Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Datsun Honeybee posted:

where I live (Arizona) the community colleges have waiting lists of about 1.5 yrs. for the associates degree programs.

Which college are you going to? I'm finally ready to apply to the program at PVCC just gotta wait for my drat fingerprint card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

After a year and a half of waiting I finally got placed for the Fall '11 program at my local community college! I'm so excited. Now I just need to get all my financial aid in order so I can get out of my lovely food service jobs.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Datsun Honeybee posted:

As a recent graduate of a nursing program in Phoenix (but not at PC) I've heard plenty about a lot of the local programs over the years. PC's is not that great (some say it's notoriously bad, actually) -- there were a few students in my program who left it in favor of a community college program. The private school of choice seems to be Grand Canyon...which is very expensive however.

The wait lists for Maricopa district's community college programs are very, very long indeed (I think it's up to over 2 calendar years now). I myself waited 2 years to get in. However, I heard so much about how bad it is to try and get through an awful program. Nursing school isn't easy to begin with, and it's hard to justify going through it in a terrible program that just wants your money and couldn't give a poo poo about making sure you're going to be a safe practitioner.

So, I have two points to make about it -- first, I think it's worth it to wait to get into a good program where they actually try to teach you if nursing is something that you really want to do. Second, with the way the job market is right now the additional wait may not be so bad in the end! Part of me kinda wishes I had an excuse to futz around some more on student loan money instead of braving the world of cold-calling and accosting unit directors in person.

I'm starting my program at GCC in August. Which school did you graduate from? Have you had any luck looking for a job?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

My instructors really hammered it into us that you need to aspirate.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Baby_Hippo posted:

Number of times I aspirated while doing an IM: once, during skill check off.

Not even at clinicals? We're giving flu shots tomorrow and we were reminded again today to aspirate.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jim Jones posted:

ICU RN here. Get used to completely conflicting and contradictory medical information from several different sources throughout your career. Welcome to medical!

I know you don't do a whole lot by the book, but couldn't doing an IM without aspirating cause an OD if you've hit a vessel?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

So I've got my Block 1 HESI exit exam coming up next Tuesday. Any suggestions on how to prepare/study for it?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Baby_Hippo posted:

Don't? Isn't that the point?

Why wouldn't I? It counts towards my overall grade and I'd like to do well.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I got to help out with a stem cell transplant at clinical the other day in a pt with ALL. I had always thought I wanted to do ED/OR after school, but after that experience I'm starting to think BMT may be my calling.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I finally finished my second block today! Now I have to wait until grades go up sometime tomorrow.

It feels weird knowing school is over for three months; no studying, no care plans, no patient prep. How do I adjust to being a real person again?

Luckily, a friend of mine has an in at a screening clinic, and I may be able to do some volunteer work.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

breebellucci posted:

I'm not sure where you guys work at but I live and work near Washington DC and there is a huge foreign population here.

I work with nurses that did not receive the level of education I received, there's no loving way. Their nursing practice and personal standards regarding patient care are the worst I've ever seen outside of a nursing home. I realize that it's racist and irrational to blanket a whole continent as incompetent because sure there are a few nurses that do care and continue to learn and grow. But the majority of foreign nurses that I have encountered have in no way received the level of education that I have, there's just no loving way, none.

Tell me how as a new graduate nurse three years ago I was the best nurse on the entire unit? With nurses from every African nation and 5, 10, 20+ years of nursing experience. I'm not going to continue to argue this because it's largely personal opinion. I agree that if I still lived in Delaware that I wouldn't feel so strongly, because there aren't as many foreign nurses in Delaware and the majority of nurses that I worked with there received Bachelors degrees from reputable American Universities.

Are you going to tell me that there is no difference between nurses who receive a BSN from a competitive and reputable University versus those who go to a community college and bang out an ASN? gently caress off.

gently caress you, the community college I'm going to has not only the highest NCLEX pass rate of the entire community college district, but is also higher than 3/4 of the major universities here. Talk to any of the 15 people that didn't make it though Block 2 about "banging out" that ADN. I've just about put my entire life on hold to get through this measly community college program, so you can gently caress right the hell off.

Never mind the hospital I'll be doing my peds rotation at no longer allows students to pass meds, because they recently had four med errors within 48 hours, made by your prestigious University students.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Last month I finished an LPN transition course (halfway through my program), and I'm considering sitting for the NCLEX. I don't know if it'd be worth $500 to get licensed though, as I'll be done in a year; I know most hospitals are phasing out LPNs, and I'd rather not work in a SNF (though I guess some experience would be better than none).

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

dissin department posted:

the only thing i miss spending time with is my bed ):
Yeah, go ahead and kiss any kind of sleep routine goodbye as well!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

I'm only in my 6th week in the program but from what I've experienced, I kind of regret going to this school (Northern Virginia Community College). Everything is just a giant mess and it doesn't seem like anything is structured or on the same page.

Judging by my school (which for the most part I think is great), and stories I've heard from other people, this is almost always the case. It's like the faculty make a point to communicate with each other as little as possible.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

JAF07 posted:

With rare exception, you're going to encounter teachers in a nursing program that have no business teaching at all. Since so few nurses actually want to get into teaching, the programs pretty much have to take what they can get. This leads to horrible personality clashes, extreme disorganization, poor classroom performance, etc. Your best bet is to learn how you best compute the information, and then study independently with your methods.

I've been really lucky, and have had consistently great teachers so far through the program (except last semester - both our instructors wrote questions for the NCLEX, so their tests were absolutely horrific; still great teachers though). The problem just seems to be a complete lack of communication/organization.

For instance, this semester, I have clinical all day Tuesday, then lecture Wednesday from 8-2:30, and a test from 3-4:30 basically every other week. I'm already exhausted from clinical, and sitting through lecture for that long just fries my brain. The lecture the day of the test is material we won't actually be tested on until the final. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

front wing flexing posted:

I am a huge idiot.

Oh wow.

He considers RNs an "entry level" position? Holy Christ.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

boneration posted:

Coloring books.

Seconding this, really helped with blood vessels and nerves.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I'm finishing up my third semester here next week, and I have to wonder, is horrible unorganization just something that comes along with nursing school?

Last week, after class we had our instructor for next semester come talk to us, and she handed out sheets with the four different clinical sections. We were told to rank them in order of preference. I stayed after and talked to her about the one I chose working best with my work schedule, and she even let me look through everyone's selections; my rotation only had 8 people in it, and can fit up to 10. I carpool with a friend, which they also take into consideration.

Over the weekend, they decided we're going to enroll ourselves, and clinical rotations are on a "first come first serve" basis, and registration opens at 6 AM Wednesday. No biggie, I figured, I'll just wake up early, get ready for class, then be on my computer ready to sign up by 5:55.

BUT NO

Today at clinical I found out it's been changed ONCE AGAIN: registration is now December 11 (I have to work), in person or on the phone. No option to do it online. Clinicals still first come first served. I've already been hearing several people talking about switching to the clinical section I prioritized. Which is fine, I could still likely end up at another hospital I loved my time at, even if it means loving my work schedule up even more.

I just don't understand the complete lack of organization, things like this have happened constantly over the last year and a half. Has anyone else had the same sort of experiences?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

CancerStick posted:

I'm only finishing up my first semester, and while it hasn't been that extreme, we just switched from quarters to semesters. I am the first group on semesters. There has been a lot of, "You'll have to excuse us as this is new for us as well.." throughout the semester. That has been getting old. I get it, but you've had how long to prepare for this transition so get your poo poo together.

Quick question of my own, what are the secrets to getting cheap books? Make sure I'm not missing anything. I usually use Amazon and check various book rental services. That kind of bit me this semester as the assessment book I am using I rented and really want to hang on to it so I may now just buy it. But, our next semester is Intro To Clinical with a lab portion and a clinical portion, pathophysiology, and pharm. I added up the cost of all the text books for next semester and if bought new through the schools bookstore it is over $1,000. I'm obviously not going to be buying new, but god drat.

Yeah, it's hard to "get my poo poo together" when the school can't be bothered to do the same. I kind of rely on them to be organized in order to be able to plan things out and be prepared.

In regards to your books, the publisher our school goes through usually offers eTexts that are a lot cheaper than the physical books. We're also lucky and have a bookstore across the street that's substantially cheaper than the school's, and the school bookstore will actually price match anything we can find over there. Then there's always Amazon.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

My school is a pretty disorganized mess as well. I sent a fairly lengthy 6 page complaint letter objectively listing everything that was wrong with the program from a collection of students. It was in returned, met by a quick speaking from the Assistant Dean who basically gave us the politicians run around saying that that's the way things are and that YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.

