Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

two bros and the SV: a loving amazing combination. Don't setle for the stock can.

Z3n can you comment at all on brake upgrades and gsxr front ends? Wanna do both to my 07 over winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

if you lift up the tank and take the air filter cover off you can remove the 'snorkel' which is a reatrictive air tube put in place to protect the air filter from debris. It's safe to remove. Better air flow, little more power, way cooler sound.

Not mine but super awesome:

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 15, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

fuuuuuuck

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 15, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm running Pilot Powers CT2's on my SV and I love them over the stockers. Great tires. I was a bit worried about wet/cold weather performance but so far they've been just fine.

Can anyone recommend a set of flush mount or nice replacement stock turn signals?

A buddy was riding my SV today when he locked up the front and went down at about 10mph or so, my SV got it's first taste of pavement. Big honkin frame sliders did a great job of saving most of the bike, but the plastics got rashed a little bit and my turn signal got destroyed, along with my shift lever and left footpeg.

So it goes...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Eye for an eye

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

To get to the battery you'll need to get under the seat. It'll be a simple operation, and there is no need for a center stand while you are charging the battery up.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is a ton of good information here:

http://www.sv650.org/sv_faq.htm

Though I couldn't googlefu' you the idle screw, Z3n will likely be along shortly...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 30, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ranathari posted:

Don't forget that both the carb and the FI models of the SV can be restricted to 33hp if you're really not sure you can handle the full 70hp. 33 is still good for 100mph and you'll be faster off the line that any car on the road outside of proper performance ones.

What are you talking about, pulling plugs to run a thumper?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah, the more you know...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Simkin posted:

Wouldn't a retard eliminator just be some burly dude kicking JTS off of his bike? :iiam:
Thank you for this.

Also I think it's pre-2006, might be pre-2007 SVs had issues with the spark plugs getting wet and shutting off. My 2007 has 2 plugs per cylinder which I'm pretty sure is unique to 2007+ bikes. I think around 06 is when they started protecting the plugs from water a bit better out of the factory, before that it was common for people to buy a bit of extra protection or rig something up to keep water off the front plug which in heavy rain was prone to giving out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Before I pulled the trigger on some parts I wanted to get an CA opinion. As I mentioned a few weeks ago a buddy of mine rear ended my bike into ZOOL and then low sided.

To get road legal again, I need signals and a new rearset. There will be a lot of things I replace just to bring the bike back to the state I want it in, but I have to start there.

I'm looking at these signals Rumble Flushmount LED's - I don't suspect much in the way of issues around these guys.

And these rearsets ValterMoto Type 3. For the rearset, can anyone make any comments on installation or comfort? I think thats what I'm going to pull the trigger on.

Then I just need to decide what I want to do about my plastics. Good condition still, but got a bit of rash. To repaint, or replace.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks for the info Z3n, I guess i'm just looking to clean things up a bit, since the stockers have always been a bit of an eye sore. Looking for the brightest pair of flushmounts I can find.

PM inbound.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zenaida posted:

I went to cyclegear and bought these:

I'll probably install them on Saturday.

Please let us know how they work out. I think thats the set I'm looking to get.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

the mono tail price includes a replacement that gets rid of the bar. I've been running without for about a year and haven't missed it. I think it cleans it up a bit.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

or just let your buddies ride it. Betweeen rear end in a top hat UPS drivers and the back of Zools kawi, they are sure to scuff it for you.

To make it up to my SV I had to go big for Christmas, parts arrive this week and I can't wait. Now if the snow will gently caress on off all will be good

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

1) New Rear tire (Power Pilots)
2) Zero Gravity or PUIG Double Bubble Wind Screen (opinions??)
3) Fender Eliminator and Tail Lights - Motrax has a good little license plate bracket with holes for turn signals, might grab that for $20
4) New Fork Seals
5) Motosliders

Move the motosliders higher up the priority list. A good set of frame sliders could potentially be your very best investment. The difference between sliders/no sliders can be huge in a basic drop or anything worse.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

I can't help but think that I want to grab an 04...to stop all this stupid carburetor/sparkplug bullshit.

And get the sexy tail-lights :allears:

Sounds to me like your bike just needs a little love. Alternatively, you can be proactive about it and search for the issues or keep fixing them as they pop up, but theres little the previous owner could have done to it to turn it into a lemon. I imagine at some point you'll have caught all the neglected errors and reach a SV reliability normality.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

There is a reason so many people race sv's. I had full throttle for 2 HOURS yesterday and it's still rocking :). (107mph indicated LOLZ)

Full throttle, even indicated, should be quite a bit better than 107. Were you loaded to the brim with weight?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I dont know what you mean by 'standard mount'. I went with the Two Bros. It's real deep, not offensively loud (I dont think) and I think is one of the better sounds an SV is capable of making.

You do have to do a little hack saw action though. Nothing hard.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Today I put my SV up for sale. It's not even gone yet and I'm already starting to miss it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

They are both black and round though.

Sounds like my ex-wife!

*ahem*

Anyone have tips on how to get the rubber stopper thing out of the clip ons (what the bar end screws into).

So it goes Bar end - Long screw - through rubber stopper - tightens into nut on the other side. The rubber stopper is locked in place in about the middle and the nut on the inside appears to be oriented the wrong way and not able to be reached. Any good way to pull this out?

