Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone in the market for some first gen wheels w/ rains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They are absolute poo poo do not buy Chinese tires. Ever.

They don't grip, they don't heat up, they don't flex. They will however spin, slide, give out and hurt you. Riding on new shinkos is like riding on 10 year old touring tires.

Gives me the shudders

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Seriously dude. I know you wanna hear 'get the Shinkos, save the $'. Don't get the Shinkos.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I think my very first set of tires on the bike I may have worn down till just about the cord, it's a new rider thing to do.

Karma is making a valid point, but coming on a bit strong. The two things you never, ever half rear end in motorcycling are your tires and your gear. Tires are the biggest part of your bikes performance and safety, hands down. As you get more experienced you'll be able to tell the difference brand to brand and compound by compound once you have a better idea of what the 'feel' of good tires is. Tires aren't a huge expense, especially if you just need to grab a set to do some lazy riding on and aren't heading to the track all the time.

I don't know where you are located but if you have a local racing community (WERA, OMMRA, etc) you should check with the forums for cheap takeoffs. On my SV track bike I went through maybe half a dozen sets of tires in a year and a half and all of them would make great street tires. Next to no tread at the very outer edges but basically 100% life down the center where you'd use them on the street.

You can get take offs for super cheap. $50. Free sometimes. So it's worth poking around. You'll end up with a pretty aggressive tire (compound) so if you live in a very frigid climate depending on the season of riding you're doing it may not be an option. Also the tires will be V'ed (opposite of squared off) and want to turn in pretty aggressively as their profile will have been shaped by hard use on road courses. After some miles they'll flatten out a bit and become more normal.

So consider that route if the budget is tight.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Do you have stands? Many shops will charge a separate fee for on bike vs off bike installation. Many shops suck but some will mount for $20 a wheel if you bring in the wheels and tires.

You have to have stands to do that though. If you don't have the gear to do your own changes or take your wheels off you'll have to call around to anywhere that does it and bite the bullet ($$).

Paying for new tires is never fun but that first ride feels great.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's almost always cheaper to buy the tires yourself and just pay to have them mount em. Call them and ask them if you come in with two tires and a motorcycle how much it'll cost to mount em up. Should be like $60-80 for the goin' rate.

Then buy tires from motorcycle-superstore.com which is having a pretty big tire sale right now. PM me if you do, I have a 10% coupon I'm not going to use.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What year did they go to the dual plug head and was rain on the single plug head really that effective at causing spark issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That confirms it then, thanks.

• Locked thread