Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I'm thinking about starting an RN program at my local community college here in Florida, but I know that once I would graduate the program I'd want to find a job in a different state ASAP. Could someone explain how it works as far as finishing an RN program in one state, then turning around and trying to get a job in another? What type of licensing/testing has to be done? I really hate Florida, but I can't afford out-of-state tuition. Thanks!

I graduated from nursing school in St. Louis and was offered a job in NYC. All I had to do was fill out the application for registration/licensure on the NY state nursing board website, have my school send them certification of education, and pay like $135. After they received everything I was given a code to use when registering to take the NCLEX that would send my results to NY. You can take the NCLEX anywhere; I actually ended up taking mine in Illinois the day before I moved to New York. I had already accepted the job there and I have no loving clue what would have happened had I not passed NCLEX, but that ended up not being an issue.

Anyway this stuff can vary a lot from state to state, so it really depends on where you want to end up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

What degree do you have? AA, BSN, MSN?
BSN
Why did you go into nursing?
A combination of having an interest in the medical field and wanting solid job security with the ability to travel if I wanted.
Was it your first career?
I worked as a pharmacy tech prior to starting nursing school, but never exactly considered it a career.
What area do you work in?
ICU, currently cardiothoracic.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your job on a daily basis?
3. The unit where I work has some of the poorest management I have ever dealt with. I am working on jumping ship ASAP.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Just accepted an ICU position in Vancouver! If any US nurses ever want to know more about the process of getting a Canadian RN license, drop me a line. It's a colossal time consuming pain in the rear end but I am so happy it worked out.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

HollowYears posted:

Where did you goto school?(I live in winnipeg btw)

University of Missouri. Took NCLEX, been working in the US for two years, now I'm subjecting myself to the CRNE so I can work in Canada.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

patb01 posted:

Does it matter where you get your ADN?

Reason I'm asking is my local community college has a good program which no longer has a wait list but a metric fuckton of prereqs for admission, yet Apollo College has ads up saying they can get you an RN in as little as 18 months. If I go in with some degree mill associates will that hurt me in the hiring process?

It definitely could hurt you, it really depends on the reputation of the college and the demand for nurses in your area. In St. Louis there were a couple of degree mill ADN schools that were definitely looked down upon by the better hospitals in the area. There were also a lot of legit, reputable nursing schools around from which they could hire all the nurses they needed. Also, most degree mill credits won't transfer to a university should you ever want to go back to school for your BSN, which a whole lot of hospitals in my area (NYC) are starting to require of their new hires.

edit: also check the NCLEX pass rates of whatever school you're considering. They should be on your state's Board of Nursing website. The diploma mill schools that I am familiar with both had atrocious pass rates.

otter space fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2010

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

You kind of need one for titrating your vasopressors, or calculating your I&O's.

And calculating AVO2 differences and modified Fick equations for cardiac output.

My calculator gets stolen a lot.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

FICK's are a pain in the rear end I am glad we have CCO monitors on my unit. The way it works at my hospital is that we have a Cardiac ICU which is all like STEMI's and post Cath lab crap. Then across from that unit is mine the Surgical ICU which takes the post op CABG's, Valves, and Heart Transplants, along with every other surgical train wreck. Anyway the CICU side doesn't usually have the fancy CCO swanns w/ SVO2 monitoring and they do FICK's all the time, our post ops always have the fancy Swann's with the digital crap.

Most of our patients are swanned up, but not all. It depends on the surgeon. I'm kind of surprised that your SICU takes on all the post-op cardiac cases; my (now former, I guess) cardiothoracic ICU is strictly an open heart/lung unit, and all the other surgical train wrecks go to the SICU side. Each ICU is managed completely differently. It's the most dysfunctional place I've ever worked though, which is why I just bailed for a new job.

I'm curious, how are your patient/nurse ratios in your ICUs?

edit: nm, saw in one of your previous posts that you never go above 2 patients per nurse. We get tripled assignments ALL THE TIME. Our manager, who is a dialysis nurse and never worked a day of cardiothoracic ICU in her life, thinks that once a patient is extubated they must be stable. Some seriously unsafe poo poo goes down in that unit on a daily basis.

otter space fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 30, 2010

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Can anybody that's done both the CRNE and the NCLEX comment on the similarities of both?

There are absolutely no similarities whatsoever. I walked out of the NCLEX knowing that I passed with flying colours and I walked out of the CRNE wanting to vomit. The CRNE exam has very little to do with actual nursing and instead asks a lot of really weird nebulous psychosocial questions that don't have concrete answers. It's also a paper and pencil exam that you have to wait six fun-filled weeks to get the results of.

otter space fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 13, 2011

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Taima posted:

My girlfriend wants to do a nursing degree at University of Phoenix. I've heard a lot of bad things about for-profit schools in general so I'm wondering if this is a good option? Thanks.