Edit: The answer is: Persistence.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 29, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

jack plz post more wheelie vids with your SV n' sik hidz

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I found the SV to be a fantastic long haul vehicle, gobbling up 600 mile days without problems. More if your a real man.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

headshot24 posted:

Call me crazy but the curvy look just doesn't do it for me :iiam:

I know I could save a good bit by getting one but I like the gen 2 look better.

I'd say you have good taste :)

Gen 1 nakeds are hot though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Or a TL1000.

And someone who can make you a coffin on the cheap. You might save extra for only having to fit half a body in, so bargain.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They don't.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You're gunna get poo poo on you back and the rear end of the bike, that's just all there is.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If its big enough, but if its big enough it usually looks super goofy itself. So, can you have good looks and a clean back? I'm not sure it can be done.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

And so... whats old is new again.

I started on an SV650S, and traded up until today, when I bought another SV650S.

Pictures will have to come later.

I wanted a bike for the track and that I wouldn't feel bad putting boring commuter miles on. I'm trying to migrate my riding habits to off public road activities as much as I can, so dirt bike, track supermoto and now a track bike.

It's a 2004 SVS, 8,600 miles on the odo

Full hot bodies track plastics w/ gas tank
Full set of original street plastics w/ OEM lower fairing + Gas tank in blue
Bran new Dunlop Qualifier tires
Eibach rear shock and upgraded spring sprung at my weight & stock shock
Revalved & fully adjustable forks
EBC brake pads w/ 2 spare sets
Custom billet aluminum rear sets w/ 2 spare sets
GPR steering stabilizer
Power commander
Yosh exhaust & some straight no baffle GP style exhaust (Graves?) that looks like it would be waaaaay too loud to use
OEM mono tail
Braided lines + Spare braided lines
Extra sets of throttle/clutch cables
Like new tire warmers (used once)
Box of filters
Everything is safety wired
A set of spare clip ons
Spare levers
Stomp grip pads on both tanks
Wired for transponder
Suzuki code reader & shop manual
Clean title
A ton of other odds, ends and spares I'm forgetting, sliders and such.

I'm basically set. I'm going to paint some ridiculous scheme on the track plastics, throw some 'legal enough' lights and signals on there that can be removed at a moments notice for track duty and ride the hell out of this thing.

The bike has been down, and has light scuff on some of the components but it's very minor stuff. There isn't a spec of dirt or grime on it anywhere though, chain and sprockets look immaculate, etc.

I'm so very happy with this find. I neglected to take any photos while the sun was still out though, so that'll have to wait till tomorrow. Can't wait to have a bike for the track that I'm not afraid to crash (I'm looking at you, Ducati).

I might drop a GSXR front end on it, but with all the suspension work I'm going to see how that plays out first. Maybe I'll be happy with a brake upgrade on its own. I'll use the money I was going to put to the front end on my dirt bike instead for a Sumo setup.

$1600

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Come ride it then!

Now, some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/A3rhs#gc4Bw

Took the lower fairing off for for easy loading into the truck.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

headshot24 posted:

Have SV650's went up about a grand in value on average? I priced a lot of bikes two years ago but decided against buying one while still in college, and now that I'm trying to find another it seems like they're all around $4000 :suicide:

1600 :D

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Make sure its not something stupid like the kickstand and/or clutch sensor

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ordered some Pilot One's for the upcoming track season. Will offer up my Dunlop Q2 Qualifiers as takeoffs if anyone wants em. 6 track days on them, tons of center tread left, quite a bit of max lean tread left. Not heat cycled to hell and back, not 'blueing'. I'd feel 100% comfortable doing more track days on these or riding them on the street I just want a fresh pair for 2012 since I have a lot of dates coming up.

Also, scoring some free clip ons, rear sets and takeoffs from a local SV racer next week :woop:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ziploc posted:

How bad are SV650Ns on the highway?

Absolutely fine.

I prefer naked on the highway, no fairing blasting angry air straight into your head or chest, just clean 60-80mph wind to the helmet, which is usually less jarring.

But naked, not naked, just fine.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ziploc posted:

What about the lack of debris protection? Or is that a non-issue?

Really it's pretty much a non-issue. I've done more miles on naked bikes than faired bikes; it's never been a problem.

Sometimes in the rain you wish you had something to duck down behind, but that is really only a problem when I'm riding with the DOT MX helmet on a supermoto because water to the face stings at freeway speed.

If you like the style, don't let the lack of a fairing deter you for any practical reasons- because there aren't any real draw backs and like I said, I actually think the wind blast is much nicer on a naked bike vs a sport fairing for longer distances and highway use.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tonight, Zool helped me put on the GSXR front end.

The Scotts steering dampener had to come off, sadly. Need a different adapter for the GSXR triple. $120 of course.

Also didn't order enough caliper bolts, so hopefully I can find those at a moto store tomorrow, as tomorrow night it's off to the racetrack.

R6 calipers, 320mm disks, steel lines, Brembo MC and forks worked by the local suspension guru with all new internals and setup for my weight and riding style. So very excited.

Need:

- To figure out what to do with the stock SV speed sensor.
--- How to get the speedo working on the GSXR wheel
- Mount the scotts again

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone here put on a fender eliminator and have the stock bulky huge rear fender? I'm looking for one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have an integrated tail light on the SV, but the PO removed the plate holder. It's been track only for ages and I'm trying to get it all stock before I sell it. Thus hoping to find someone who has the atrocious stock unit laying around taking up space that would like it removed for the cost of shipping...

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Dear SV thread, get your track plastics!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=33#post406669334

• Locked thread