Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Avalanche posted:

Woah, my local CC has a 96.8% pass rate in 07, and 98% in 08. I thought this school was a shithole.

Maybe i just might go back to school and get an ADN afterall. My BA from UCLA is loving useless. :D

Soooo tempting...

The CC that I'm attending has a passing rate of 68% I think. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Yestermoment posted:

I'm not positive if this is the best place to turn to ask, but I hoped this would be a good place to turn. :)

From what my family members have implicated (and this thread's title), nursing and nurse-related fields are promising in regards to both career opportunity and what one makes. My aunt is a phlebotomist, my cousin is an x-ray technician, my fiancee is going for x-ray technician, so on and so forth.

So what my question is, is I really don't know where precisely to look for schools in my area of the state (western new york) or specialties to look at to see if they are something I would really be interested in.

Hi, I'm in WNY and unfortunately this is a pretty bad area as far as nursing schools supply/demand. The community college path here is notoriously difficult and I have several friends who have been wait lists for 3 or 4 years before getting into the program. You may have better luck at small, private colleges like Niagara University, D'Youville, Daemon, U of Rochester, but you'll pay like 2 to 4 times as much as the public school route. I don't know anyone who has gone the private route, however.

This site has a pretty good outline of accredited nursing programs, the size of the school, application reqs etc to start your research, just skip past all of the junk "featured" schools:

http://www.edref.com/college-degrees/health-care/nursing/new-york

I'm a transfer student at University at Buffalo applying next semester to finish my two years in-program work to get my BSN. My advisor tells me that only something like 15-20% of applicants can get in each year, so all I can do is keep up my 4.0 gpa and cross my fingers! I'll be getting a bachelor's next fall regardless so if I can't get in I'll just apply to all of the other accelerated/second degree BSN programs out there.

Good luck :)

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Well, getting into week 4 of my first semester of nursing school.

I thought that all the material and studying would be a huge hurdle for me since I procrastinate a lot -- but I've really been surprised with myself at how naturally it's been coming to just sit down and study for hours and be able to answer NCLEX style review questions after the chapters.

I've always had to force myself to do this poo poo in the past, but now I seem to really /want/ to. I think it's that I'm doing it for my future career, not just some random grade.

And on top of that, soooo far.. I've been able to balance my time enough to still be able to loaf around now and then.

I've had my first skill checkoff for vital sign takin's, passed on first attempt (not everyone in the class did.)

First written exam is this coming monday, which I'm currently taking a break studying for.
First day at clinicals is this coming wednesday -- I'll be going to a long-term care facility to choose an old person to take care of for the sem.

Another thing I thought I'd mention -- I forgot the URL, but someone showed me a website that was dedicated to burnt out/pissed off nurses ranting on about how being a nurse is terrible and that they recommend no one does it, ever. it wasn't just venting, they were trying to lay out the idea that the field is, in general, a poor career choice.

What I found strange was that a lot of the bitching was centered on being overworked -- yet these people struck me as the sort that would be very discouraging to listen to or follow with during a clinical. Point being they'd adversely affect something that'd solve that problem.

The rest of it was mostly about co-worker or administrative/management drama. I don't know about these people who were complaining, but I've worked a ton of different jobs in different fields, and I don't think I've ever had one that was absent of incompetence, inefficiency, and drama.

I'm hoping that people with these sorts of attitudes are the minority in the field, I've not had enough exposure to it yet to judge so.

Datsun Honeybee fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 11, 2009

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

soap. posted:

Currently I'm working full time and working on prereqs at my local community college. I have a B.A. in Philosophy from UCSC, but decided law school wasn't for me, so I'm trying to work my way through nursing school.

My question to you all is how feasible is it to work while in nursing school?

If so, how many hours a week could I dedicate to working? I'm a fast learner, but I don't want to discount the masses of memorization, etc.

If it's not, should I take a couple years after my prereqs in order to save up some money? Would it be a bad idea to have time between my basic classes and my nursing classes?

