Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddkoiout
Apr 30, 2007
Hi, I'm currently in my second year in Nursing School in the Philippines. This is my story.

I heard of the waiting lists, and my grades back home (in the states) weren't so hot, so I gave nursing school in the Philippines a shot. I passed the entrance exam, and made it into their BSN program. I have a free room at my one of my Uncle's houses, near the College that I go to.

It was a huge pain in the rear end, because I couldn't really speak the local dialect, there was so much culture shock, and I had to take so many stupid prequisites like P.E., and English. Not to mention how insanely conservative everyone is (it is a Catholic school in a province...when I told people I'm not religious/agnostic, they gave me funny looks).

But, somehow I survived, now I'm in my second year, second semester. I've been exposed to Hospital Duty, and it's a blast.

It took me a year to learn the local dialect. It's the only way I can communicate with teachers, my classmates, and my patients..about that..

Today I was tasked with taking vital signs of an assigned patient. He was an old guy with a kidney stone, he looked lonely, and so we talked. He asked me where I'm from, and I told him that my family is from a town nearby. He then asked me if both of my parents are Filipinos, and I responded "yes." Then, afterwards, he gave me a quizzical look of disbelief. I can't blame him though, I am kind of big, have fair/pale skin, and my American accent mixed in with their dialect sounds a bit off.

I had all sorts of funny reactions from patients, thinking they had a foreign nurse. Some panic because they think I'm unable to speak the dialect.

Anyway, I have 2 more years to go before I finish my BSN. After that, I take my diploma, and go back to California, and take the NCLEX. I'm a dual citizen (Filipino/American) so it's easy to do.

I'm hoping it'll be easy to find a job after I pass the NCLEX, with me having a BSN degree from a foreign country, I mean.

One of the main reasons I chose going to school abroad (besides avoiding the godawful waiting list, and prequisites) was that I was told that I can skip the Filipino local boards, and go directly back home to the States, take the NCLEX, pass it, then work afterwards. I hope I can still get to do that after I graduate.

I also, hope that if I do land a job as a BSN Nurse, that I'll be able to branch out to different fields of my choosing like ER, or Psychiatric, and not be locked into basic nursing work without the ability to verge to a different specialty since I have a foreign BSN nursing degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU