Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Labor and Delivery. Not much GYN experience (other than traipsing down to the ER with the on call OB residents for consults). What area are you specifically interested in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Bunway Airlines posted:

Sounds about right, thanks for the help. Does anyone have specific experience working in women's health/reproductive health areas?

I had to resist the temptation to talk about my in-depth experience working with women's reproductive areas... :smug:

Honestly, I was very impressed with the Labor and Delivery nurses when my wife gave birth to our son. If it wasn't amazingly awkward for a guy to be in that department, I would absolutely love it (note: I say this with absolutely no OTJ experience with this).

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
Quote is not edit. UGH.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Pixi posted:

Labor and Delivery. Not much GYN experience (other than traipsing down to the ER with the on call OB residents for consults). What area are you specifically interested in?

More of the clinical angle, perhaps family planning counseling sort of topics?

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Are there any thoughts out there as to what may or may not happen with the health care proposal? How would that affect nursing jobs (availability, pay, demand, etc)?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Reading back through the last couple of pages I noticed some people asking if it's possible to get jobs in certain departments...of course it's possible! Maybe not when you're fresh out of school and it may take a few years and a bit of hard work but go where your heart takes you. There is nothing worse than a nurse working in an area he/she hates.

I had a friend growing up whose mom was a nurse. She said it was the worst job ever and told her daughter to never go that route. Well, she would say that as she worked the night shift at an incredibly depressing nursing home and hated her job with a passion. Go where you want to go, work where you want to work. Don't settle or else you risk burnout which is not only harmful to the nurse but is potentially very harmful to the patients. I believe if you work in an area you love, all the depressing/gross/weird poo poo you will inevitably see will be much easier to deal with.

I'm only a junior in nursing school at the moment (starting med/surg here in a week...God help me!) so I'm not entirely sure what it is I want to do after I graduate. But if there is one thing I do know already is that there are literally hundreds of options for nurses. Don't settle for whatever!

Pinkmetallic
Jul 1, 2005
Question for anyone who has taken (and passed) the NCLEX-RN:
What is the best review book for the NCLEX-RN to use - specifically throughout nursing school (not just the months leading up to the test)? I have heard Kaplan and Saunders...but I really don't have any idea.

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?
My Kaplan book was very good. It gave some really good strategies for how to look at/think about different kinds of questions, which helped me a lot. It also had practice questions (I'm sure all the similar books do), which are very important.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Vague question, ahoy! How worried should I be about the NLN I have to take in October? I have an extremely solid math background and decent verbal skills.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Geez, I just had my first pre-req class for the nursing program. I'm going to a community college because I just want an RN, and at least 15 people there are going for pre-nursing. I have a good GPA from my bachelor's, but I'm nervous about getting into the program again. They accept 50 every semester. I guess I'll just have to make sure I bust my rear end like I'm planning on doing.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nursing seems really interesting to me

I have a BA in history and have mostly worked a bunch of unfulfilling jobs since graduation. Nursing seems interesting, and I'm in the process of applying to several local schools. Pre-reqs aren't too bad for someone who already has a bachelors; I've just got to knock out 2 semesters of A&P and microbio and I'm good to go.

I'm curious what the work environment's like for guys, mainly. Especially more ah...traditionally male guys. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and I have a shaved head and a bunch of tattoos , am I going to be judged negatively for this in interviews or have trouble fitting into a female dominated workplace?

I'm also interested in Neonatal nursing as a career goal, is this an uncommon specialty for men?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
Today was my first day of RN school at my community college. I learned how to do a bed bath. :woop:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

a handful of dust posted:

I'm curious what the work environment's like for guys, mainly. Especially more ah...traditionally male guys. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and I have a shaved head and a bunch of tattoos , am I going to be judged negatively for this in interviews or have trouble fitting into a female dominated workplace?
Not at all. Especially in the ICU. Employers like male nurses. They can actually lift poo poo.

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005

I have a BA in history and have mostly worked a bunch of unfulfilling jobs since graduation. Nursing seems interesting, and I'm in the process of applying to several local schools. Pre-reqs aren't too bad for someone who already has a bachelors; I've just got to knock out 2 semesters of A&P and microbio and I'm good to go.

I'm also interested in Neonatal nursing as a career goal, is this an uncommon specialty for men?