Thanks a lot guys. This thread has been really valuable!
Right now I am working about 20-22 even though I am not actually *in* a nursing program but I hear depending on the school you don't have to take the classes on their schedule. I plan to take at the most 2 classes at a time and continue to work. it will take me longer but I will graduate and not owe anything.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I'm looking for a bit of advice.

A friend of mine was recently "discharged" from her work due to it being a fairly lovely place to work. In your reply please take the story as is, and don't volunteer up alternate versions of what happens.
She was frustrated with a patient who was refusing to take medication and while she was speaking to him, in a direct, deep, loud manner someone passed by and thought she was verbally abusing the patient. However, this patient is deaf, and by request of the family does not use his hearing aids. (He takes them out and throws them or breaks them.) His ability to hear is why my friend was speaking loudly.

The company she worked for fired her for poor work preformance 2 days later. She's been an R.N for 13 months, and is mentally broken. She's never recieved a single write up, or negative comment on any review as an R.N or her four years as a Nurse Aide. She feels that her career is ruined as she'll never be able to get a job, and she has no idea how to answer questions on applications on why she left her previous job. She's basically been crying in bed for the last three days.

I feel awful for her, knowing that she really cares about her patients. If anyone has any words of advice or anything experiences I can relate to her, that would be great.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

A friend of mine was recently "discharged" from her work due to it being a fairly lovely place to work. In your reply please take the story as is, and don't volunteer up alternate versions of what happens.
She was frustrated with a patient who was refusing to take medication and while she was speaking to him, in a direct, deep, loud manner someone passed by and thought she was verbally abusing the patient. However, this patient is deaf, and by request of the family does not use his hearing aids. (He takes them out and throws them or breaks them.) His ability to hear is why my friend was speaking loudly.

The company she worked for fired her for poor work preformance 2 days later. She's been an R.N for 13 months, and is mentally broken. She's never recieved a single write up, or negative comment on any review as an R.N or her four years as a Nurse Aide. She feels that her career is ruined as she'll never be able to get a job, and she has no idea how to answer questions on applications on why she left her previous job. She's basically been crying in bed for the last three days.

I feel awful for her, knowing that she really cares about her patients. If anyone has any words of advice or anything experiences I can relate to her, that would be great.

It sounds like she just got really unlucky with her timing or, more likely, she'd pissed someone off without knowing it and this was an excuse.

But it happens. It happens in all fields and no one's career is ever ruined by it. Tons of new nurses start out on crappy floors and quit before they make it to even six months. They go on to have fine careers and it's generally expected that people will have trouble when they first enter the field and may well bounce from job to job for a bit. All she needs to do is to roughly outline what happened and say what she learned from it.

Datsun Honeybee posted:

Another thing I thought I'd mention -- I forgot the URL, but someone showed me a website that was dedicated to burnt out/pissed off nurses ranting on about how being a nurse is terrible and that they recommend no one does it, ever. it wasn't just venting, they were trying to lay out the idea that the field is, in general, a poor career choice.

What I found strange was that a lot of the bitching was centered on being overworked -- yet these people struck me as the sort that would be very discouraging to listen to or follow with during a clinical. Point being they'd adversely affect something that'd solve that problem.

The rest of it was mostly about co-worker or administrative/management drama. I don't know about these people who were complaining, but I've worked a ton of different jobs in different fields, and I don't think I've ever had one that was absent of incompetence, inefficiency, and drama.

I'm hoping that people with these sorts of attitudes are the minority in the field, I've not had enough exposure to it yet to judge so.

It varies a lot from unit to unit. Some places fuel those attitudes because their nurses are heinously overworked. I work in ICU and I get two patients. In the last year I saw someone asked to take three patients once. And I mean asked - it was both corporately and personally understood that saying no was completely acceptable. We will move heaven and earth to keep our 1:1 or 1:2 ratios. Contrast that with my girlfriend who works Med/Surg nursing. She usually has five semi-mobile patients, and while mine are sicker, hers are infinitely more demanding. She basically zips around all day putting out fires. When her unit was understaffed she was simply given eight patients with no say in the matter.