Some of the points in the email were...

Community Based Nursing Class:
-The lectures, textbook, and powerpoints did not correlate to the exam at all.
-Constant changes in due dates in assignments, documents were posted everywhere in no organized fashion online.

Nursing Lecture:
-ABSOLUTELY NO COORDINATION.
-We had about *10 DIFFERENT* lecturers this semester. About 8 of them just read from the powerpoint. Oh, we had mandatory attendance too.
-Multiple instructors giving out different instructions on what the right procedure actually is.
-Assignment names / what is being asked to be done often does not have the same matching names.
-About 3 different due dates written in various places.
-We have two different groups of students, a LPN to RN class and a traditional RN class. The LPN class have been able to review their exams on the same day as well as dispute poorly worded questions and argue answers. The traditional class had to wait a week to review the exam, if we wanted to dispute it, we needed to see our "Gradekeeper" which often was not possible since they only had a 2-3 hour time window once per week. Oh and if you do not see them in that week, you're basically SOL because they have a rule that once you take your next exam you can't see the previous exam.
-Lectures do not reflect what is on the exam.
-They say that "critical thinking" is a main focus point for nursing, which it is and I completely agree, but they do not enforce or teach that type of thinking in anyway.

Nursing Lab:
-Lab Testing: Lack of lab supplies. We have to use gauze to imitate alcohol wipes, and old syringes / needles that get a ton of air in them.
-Every single instructor who oversees the actual lab exams have different standards. Also it was extremely apparent that depending on how they felt that day (if they had a bad day or not) they would be less lenient.

Clinicals:
-Let's just say we have had two major incidences so far. One being a huge medication error of a narcotic being given to a wrong patient (We aren't even supposed to be giving out medications unless our instructor is there with us). And the other being a student stabbing herself with a live epipen because she was holding it upside down.

And on books? I can't really suggest anything, they made us buy two years worth of books ($1200~) at the beginning of the program. Can't really buy used because it comes with about 3-4 online codes that you need to use and buying the codes directly from the vendor costs just as much as buying a used book + code.

/rant

Yeah, I have a lot of similar complaints about my school. This semester we had three different instructors (one each for peds, med/surg, and OB) and they all had completely different expectations, ways of teaching, and tests. Our OB instructor overloaded us with so much information (8 30+ page PowerPoints in 5 weeks); she didn't even make it to the last two, and the material is still on the final next week.

I am going to be sending a similar letter once I graduate. My school has the highest graduation/NCLEX pass rate in the district, I don't understand how.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

b0nes posted:

How are you guys paying for school? Straight out loans or scholarships or what?

Basically loans and grants cover my bills, and I work maybe 15-20 hours a week for some extra spending cash.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

b0nes posted:

Are you finding general grants or nursing specific grants?

Just Pell grants and Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized because there's no way I can work enough to support myself).

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I passed my last semester with an A! My preceptorship starts on Thursday, and I graduate May 8. I'm so excited.

Except for shelling out almost $600 to take my NCLEX.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Fatty Patty posted:

wtf? what state do you live in?

Arizona. $300 to apply to the Board of Nursing, $50 for a new fingerprint card, $200 to register for the NCLEX.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

After waiting for school to release my transcripts, I finally have an NCLEX date! I had a Kaplan Live Review class after graduation which seemed to help, besides doing ~100 questions a day and practice tests is there anything else I can do to prepare?

I scored above 900 on my exit HESI, which is supposedly a good indicator I'll do well on the NCLEX. I know the difficulty was bumped up this spring though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats on graduating and getting everything lined up. How long are you waiting to take the NCLEX? To prepare for the NCLEX, I completed about 80 Kaplan practice questions a day and read the rationals. Between your live review and doing questions, I'll think you'll be just fine.

And for comparison, I scored whatever was equivalent to a 65% on my exit HESI and I passed the NCLEX in 75 questions.

I graduated on May 8, I finally got my authorization to test on Tuesday and scheduled for June 6. Wanna get it over with before everything starts leaking out of my head and (more importantly) start looking for a job!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

velcro and proud posted:

Just got my license printed out from the state, officially an RN now.

