Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Heparin infusions and insulin infusions are the one's here.

Insulin/lovenox injections aren't required for dual sign off which is super nice. We used to have to dual sign insulin where I worked previously, but this was before/the early beginnings of when we got those insulin pens.

I wonder how many hypoglycemic sentinel events those pens have stopped when a nurse who has no clue what they're doing was like "oh I need to give 2 units" and proceeds to pull 2 CC's into a 3CC syringe and administer it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonary
Dec 2, 2006

My first facility required cosigning on Epic for subq insulin. Next hospital did not, only insulin infusions.

For a short while, my L&D unit was requiring 2 RN paper signatures for Foleys because someone left the iodine swabs in the vag.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Poisonary posted:

My first facility required cosigning on Epic for subq insulin. Next hospital did not, only insulin infusions.

For a short while, my L&D unit was requiring 2 RN paper signatures for Foleys because someone left the iodine swabs in the vag.

:stare:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Our two-nurse presence requirement for Foleys and straight caths was to ensure sterility was maintained. I didn't mind it, in case I missed with the first attempt and needed someone to go get me another cath. Of course I learned quick to grab two to start. But we had a whole checklist that needed to be filled out and signed by both nurses attesting to sterile technique.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
The HCA hospital I'm working for sent me a letter last week along the lines of "take this 40$ an hour paycut or we're cutting you at the start of May." Nobody else is paying more and it only gave me 2 weeks to find a new position so I decided to stay, but I think I'm the only traveler I've talked to so far who did. The staffing here is already awful, may 1st is gonna suuuuuuck. Even with COVID mostly gone here they're busting at the seams. 7 Med-surg patients is not terribly unusual. They have a union but the union seems to be entirely toothless. The obvious solution? HCA applied to open another hospital.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

The HCA hospital I'm working for sent me a letter last week along the lines of "take this 40$ an hour paycut or we're cutting you at the start of May." Nobody else is paying more and it only gave me 2 weeks to find a new position so I decided to stay, but I think I'm the only traveler I've talked to so far who did. The staffing here is already awful, may 1st is gonna suuuuuuck. Even with COVID mostly gone here they're busting at the seams. 7 Med-surg patients is not terribly unusual. They have a union but the union seems to be entirely toothless. The obvious solution? HCA applied to open another hospital.

HCA and Ascension are some of the worst private hospital systems you could work for, and it would probably be a better move to apply as a clinic nurse/become homeless than work for those companies.

nursing note: when I worked as a house supervisor, I felt absolutely awful when I gave someone an assignment of 5-6 patients. Routinely having 7 patients sounds so god drat dangerous lmao.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Anyone else been going ham on overtime? I just checked my paystub and I've had 45 hours of OT and 102 hours of consecutive weekend so far this year. I think I'm now good for a while lol.

In other news, I've started the application process to NY state. I'm educated in Canada and never wrote the NCLEX so I've got a ways to go before I explore the US travel nurse life as a possibility. I've also looked at travel nursing in Canada - while not as lucrative it would be a good way to see some of the country. I've started that application process as well but am taking it much more leisurely.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Anyone else been going ham on overtime? I just checked my paystub and I've had 45 hours of OT and 102 hours of consecutive weekend so far this year. I think I'm now good for a while lol.

In other news, I've started the application process to NY state. I'm educated in Canada and never wrote the NCLEX so I've got a ways to go before I explore the US travel nurse life as a possibility. I've also looked at travel nursing in Canada - while not as lucrative it would be a good way to see some of the country. I've started that application process as well but am taking it much more leisurely.

I'm still on orientation so they're not allowing me to dip into OT while i'm training. Kinda sucks since I can only pick up shifts later in the week for my PRN E.D gig.

I am getting paid 4 hours a week of straight time to do modules/education while at home, so I get a nice 80 hours a pay period which is nice. I can usually slip a single E.D shift in on a friday/saturday which is straight OT.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

For 2021, I clocked in at 643 hours of OT.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Etrips posted:

For 2021, I clocked in at 643 hours of OT.

My charge did around 1100 OT hours, at $180/hr OT rate. drat.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

OK, wow. That it is a ton of hours - and cash! That definitely puts things into perspective for me lol. The most we ever get is 1.5x so I don't see numbers like that!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Jesus. We get time and a half plus $10, or $20 for nights. I'd work myself to the bone for $180 an hour lmao

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Nice and hot piss posted:

Jesus. We get time and a half plus $10, or $20 for nights. I'd work myself to the bone for $180 an hour lmao

I think it was $170 before the paycut, 1.5 plus a 22/hr extra hour bonus, but I didn't do it as much as I wanted because it sucks and I'd talk myself out of it. Straight nights grinds on you.

