Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here have experience at going from terrible grades in another major into being accepted for a nursing program? I am a 3 year Electrical Engineering major and I hate my field, so I am looking at going into an RN program. The downside is, my grades are TERRIBLE due to the EE classes that I sucked at. Any advice on how to improve my chances at getting accepted into a program? Should I find out what the prereqs are for my school and just take them over and try to ace it or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm looking at entering a nursing program this fall or maybe spring semester. I have a ton of undergraduate credits and would like to go for my BSN, but I don't think that is feasable due to my GPA being pretty low. The price to pay for being an Engineering major and hating your classes.

Any who, I've applied at the local community college for the RN program. Chances are pretty good that I won't have a problem getting ito it. I've been doing a little research on the school, and it appears that they just received their NLN(?) accredidation. However, word of mouth on the school do not appear to be good. I keep hearing things like "disorganized, administration people are assholes, instructors are assholes but generally fair etc. etc."

I realize this is an extremely vague question, but does anyone have thoughts or experience in getting a degree from a school that wasn't exactly top notch? I guess the main upside I've heard about the school is that very few people fail to pass the NCLEX.

*I take that back, it looks like in 2007 they had a passing rate of 73%. Well, poo poo.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 9, 2009

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm thinking about starting an RN program at my local community college here in Florida, but I know that once I would graduate the program I'd want to find a job in a different state ASAP. Could someone explain how it works as far as finishing an RN program in one state, then turning around and trying to get a job in another? What type of licensing/testing has to be done? I really hate Florida, but I can't afford out-of-state tuition. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the information on getting jobs in different states. I would like to move to the Wyoming or Colorado area and start working there. gently caress hot Florida.

Another vague question. When coming fresh out of school, what do potential employers tend to look for more, when hiring? Do they heavily weigh your GPA in nursing school, or are they just happy you passed the NCLEX? Do reviews/evaluations from clinicals weigh more than anything else?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mason likes onions posted:

Tons of great information...

Thanks for all this.

I really wish this thread would get a bit more love. I don't know anyone who is a nurse so most of the information/opinions I gather is from here and the rest of the internet.

Does anyone have any crazy stories or experiences from the first few months you started working as a nurse? Was it what you expected it to be? Any advice for someone just starting up the program?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm an RN-applicant at my local school, starting up my prerequisites in August. One of my classes will be A&P I. I've heard that this class is a kick to the nuts and weeds out a majority of people, and I've heard it ain't too bad. Is the class worth doing a little preemptive studying over the summer?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Vague question, ahoy! How worried should I be about the NLN I have to take in October? I have an extremely solid math background and decent verbal skills.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Avalanche posted:

Woah, my local CC has a 96.8% pass rate in 07, and 98% in 08. I thought this school was a shithole.

Maybe i just might go back to school and get an ADN afterall. My BA from UCLA is loving useless. :D

Soooo tempting...

The CC that I'm attending has a passing rate of 68% I think. :smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just took the NLN entrance exam. For those that are worried about it, don't be. I'm not an exceptionally smart person, I knew little to nothing about the science section and I did not study. I somehow managed to score into the 97th percentile.

How that works out I don't know because I know I missed a lot of poo poo. Again, for those who are maybe sweating this test, don't.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thread necromancy, ahoy! I don't want this slipping into the archives.

For those currently in school, how is the semester going? I've met all the prereqs for my school and they're telling me I won't get into until January 2011. :smith: So I'm going to take some classes to line myself up to get my BSN after I receive by AA.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Webman posted:

Quoted for posterity.
There were people in my A&P course that wanted to be doctors and nurses and ended up failing a 100-level bio course. These weren't 18 year olds fresh out of high school, but people in their 20s.

Also, people were frightened and disgusted by frogs in formaldehyde and sheep pluck. How the gently caress are you going to change the dressing on a gangrenous wound or even a bedpan if you can't handle the same dead frogs that they let 7th graders dissect?

I had a girl in my A&P 1 class who wanted to be a nurse but she WOULD NOT touch the dead cat we were dissecting. She was gagging from the formaldehyde. I think she is doing PT now. Don't they still have to deal with people making GBS threads themselves?