It can be very, very difficult to find medical facilities to do clinicals when you are not affiliated with a local nursing program. If the clinical rotation information is not clearly outlined or at least accessible from the university, walk away and go somewhere else.

I also recommend that your girlfriend watch this Frontline episode about how predatory online for-profit nursing programs can be.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

boneration posted:

My partner and I are sweating bullets waiting for her CRNE results :( She spoke to several people from her graduating class who received theirs yesterday and so of course the mind wanders to "they are sending out the failed results later!"

edit: the more reasonable assumption would be that Canada Post sucks and there is variation in delivery times, I guess.

Oh man, you have my condolences. If I had to sit through a postal strike to get my CRNE results I would have been an absolute anxious wreck.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

mary brooke posted:

Any ICU nurse goons around? I start in the SICU next week! I'm reviewing common drugs used in the ICU and caring for patients on ventilators, but would love to take any suggestions on areas I can review so I can hopefully start ahead of the game. I've worked on an acute rehab unit for the past two years as a tech, but I'm a brand new RN. I was so determined to get an ICU job but now that I have it, I'm getting kind of nervous!

Make sure you know how to interpret ABG results and know when/what ventilator changes to make based on those results.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Slore Tactician posted:

I, along with many other respiratory therapists, will slap the poo poo out of you if you touch my vent. But PM me any questions you have about how it interacts with the patient and so on. It's a simple concept with a complex execution.

I spent several years working in a terrible hospital in NYC that had one RT covering 4 ICUs. If I didn't touch your precious vent, patients got sicker.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Baby_Hippo posted:

Speaking of scrubs.....does anyone here wear scrub dresses? At my new hospital a lot of nurses and cnas do and it's something that is new to me!! I'm tempted to go that route but feel like I'd have to wear a bandolier for carrying everything...which I'd be ok with.

I always wondered why anyone would wear these, it makes zero sense to me. Ever had to do chest compressions on a patient who arrested and is lying on the floor? I'd rather not be worrying about whether or not I'm giving the rest of the code blue team a free panty show.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

I just got hired to cicu after 2 years of telemetry/medical experience. Does anybody have any recommendations for websites or books dedicated to cardiac surgery? My unit didn't really do any post operative cardiac surgery so that's one thing that'll be pretty new to me and I'd like to have at least some idea about it before I dive into this new wonderful world of lunacy.

You should absolutely get this book. I started in cardiac surgery ICU as a new grad and I learned a ton from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Perioperative-Adult-Cardiac-Surgery/dp/1444331434

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

I'm an old salty veteran ICU nurse and that post made me cover my mouth in horror. :stonk:

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Given the vast numbers of visitors/hospital staff that walk into our ICU and are completely oblivious to the giant 'please proceed to the next nursing station' and 'press green exit button on wall, do NOT push door open' signs, nobody is going to pay any attention to those stupid vests if they want something anyway.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Our ICU docs are really great about intubating and throwing lines into their ED consults before having them transferred to us. It helps a lot. I try to look past the terrible handover and bed full of poo poo because our ED is a constant three-ring circus of violent psych patients and drug ODs and I wouldn't work there for any amount of money.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

It hasn't been accurate for years.

My former colleague just told me that the CTICU where I spent a few miserable years at the beginning of my career is being dismantled, and services moved to another hospital with an already established cardiac surgery program. All of my former coworkers were basically told to get hosed, and best of luck finding a new job somewhere else.

It's always good to remember that your employer does not and will never give a single gently caress about you. I had to leave the country to do it, but I will never work for a non-union hospital ever again.

otter space fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 12, 2014

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

New grads in St. Louis started at around $17 in 2008, which is why I left an otherwise amazing hospital to work in NYC. I had student loans to pay off.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Lots of people hate Danskos since Dansko ended its contract with Sanita and moved production all over the place, resulting in lovely inconsistent-quality clogs. Sanita still manufactures the clogs under their own name and they're still pretty great, IMO. I know they're not for everyone, but I like that the lack of squishy padding and glued on parts means they last for years longer than a pair of sneakers. Also my patient population tends to drip and leak everywhere so I like that I can Cavi-wipe them off after a shift. I'm not a fan of porous mesh-topped shoes.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

I had a manager who was very vocal about her preference for hiring men because they don't go out on maternity leave for a year at a time.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Atma McCuddles posted:

Wow that's almost illegal to admit, your manager was pretty smart!

It may be part of the reason she's no longer our manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

my hospital has a 'fatigue policy' where we're only allowed to work five 12s in a row before we have to take a day off, but this is in Canada where employers give the tiniest bit more of a poo poo about their workers.