled by SA. Reading other forums is painful at times.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Can anyone recommend a standard-mount slip-on that sounds good (deep, rumbly, not raspy) but is not significantly louder than the stock can? Or at least, not offensively loud?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

I dont know what you mean by 'standard mount'.
Sorry, I meant "mounts in the same position as the stock can", since there are also high-mounts and race-mounts.

quote:

I went with the Two Bros. It's real deep, not offensively loud (I dont think) and I think is one of the better sounds an SV is capable of making.
I'll check it out.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Avoid M4, Yoshi. I'd recommend micron if you can find one.

Now see, others have specifically said that the Yoshi RS-3 is fairly quiet. Which model are you referring to?

Every time I read that a given pipe is loud or quiet, someone else says the exact opposite somewhere else. I'm getting frustrated :(

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Basically, I have a zx10 rear shock, but I am hesistant to put it on because of the unmodified front suspension. Should I?
If you're concerned about a mismatch between the front and rear, just get some stiffer springs for the forks that properly complement the spring rate of the ZX10 shock. They're not expensive and they're pretty easy to install.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
If you want an SV for your first bike, that's probably a good choice, since he's already fixed the SV's craptastic stock suspension, which is its primary shortcoming. Also it's naked, which means if you drop it there's less stuff to replace. Speaking of which, put motosliders on it immediately if you buy it. My sliders paid for themselves about 5 times over when my bike rolled off its kickstand in the driveway last year.

As to whether an SV is a good first bike, that's a matter of opinion. It was a good choice for me, but I'm older, not especially prone to doing stupid poo poo and I took a lot of time getting to know the bike and understanding how it handled. Just be aware that even a "slow" bike like an SV has enough power to get you into trouble if you do something really dumb.

I'm still quite happy with mine, though I'll probably consider a new bike towards the end of the year. I do wish the engine were a bit smoother, but I love the torque delivery. Pretty much perfect for the street.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Anyone following the thread on SVRider about the new Ricor Intiminators?
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=100825

They're functionally similar to emulators, but use some sort of inertial valving, the point of which is to allow for lightly damped wheel movement but controlled, highly damped chassis movement--ie, the wheels follows bumps and ruts, but the chassis doesn't dive during braking. Installation is really easy. they simply drop in to the forks with no need to remove and modify the damper rods as with emulators. The reviews are very positive so far with at least one guy saying they're better than GSX-R fork swaps and AK20 cartridge conversions.

Anyway, they're normally $300, but are temporarily 50% off, so for $150 (plus the cost of 5W oil) it seems like a worthwhile experiment. God knows anything's better than the stock setup.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

The bike was off at the time, could that have caused it?
I don't know how similar the first and second gen trannies are, but when my bike is off, I pretty much can't shift gears reliably without a lot of fiddling and rolling it forward a little.

dietcokefiend posted:

in other news my sv is getting a new chain and sprockets (+3 rear sprocket) this weekend and a set of those intiminators
My front end is probably oversprung for the way the Intiminators (seriously, could they have come up with a worse name?) work, but I like mine. Small bumps are greatly lessened and the chassis seems more stable overall. For the money, pretty good stuff.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I don't see why replacement parts would be an issue, assuming that all the transplanted parts came from reasonably common bikes, which I think is the case here. Am I overlooking any completely custom one-off parts on it?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Called him up, going to paypal him tonight and work out a title transfer with his friend over the weekend. God I am so excited I think I need to take a break and think about it. Is there anything possibly bad about that bike in any way? I need to put doubt in my head damnit :dance:

The SV's ABS kicks rear end and it's totally worth it. It makes so much sense for a streetbike and it's completely transparent until a tire locks. You chose a good bike.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Will the brakes act much different with the ABS under normal conditions?

I've never ridden a non-ABS second gen SV, but the brakes act exactly the same as on any other bike under non-slipping conditions. The lever might be a little mushier, but I don't know that for sure.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Yay 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms here and in Indy. Riding home in the pouring rain is going to be AWESOME :q:

Just be gentle with the throttle at low speeds and you'll be fine. The SV has a lot of low end torque, but not ridiculous amounts, after all.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
If you're only getting 30 mpg on an SV, there's something way out of tune. I'm a throttle happy fatass riding what is probably the heaviest SV ever made (2nd gen S with ABS) and the lowest mileage I've ever seen is about 46 mpg.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
When my bike is at normal operating temp, there's really just a quick little popping sensation when I shift from neutral to first. If the bike is dead cold, the noise is a bit louder and the bike does a tiny jump. No big deal in either case, though.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I'm still on the factory tires (whatever Suzuki put on the 07's) and the rear is starting to show a square profile. So I'm starting to look into new tires for both ends. I'm looking for something that has good grip, wet and dry. Tread life isn't much of a concern--I ride frequently, but I don't actually put all that many miles on the bike, maybe a couple hundred per week. So if the tires last only 3000-4000 miles, that's fine. Price isn't too big of a deal either. Cheaper is always better of course, but I will gladly spend the extra money for high quality stuff.
Also, I am starting to corner much more aggressively and I would like a tire that feels very stable and handles predictably when leaned way over. The bike never sees the track. Street only.