There are a few guys that work in neonatal nursing, my OB teacher was the only male nursing teacher I had actually so I don't think its uncommon, he worked in the NICU at one of the area hospitals. I don't think having tattoos or a shaved head is really a big deal its a profession that has a ton of jobs so if you are competent that's really all that matters.

Bum the Sad posted:

Not at all. Especially in the ICU. Employers like male nurses. They can actually lift poo poo.

Also this, I work on a med-surg floor and whenever a heavier patient needs to get out of bed or transferred I'll get called to come in and help.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Tweeze posted:

There are a few guys that work in neonatal nursing, my OB teacher was the only male nursing teacher I had actually so I don't think its uncommon, he worked in the NICU at one of the area hospitals. I don't think having tattoos or a shaved head is really a big deal its a profession that has a ton of jobs so if you are competent that's really all that matters.

Cool. I've gotten poo poo for it in a few office job interviews; I was hoping nursing wasn't the same way.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cool. I've gotten poo poo for it in a few office job interviews; I was hoping nursing wasn't the same way.
You know I've noticed this. For some reason even though this is a professional field with strict licensure requirements. No one seems to really give a poo poo about tattoos. I think once you have gone through nursing school, passed your boards, and passed your background checks for your license it's kind of assumed you aren't a sleazebag. Plus nurses can be pretty oddball anyway, the thirteen hour shifts and constant death can do that. I'm pretty new and I walked into a room a few doors down that I had to ignore because I was admitting at the time and the room was just covered in blood and vomit(patient had aspirated after some kind of throat surgery and was impossible to intubated. I said I was sad busy because I was busy and it looked like fun. The response was "It' a lot of fun unless it's your patient and you have to chart it all afterwards."

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
Currently I'm working full time and working on prereqs at my local community college. I have a B.A. in Philosophy from UCSC, but decided law school wasn't for me, so I'm trying to work my way through nursing school.

My question to you all is how feasible is it to work while in nursing school?

If so, how many hours a week could I dedicate to working? I'm a fast learner, but I don't want to discount the masses of memorization, etc.

If it's not, should I take a couple years after my prereqs in order to save up some money? Would it be a bad idea to have time between my basic classes and my nursing classes?

Thanks a lot guys. This thread has been really valuable!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

soap. posted:

Currently I'm working full time and working on prereqs at my local community college. I have a B.A. in Philosophy from UCSC, but decided law school wasn't for me, so I'm trying to work my way through nursing school.

My question to you all is how feasible is it to work while in nursing school?

If so, how many hours a week could I dedicate to working? I'm a fast learner, but I don't want to discount the masses of memorization, etc.

If it's not, should I take a couple years after my prereqs in order to save up some money? Would it be a bad idea to have time between my basic classes and my nursing classes?

Thanks a lot guys. This thread has been really valuable!

Disclaimer: I'm not in nursing school and I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :hf: fellow UCSC grad :)

If you already have a BA, it seems to me that you're better off going into an entry level MA program. You'll make more, be more competitive and be able to do all the same things as an RN (you take the test along the way).

Here's some programs in the bay area I'm looking at: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/elms_nursing
http://nurseweb.ucsf.edu/www/ps-em.htm
http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/current/programs/nursing.htm#342305

I know that for UCSF's program, the first year is very intense and they basically will not let you work. Unless you're able to get a poo poo ton of money stored away, you're probably going to have to take loans to pay tuition.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Bunway Airlines posted:

If you already have a BA, it seems to me that you're better off going into an entry level MA program. You'll make more, be more competitive and be able to do all the same things as an RN (you take the test along the way).

:what:

MA's do nothing on the same level of nurses, don't make remotely the same amount of money, and is basically one of the worst jobs in the health care profession. Did you mean something else?

miso
Nov 21, 2005

Why Frog, why?

AquaVita posted:

:what:

MA's do nothing on the same level of nurses, don't make remotely the same amount of money, and is basically one of the worst jobs in the health care profession. Did you mean something else?

I think they just meant a master's program in nursing. You wouldn't actually get an MA in nursing (that I know of), it would be an MSN most likely, but from the context that sounds like what Bunway Airlines meant.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Bunway Airlines posted:

Disclaimer: I'm not in nursing school and I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :hf: fellow UCSC grad :)

Here's some programs in the bay area I'm looking at: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/elms_nursing
http://nurseweb.ucsf.edu/www/ps-em.htm
http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/current/programs/nursing.htm#342305

I know that for UCSF's program, the first year is very intense and they basically will not let you work. Unless you're able to get a poo poo ton of money stored away, you're probably going to have to take loans to pay tuition.

