Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

krazynuts posted:

This might sound silly, but I am interested in becoming a nurse. I am in college now going for my BS in biology and I already have a nursing school in mind.
My question is, if nursing school is so intensive, did you have time to work? If so, where? If not, how did you survive?
I'm a pediatrics unit clerk, and the two coworkers of mine I can immediately think of who go to nursing school don't really work. One of them still picks up a handful of shifts a month at night, and the other took a leave of absence but has a husband to support her. Student loans, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here have experience at going from terrible grades in another major into being accepted for a nursing program? I am a 3 year Electrical Engineering major and I hate my field, so I am looking at going into an RN program. The downside is, my grades are TERRIBLE due to the EE classes that I sucked at. Any advice on how to improve my chances at getting accepted into a program? Should I find out what the prereqs are for my school and just take them over and try to ace it or what?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone here have experience at going from terrible grades in another major into being accepted for a nursing program? I am a 3 year Electrical Engineering major and I hate my field, so I am looking at going into an RN program. The downside is, my grades are TERRIBLE due to the EE classes that I sucked at. Any advice on how to improve my chances at getting accepted into a program? Should I find out what the prereqs are for my school and just take them over and try to ace it or what?

At my college the requirement is a 2.0 in your core classes and a minimum 3.0 in the prereq classes (anatomy, chemistry, micro and physio).

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
Saw the thread title and had to laugh. My mother has been a LVN for a few months now, and my sister was just accepted into a BSN program. Me? I'm applying to law schools. Eheh.

Do go. Lots of jobs. Live and die loved.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Hughmoris posted:

The issue with many nursing programs right now is that there are not enough nursing educators. Back when I was in school, the minimum was 2.8, and was raised to 3.0 before I left.

The thing is, over 300 students applied for only 80 spots, so the lowest GPA accepted was 3.48, in my year anyways.

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004
Go sell stupid someplace else.
For current students:

I am currently in my third semester of pre-nursing classes for an ASN. I've been hearing that I might NOT start clinicals in August. Since the clinical portion, the nursing portion, is two MORE years, I am thinking of transferring for my BSN, which would be six more semesters, instead of 4-5 more. I am going to get my BSN no matter what, so the ASN versus BSN argument isn't the issue here. This is:

My school:

Ladder program. I already have my CNA, and after two semesters of the actual nursing program, I will be eligible to take the LPN exam. In fact, it is required that you take it. (I guess in the past people who failed the RN exam wanted to go back and take the LPN one, but that isn't allowed.)

Cheap cheap community college. $135 a credit.

Seems pretty flexible for a mom like me. I'm 40, 3 kids, one disabled, and my husband works out of town for weeks, months on end. They seem very sympathetic to nontraditional students.

Well known program with a high NCLEX pass rate. Second highest in the state.

I'm in Phi Theta Kappa, which means if I GRADUATE from my school, the school with the BSN program will give me half tuition, and I have other scholarship opportunities because of it.

Other school:

BSN
3 years of clinicals instead of 2 (but I am looking at 2-2.5 years more of school at the CC)

Very expensive. I don't get any aid, just loans.

I probably won't get the 50% tuition reduction if I transfer before graduating the
CC.

I probably will be eligible for NO Phi Theta Kappa scholarships, but I should be eligible for some transfer scholarships

School is very much geared towards students just out of high school. My CC is a commuter college, most of the students at this one live on campus.

May have less flexibility with clinical hours than the CC, and with classes

I really am not sure which way to go. I can see pros and cons to both, but figured I would ask students what kind of program they liked better (ASN, BSN, RN to BSN bridge program) and even what demographics they saw in their schools. Did a lot of older people attend at traditional 4 year colleges, for example.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

So, I just got out of a psych ward literally five hours ago and I have to say, I was incredibly impressed by the nurses working there. One RN in particular, Mary Ann, was freaking amazing and I have no idea how she managed to say the right thing at the right time constantly. Anyway, though I was hideously depressed, I still found myself kind of enjoying talking to the other patients and helping them to work through things. Eun, a manic depressive Korean woman who happened to be my roommate, was especially interesting to talk to, and I really felt like I bonded with her. Even though I didn't understand half the things she said and I know she's probably never going to have a 'normal' happy life, I really enjoyed talking through her manic stages and just kinda managing her, making sure she wasn't getting herself into trouble and talking to her when she needed it.