Where I work we've got an elite thing going and the culture is focused on safety and job satisfaction. It's wonderful and we have very few burnouts. Where she works the nurses are considered to be workhorses and it's almost an assembly line for sick people. Places like that produce the sort of bitter, pissed off nurses that lurk on internet forums. The mistake those nurses make is trying to scare people away from the field when it's really just a tiny portion of the field that's hell on earth.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I want to chime in quickly on the whole mean/angry nurse and burn out thing. I work on a med/surg and usually feel overworked. I still like my job and recommend nursing to people but I completely understand when someone feels otherwise. Med/surg floors are a different beast than other nursing units and the biggest problem is that there are so many of them and so many different types that your experience will invariably be worlds apart from someone even in your same hospital who works on a different med/surg floor.

Med/surg floors are not fun. I have been a nurse for under 2 years now and I already charge on weekend shifts because no other charge nurses will work weekends and no one else will charge because it is too much work and they don't want the responsibility. It is hard, demanding work but I do it for the experience and to increase my clinical skills. The nurses we have are staffed 5-6 clients each. Most are somewhat mobile but they need assistance. There are usually only 1-2 physical therapists on a floor at a time and they often work together because people are fat. I bring this up because...

If one person wants to get up and no one else can help you, you have to spend 10-20 minutes slowly moving and helping that person get up. In the mean time your 5 other patients are all getting angrier and crazier because they haven't seen another human face in more than 30 minutes. The guy is halfway out of the bed with you supporting his 100 pound leg with your arms and your phone rings. And rings. And rings. When it stops you are overhead paged to the nurses station probably because a doctor or transporter or lab tech was unable or unwilling to find another client's chart, and so the unit clerk has called you twice because they can't be bothered to get it either. After you get the guy back to bed he asks for some pain medicine. When you go to get it you are interrupted 4 times by other people who don't care that you are trying to give medication and will demand that you drop what you are doing that moment even though doing so is both dangerous to the client and your career. Finally you give it and the guy is happy but now you realize you have to do it all over again for 5 other people, then probably again for this guy when your done with them because now it's his turn again. Then you have to go chart in a computer what you did for every person.

The biggest complaint I have about my job is the constant interruption. No one else around you has even the slightest problem interrupting you, and some of them will get angry at you if you don't stop to help them that moment even if whatever else you are doing is more important or if it might screw up your train of thought making something more risky or dangerous than it should be. Interruptions during med passing is a big one. We have to give medicine to 6 people and some of these people have 20 pills they take. It is difficult to know what each one does, what dosage they take, what dosage they SHOULD take, how to administer it, over how long, any side effects, etc. Meanwhile clients, co-workers and family members will interrupt you for the most banal, non important, trivial tasks and expect them done right away or they immediately want to talk to your boss and complain.

This may sound like I am just complaining and I suppose I am. To be honest, I like the constant moving and thinking on your toes that med/surg offers. The work is fast paced and you have to be a quick thinker and very efficient and I like that kind of environment. However it is easy to see how someone can easily be burned out on it and truth be told, there are days when I want to just punch through every wall I see. Believe it or not, I genuinely enjoy my job and would recommend nursing to anyone, I only bring this up because it is a problem with some work environments and it's good to be prepared for it. It is also good to make others aware of it so we can all work together to change this. Too many nurses who get burned out do nothing to change things. There are problems with nursing, so we as nurses should become agents of change and make our environments safer for clients and less accident prone.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Jesus, that defense of med surg makes it sound even worse than my repeated attacks on it. You could get an entire class of nursing students to bail from the program by delivering it at orientation. :aaa:

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
Wow, after reading that I have absolutely no interest and in fact fear med/surg nursing.How the hell can a hospital administrator allow this to happen? Seems like it will burn out all the decent nurses and leave the ones that don't care to make it even worse.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Snord posted:

Wow, after reading that I have absolutely no interest and in fact fear med/surg nursing.How the hell can a hospital administrator allow this to happen? Seems like it will burn out all the decent nurses and leave the ones that don't care to make it even worse.