Nice and hot piss posted:

HCA and Ascension are some of the worst private hospital systems you could work for, and it would probably be a better move to apply as a clinic nurse/become homeless than work for those companies.

nursing note: when I worked as a house supervisor, I felt absolutely awful when I gave someone an assignment of 5-6 patients. Routinely having 7 patients sounds so god drat dangerous lmao.

Haven't worked for ascension, but yeah, Mission in Asheville NC, hot garbage. My girlfriend is with Healthtrust and Im desperately trying to get her on Trusted with me. Lol at just 7, I've had 7 on COVID units here, I've heard of nights with 8, and they've started firing travelers on the spot for refusing to float to the med-surg floors with 7. Including 1 who apparently had it written into her contract that she didn't have to take more than 6. Ascension reported a significant profitability loss due largely to labor costs, every system is gonna start putting the screws to travelers this summer.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

awkward_turtle posted:

I think it was $170 before the paycut, 1.5 plus a 22/hr extra hour bonus, but I didn't do it as much as I wanted because it sucks and I'd talk myself out of it. Straight nights grinds on you.

Haven't worked for ascension, but yeah, Mission in Asheville NC, hot garbage. My girlfriend is with Healthtrust and Im desperately trying to get her on Trusted with me. Lol at just 7, I've had 7 on COVID units here, I've heard of nights with 8, and they've started firing travelers on the spot for refusing to float to the med-surg floors with 7. Including 1 who apparently had it written into her contract that she didn't have to take more than 6. Ascension reported a significant profitability loss due largely to labor costs, every system is gonna start putting the screws to travelers this summer.

Hca is sketchy af. I work for a contracted anesthesia group. HCA is constantly trying to recruit me away from my group (Im contracted to HCA hospitals) to go work for Mission in Asheville.

However, that $180 ot might be better than some of my crna call pay and that is wild. However, I’d never go back to the icu or Ed for any amount of money.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Edit: meh

computer angel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 20, 2022

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Ah, dang, I just emailed myself my "pop quiz" that I give my students. Ah well.

So I've been in the process of applying for license in NY and have to go through CGFNS as I'm from Canada. What I didn't anticipate is how slow of a service they would be. Although, like any agency that relies on paper work I really shouldn't be so surprised. They processed the first part of my application in a matter of days but another part has been going on 4+ weeks (and they won't confirm if they've received it, unlike the other parts) which is very frustrating.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Ah, dang, I just emailed myself my "pop quiz" that I give my students. Ah well.

So I've been in the process of applying for license in NY and have to go through CGFNS as I'm from Canada. What I didn't anticipate is how slow of a service they would be. Although, like any agency that relies on paper work I really shouldn't be so surprised. They processed the first part of my application in a matter of days but another part has been going on 4+ weeks (and they won't confirm if they've received it, unlike the other parts) which is very frustrating.

I feel you. Two years ago i transferred my Ontario license to Florida. The process was glacial and there was no way to track the progress.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Got pulled over to cath lab this week to run the massive transfusion protocol on a patient that was arresting. Wow, did I ever feel out of my element there. I foolishly ruined a sterile field on a tray table because I thought it was my space to put some equipment down.

Meanwhile the patient was in and out of PEA at least 5 times while I'm pumping blood product in. Thankfully the ICU fellow with me was kind enough to handle titration of the pressors because I had my hands full. Even worse off after about 15 units the clamps started failing so I would get back flow every time I spiked a new bag - ie. Dripping blood or plasma all over my gloves and shoes. After a while they finally paged CVT to come and do some surgical intervention. Id been in there for over 90 minutes at this point. so we carted him down to the OR where I was promptly kicked out (not in OR garb). I more or less just said "the line is triple clamped and the ranger isn't plugged in k byeeee".

I will say I learned a few things during the experience, mainly about working in small quarters and keeping track of what I've given / been responsible for. Not the most calm code I've been to. I can say that much.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I have been looking at masters programs so I can move further away from clinical nursing (already not patient facing anyways) but I see the costs and the potential wages in another field and wonder why bother doing anything aside from a checkbox masters and just sleepwalk up the chain.