What's being a psych nurse like? What kind of jobs are out there for it? I've always kinda wanted to do this, but the stay in the psych ward made me realize just how influential and meaningful someone working at a psych ward can be. Problem is, I am awful at science and math. Seriously. I like psychology and sociology much more, to be honest, and I know nursing takes a lot of math and science. Any other ideas for psych ward jobs?

And btw, all of the goon psych ward nurses have no idea how much you help. From Mary Ann tossing me a beanbag bear to squeeze when my anxiety was awful to the nurse who gave me a xanax off the record because she knew the doctor on call would have given me a sedative that would have been way too much to the nurse who checked up on me after reading my mental health survey to make sure I was okay. They made much more of a difference than the psychiatrist and psychologist did. They were there for me when I just needed a safe place to be and someone to help me when I needed it. So thanks nurses, your patients appreciate you, even if we don't tell you or act like it.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Effexxor posted:

From Mary Ann tossing me a beanbag bear to squeeze when my anxiety was awful to the nurse who gave me a xanax off the record because she knew the doctor on call would have given me a sedative that would have been way too much to the nurse
Ignoring doctors orders and giving patients commonly abused meds isn't the sign of a good nurse.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Doppelganger posted:

Ignoring doctors orders and giving patients commonly abused meds isn't the sign of a good nurse.

Where the gently caress did she get that xanax? She likely stole it from another patients PRN (As needed) list and could lose her license for poo poo like that. But, on the other hand, I am a psyche nurse and can answer your questions. I'm an LPN going through an LPN-BSN bridge program at the time so that I may join the military. Psyche nursing is different than other forms of nursing. Your patients are more often than not drug addicts with poorly thought up psyche diagnoses from doctors just labeling them with one so that their insurance will cover them. Psyche is a lot less paperwork and more hands on patient care. Not in the helping them to the bathroom sense but more the "Oh god, where did they go" or "Oh god, did a male just wander into a female room?" and watching your back and those of the patients from the more unstable ones. There are lock down rooms for violent patients. These are constantly monitored by camera and frequently checked up on.

Its what you make of it, thats for sure. I love it, but a lot would hate it. It can be extremely stressful to have a suicidal patient due to aids a lot of the time not keeping an eye on them as they should. The key is to be consistent and truthful with the patients. And my god, the anti-smoking ruling on hospital grounds has been hell for our patients.

dude posted:

What kind of jobs are out there for it?
As a nurse? Just like anywhere else, LPNs are usually med nurses (They give out the medications and help out with paperwork). RNs are usually the unit nurse, whom deals with deep talks with the patients and the bulk of the paperwork. There are one to two techs to assist the two of you. There is a charge nurse RN or BSN that will float between various floors and help out where you need it.

quote:

Math
There is a lot of math, I'll be straight with you. A lot of people just dont get it and others do. Read up on "med math" if you get the free time. Ill help you out best I can if you have any specific questions but itll largely be up to you.

quote:

And btw, all of the goon psych ward nurses have no idea how much you help.
Thanks! For every ten drug seeking addicts I treat theres always one patient looking for help. Those are the ones that make the job worth it.

Vagon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 3, 2009

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Axim posted:

I graduated from nursing school this June (BSN) and passed my NCLEX-RN in late august. Since September I have been looking for work, and its almost the end of November now and I have not gotten any hits.

This is New York City, almost every hospital is not hiring because of the financial crisis (plus some medicare restructuring), I've seen one or two part time positions, I'm currently on a wait list at one large hospital for OR nursing, but its tough.