That is exactly the point. Individuals who are competent and able will eventually leave to get better or at least less stressful jobs, while all the bad/mean/angry/evil nurses stay behind. The reason some people will complain about med/surg is because they have done it their whole life. The reason others do not is because they used to but now no longer do it, or they work on a great floor with great clients, managers and co-workers.

Since I started working, all of the competent, nice, pleasant nurses have either left, are in school for something else or are planning on leaving in the next few years. The ones that remain are the old, bitter nurses who have worked there for 20 years and hate their job, any students they work with, their co-workers, everyone. It is a sad reality and one that few hospitals are willing to try and fix because it is such a difficult problem to fix.

Part of the problem with nursing today is that new nurses start out on a med/surg floor and after a year or two quickly see it for what it is: fast paced, demanding, stressful and confusing. As a result, they go to a peds floor, an ICU, become NPs, etc. and this in turn leads to there still not being enough med/surg nurses. If you are a med/surg nurse you will always have a job because it is a side of nursing that most people don't find interesting enough (because we don't deal with life threatening things as much as the ER or ICU) or they find it too demanding.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I was curious about this so let's have an informal poll:

What degree do you have? AA, BSN, MSN?
Why did you go into nursing?
Was it your first career?
What area do you work in?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your job on a daily basis?

I'd really like to hear from anyone and everyone on these questions. If you're still in school, you can answer as well.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
I want to ask some peoples' thoughts on this...
So far, this semester, I've found my experience at clinicals to be kinda awkward. Not sure how else to describe it.

Our group is 10 students, and everyone else got divided up into pairs and one group with 3, to each take a hall. I was the odd one out and got placed in a hall all by myself with no other students, and to boot it's the hall where the nursing home has all the patients with severe dementia & alzheimers.

I've been getting through the days OK and being there and working with the people doesn't so much bother me, but it just feels sorta odd being dumped off into water like that all alone, just me and 2 LPN's who don't really seem to like students. I feel like it wouldn't make me as nervous or hesitant if I had another student there with me.

Is it unreasonable of me to think that as a brand new student I shoulda been partnered with someone -- or at the very least if I had to be alone, not on a floor like that? It just strikes me as odd, but maybe I just had a different idea of how it'd be. I want to stress that I'm not complaining, the situation just seems strange.. but maybe it's more common than I think.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem

Datsun Honeybee posted:

I want to ask some peoples' thoughts on this...
So far, this semester, I've found my experience at clinicals to be kinda awkward. Not sure how else to describe it.

Our group is 10 students, and everyone else got divided up into pairs and one group with 3, to each take a hall. I was the odd one out and got placed in a hall all by myself with no other students, and to boot it's the hall where the nursing home has all the patients with severe dementia & alzheimers.

I've been getting through the days OK and being there and working with the people doesn't so much bother me, but it just feels sorta odd being dumped off into water like that all alone, just me and 2 LPN's who don't really seem to like students. I feel like it wouldn't make me as nervous or hesitant if I had another student there with me.

Is it unreasonable of me to think that as a brand new student I shoulda been partnered with someone -- or at the very least if I had to be alone, not on a floor like that? It just strikes me as odd, but maybe I just had a different idea of how it'd be. I want to stress that I'm not complaining, the situation just seems strange.. but maybe it's more common than I think.
You got screwed, you got a lovely assignment with minimal learning opportunities. It happens, keep your head up and keep a low profile. Just suffer through.

By the way first semester is always poo poo. It gets better when you get real responsibility and higher acuteness.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
That sucks. Why couldn't they have two three person groups? :confused:

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Bunway Airlines posted:

I'd really like to hear from anyone and everyone on these questions. If you're still in school, you can answer as well.

1. BSN
2. Working with people, helping people. (That changed quickly for me unfortunately, I still want to help them, but sometimes time won't let you)
3. Yes
4. Did cardiac/tele, but now i'm trying to switch to psych or OR.
5. Was not happy at all with tele, not sure yet about future.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.

