Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

HClChicken posted:

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/air-filter-sv650-1999-2006.html

Is this the correct air filter( under 2003-2009) The detailed images look like the aftermarket, but the top image looks different.

If you can't find OEM then Hi-Flo air filters are equally as good for cheaper. No point pissing away money on a K&N or BMC that'll give you no performance increase for four times the price.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the airbox shape change between the 99-02 and 03-09 models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

HClChicken posted:

I'm not sure, but I can't even find out how to order the part on that site.

Order through resellers usually. I got mine off Wemoto for £15 when an OEM filter is £20 and K&N/BMC are £40. I have no idea what US resellers would be.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
RiDE magazine in the UK did a multi-page overview of the SV, which someone's scanned and uploaded here. Not worth reading if you're a semi-competent SV owner because there's nothing new in it but it's not half bad for people contemplating buying an SV.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Other option is aftermarket springs for the forks. I run Hagon progressive springs in my forks and they're certainly way better all-rounders than OEM springs - you won't see outstanding improvement in any one area but across the board the suspension will feel better.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

I paired this with a fork oil change because if you're moving up spring rates, chances are you're going to need more damping to keep things in line. I'd call a company like racetech and see what they have to say about recommend fork oil weights...their spring rate search function is here:
http://old.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchstreet.asp

I quite liked the Hagons because they're universal rather than you picking from specific spring rates to suit you. The pack includes their recommended weight of fork oil so it's a lovely simple job for home mechanics to do - very little thinking required.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
The year/age of the bike doesn't really factor into the level of maintenance required but the level of care its had under the previous owners does. An old bike that's been well cared for will need less work than a newer bike that's been used and abused.

The SV is pretty light on maintenance anyway and it's actually quite an easy bike to learn how to spanner with - if you learn to do basic things like oil and filter changes, brake pad changes etc. then you can just turf the harder stuff to a mechanic. You don't need more than a small toolkit to do the small tasks with and they're universal to any bike.

The stock suspension is crap for anyone who weighs over 100lb but if you've never ridden before, you won't realise how crap it is and you certainly won't be affected by it. I'm about the same weight and height as you and the stock suspension didn't bother me until I got a chance to ride better bikes. If it does bother you, you can get replacement fork internals and a rear shock done, which isn't that expensive.

Unless your girlfriend's a podgy lardarse, it'll handle 2-up riding fine. Just don't expect miraculous handling or acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
You've turned the key too far - just past the steering lock is another notch that keeps the front centre light on and the rear light so the bike's visible if parked in the dark.

• Locked thread