I hope its better in other parts of the country because NYC is very stagnant now, hospitals need nurses but don't have the money to make more positions or to train new-grads.

Come to California, tons of positions over here.

I am a male nursing major, returning back to school after about 8 or so years off.
Right now I am getting my pre-reqs, which is a bitch because I am working and taking one class at a time, just finished my math requirements. Eventually I would like to get my Masters and become a Nurse Anesthetist or work in Nursing Informatics (Nursing + IT). The military is also an option after I graduate to pay off my loans.

For anyone wanting to become a nurse and looking for schools, only 2 major things you need to ask.

#1`what percentage of students pass the NCLEX. Personally i wouldn't bother with less than 80%, there are schools out there with 100%. USC and UCLA are 2 of the best (well known) schools out here in California and their passing rate is 50%.

#2 How long have they been in business. Again personally I wouldn't mess with anyone with less than 20 years.

If you want to become an LVN(LPN) the cheapest way is through a community college or adult high school. The programs offered on late night tv and during the day are hella expensive, and when you graduate you might be earning less per year than your cost of your school, usually $30K. The only positive part is there usually are no pre-reqs to get in and you finish in about 1 year.

In general, BS programs are easier to get in once you have the required classes. ADN programs are harder to get in because many people apply and many don't want to spend 4 years in school.

Working while in Nursing School is impossible unless you are an idiot savant and pick up everything you read. It isn't impossible but not recommended.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Ears posted:

I'm looking at a career change, and a friend who is a Nurse Practitioner suggested nursing - after listening to her advice and stories, and reading this thread, it sounds like a good match for my skills and personality.

Questions

http://www.msmary.edu/academics/majors-minors/nursing/index.html ?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

DotFortune posted:

I forget the job/certification/whatever that requires an RN certification + a degree in computer science or related field. They do IT for hospitals or something. Can anyone help me out?

Nursing Informatics. Ypu don't need an IT degree per se, a few schools have a dedicated Nursing Informatics degree you can get.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

b0nes posted:

For anyone wanting to become a nurse and looking for schools, only 2 major things you need to ask.

#1`what percentage of students pass the NCLEX. Personally i wouldn't bother with less than 80%, there are schools out there with 100%. USC and UCLA are 2 of the best (well known) schools out here in California and their passing rate is 50%.

#2 How long have they been in business. Again personally I wouldn't mess with anyone with less than 20 years.

#1 Most states require 80% or above (CT is 90%, I believe) first-time NCLEX pass rate for a school to be accredited. The national average last year was almost 86%. If you can't find a school at least that good, move.

#2 If they're accredited and have a good pass rate, who cares how long they've been in business? Nursing school doesn't teach you crap about how to be a nurse, just how to get your license. I'm not even exaggerating: not counting clinical hours, it literally teaches you nothing else.

Speaking of crap they tell you in school, if you're planning to specialize and anyone tells you to work 1-2 years on a general med/surg floor before specializing into ICU/OR/ER/OB/etc so that you don't "limit your skill set" or whatever, they're full of poo poo. I've heard a lot of people say they were told that in school, I was too. Even if you do spend those two miserable years stuck there and wishing you were somewhere else, as soon as you specialize you throw all the irrelevant poo poo out anyway; all you're left with are the things you would have learned in basic orientation from your dream position's preceptorship right off the bat. Total waste of time, just go for the gold right out of the gate.

NYFreddy
Feb 16, 2009
There's a lot of good information in this thread but I had a question.

I'm interested in becoming a male nurse as a second career. I graduated in '05 with a low GPA (2.79) and an MIS degree, so an accelerated program seems out of the question. What would be the best path for me to take? Am I looking at 4yrs? I'm 28 so, faster would be better. My math/science were low so I would have to retake those but would the other credits be salvageable? In the long term I'd be interested in nurse informatics but I'd like to leave my options open, if possible.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
If you already have a degree, the credits earned can't exactly be taken away from you. That said, every nursing school has their own admissions policies, and if an individual grade in one of your classes does not meet their standards, you'll have to retake it and do better. You'll have to contact and speak with nursing schools in your area, and weigh their individual policies and offerings against your finances and timeframe. If a 2nd degree BSN is unavailable, consider an ADN from a community college.