I would be a great fit for informatics as I have IT/IM experience but I actually need to find a job and probably will make less than I already do unless I can jump directly to c-suite or director level. EM would be another fit but I can probably just do ICS and network to get there and again… less money.

Nursing is such easy work to find right now because there is no one. I can pick up a ton or just not and have huge stretches off but I look at my coworkers and I don’t have the spirit of a lifer but it’s a really gucci job for what it pays.

It’s hard to get motivated right now. :eng99:

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

my morning jackass posted:

Nursing is such easy work to find right now because there is no one. I can pick up a ton or just not and have huge stretches off but I look at my coworkers and I don’t have the spirit of a lifer but it’s a really gucci job for what it pays.

Golden Chains man. I'm kinda controversial cause I agree, it's managment is exploitative but the work is, frankly, not all that bad for the pay (which is normally much less than I was posting above). Emotionally trying more than physically. I've been in r/Travelnursing some and I'm kinda disgusted by the attitudes there. Sure, hard at times but I'm from a very rural part of the south, and if I had to choose between nursing and laying hot tar in the sun for a state road crew, I choose nursing. I've thought about going back to be an educator though, I love teaching.

In other news I'm doing the training for a hospital that uses Meditech right now. We will see how using it feels. It's definitely a loop for someone used to Cerner and Epic style flowsheets but... I kinda like it? Parts of it make so much more sense even if it kinda looks like a windows 3.1 program. Plans of Care look waaaaaay more intuative. My gut is telling me that there's less to modify and therefore hospital admin hasn't been able to make it stupid. I have worked with some very stupid Cerner Millennium flowsheets.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Hi I need some advice and perspectives?!

A few months ago I quit my job of 7+ years (vested union job in NYC) to go travel. After putting in my 4 weeks notice the rates for travel nurses dropped significantly.

Fortunately I am still able to work at my old job as a per-diem employee. I don't have health insurance but I still in the union and can work as much or as little as I want making $70/hr.

Most contracts out there do pay more than I would make here but not usually enough to justify the inconvenience of leaving a familiar job down the street from my house and having to worry about things like finding a new place to live and probably getting a car (currently commute via subway).

Do we think rates may go back up? There are indeed some contracts in California that pay 5k/week but the process for getting my NY state license recognized over there looks to be a long process.

I'm also using the Vivian app pretty much exclusively. Should I be reaching out directly to agencies also? Am I missing much that might not be on this app?

Any tips/advice?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
The CA BRN is a mess that is heated at the best of times. Pre-COVID, it felt like they had 3 people running the joint. Lordt only knows what it’s looking like now.

Look to endorse your NY license to a compact state, and from there you can work in any other compact state. I keep my TX license active still for this reason.

The quoted rates certainly are going down, but I’m still getting ads for $3k/week for tele and progressive care, $3.5k+ for ICU. But remember the best rates will be the shittiest work environments. That’s why they need the nursenaries that bad.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I accidentally clicked on this thread and holy poo poo nurses make like 2-300k? I'm in the wrong business!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

slurm posted:

I accidentally clicked on this thread and holy poo poo nurses make like 2-300k? I'm in the wrong business!
Very, very rarely and only by taking a ton of overtime and loving awful assignments in the middle of what was a huge staffing crisis.

Realistically you're looking at 80.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Ravenfood posted:

Very, very rarely and only by taking a ton of overtime and loving awful assignments in the middle of what was a huge staffing crisis.

Realistically you're looking at 80.

That seems like too little!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hi I need some advice and perspectives?!

A few months ago I quit my job of 7+ years (vested union job in NYC) to go travel. After putting in my 4 weeks notice the rates for travel nurses dropped significantly.

Fortunately I am still able to work at my old job as a per-diem employee. I don't have health insurance but I still in the union and can work as much or as little as I want making $70/hr.

Most contracts out there do pay more than I would make here but not usually enough to justify the inconvenience of leaving a familiar job down the street from my house and having to worry about things like finding a new place to live and probably getting a car (currently commute via subway).

Do we think rates may go back up? There are indeed some contracts in California that pay 5k/week but the process for getting my NY state license recognized over there looks to be a long process.

I'm also using the Vivian app pretty much exclusively. Should I be reaching out directly to agencies also? Am I missing much that might not be on this app?

Any tips/advice?

From what I understand from talking to other travelers is that the Vivian app likes to bait and switch a lot. It’s better to get in contact with an agency(ies) to start building a rapport with so they know exactly what you want / are looking for.