I was looking into that, but I really slacked off my last couple years of college and my GPA is like 2.8 or something--lower than the 3.0 required for these. I'm really kicking myself, but at that point I knew I didn't want to go to law school and I felt my degree was a waste, so I put in no effort...ugh, so dumb in retrospect.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

miso posted:

I think they just meant a master's program in nursing. You wouldn't actually get an MA in nursing (that I know of), it would be an MSN most likely, but from the context that sounds like what Bunway Airlines meant.

Yes sorry - my error. I meant a MSN. I'm used to just calling everything a MA.

soap - Some schools let you in with lower grades if you talk to them about it. I believe UCSF talks about it on their website. Worth a shot maybe?

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Bunway Airlines posted:

Yes sorry - my error. I meant a MSN. I'm used to just calling everything a MA.

soap - Some schools let you in with lower grades if you talk to them about it. I believe UCSF talks about it on their website. Worth a shot maybe?

Yeah I'll check it out. Thanks!

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
I'm starting a 1 year accelerated RN program in September to get a BSN/MSN after I had no luck at all finding a job with a MS in Healthcare Management. Most people I talk to say I will end up doing nursing administration in a few years, considering my previous degree and experience. Will that end up helping me find a job right out of school?

I would also like to try working in the ED instead of the floors (I'm a man), but I was told that I should work at least a year before transferring. I've also been working in a hospital for the past 9 years in Environmental Services (working through undergrad/grad school) and might be a NA in January, even if I would end up taking a decent pay cut.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Snord posted:

I'm starting a 1 year accelerated RN program in September to get a BSN/MSN after I had no luck at all finding a job with a MS in Healthcare Management. Most people I talk to say I will end up doing nursing administration in a few years, considering my previous degree and experience. Will that end up helping me find a job right out of school?

I would also like to try working in the ED instead of the floors (I'm a man), but I was told that I should work at least a year before transferring.
Don't listen, find a preceptor/internship.

Mr Tweeze
Jun 17, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Don't listen, find a preceptor/internship.

Agreed, if you truly want to work in any specialty floor (ICU's, OR, L&D, ED) starting on a med-surg floor really won't help you as much as getting into the area your interested in.

Passed my NCLEX Friday by the way :toot:

Swine Flu
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
How do you guys feel about a nursing only school?

http://www.galencollege.edu/sanantonio/about_galen/accreditation.php School in question.

See, my brother just got out of a uni with his bachelors in nursing, and it took him almost 4 years. He really seems against me going to a nursing only school. He calls it a "diploma nurse." But from a couple of people im talking to, a diploma nurse it not so bad. Now I understand if I want to get my BSN I will have to go to a uni for 2+ years. But will I really regret going to a school like the above?

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I'm a shaven headed white english working class male who aint much shorter than you. I have no tattoos. I work in theatres ( OR ) and enjoy working with neonates. As long as you care about your job, are willing to listen and learn- you will be golden.

Its not a bad job and as long as you are good at it, nobody gives a flying gently caress what sex you are.

asbo subject fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 28, 2009

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

asbo subject posted:

nobody gives a flying gently caress what sex you are.
Except for other male nurses. loving human being rear end murses.

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bum the Sad posted:

Except for other male nurses. loving human being rear end murses.

I hate those sorta murses too.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009

Pinkmetallic posted:

Question for anyone who has taken (and passed) the NCLEX-RN:
What is the best review book for the NCLEX-RN to use - specifically throughout nursing school (not just the months leading up to the test)? I have heard Kaplan and Saunders...but I really don't have any idea.

I highly recommend kaplan, and take their NCLEX class if you can

They give you a different book that isn't available in stores (I have both) and it was worth the month

It is a bit pricey, 500 USD.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
So do any of you have ER/Trauma experience? I'm thinking about doing this instead of women's health. Pros/Cons?