Footwork; and, at the risk of sounding like an rear end, you'll need to do better than 2.79.

NYFreddy
Feb 16, 2009
Ah, so its a school specific thing. Thanks.

On the GPA, I had some growing up to do. Harsh reality sobered me up.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Most BSN programs will let you in with a 2.5. That said, its good to have at least a 3.0 to actually get past a list in any timely manner. Good luck, potential male nurse buddy.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
Is there anybody out there who is a nurse for the armed forces who would be interested in talking to me about how they did it?

I'm very new to the process, so any advice is appreciated! :shobon:

Subliminal Squirrel
Dec 11, 2008
I am in my third year of a BA in English and I am kind-of-thinking-about-maybe-considering nursing school afterwards. My school has a 2-year baccalaureate degree program in nursing for people with previous bachelor's degrees, and I will probably meet the requirements. So I have some questions before I get serious about it.

quote:

I'm a male nurse, work in an ICU, and graduated from an accelerated program. If you guys don't mind, I'll answer whatever I can.

And to all male nurses: do you find you deal with a lot of "you're a guy, so you are doing task X"? I know this in particular would annoy me greatly, as I dealt with it at my last job and the management did nothing about it.

And to everyone: how often are you puked/poo poo/pissed on? Serious question.

And! You say the autonomy of nurses is increasing. But do you still get a lot of "well, you're not a doctor, so..."? I think being polite to those people would be annoying.

Thanks guys.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

b0nes posted:

I am a male nursing major, returning back to school after about 8 or so years off.
Right now I am getting my pre-reqs, which is a bitch because I am working and taking one class at a time, just finished my math requirements. Eventually I would like to get my Masters and become a Nurse Anesthetist or work in Nursing Informatics (Nursing + IT). The military is also an option after I graduate to pay off my loans.

If you want to become an LVN(LPN) the cheapest way is through a community college or adult high school. The programs offered on late night tv and during the day are hella expensive, and when you graduate you might be earning less per year than your cost of your school, usually $30K. The only positive part is there usually are no pre-reqs to get in and you finish in about 1 year.

In general, BS programs are easier to get in once you have the required classes. ADN programs are harder to get in because many people apply and many don't want to spend 4 years in school.

Working while in Nursing School is impossible unless you are an idiot savant and pick up everything you read. It isn't impossible but not recommended.

I finally found a job about two weeks ago. The unit is a cardiothoracic telemetry unit. Most patients are 2-3 days post op.

I am somewhat excited, and I am currently forcing myself to re-read my cardio nursing school lectures, just so I don't feel completely lost my first few weeks on the unit.

Axim fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 14, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Subliminal Squirrel posted:

And to all male nurses: do you find you deal with a lot of "you're a guy, so you are doing task X"? I know this in particular would annoy me greatly, as I dealt with it at my last job and the management did nothing about it.

Never really been an issue for me, but things vary depending on where you work. Guys are really common in the ICU or ED and no one really notices your gender. Expect more awkwardness as you move away from critical care and the female/male ratio skews further.

quote:

They make contact about once a month but I'm pretty good at dodging. I'd say about one near-miss a week. Honestly though, you won't notice after a bit. Gross sort of loses all meaning.

quote:

And! You say the autonomy of nurses is increasing. But do you still get a lot of "well, you're not a doctor, so..."? I think being polite to those people would be annoying.

Thanks guys.

The only place I've ever gotten that is outside the hospital, and usually from people who know nothing about health care. They don't really bother me much because everyone I know who has seen an ICU nurse in action has the same "Woah... I didn't know you guys did that" response.

