Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Man this thread turned ugly quick. Bree, you seem a little pissed off at nursing in general. You should also know you're coming across as that guy who is king of mediocrity mountain and wants to poo poo all over everyone else while remaining oblivious to the very modest nature of his own achievement.

You work in acute rehab, dude. Most nurses would rather fellate a shotgun than set foot in your unit. That doesn't make you a badass - it makes you a dude working where most nurses would never even send a resume. Congratulations on being (in your own estimation) the best of the desperate.

How you've convinced yourself that you're qualified to sneer at ADNs is completely beyond me.

Hey, I work acute rehab and aren't an rear end in a top hat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Yes! I got the ICU job I wanted. Its the same hospital system but I don't start training til May; my current unit desperately needs me and cannot part with me til then. Since I haven't been here a full year I can't do anything about it. Luckily the ICU is totally fine with that.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
We used to have to wear white shoes then my hospital system got on a serious health kick and had some shoe sales. They sold all these colors of normal people shoes. Now I can wear my red nikes no problem. If only I can eventually get rid of this stupid white uniform.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
The ICU I work in is just filled with guys. Mostly on night shift too.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Yep. My hospital system is nicotine free.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Roki B posted:

Any hospitals test for being a great big fat person?

My hospital system also gives us money off our health insurance if we are under certain wts. Also strongly encourages fatties to enroll in certain health and wellness programs.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Wow necrotizing fasciitis is so fascinating. I had an ICU patient tonight with it and I could see both testicles and nearly all the piping. :captainpop:

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I wore a tight polo as possible so the manager new I could def help lift or move or be compressions every time

Weebly fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 6, 2015

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
drat, my hospital just instituted $10/hr extra incentive pay for this and next month.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Our hospital system has us wearing only straight white scrubs. I have like 4 pairs pants just because I like the ones with the zippers for my peehole. We can also wear hospital system branded T-shirts they give us constantly. So I wear those because im a sexy ICU nurse

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Funny story: My friend recommended me for the job in the current ICU job I have. The same day the unit's manager calls me to set up an interview I get the rejection letter from HR/Staffing that they are looking at other candidates. And when I went for an interview there, I saw one friend from high school and another from nursing school.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Always enjoy being able to lay one out when changing an ostomy

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I just use our hospitals preprinted report sheets. Pretty much everyone else uses them and we just go point by point. Also were supposed to use the epic handoff sheet

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I'm sorry upset doesn't exist. I don't have that option on my charting. You can be uncooperative, aggressive or agitated. Please act accordingly.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Do we have any Carolina nurses here? My friend and I are finishing our traveling contract here and are looking to go South. Any god awful places to stay away from?

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Decided I liked my current travel assignment so I extended. Sure the pay here in south Florida isn't anywhere great but I've become certified in scuba diving and that's just tops here. Bring on the unbearable heat

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
675 pound female patient. Got tubed as I came on shift. Thank god for wave cap because the CXR couldn’t penetrate effectively. Image being too fat for an X-ray

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
We can barely turn her in the bariatric bed. Luckily our icu has a few rooms with bariatric lifts in the ceiling.

We also got to play “did the catheter actually get into her urethra?” Imagine being so fat that a 20 minute debate between an ICU MD, a fellow and urology cnp and urologist at a world ranked hospital happened over your Foley.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I work ICU in Ohio. We haven’t been hit to hard with Covid yet but we’re designated to take sister hospitals covid patients. We can manage just about everything here except ECMO. Those will go to our main.

We had our first Covid + last week that was super sick. Proned twice etc. Now they are slowly trickling in. 3 total critical ones. 2-3 moderate but improving.

I was able to have the 1st covid be able to FaceTime his wife and kid once he was more stable after the pronation. Took a few days but I feel accomplished.

Our PPE is enough. Our census is actually down so we are lack of working some nurses but our system expects the worst in May. I’ve seen recent RNs from our unit who went to other areas in the cafeteria lately. They’re all being retrained to be beside RNs and being put into a labor pool for later.

They’re are already plans in place for us on what will be expected as our staff suffers medical or LOA attrition.

Our staff really wanted scrubs to be provided to us. The administration figured out the logistics for it and we have them today. Now they want to be able to wear their own jackets/fleeces or undershirts cause the unit is cold :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

combee posted:

Thanks all. I’ve now done a week of solo work as an RN and it’s been full of ups and downs.

Some days are pretty manageable, I get by and don’t feel terrible at the end.
I’ve learned to make peace with the fact that I can’t do 100% of everything I would ideally do each shift, and that’s ok.

However, I have been thrown into a couple of situations here and there where I think “gently caress, I have no idea”. I ask for help and I do my best but I still come out frazzled and feel like I’m not good enough to be here. The last thing that made me feel that way was a transfer from ICU; they were stable but had a few things being monitored that don’t usually come up on my ward. I was so focused on juggling my patient load and the patient was presenting as stable, and I missed something that came up on one of the things we were monitoring. Thankfully a more experienced and relaxed RN noticed this and escalated it for me, and the clinical review didn’t result in any interventions (doctor just noted what had been seen and increased frequency of obs) but gently caress me if I don’t feel like poo poo. This all happened at the end of my shift too and I felt like a real piece of poo poo, handing off this mess to the next nurse.
I know this experience will help me to remember not to be so task orientated that I miss the bigger picture but what else can I learn from this? I know you learn from experience but I still feel poo poo and dumb as gently caress.

I went from nearly 10 years of ICU work to a relatively relaxed ER about a year ago and I’ve just started to feel comfortable. It’s mostly about time. The fact you’re beating yourself up over it means at least you’ve got introspection to set you up for growth.