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Emergency is my forte -- just finished a week of nights in the ER.
Pros:
- I haven't showered a patient since I started doing emergency
- (almost) never see the same patient with the same problem twice in a row (that said, there's a lot of frequent attenders)
- you get to see the coolest/funniest shite around (stake through the foot, finger's off, carrot up the rear end [not all on the same guy!])
- you're the frontline behind paramedics to saving lives, and it happens a lot (dramatic, but true)
- emergency docs are usually the most laid back so I personally have a much better relationship with the docs I work with now than I did in med/surg

Cons:
- lots of psych patients having acute episodes or trying to kill themselves, and I personally don't like dealing with psych (though I still do)
- drunks, drunks, and more drunks
- really annoying patient families (I've had someone want to report me to the news because their mother was stuck in emergency waiting for a bed upstairs - if the hospital's full, the hospital's full!)
- dealing with the kinds of idiots who think that an itchy rear end in a top hat is a good reason to come to an emergency department (a real presentation from last night)
- if you like building up long term bonds with patients that doesn't really happen in emergency

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Silentgoldfish posted:

Emergency is my forte -- just finished a week of nights in the ER.
Pros:
- I haven't showered a patient since I started doing emergency
- (almost) never see the same patient with the same problem twice in a row (that said, there's a lot of frequent attenders)
- you get to see the coolest/funniest shite around (stake through the foot, finger's off, carrot up the rear end [not all on the same guy!])
- you're the frontline behind paramedics to saving lives, and it happens a lot (dramatic, but true)
- emergency docs are usually the most laid back so I personally have a much better relationship with the docs I work with now than I did in med/surg

Cons:
- lots of psych patients having acute episodes or trying to kill themselves, and I personally don't like dealing with psych (though I still do)
- drunks, drunks, and more drunks
- really annoying patient families (I've had someone want to report me to the news because their mother was stuck in emergency waiting for a bed upstairs - if the hospital's full, the hospital's full!)
- dealing with the kinds of idiots who think that an itchy rear end in a top hat is a good reason to come to an emergency department (a real presentation from last night)
- if you like building up long term bonds with patients that doesn't really happen in emergency

Thanks this is great. In my current program (developmental psych) I deal with women's health and sexuality issues but I'm really starting to learn towards ER/Trauma. I have the perception that ER is the most fast paced environment and I like that. Also, I'm a motorcyclist so for some reason I have the strange desire to help other motorcyclists when they come in smushed.

I know this has been addressed somewhat but is anyone else willing to offer their perspective on being a bachelor's level nurse vs. a master's level nurse? I know that the grad degree allows you to do more management stuff, but can you also do management when you have enough work experience? I'm still trying to figure out if an excellerated BSN program is better for me or if a MSN is (I'm already goign to have a MA in something else by the time I do nursing school.) At the end of the day what is really the difference?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

English male nursing student reporting in, I'm getting pretty confused at all the acronyms you're using; they're all different here.

I'm still in the common foundation year and I'm not totally sure what I want to be doing by the end. I really enjoy working with children so I'm thinking of going for paediatric nursing, does that screw me over in terms of career paths? And how difficult is it to become a nurse practitioner? I understand it might be very different over here but any input would be appreciated.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'm not positive if this is the best place to turn to ask, but I hoped this would be a good place to turn. :)

From what my family members have implicated (and this thread's title), nursing and nurse-related fields are promising in regards to both career opportunity and what one makes. My aunt is a phlebotomist, my cousin is an x-ray technician, my fiancee is going for x-ray technician, so on and so forth.

So what my question is, is I really don't know where precisely to look for schools in my area of the state (western new york) or specialties to look at to see if they are something I would really be interested in.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Yestermoment posted:

I'm not positive if this is the best place to turn to ask, but I hoped this would be a good place to turn. :)

From what my family members have implicated (and this thread's title), nursing and nurse-related fields are promising in regards to both career opportunity and what one makes. My aunt is a phlebotomist, my cousin is an x-ray technician, my fiancee is going for x-ray technician, so on and so forth.

So what my question is, is I really don't know where precisely to look for schools in my area of the state (western new york) or specialties to look at to see if they are something I would really be interested in.

There's no "specialties" in nursing school. Check the websites for local colleges and universities to see if they have programs, pick out some you like, then find out what their first-time pass percentage for the NCLEX. Other than some basic skills and fundamentals, that's pretty much all nursing school is for.

edit: you want 98% or better. That suggests they're definitely getting the job done.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Woah, my local CC has a 96.8% pass rate in 07, and 98% in 08. I thought this school was a shithole.

Maybe i just might go back to school and get an ADN afterall. My BA from UCLA is loving useless. :D

Soooo tempting...

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
Had my first day of clinical today. Longest goddamn day ever! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
edit: This probably wasn't the best idea to post this.