People in the hospital have never really given me any crap. They tend to be completely bewildered by all the numbers, machines, vocabulary and sounds. Nurses are usually their source of information about what all these things actually mean. If you walk them through those things, they tend to trust you and your coworkers. The only nurses I know who get their competency questioned are the ones who give the impression that they have no idea what they're talking about.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Subliminal Squirrel posted:

I work on a medical telemetry floor, so we see lots of non-surgical patients with heart problems and/or clotting issues. Basically, it's what you'd call "med/surg tele" with very little surgical. Males are 10-13% of the RN staff.

Having a penis make me excellent at lifting. That is, "boosting" up in beds, "helping" fluid overloaded 80-year-olds get from bed to commode and back, and log rolling for linen changes and wound care. To be fair, I'm larger/stronger than 95% of my coworkers, so it's not like I'm a bad choice when "extra lift help" is needed. Also to be fair, the techs on my floor do 20x the lifting I do for 1/2 the pay, so I try not to bitch much.

In 5 years I've actually been soiled one time (exploding illeostomy). Come to think of it, I've been punched in the face 3 times during that same period.

good n plenty
Jun 14, 2008

Hello Nurses
My aunt is a NP, now practicing in Las Placitas, New Mexico. After graduating, she lived several places around the country, working at any nearby hospital for two or three years, after which time she'd take an extended trip out of the country. She's settled now, but the idea of being free to go/do what you choose due to universal need for nurses to this day strikes me as incredibly appealing.

My mother graduated with a BA in elementary ed, is now 50 and is returning to our local community college to get her associate's in nursing. I'm enrolled at UNC-CH, currently majoring in linguistics, though that may change very soon due to my own research about the nursing profession and my mother's (to me inspiring) example.

So, I've got a few questions about nursing!
Is there any downside to this kind of "transient nurse" behavior? I'd assume that 10 years experience in one hospital might lead to generally higher pay at than 10 years at several, but I'm no expert. Is the kind of freedom I described typical? Is the nursing degree in America comparable to international standards (ie, does earning a BSN open overseas job opportunities?) Have any of you nurses worked with Doctors Without Borders (if so, experiences?) What if I'm a little squeamish around blood (only partially serious question)?

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I can only speak from an Australian point of view, since that's where I live and work (currently I'm a male RN in a large inner city ED).

Transient behaviour on a resume isn't really cared about for the most part. I suppose if you've gone to a bunch of similiar departments in the same city in a short period of time it might be noticed but for the most part it's expected that you'll want to move around a lot and experience different things so it's not an issue. I've worked in 3 different areas in the last 3 years and that's fairly normal.

Plus, you can earn extra money by not being a regular (like, 25 percent more at a minimum) so a lot of people do that.

You can get jobs overseas fairly easily -- there's a fair amount of bullshit paperwork involved but skills translate fairly well. Where I work there's a lot of overseas-trained nurses, including one American (who says the biggest difference is we do a LOT less paperwork here since the lawsuits are far less common).

Having said that, when I tried to get registration in Canada last year it all came to a screaming halt when I found out I'd need maternity experience. Apparantly in North America you guys get a little in your training but it's completely optional here so I skipped it as I've got no interest in it. It is fairly irritating since I'd be doing the same work there as I'd be doing here which involves no maternity but what would life be without bullshit red tape, hey!

And if you're squeamish around blood, you're screwed! But you build up a tolerance really fast. These days, especially after working in a colorectal ward, it takes a LOT to get to me, but my mum likes to tease me cause I used to be the one who could never clean up dog crap without gagging.

45 Degrees
Mar 3, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that switched from EE. I find nursing much more active and social and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the engineering. I had a less than desirable GPA so I retook a couple courses I did poor in and took some prereqs to boost my GPA before applying.

b0nes posted:

I'm wrapping up my schooling and am looking to graduate in May which also means I need to start looking for somewhere to work. I'm living in the midwest right now in a smaller town but I'd like to experience a larger city for awhile before I get too tied down.