Baby_Hippo posted:

That sucks. Why couldn't they have two three person groups? :confused:

I'm not sure... when I rotate off of that floor to the acute care side for 2 weeks, a group of 2 rotate in to my spot, so there's no way it is something logistical or facility related.

HO WELL.

riiviinsGIRLFRIEND
May 20, 2009

Bunway Airlines posted:

1. BSN
2. To help people/job security/don't really know
3. yes
4. Pediatric home health
5. 9

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Thanks for the 2 responses, I'd love to hear from others still :)

freshmex
Oct 24, 2004
Up, Right, Left, Down, Chu, Chu, Chu

4th semester BSN

Was an environmental science major, was not really into it, people kept mentioning nursing (who doesn't mention nursing?) as a new major. I saw that I would only have to take anatomy and physiology as the other prereqs were part of my ENVS major, applied to a bunch of CSUs in CA, got into one, and I am now knees deep into it.

Got into it with zero health care experience, which I don't suggest, but I've enjoyed ICU and plan on eventually going into it.

I knew that I wanted the gently caress out of retail eventually :-)

Hope to eventually get into ICU, will most likely be forced to start off in med-surg.

I'd give being a nursing student a solid 8; I love the challenge/sleepless nights.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
BSN

Helping people and getting paid (pretty well) to do it, just without all the stress, financial cost, and lack of social/family life that plague doctors. Also, after witnessing someone collapse in a restaurant and being just another rear end in a top hat standing around not knowing what to do, I felt awful. I was embarrassed, ashamed, and felt wholly useless and spineless. It made me feel like I'd never really done anything for anyone that truly mattered (I realize, in hindsight, that it was a lot of emo waa waa self pity, but whatever). So I decided I was never going to be that rear end in a top hat again. Now I save lives every day. Or ease them into a death with dignity and as much comfort as possible. It's a pretty sweet feeling.

Nope, union politics. This is also why I'm incredibly cynical about all things political and avoid talking about them at all unless someone's REALLY annoying.

ICU. It's loving awesome for a whole plethora of reasons. Eventually going back to get my MSN for anesthetist, but I'm still a little "all schooled out" after that trip back for my BSN.

Once I'm there, 8-10. Getting up for work still sucks as much as it does for anyone else, but hey, at least it's only three days a week! (Soon to be two, and yes, it'll still count as full time :D)

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I'm a senior in high school right now, and I know I want to go into nursing. The job security, pay, etc sounds really good to me, I'm interested in the healthcare field, and the idea of wiping someone's rear end doesn't really bother me. As far as college goes, what should I except? I want to get to be an RNA, and then go from there as far as getting more schooling or not. How many years is it? And what's this about a waiting list to get into classes? I'm planning to go to Purdue University Calumet.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Lost Downtown posted:

BSN

Helping people and getting paid (pretty well) to do it, just without all the stress, financial cost, and lack of social/family life that plague doctors. Also, after witnessing someone collapse in a restaurant and being just another rear end in a top hat standing around not knowing what to do, I felt awful. I was embarrassed, ashamed, and felt wholly useless and spineless. It made me feel like I'd never really done anything for anyone that truly mattered (I realize, in hindsight, that it was a lot of emo waa waa self pity, but whatever). So I decided I was never going to be that rear end in a top hat again. Now I save lives every day. Or ease them into a death with dignity and as much comfort as possible. It's a pretty sweet feeling.

Nope, union politics. This is also why I'm incredibly cynical about all things political and avoid talking about them at all unless someone's REALLY annoying.

ICU. It's loving awesome for a whole plethora of reasons. Eventually going back to get my MSN for anesthetist, but I'm still a little "all schooled out" after that trip back for my BSN.