My A&P2 class had its first exam yesterday on the endocrine system, blood and cardivascular system. The class average was a 64%. This was on a multiple choice test and the teacher gave us powerpoints that had all the testable material on it. Hell, you didn't even need to read the book. Coming from an Electrical Engineering background, it blows my mind that people are doing this poorly. The material isn't difficult to understand but just requires a little effort to learn.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

science pole posted:

No love for psych nurses? I just graduated with my BSN and I am working a hospital psych floor. I love it but is this going to make a transition to ED or more medical floor difficult? We don't do much medical stuff. I know it may make things more difficult but please elaborate.

How do you like the psych floor?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Axim posted:

Scary poo poo about the psych ward...

Thanks for posting that. I honestly don't think I could work in the mental health field. I really don't like not being able to get a read on somebody, makes me uneasy. When checking on patients, do you roll around in pairs? I know the female staff have to worry a little about being overpowered before help can arrive.

Science Pole posted:

I absolutely love it. I've been holding steady around an 8 most days. It's an adult population by the way with average pt stay of around 6 days.

Into my third week I was attacked. Bi polar manic tried to wrestle me to the ground and was going for my throat. He got close enough to scratch my throat a bit, didn't realize I was scratched til later of course. I lift weights (i knew there was a reason why!), so I used brute strength to control him until help arrived. I couldn't remember any techniques!

Anyway I still love it.

What is the protocol when being attacked by adult men? Are you allowed to protect yourself by whatever means necessary, or are you just supposed to try to restrain him until help arrives? I can't imagine only being allowed to hug someone while he is punching me in the face.

Is the pay for working in the psych ward above typical nursing pay? It would seem like it would have to be for putting up with what yall have to.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Baby_Hippo posted:

I'm supposed to do that this semester and I am soooo not looking forward to it. The only one I've seen in the hospital setting was horrifying, the nurse went super slow, pt started throwing up blood as a result and was immediately shipped back up to ICU. I felt so bad for him. :ohdear:

I'm really interested to see how I'm going to handle seeing something like this. I've seen a fair amount of blood but nothing extremely traumatic like guts hanging out, limbs severed, people writhing in agony. I like to think I'll be able to take it in stride but I guess I won't know until I see it.

In that spirit, for the former and current students, what was your first big "HOLY poo poo! No way that dude is going to live!" moment?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

clubfedgoon posted:

People keep saying nursing is a recession proof job, which seems to have a lot people enrolling in public colleges and for profit schools(they are advertising like crazy on TV right now) to study nursing. With everyone running to this field won’t we see a lack of positions in the next three to four years when these people begin to enter the workforce?

I'm thinking with the burn-out rate of the job and the difficulty of the school itself, hopefully there will always be openings. Also the recession hopefully has bottomed out and we can slowly inch our way back to a decent economy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gilese posted:

Just noticed this awesome thread here, I'm going to be starting my pre-reqs in fall and I'm really excited. I wound up in a career that I have no real interest in and the only reason I kept with it is because I'm good at it. The only thing I'm nervous about is I'm currently working a full time job and I know I'll eventually have to leave. Which will severely hurt my income but I suppose in the long run it will be beneficial to my income.

This is what is going to suck for me. I'm on my 2nd semester of prereqs, and have been working full-time for both. I'm hoping to start the actual RN program in August, worst case by January for sure. I'm wondering how long I can last with working full-time, clinicals, class and studying. I've heard everyone saying that the RN program is so hard that there is no way to work and pass it. I have to believe that they are exaggerating a bit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

smushroomed posted:

Passed my NCLEX-RN

How hard was the NCLEX for you?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Do we have any traveling nurses in here? If so, could you share some of your experiences with it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, poo poo. I wasn't supposed to start my RN program until January. I receive a call this morning stating a seat opened up for the August class. We have a class meeting on Tuesday and the program starts August 23rd. Hooray!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm officially accepted into the August 2010 RN class. I have my first day of orientation tomorrow! Who else is starting their program this year, or is currently in the program?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

patb01 posted:

Best of luck there, I've started the Liberal arts prereqs for nursing, then I have to petition the school for admission then take a basic patient care class before starting the nursing cirriculium. so I've got at least a year before I start the core classes.