What are some good hospitals to look at in the California area. The University of California San Francisco Medical Center ranked 7th in the US News top 100 hospitals so I would think it'd be a good place to look. I've heard San Francisco and Santa Cruz are good cities to live in but any suggestions would be appreciated since I'm unfamiliar with the area.

I also have family in Pittsburgh and Florida if anyone has suggestions for either place or anywhere else in the US that stands out.

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004
Up, Right, Left, Down, Chu, Chu, Chu

Juventud posted:

I want to go to California as a new grad and think that I can land a job.

In San Francisco, it is quite literally, __impossible__, to get a job as a new grad. I am not exaggerating whatsoever. There is the deadly combination of having many nearby nursing schools (San Francisco State University, Cal State University: East Bay (Concord and Hayward campuses), City College of San Francisco, University of San Francisco, UCSF, Mills college, I could go on....) and many people wanting to come to San Francisco for the high wages. Thus, any dreams of getting a job as a new grad should be quickly dashed once I tell you that hospitals get 600+ applicants for 40 spots twice a year in and around San Francisco.

I personally know a newgrad who can not find work in San Francisco for the past 15 months, have spoken to a nurse practitioner friend working at San Francisco General, and have read horror stories on allnurses (a really good place for info once you get over all of the DH crap) -- just so you know that I'm not talking out of my rear end.

Because of the difficulty getting jobs as a new grad in San Francisco, I assume that this impacts new grad programs in the surrounding Bay Area. I do not have first hand evidence, however.

That said, once you have at least two years experience, especially in med-surg, it should not take more than a couple of months to land a job.

I'm currently getting my BSN from Cal State University: Long Beach. They have this neat thing where if you sign up to work for a nearby private hospital for two years after graduation, they'll give you a $2200 (after taxes) stipend each semester. Recently, there has been talk that the hospital may actually break their side of the contract and simply let us take their money and run because of the economy. So, while I'm not completely discouraging you from looking for a job in California as a newgrad, make drat sure you do your research. Again, allnurses.com is a wonderful resource.

If anyone has any questions regarding prereqs and applying to any of the Cal State Universities or community colleges up and down California, shoot away, I have quite a bit of experience.

freshmex fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 24, 2009

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004
Up, Right, Left, Down, Chu, Chu, Chu

Christoff posted:

I know LPN can be a dead end. But how practical is it to become an LPN, work, and while working do a program into an RN?

I know this is an old question but I just wanted to chime in as well.

For most LVN to RN bridge programs the LVNs are learning right beside the newbie undergrad nursing students. The LVNs in my class have been LVNs for five years, which has allowed them to completely breeze through this BSN program so far.

For most BSN programs, the clinic hours focus on recognizing how co-morbidities and current diagnoses interact, the rationale behind meds, and basic physical assessment. From the LVNs experiences just working with patients, this is a complete breeze for them.

In lecture, almost all of the tests will be presented like NCLEX questions, which means that they are all situational/what would you do? type questions. Learning facts really does absolutely nothing for you in nursing school. Thus, because LVNs have been in these situations many times before, they breeze through that too.

In conclusion, if an LVN is willing to put up with the hours to go through the BSN program, which for them will essentially consist of writing papers on things they are already well versed in, it is quite a breeze. Both LVNs that I am friends with still work 2 12-hour shifts a week.

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn
This may be slightly off topic, but if anybody has any interest in military medicine, I'm a hospital corpsman (enlisted medical personnel) in the Navy, and any questions I can't answer about nursing in regards to Naval medicine I could hand off to Nurses who work in the hospital I work at (large Naval hospital, overseas). For reference, I work in the ICU, usually doing about the same level of work that LPNs do, since to be a nurse in the Navy you must be an officer, and therefore you must have a degree - in this case a BSN or graduate nursing degree (CRNA, MSN, etc). The pracitical result of this is that we have very few LPNs or CNAs (only a small handful of civilian employees). The scopes of practice in the military are very different in many cases than in the civilian sector. Additionally, as an officer, there's military and command-structure related things to do that most civilian nurses probably never have to even think about. If this is of interest to anybody I'd be glad to contribute, if not, that's cool too. :)

Wobegon fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 24, 2009

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
If any students have any questions about L&D, I'm here. Not sure if we have any other L&D nursegoons?