I don’t think the abundant 10k/week honeypot will be there anymore, but the need for travelers isn’t going anywhere. At least until Covid mutates into another super variant.

As for California license, I know a few coworkers who recently left didn’t have that much trouble getting it in terms of time, I think 4-6 weeks? Where it used to be like 6 months precovid.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

slurm posted:

That seems like too little!

You get all the individual size peanut butter you want though.

Did I mention heated blankets for night shift?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Ok, I am coming at this completely ignorant/blind, but I’ve had a local clinical trial company reach out about a PRN Rad safety spot. Would anyone here be gracious enough to share their opinions about both the clinical trial space and/or doing it PRN? I haven’t done Rad Safety in a few years (but find it interesting), but if it’s already red flags galore, I’ll just let it slide.

(apologies if this is not the right thread)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Keep your eyes/ears open for what is about to happen in Minnesota. Basically the entire state of nurses voted to authorize a strike.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Koivunen posted:

Keep your eyes/ears open for what is about to happen in Minnesota. Basically the entire state of nurses voted to authorize a strike.

Why? What happened?

Edit: Pining date announced! December 8th! So... drat... close...

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Got pulled over to cath lab this week to run the massive transfusion protocol on a patient that was arresting. Wow, did I ever feel out of my element there. I foolishly ruined a sterile field on a tray table because I thought it was my space to put some equipment down.

Meanwhile the patient was in and out of PEA at least 5 times while I'm pumping blood product in. Thankfully the ICU fellow with me was kind enough to handle titration of the pressors because I had my hands full. Even worse off after about 15 units the clamps started failing so I would get back flow every time I spiked a new bag - ie. Dripping blood or plasma all over my gloves and shoes. After a while they finally paged CVT to come and do some surgical intervention. Id been in there for over 90 minutes at this point. so we carted him down to the OR where I was promptly kicked out (not in OR garb). I more or less just said "the line is triple clamped and the ranger isn't plugged in k byeeee".

I will say I learned a few things during the experience, mainly about working in small quarters and keeping track of what I've given / been responsible for. Not the most calm code I've been to. I can say that much.

Why did they need so much product?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Just realized I never responded to that! As far as I remember one of the atria had a micro perf.

But since then I had another wild experience. I'm on mobile so I'll just briefly say it went from intubation to PEA arrest to bedside ECMO cannulation to massive transfusion protocol. That... was a tough day.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Nurses across the state of Minnesota are striking tomorrow. Stay tuned…

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'm working for the most highly regarded SNFs in my area, one good enough that employees bring their relatives there, and even past employees have chosen to be admitted there, and it's still so much corner-cutting and penny pinching that it's been shocking. god help anyone working for or being cared for in some private-equity-owned hellhole in a "pro business" state

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 13, 2022

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Welp, I'm in a bit of a predicament here.

I'm actively looking for jobs and I've thrown my application to two positions.

My current potential options are:

Infection prevention job. No longer a nurse, but I start a career down the public health route. Pays fine, but it's 5 days a week..but days, however 5 days a week. Wife works 3 per week

Flight nurse, dream job. Have to travel 6-8 hours for 4 days of work, then I get 12 days off. Would do it for a year or two waiting to get on board with the local company

Quit my job and go PRN between the two ICU'S and the e.ds. Not full time, could work full time hours but I'm at the whim of whatevers open

This is of course not based on being offered the positions. I have the experience and I am very qualified for. Elimination could make my choices a lot easier. I don't mind driving, but I also feel like 6+ hours to and from, twice a week will be rough, especially if I'm needing to leave early due to crappy weather.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Get pilot's license, buy used plane, commute shrinks by half?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Get pilot's license, buy used plane, commute shrinks by half?

So funny story, I was actually gonna do that when I flew air ambulance in El paso (mainly to just fly around) but the cost of everything just owning a plane, or at least one appropriate to fly around this area comes out to around $250 an hour? So while it would be fun as all get out, I would be paying out the rear end just to go to work lol

Also this is 2015 prices, I'm sure it's way, way more expensive to own and operate a private plane.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Oh for sure, "general aviation" is the second worst possible financial decision anyone can make, after "cash bonfire"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Oh for sure, "general aviation" is the second worst possible financial decision anyone can make, after "cash bonfire"
Boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

dont shatter my houseboat dreams. i just accepted a job offer from a hospital by a lake