Once I'm there, 8-10. Getting up for work still sucks as much as it does for anyone else, but hey, at least it's only three days a week! (Soon to be two, and yes, it'll still count as full time :D)

Are you going to do a 24 hour and a 12 hour shift weekly? Are you sure you can handle that?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Med/surg rant

I'm in my med/surg clinical right now and I'm truly not enjoying it. The only thing I've leanred is that I absolutely do not want to be a med/surg nurse. Everything you said it absolutely correct. I asked my primary nurse to help me move a patient yesterday who was almost completely incabale of moving herself and my nurse barely put her foot in the room before she was distracted by another patient's family member and her phone ringing off the hook. So she had to just leave me hanging. I don't blame her at all. It's the life of a med/surg nurse. Screw med/surg. I absolutely cannot wait until I have my OR rotation next week and I'm really excited for pediatrics/obstetrics next year.

Another thing...I'm almost done with junior year med/surg and I STILL haven't ever started an IV, or inserted a Foley catheter or NG tube. I feel like I've just been a CNA all semester. (Not dissing on the CNAs...they are truly life savers. But I'm not spending the big bucks and doing all those drat care plans to learn to be a CNA!!!!) I'm a bit disillussioned with nursing at the moment and it sucks because I remember when it was all so exciting and new. I just pray I get something cool to learn in the next few weeks. :(

Junior year BSN
Honestly, not really sure. I like the idea of learning about medicine and it feels really good to help people but I never really thought about becoming a nurse before I got married.
I was a business major before I switched to nursing. One of the best decisions I have ever made!
N/A
Right now...about a 4 most days. I'm really hoping it picks up to at least a 7 or 8 when I finally find what I want to do within the field!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Axim posted:

Are you going to do a 24 hour and a 12 hour shift weekly? Are you sure you can handle that?

I'm betting he's going to work as a bailer. Ours work Saturday/Sunday twelves and are paid as though they work 36 hours. They're the counterbalance to the nurses with enough seniority that they can work weekdays only. Bailer positions fill up very, very quickly.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just took the NLN entrance exam. For those that are worried about it, don't be. I'm not an exceptionally smart person, I knew little to nothing about the science section and I did not study. I somehow managed to score into the 97th percentile.

How that works out I don't know because I know I missed a lot of poo poo. Again, for those who are maybe sweating this test, don't.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Mangue posted:

In all honesty, if you want to learn how to put in an IV, drop an NG tube, etc. you probably want to work med/surg for a little while. Not that other specialties don't offer the opportunities but with med/surg the volume of patients allows for a lot more opportunities. I know I complain about med/surg but the truth is I would recommend anyone starting out in nursing start there. It gives you a lot of exposure, helps you stay organized, helps with your multi-tasking and is just a very solid foundation for any nursing practice. The negatives are still there but I use them as a learning tool.

The job is stressful and hard but it is the best learning experience I could have hoped for. When I started I had placed one IV while in nursing school. Now, I am the go-to guy on my floor for IVs because I have had so many chances to practice that I have become one of the best stickers on the floor. Just some food for thought.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
LPN, going to school for my BSN at the time.
Thats a tough one. I had planned on joining the military as an enlist after I graduated highschool but due to a spinal surgery that was taken from me. In the hospital I spoke a lot with a male nurse and decided it didn't sound half bad.. And the military takes BSN nurses as officers. Worth a shot, I figured.
First one. Got my LPN when I was 18.
Psych, formerly hospice.
I'd say around a 7. If I planned on staying in psych for the rest of my life that number would start to dwindle but I still have dreams of hitting up the Air Force as soon as I graduate.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

BSN
A combination of having an interest in the medical field and wanting solid job security with the ability to travel if I wanted.
I worked as a pharmacy tech prior to starting nursing school, but never exactly considered it a career.
ICU, currently cardiothoracic.
3. The unit where I work has some of the poorest management I have ever dealt with. I am working on jumping ship ASAP.

Lobbyist
Aug 2, 2002
Now THAT'S Comedy!
My wife will be graduating in May 2010 with her BSN. How much should she be looking to make off the bat near Chicago, IL? I've heard that some employers will pay your student loans, or send her to get her MSN. Is this true?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
BSN

At the time it came across as a field with decent pay and hours, stability, transportability, and a decent mix of biological sciences, human interaction and minimal math.