I work with a low-income, high-risk population and in only the last year have seen, well, most major obstetric emergencies. It's an insanely exciting, adrenaline fueled area, with far less death and tragedy than most critical care units.

And for anyone stressing about the NCLEX, don't. That poo poo is easy if you're reasonably competent and can think critically. Most people fail due to nerves and over analyzing the material. 75 questions in less than 30 minutes, BAM BOOM I'm a nurse.

Pixi fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 24, 2009

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005
Little thread resurrection here. I'm graduating with my BSN in like a month but now I am insanely worried. When I was 19 I got charged with a DWI with like a .03 BAC because I got pulled over with a burnt out headlight, and being the retard that I am got an underage about a year later. I'm 23 now, completed ARD for the first offense, haven't had any troubles with anything since then, live in PA. Did I waste 4 years of my life doing this or will I still be able to be licensed?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Mr Tweeze posted:

Little thread resurrection here. I'm graduating with my BSN in like a month but now I am insanely worried. When I was 19 I got charged with a DWI with like a .03 BAC because I got pulled over with a burnt out headlight, and being the retard that I am got an underage about a year later. I'm 23 now, completed ARD for the first offense, haven't had any troubles with anything since then, live in PA. Did I waste 4 years of my life doing this or will I still be able to be licensed?

You should have petitioned your state's BON the moment this happened, to find out if you can still sit for the NCLEX.

However, stuff like this isn't terribly uncommon, so you'll probably be ok if you make a decent case in front of the BON. Don't hide it from them though, they'll find out.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr Tweeze posted:

Yeah you'll be fine but you really should of submitted some form of declaratory order before hand. You may get your letter of permission to take the NCLEX and work as a Graduate Nurse delayed. So basically in Texas you really should of cleared this with them ahead of time. They went over this our first week of orientation to school. You could end up having to wait a month or two after you graduate to start working or take the NCLEX.

I got a DWI when I was 17 after flipping my SUV. I knew it wouldn't be a problem but I made sure about 7 months before graduation to fill out the board of nursing declaratory order paper work and send them court paperwork and whatnot so when the time came for them to get my notice of graduation there wouldn't be a delay in them issuing me the NCLEX permission.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Wobegon posted:

This may be slightly off topic, but if anybody has any interest in military medicine, I'm a hospital corpsman (enlisted medical personnel) in the Navy, and any questions I can't answer about nursing in regards to Naval medicine I could hand off to Nurses who work in the hospital I work at (large Naval hospital, overseas).

I'm actually looking into military nursing after graduating, so I have a few questions.
1. Why did you choose Navy over other branhes?
2. How much time between applying, training, getting told to go somewhere, etc? Basically, what's the timeline look like?
3. What sort of stuff do you find yourself doing? What's a basic day like for you/a nurse?

I'll try and think of more!

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
-

mannerup fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 15, 2016

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

DigitalJesus posted:

I have a few questions I would like to go ahead throw out there.

1) If I wanted to work in Drug/Alcohol rehabilitation as a nurse, how good are the odds I can get a position in that specialty.
2) Lets say I wanted to travel overseas to another country, how hard is it to trasnfer a nursing position/credentials from one country to another, if it is even possible.
3) Does getting a MSN over a BSN make a significant difference in terms of jobs available in the nursing field?

1) To the best of my knowledge, pretty good. But be warned that there's a reason for that. Drug/Alcohol rehab is incredibly frustrating to deal with and medically very uninteresting. Decide if you really want to work on the nursing angle or if you'd rather be in a counselor position. Regardless, if you have any illusions whatsoever about convincing folks to give up their destructive ways, bail out now. Much of what we do with drug addiction is simply soften the impact when they finally crash and burn.