Step 3. Profit...

sup new RN buddy :hfive:

I took my NCLEX yesterday and got the "good" pop up using the Pearson Vue trick, and this morning the board of nursing site confirmed I passed! I can't wait to get my license number later and actually start applying for jobs.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone know what the job situation is like in Wyoming? I've been applying to every new grad job I can find with Banner Health, I'd like to stay in Phoenix but I'd be willing to move if it means getting a job.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just got hired for an oncology position after only one interview! I don't start until July 15 but I'm beside myself with excitement.

The only thing is, I have another interview tomorrow at a different hospital owned by the same company. I did my preceptorship there and had lots of nurses recommend me to their manager, so I think I probably have a good shot at a job. Is it smart for me to mention the job offer I got today at my interview?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I would say absolutely not. If they offer you a position, compare the two and go with what works best. From what I can see, nothing good comes from telling them you have your eyes on another position.

That's what I figured. I'd prefer this job over the one I just took, I'll just keep my mouth shut and hope for the best.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on Kaplan vs Hurst?

Never heard of Hurst, but we had a Kaplan review class included in our tuition. Out of a class of about 90, only one person has failed the NCLEX so far.

I have one more day of training/orientation at my new job, then I finally have my first day on the floor Friday! I'm so excited.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

LoveMeDead posted:

I loved the Hurst review, but I know other nurses I graduated with loved Kaplan. It depends on what you feel like you are having trouble with, content or test taking strategy.

I was pretty good at test taking by the end of nursing school, but after my Kaplan review class I could answer questions without even knowing the medications/disease processes I was being asked about. It definitely helps with test taking skills. Can't speak at all to Hurst, though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Greys anatomy scrubs are the only scrubs worth buying. They're more expensive than most other scrubs but they're comfortable, last longer and look good. No issues with lint in my experience.

I don't like Grey's Anatomy, I don't know if it's a guy thing but I could not find a single top that had waist pockets. And everything falls out of every pants pocket ever. They are super comfortable though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just finished up probably the worst weekend I've had since I started working in July. On Saturday night I had a patient go into a major sickle cell crisis (in the middle of a transfusion, thought it was a reaction) and then he had a full blown seizure. In addition to two total care post-ops and everybody wanting their pain meds as soon as they're available.

My everything hurts.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Liquid Chicken posted:

People really are their own worst enemy.

Yep. I had a patient a while back who had to have a couple toes amputated because of uncontrolled diabetes. I was reading through the doctors' notes, when he came into the ED his foot had gaping wounds crawling with maggots :barf:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Roki B posted:

Hahahaha white uniforms are the highest form of condescension from a hospital.

I don't get the white uniform thing, of all colors why the hell would you want a nurse to wear white? "Here, let's make it as easy as possible to see all the bodily fluids I've dealt with this shift."

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

whatshesaid posted:

Have not been in this thread in a while. I tried search and got nothing.
Did anyone here do the "Pearson Vue trick" after taking the NCLEX? Did it work as promised by nursing message boards found through a quick Google search, or did you have something strange happen with it?

I'm taking the NCLEX-RN in two days. My state is one that does allow you to pay $8 for results after 48 hours, so I'll definitely be doing that. But I will also be on my phone immediately after the exam trying to get that "good pop-up."

2 days :ohdear:

The Pearson Vue thing worked for me, I checked maybe an hour after my NCLEX and wasn't able to reregister. It was confirmed on my Board of Nursing's verification site a couple days later.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Looke posted:

What an absolute loving tool. I literally cringe when someone points out that I happen to be a male nurse - who really gives a poo poo? That said it's more humiliating being asked if I didn't get into medical school...

Yeah, I'm the only guy on my floor and everybody's always making jokes about it, but it's in good fun so who cares. I still have lots of patients who think I'm a doctor, despite the fact that I introduce myself as a nurse and am wearing the same blue scrubs as the other nurses. I always get asked, "So, are you going to be a doctor?"

My sister did get me one of those stupid action figures when I graduated, which I promptly lost.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Roki B posted:

I want to hear stories of student nurses who end up killing a patient.

Go.

I don't know the specifics, but when I did my pediatric rotation students weren't allowed to give any medications because a student nurse from one of the state universities made a big med error. I don't think it killed anyone though.

That didn't stop them from letting me push atropine in the ED! :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

After an interview at the Mayo Clinic on Monday, I got a call back today that I've been hired on the Bone Marrow Transplant unit! I'm beyond excited; I spent some time there during a clinical rotation and that's what I've wanted to do for a couple years now. Also, pretty terrified.