Thanks. I need to purchase a stethoscope here in the next few days, does anyone have a recommendation? I know jack poo poo about makes and models for anything in the medical field. I have a big head, if that helps in the recommendation.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Iron Squid posted:

So my first two weeks of LVN school are behind me.

I'm absolutely astounded at how many of my classmates cannot do basic math.

Thats one thing i wont have to worry about after studying engineering for 2 years. I just got 9 of my books in today, and holy poo poo thats a lot of reading. What chapter covers being a hero?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How hard is it to get certified in states other than the one you graduated in? I'm in Florida right now and as soon as I pass the NCLEX, I want to head to Wyoming or Colorado to work. Is it typically easy or a pain in the rear end process?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MissAnthropic posted:

As I understand it, it's pretty easy, you wouldn't even get your license in Florida. Ask one of your professors, most of them seem to be answering those questions a lot in my school. God knows you're not the only Florida new grad bailing on this miserable state.

I'm graduating with my BSN and would just like to say, no, it's not a whole lot easier for BSNs versus ADNs. We're all in the same situation here, and I'm pretty butthurt that I started one of the most 'in demand' degrees only to get to graduation and find out I have to live in bumfuck Idaho if I want to work. I can't stress enough the importance of working in a hospital as a tech or something while you're in school--it's about the only in you're going to have. I speak as someone who didn't do this and instead kept their far better paying office job. I'm now pretty much totally screwed.

Right now everyone's berserking over the exit exam and the NCLEX. Frankly I think the job situation we're all coasting into is a lot more to worry about. There are kids hanging out in the lab that graduated a year ago and still don't have work.

I visited New Orleans over the summer and I actually really loved it there. It's not bumfuck Idaho. I was wondering...shot in the dark really, but does anyone know about the hiring situation over there? I should think there'd be a pretty large demand for health care folks over there even now, since they seem to be recruiting people in general to move there still. I just...really, really don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. :(

I'm a bit worried about the job market myself even though I won't be graduating for a few more semesters. The only upside I have is that I have nothing to tie me down at the moment, so I'm willing to move anywhere in the country to get that magical first year of experience. Hopefully with that first year of experience, things will open up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with Androids, do you have any favorite work-related applications?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Pod posted:

There's a critical shortage of nurses in my area (Pensacola, FL) and, from what I understand, if you work here for a certain amount of time, you can get your student loans forgiven.

What hospital? I'm a nursing student doing clinicals in Pensacola. I haven't heard anything about shortages in the area, just that it was hard to get hired here as a new grad. Do you know what new grads make in this area?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just finished up my first semester of nursing school, coming into it with absolutely zero medical experience. Honestly, I didn't find it too challenging although I'm sure it will pick up in the following semesters. The toughest part for me is getting over my nervousness when doing procedures that causes the patient pain (wound dressing changes). I guess I'm too empathetic at the moment, if thats possible.

My clinical experience (med/surg floor) was surprising in that there was a shitload of downtime for us students. We were assigned 1 patient, so after the morning vitals/give bath/ make bed chores, we typically just stood around until we repeat it in the afternoon. I got to do a couple of interesting things, such as doing a wound vac dressing change on a patient missing half her shoulder, and doing dressing changes for a patient that was shot 5 times. We do not get to do anything IV related until the third semester, so most of what we did was pretty mundane.

All in all, I'm happy with the way things are going and I live to see the next semester.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 13, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Axim posted:

I'm a psych RN, but I never heard of seperate psych programs for RN's, only NP and such. I finished a 4 year school, got a BSN. If you have any questions for me, shoot.

Axim, do you have any new viewpoints on working psych since you last posted about it a year ago? Are you still happy to be working psych compared to telemetry? Can you give us an example of what your day to day job is like?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HollowYears posted:

Yeah, this thread solidified my interest in becoming a nurse.