Then again with the current economy, all bets are off. I only barely slipped into my preferred specialty before most institutions laid down hiring freezes. Nurses are the last group in my hospital to get laid off but the axe is coming down in a week or two. Expect a lot of job competition over the next year or so.

2) I can't answer from experience, but I can pass on what I've heard: Tricky, possible and usually not worth it. Nurses in America have a sweet gig. Other countries are often behind the times in pay scales and work environments. Nurses here are professionals and are usually treated as such. Not so much elsewhere.

3) What kind of MSN? There are really two categories. One type makes you an "officially" specialized nurse. These are MSN programs that focus in areas like critical care, cardiology, pediatrics... They all offer minor increases in independent authority. As an example, a psych MSN I knew in Georgia could place 72 hour holds on people in the same way an MD could. In general though, I think most of these degrees are kind of pointless. You learn as much or more by just working in your specialty and the authority you're granted is usually just to do the things an MD would happily ok you to do anyway. All the degrees really allow you to do is teach and I think we've covered in this thread why that's not really as cool as it sounds. You may also get a slight raise from your employer but it's rarely anything major.

I'd love to be corrected if someone has one of these degrees and found a meaningful use for it.

The other type of MSN degrees radically change what you do. We're talking Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Anesthetist programs. Nurse educators also probably fall into this realm, as they take on more of a research/protocol focus and have next to zero patient care. These degrees have "nurse" in the title but have essentially jack to do with nursing. NPs function as physicians with restrictions that vary state to state. Nurse Anesthetists work with surgeons and also respond in hospital when people crash. Their job is simultaneously awesome and incredibly repetitive. These are jobs where your degree really matters.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
In regards to going overseas with nursing ohthehugemanatee is wrong. It's a pain in the rear end, sure, but the hardest transference is from anywhere else to America, mostly due to your maternity requirements. Canada, too actually. I have to go work 3 months of full time maternity if I want to work in North America, which is why I haven't tried. But other than that, passing an exam is usually the biggest headache.

The skills are pretty much the same the world over. I work with an American Nurse who says the only real difference is there's a LOT less time spent on paperwork here due to far less lawsuits. And British nurses pretty much say the same thing (although they're more overworked). Money's not as good, though.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

In regards to going overseas with nursing ohthehugemanatee is wrong. It's a pain in the rear end, sure, but the hardest transference is from anywhere else to America, mostly due to your maternity requirements. Canada, too actually. I have to go work 3 months of full time maternity if I want to work in North America, which is why I haven't tried. But other than that, passing an exam is usually the biggest headache.

The skills are pretty much the same the world over. I work with an American Nurse who says the only real difference is there's a LOT less time spent on paperwork here due to far less lawsuits. And British nurses pretty much say the same thing (although they're more overworked). Money's not as good, though.

That's really good to hear, actually. I've heard a lot of people complaining about incredibly paternal physicians and a real lack of respect for nurses in other cultures. I've heard awful things about Britain in particular and it's nice to know it isn't that bad.

C.J. Scalia
Sep 7, 2008

omniscient
Just for the hell of it, I looked up nurses salary info in my zip code, and a Certified Nurse Anesthetist's median salary is $175k ? WTF?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

C.J. Scalia posted:

Just for the hell of it, I looked up nurses salary info in my zip code, and a Certified Nurse Anesthetist's median salary is $175k ? WTF?

Higher or lower than you expected?

A CRNA is basically the highest you can go as a nurse. The programs are extremely hard to get into, and only take a few people per term. It's definitely worth looking into, but understand competition is high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.J. Scalia
Sep 7, 2008

omniscient
Well, higher, but yeah I understand it's sort of the end of the road career wise, so it's understandable that it pays well. Still. That's lawyer money. Without the lovely life.