Marine Corps, then machinist/machine builder, then health care

It is a Cardiology Stepdown, which translates to MedSurg with telemetry. In January, it is being split and the unit I will end up on will be purely MedSurg Telemetry. I continue to fantasize about going to SICU.

An average of 7 or so; this includes a rough mix of days that rate 9 through 2.

So I work on a 64-bed telemetry dump, in a well-known and very well regarded hospital. The nurses here are unionized, ergo nearly impossible to fire.

RNs tend to be female, tend to be adults age 22 to 50, making pregnancy and nursing (the milking kind) a common occurrence. Not unusual to hear a whirring type of sound coming the employee bathroom. One coworker filed a union grievance because she felt entitled to have a one hour break for every 4 hours she was at work, to go to the adjacent children's hospital to pump. She stated that pumping without taking the time for a stress-relieving walk over the children's hospital would result in milk that was bad for her baby, due to stress hormones.

One nurse was recently "counseled" for leaving her incontinent patient in a pool of her own excrement. When asked to explain her 45 minutes of inaction (the time the call-light was blinking "urgent," a status that begins after it has gone unanswered for 5 minutes) she replied that she was harvesting. In Farmtown.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 17, 2009

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thread necromancy, ahoy! I don't want this slipping into the archives.

For those currently in school, how is the semester going? I've met all the prereqs for my school and they're telling me I won't get into until January 2011. :smith: So I'm going to take some classes to line myself up to get my BSN after I receive by AA.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

I'm in my second semester right now, second week in? We're doing L&D in class although I won't have it for clinical until mid April. I'm stoked to be back in the hospital tomorrow. :woop:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I've got a few questions that are probably simple. I just don't know poo poo at all about going to college, I've been loving off for the past several years of my life since I left high school.

1. I know nursing used to always be in high demand, especially male nurses. Is this still the case even with the economy like it is? I'd just like to not get a degree and not actually find a job. I'm assumming there is always going to be some demand but figured I'd ask anyway, basically how recession proof is nursing is what I'm asking.

2. I'll be going to school part time if I can since I'll be working 30-40 hours a week supporting myself in my own apartment. Is the way getting a degree in nursing works going to allow me to only take 2 or 3 classes a semester?

3. I want to go RN, but is it possible to pick up a LPN on the way? Like say after I'm in school a couple of years, I can get my LPN find a job doing that and work that job while finishing up the RN?

4.I don't know much about pell grants but since I'm mostly broke I'll have to get some kind of grant or loan to help out. I'm 24(will be 25 by the time I intend on starting school) will be living on my own, parents divorced since I was young, Dad is disabled,Mom was making decent money but she quit her job to go back to school recently. Do any of these factors help my cause getting a grant? I heard once I turn 25 that'll make it easier but that information could be wrong. Also I think student loans are out of the question because I have horrible credit like a 500-550, but anything I can get to help. No way I can fork out everything I need.

5. When I was 18 I tried going to college while I stayed with my mom, I wound up quitting while taking intro Math and Literature and got zero's in both classes. The courses were paid for with cash, so I don't have any past grants or loans.Is this fact going to make it hard for me to get back in school or is it as simple as just taking the basics and passing them the second time?

I'm sure these are all easy answers but I'm new to this trying to succeed in life thing so all this is really scary and intimidating to me. Like I'm afraid I won't be able to pay for it, or I will and I'll fail, and just other general anxiety induced thoughts. I have a lot of family that are nurses and my mom is actually taking nursing since she quit her job to go to school. I'd bug her for these answers but out relationship is rocky and I'd just have to listen to her bitch about how I won't succeed if I asked her. I appreciate anyone taking their time to answer those for me!

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I'm Australian currently in the process of applying to school in the US (Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA) with the plan of going into Nursing. I have no idea how the US school system works, I think i'll be hanging out with the international adviser a lot. I got decent marks in HS except for maths but I'm willing to work hard. I took the SATs a few weeks ago - for all the practice exams I got over 700 for the English but between 400 and 500 for maths...like I said I'll work hard!

