Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
npn
Mar 7, 2006

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I have a GS500 I have ridden for a few months and it has a host of problems I really dont feel like fixing anymore. I feel very comfortable (confident) riding it. Would an SV650 be an ok step up or am I going to feel like I have too much power for someone who has only been riding since august?

The 650 is awesome, don't give me an answer I don't want to hear :(
I made the exactly the same transition a few weeks ago (started riding in August and have a broken GS too...) and, given you're reasonably confident in your abilities, would have no trouble recommending it. I find the SV easier to ride than the GS both from a handling and throttle control point of view but as TheFonz said you do need to remember that you're riding something with more horsepower, more torque and more pronounced engine braking. There's been a few interesting moments when I've momentarily forgotten these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

npn
Mar 7, 2006

Phy posted:

Totally out of left field: How does an SV hold up for light-duty touring? (read: weekend to a week or so)
In my experience, great. I've done a month long, 7000km trip with days upto 800km on my 2002 650n on all sorts of roads, including 150km dirt stretches, and have had absolutely no complaints.

Stock seat, pro-taper bars.

• Locked thread