There seem to be a shitload of sport tires on the market and I really know nothing about any of them. Are there any particular models I should be looking at?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
So I'm eyeballing the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Is this too much tire for a streetbike? Realistically, is it even possible to ride hard enough on a public road to justify the tire? Would I be better off with the Pilot Road 2CT?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Thanks for the insight, Z3n. The Pilot Power it is, then.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Instead of dropping $300 on an aftermarket saddle, I just carved mine down with an electric carving knife (like your mom uses on the turkey at Thanksgiving) and shaped it flatter and lower. Then I had it recovered professionally with marine grade black vinyl by a local guy. It looks great and fits me perfectly, since I just kept going until I had it exactly right for my body's shape. It has the added benefit of making it easier for me to flatfoot the bike at stops (I'm rocking like a 28" inseam, so I need all the help I can get).

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

The SVRider people seem to like the greatdaytoride.com guy's work on their seats. Doing his thing on the rider seat is something like $70 plus shipping through him.

That's the "Spencer" seat. My dad has one on his ST1300. He loves it.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Can't comment on the first two, but I have this tailbag:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=FTL_CAR007

I've got its straps rigged so that I can just slip the pillion seat through them, snap it into place and put a nylon strap on the grab handle. Take 60 seconds to install/remove, it's very secure and it holds loads of crap, since it can accordion up and out. I've hauled 25+ pound loads of groceries, bike parts, etc many times with no issues. It beats the pants off of a backpack, especially in hot weather. I don't think it looks too bad either. I rarely take it off the bike, unless I'm going out solely to ride hard and I know I won't need to haul anything.

edit: Pic of bag on bike

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

My pillion seat has been shaved way down, so on a stock seat, the bag would sit more upright and a bit further back. Makes a nice backrest at long red lights as well.

MourningGlory fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 1, 2009

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I was planning on bleeding my brakes later today, because of mush in the lever. However, I have never bled brakes before and I'm still figuring out exactly what I need to do. I already bought a bottle of Belray fluid. Is there a specific order I should do this? Should I do the calipers bleeder before doing the banjos?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Core, 300+ pounds? If so, nothing's going to work when it comes to the stock shock and spring. You need a custom setup to get any sort of decent performance out of the bike. Respring in the front will probably eventually be needed as well.

But it's your first year riding, I wouldn't be too concerned about any of that. Focus on yourself, not the bike, and go from there.

I have to disagree. I weighed about that when I bought my SV and on the stock springs/shock it was an unstable, unpredictable, pogoing, seesawing mess. The best thing I ever did was swap the springs for a set from Sonic Springs and add a Penske double clicker to the rear. It completely changed the way the bike handled and it gave me huge amounts more confidence, since I was no longer fighting the bike.

For someone of that weight, a stock suspension SV is drat near unrideable.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Hey Z3n, on the SV is it normal for the base of the bleed screws to weep a bit of brake fluid after being bled? I know I got them closed, but they dripped quite a bit of fluid afterwards, which I cleaned up. After pumping the front brake lever literally about 100 times, there was no sign of any more seepage, but it still freaked me out a bit.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Since the 2nd gen tails are already LED, I doubt that there is an easy way to brighten them (unless you're willing to open the unit up and replace individual LEDs). Have you considered adding Hyperlites to the rear of the bike? They look a bit dorky, but they do what they're supposed to. My dad has them on the back of his bike and there is no way you can miss them.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
What sort of tire pressures are people using on second gens? I got the Michelin Pilot Powers installed and mostly scrubbed in, but I'm not really sure about what the ideal tire pressure for the street is. So for now I'm running stock pressure (33f/36r). Any suggestions?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

ranathari posted:

Use what the tyre manufacturer suggest for the tyre unless you have a better reason. I'm running 38f/42r with Bridgestone BT-021s.

I actually called Michelin and they told me to use whatever Suzuki specified, which is what I'm doing, but I've heard of people running much higher pressures (like you) thus my confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Do you notice any power difference between the Jardine and the stock system?

• Locked thread