I just want to be the only person I know with a four year degree with a job :)

I don't want to poop on your parade but from everything I've been reading/hearing, new grad nurses are having just as hard of a time finding a job. I think once you have that first year of experience, you can pretty much write your own ticket. It doesn't help that everyone and their sister has decided to become an RN since the economy went into the shitter.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

picklejars posted:

Someone mentioned this on the med school thread, so I thought I'd let you guys know, too.

Amazon is offering almost all of the kindle ebooks of Kaplan exam prep books for free right now. I am pretty sure this includes the NCLEX. It also includes the GRE for those of you that are looking into graduate school for a nurse practitioning program. Just put Kaplan in the search box and the name of the test your looking for.

Good luck!

I just got this and told my class about it. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It does indeed look like that kindle deal is dead.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am currently in nursing school in Florida. I know right now that its pretty drat hard to find a job as a new grad. When I graduate, I'm willing to move anywhere to get that first job. My question is, how does it working in a different state than the one you graduated from and took the NCLEX in?

Can I graduate, pass the NCLEX and then start applying for jobs throughout the country? Or do I have to try to get certified in any states that I apply in, or how does that work?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A couple of questions for those who are currently a RN:

- How long did it take from graduation till you received your license?

-How long from when you received your license till you got your first job?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished my second semester of nursing school! I should be graduating this time next year. I am having to take OB/Pediatrics over the summer which should be interesting. As a male who has zero interest in the birthing process, I'm sure I'm in for quite the experience.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Totally Negro posted:

Why is it the case everywhere? And are you sure it's everywhere, you mentioned MA, which is another highly desirable place to live. If I were to go out to bumfuck, montana, would I easily find a nursing job?

Pardon my naive questions if they seem that way, I am just trying to get a feel for why the nursing profession is having this problem. I've always been under the impression that as a nurse you could go anywhere and find a job...

Why are hospitals not hiring? Are the current nurses just taking up more shifts because they're strapped for cash?

I'm still a student but from the research I've been doing, most hospitals don't want to take on new grads. They want at least a year of experience. Down here in Pensacola, it seems each hospital has about 25+ RN positions open but they are firm on requiring 1+ year of experience.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I start my Ob/Peds rotation on Monday. Should be very interesting. On a side note, I am interviewing for a patient tech position at one of the major hospitals in the area. Did anyone here work as a tech while in nursing school? Did they follow up and hire you on as an RN when you graduated?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've made it half way through my OB clinicals. I was playing with babies all last week in the new born nursery, and today I was in L&D and was allowed to observe a C-section. Pretty neat stuff. I had no idea that the surgeons did that much tugging and pulling on the abdominal cavity to create room for the baby's head. Tomorrow is the day I'm not really looking forward to, antepartum. As a single guy with no kids, I haven't quite become comfortable around assessing extremely pregnant women.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 28, 2011

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dr. Capco posted:

I was in the same boat last semester but my instructor told me that 1. lots of these women have male OBGYNs and a good portion of them are used to being assessed by males and 2. as long as you're professional and ask permission before doing anything uncomfortable for either of you most of the time you'll be ok. I even did a cervical exam on a patient last semester and nobody cared much at all because I just went in and told her that I was a student and wanted to get a good, well rounded experience experience in OB but if she was uncomfortable with me doing anything to let me know.

If you go in all awkward and timid then nobody's going to want you to do assessments on them in any department, so be confident. I hated OB but sometimes you gotta do some awkward poo poo if you're a nurse, this won't be the last time you'll have to do something you don't want to, so embrace it and then it'll be all over with.

I made it through just fine. It was slow as poo poo on the floor, only had 1 patient since there was a bunch of students up there. I passed some meds, did an assessment and pretty much just listened to the patient vent for the most part. Easy peasy. I have one more day in the newborn nursery and then I move on pediatrics.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

boneration posted:

Results received: pass! Celebratory drinks and dinner all round!

Congrats! Does she have a job lined up yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here have any experience with the field of nursing informatics?