Does anyone have any general advice for wading through school in the US, with Nursing school in mind?

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
How many of your classmates/coworkers end up dating and marrying doctors?

Also, how did your school portray doctors during your time there (or now)? The reason I ask is because at my school's nursing program, the professors there "indoctrinate" the nursing students early on to despise and/or not trust the doctors they're working with. I'm not inferring this, but simply repeating what many of the nursing students who I hang with say.

Lastly, just about every nurse I have worked with loves to exert his or her superiority over me due their clinical experience. Now, I yield to experience 100% of the time, but why do you think they must make a vocal effort to know that I am "The Med Student" and they are "The Nurse."

Totally Normal fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 4, 2010

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Totally Negro posted:

Now, I yield to experience 100% of the time, but why do you think they must make a vocal effort to know that I am "The Med Student" and they are "The Nurse."

So you don't kill anyone, probably. Or do something dumb and harmful.

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
I'm taking pre-requisites for a different healthcare profession at a community college in the evening. 50% of the students in each of theses classes are nursing program. I think there are about 800 applicants for 80 seats. Most of these people are human garbage who think act like nursing is some get-rich seminar.
I'm glad that nursing programs are intensive and compettive so that these people can be weeded out and hopefully never be responsible for life and death situations.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

BlazinLow305 posted:

1. I know nursing used to always be in high demand, especially male nurses. Is this still the case even with the economy like it is? I'd just like to not get a degree and not actually find a job. I'm assumming there is always going to be some demand but figured I'd ask anyway, basically how recession proof is nursing is what I'm asking.

2. I'll be going to school part time if I can since I'll be working 30-40 hours a week supporting myself in my own apartment. Is the way getting a degree in nursing works going to allow me to only take 2 or 3 classes a semester?

3. I want to go RN, but is it possible to pick up a LPN on the way? Like say after I'm in school a couple of years, I can get my LPN find a job doing that and work that job while finishing up the RN?

1. People will never stop not taking of themselves or getting sick so there will always be a need for nurses. But you should want to get into the job because it's what you want to do, not because it's "recession proof."

2. No. Here is the breakdown for your current schedule, if you are planning on going to community college and have not taken ANY classes so far:

2 years for your associates degree
2 years for nursing prerequisite classes
2 years of nursing school

Of course the first four years will only be accomplished in that amount of time if you seriously bust your balls. You will NOT be able to work more than twenty hours a week at your job while in nursing school, unless you retain knowledge very well or can survive on very little sleep.

3. I don't know where you are but here LPN/LVN programs are only one semester shorter than RN and require all the same prereqs - why waste your time and money if you just want to go on to being a RN?

quote:

Most of these people are human garbage who think act like nursing is some get-rich seminar. I'm glad that nursing programs are intensive and compettive so that these people can be weeded out and hopefully never be responsible for life and death situations.

Uuuggghhhh hate these people! The worst part is some of them ACTUALLY make it through school and become nurses while maintaining this pro-money, anti-patient mentality. One nurse in particular I had to work with a couple of times literally NEVER interacted with her patients. The one time she did I questioned if she even got report on them or checked their charts because she scared the poo poo out of my special needs patient by yelling at him, "SIR WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS?!" BECAUSE HE CAN'T TALK, THAT'S WHY! :doh:

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Der Meister posted:

So you don't kill anyone, probably. Or do something dumb and harmful.

Yea I understand that, but no other health professional goes out of their way to make it that clear, even the "mean old" surgeons I've worked with. Oh well, keep on keeping on nurses, you guys do irreplaceable and invaluable work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Totally Negro posted:

Yea I understand that, but no other health professional goes out of their way to make it that clear, even the "mean old" surgeons I've worked with. Oh well, keep on keeping on nurses, you guys do irreplaceable and invaluable work.

That's 'cause we're on the surgeon's team and not the nurses'... :ssh::hf::smug: